Master of the dark arts Bill Snyder signs extension

Posted 539 day(s) ago 1203 Views 34 Replies
    vCash

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_...ff-for-k-state

Kansas State coach Bill Snyder has signed a five-year contract extension through the 2017 season, the school announced Thursday morning.

The school announced the deal pays Snyder $2.75 million for the 2013 season, with annual increases of $100,000 in each season thereafter.

"Coach Snyder's daily drive, focus and energy in continuing to build the K-State football program are truly remarkable and inspirational," athletic director John Currie said in a statement. "While he is not one to focus attention on himself, President (Kirk) Schulz and I felt that it was important to recognize in this very significant way his tremendous leadership and commitment to continuing to lead the K-State football program."
    The following users like this post: Morningwood

vCash

He's a hell of a coach but I question the 5 year deal. Bully for him for getting the money, but I would bet he won't be around for 5 let alone 3 more years.

vCash

Good for him

vCash

It’s pretty amazing how he identifies and signs so many players that few others want and in most years is able to field a very competitive team.

Since we live in a small populated state with so many small towns in our area it would help if OU were better able identify and sign a few more under the radar recruits who turn out to be very good college football players. This takes a coach with an ability to project a player’s development path but we may not have that on our staff with this special ability.

vCash

We need to make that ol' geezer soil his Depends next year, dammit!
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

vCash

Bill Snyder is the exception that proves Switzer's rule of Jimmies and Joes.

vCash

Originally Posted by palisooner View Post
    To a degree that’s true,,,,
    But just as all other very good OU teams had, Switzer's best teams always had a few very good college football players who few others wanted.

vCash

As far as coaching goes Snyder may be the very best. While posters like soonerlife were saying he isn't that good a year or 2 ago I was disagreeing.. The guy is truly one of the greats..

vCash

What is that rule ? Don't remember that one.

vCash

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    To a degree that’s true,,,,
    But just as all other very good OU teams had, Switzer's best teams always had a few very good college football players who few others wanted.
    You mean like Steve Davis?

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    As far as coaching goes Snyder may be the very best. While posters like soonerlife were saying he isn't that good a year or 2 ago I was disagreeing.. The guy is truly one of the greats..
    Two years ago the program - although not in 1989 sort of shape - was sucking air badly. He can not only coach but he can rebuild also.

Didn't he say you don't win with X's and O's but with Jimmy's and Joe's?

I like Snyder and he is great for KState. I've always wondered if he would have the same success somewhere like OU, Bama, ND the perennial big dogs. He made his name bringing KSU back from the abyss, I just wonder if his methods would work at a more established place. I understand KSU is NOW a contender, just don't know how it would fly somewhere else. He is/was perfect for KSU though

vCash

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    You mean like Steve Davis?

Two years ago the program - although not in 1989 sort of shape - was sucking air badly. He can not only coach but he can rebuild also.

You bet he can..

vCash

Originally Posted by Sooner209 View Post
    He's a hell of a coach but I question the 5 year deal. Bully for him for getting the money, but I would bet he won't be around for 5 let alone 3 more years.
    I would have probably made it a 3 year deal but maybe he insisted on 5.. I know what you're saying he ain't no spring chicken..

vCash

Didn't he say you don't win with X's and O's but with Jimmy's and Joe's?{Soonerlife quote}

Yep, I believe you are correct..

vCash

K-State owes everything it has become to Synder. He has helped transformed that university in so many ways. I think he deserves to be paid more than he is.

vCash

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    I would have probably made it a 3 year deal but maybe he insisted on 5.. I know what you're saying he ain't no spring chicken..
    He'd be 78 if he coaches all five years. This is what he does so I wouldn't be surprised if he finished it out. It seems pretty common these days for coaches to sign for more than they coach

vCash

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    He'd be 78 if he coaches all five years. This is what he does so I wouldn't be surprised if he finished it out. It seems pretty common these days for coaches to sign for more than they coach
    Yep

vCash

are they going to bury him in one of the end zones when he dies?

Originally Posted by Sooner209 View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure K-State had that figured out.
    But what you meant to say was "3 more years, let alone 5."

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    are they going to bury him in one of the end zones when he dies?
    Well, it IS called the Bill Snyder Family Stadium.......
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

vCash

liked for 'master of the dark arts'
    The following users like this post: Ibi unus Oklahomae

vCash

Someone tell Kstate "Don't be poor."
    2 users like suncoastsooner's post: Ibi unus Oklahomae, madillsoonerfan5353

"Master of the dark arts Bill Snyder"

Well played

So much for this being a "Young man's game"
    The following users like this post: madillsoonerfan5353

vCash

I would think he would be wanting to retire and spend time with his family. This really surprises me.

vCash

His kids thank him for the extra money

vCash

Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    Well, it IS called the Bill Snyder Family Stadium.......
    So he has his own private cemetery. Allsome.

vCash

vCash

as all average coaches secure after we shit the bed against them.... the list is getting a bit long.

vCash

Originally Posted by Soonerlife View Post
    Didn't he say you don't win with X's and O's but with Jimmy's and Joe's?

I like Snyder and he is great for KState. I've always wondered if he would have the same success somewhere like OU, Bama, ND the perennial big dogs. He made his name bringing KSU back from the abyss, I just wonder if his methods would work at a more established place. I understand KSU is NOW a contender, just don't know how it would fly somewhere else. He is/was perfect for KSU though

Soonerlife, with Bill Snyder's attention to detail, and work-a-holic ways, his keen eye for identifying very specific skillsets and tailoring them into his a very defined philosophy on offense and defense, I just do not see how he would not have been successful anywhere else he coached. I see lots of parallels between he and Bill Bellicheik of the Pats... Now imagine if Darth Synder had access to the pick of the Litter in Texas, Florida & the South, and or Cali. Yeah, that would be like removing the salary cap for the Pats.
    The following users like this post: Saul Good

vCash

Originally Posted by Spade1000 View Post
    Soonerlife, with Bill Snyder's attention to detail, and work-a-holic ways, his keen eye for identifying very specific skillsets and tailoring them into his a very defined philosophy on offense and defense, I just do not see how he would not have been successful anywhere else he coached. I see lots of parallels between he and Bill Bellicheik of the Pats... Now imagine if Darth Synder had access to the pick of the Litter in Texas, Florida & the South, and or Cali. Yeah, that would be like removing the salary cap for the Pats.
    I totally agree. I wish we had gotten him at OU instead of blake.

vCash

Good. It helps the conference if K-State stays strong.

vCash

Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    Good. It helps the conference if K-State stays strong.
    True.

Originally Posted by Spade1000 View Post
    I'm not saying he wouldn't be successful just curious how it would have went. He built KSU on the back of juco's. Which is fine. But to just say wholesale he would be as successful anywhere else, we just don't know. Again I'm not knocking the man he is a fine coach. At KSU he had the freedom to do all he did. Would he have had the same freedom somewhere else? I think his methods would do great in the NFL but at a traditional power in college I'm just not as sold.

vCash

Originally Posted by Soonerlife View Post
    I'm not saying he wouldn't be successful just curious how it would have went. He built KSU on the back of juco's. Which is fine. But to just say wholesale he would be as successful anywhere else, we just don't know. Again I'm not knocking the man he is a fine coach. At KSU he had the freedom to do all he did. Would he have had the same freedom somewhere else? I think his methods would do great in the NFL but at a traditional power in college I'm just not as sold.
    I also remember you saying he would fail when he came back to coach K state again.. We argued about that.. You said he was too old and couldn't get the recruits he needs and you said a lot more negative things as well about him.. You seemed to think because he never won a NC at Kstate he wasn't worthy of being called a great coach. Now, You say you like him and are not knocking him ? Come on man.. You have the right to your opinion but the man is a great coach.