OU vs K-State II

Posted 638 day(s) ago by Bennie Owen7084 Views 178 Replies
Page 4 of 4 2 3 4
    our bench nearly outscored our starters.....
    26-24
    starters shot a horrible %....

this one hurts, kinda reverted back a little bit. sucks really especially with what happened in Lawrence today.

Originally Posted by SoopaSooner View Post
    Does Hollis still play overseas?
    Pretty sure he does.

Haven't read any of the thread to this point. My thoughts are this. . . anytime Grooms outscores Pledger we are in trouble. Still, we almost stole it. Sucks. We really could have used this one, especially with OSU winning in Lawrence.

OU vs K-State II

3 game skid here we come.

Yeah! KSU CATS!

Originally Posted by Winters View Post
    Yeah! KSU CATS!
    Just like football?

14 turnovers
    lousy free throw shooting...
    lousy shooting ...38%......starters shot 29%

our starting back court had 6 pts.....wonder if that's ever happened before....

grooms had 13 minutes...
    he should have had twice that...

Re: OU vs K-State II

From what I've seen lately ..Fitz and Grooms need more minutes.

Originally Posted by Sooner 4 Life View Post
    From what I've seen lately ..Fitz and Grooms need more minutes.

i think fitz has been getting about what he needs...
    i was shocked grooms didn't finish out the baylor game when we couldn't break their press...
    i was surprised it took so so long to get grooms into the game today....
    hornbeak has really struggled with turnovers and he hasn't had a field goal in 2 straight games....
    grooms has saved our bacon several times this season....
    we lost by 2 to sfa when grooms had a concussion...
    and i think he would have made a huge difference today...
    The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    i think fitz has been getting about what he needs...
    i was shocked grooms didn't finish out the baylor game when we couldn't break their press...
    i was surprised it took so so long to get grooms into the game today....
    hornbeak has really struggled with turnovers and he hasn't had a field goal in 2 straight games....
    grooms has saved our bacon several times this season....
    we lost by 2 to sfa when grooms had a concussion...
    and i think he would have made a huge difference today...
    You know I'll be the first to ask for more minutes for Sam, but there were a couple of important times today when he was out of control and threw the ball away. I guess the bottom line is that if Fitz and Grooms both get a bunch more minutes it means we're regressing into pa similar team as last year. I do think, however, both guys have earned a few more minutes per game. The real question of this game is Pledger. Where the hell was he? I can only assume his defense was so poor Coach didn't think he could have him in the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he played the last 6-8 minutes of the game. All of this and we STILL almost beat them.
    2 users like Mahler's post: mexican/ninja, Sooner 4 Life

Does anyone think KSU just is not a good match up for us?
    I mean, they shut down our inside game both times we played them, and have athletes that can defend all our positions all over the court and force us into tough shots. They have a good coach who has them playing pretty well, and KSU is now sitting solely in second place in the big XII.

I think we played pretty well yesterday considering we shot like shit, had an ass load of stupid unforced turnovers, got absolutely nothing from Pledger, and got little from Osby and M'Baye. Our defense held them and kept it close even in the stretch to end the 1st half and start the 2nd where we did not score for about an hour and a half.
    This team will live or die by what our young guys do... and that's not just for this year. We are still sitting on the bubble, and if we can get one at ISU then we are in an okay position to possibly get in the tourney. But its not like we will be an elite 8 team. We are building for the future with the young guys we have. If Pledger doesn't show up, then Kruger isn't going to waste his time and efforts trying to figure out why or how to fix that in a game like yesterday, when it is more beneficial for our future to have guys like Hornbeak, Hield and Cousins out there getting experience.
    Props to Grooms. He was ready to play and single handedly got us back into it at the end.

Originally Posted by SoopaSooner View Post
    Does Hollis still play overseas?
    He previously played for BC Lietuvos Rytas of Lithuania's LKL, ALBA Berlin of Germany, Le Mans Sarthe Basket of France, and CB Sevilla of ACB. In the Euroleague 2007-2008, Price was the top scorer of the BC Lietuvos Rytas and its main play maker. Price was the first player signed by Dynamo Moscow following the hiring of coach David Blatt.
    He joined Olimpia Milano in 2009.[1][2] In February 2010 Price moved to Artland Dragons.[3] On August 3, 2010 he returned to ALBA Berlin by signing a one-year contract,[4] but was released in February 2011.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollis_Price

It's amazing to me that any college level team can go 10 minutes+ without scoring. That's ridiculous.

Originally Posted by SoonerSean03 View Post
    It's amazing to me that any college level team can go 10 minutes+ without scoring. That's ridiculous.
    Yeah that was pretty ugly.
    But at the same time, we held them to what, 6-8 points?
    I'm curious to see next year how we replace Osby. If we can get some inside talent to balance us on offense, we could be pretty good.

As long as we got a win during this rough 5 game stretch, we are okay. And luckily, we already got one in the baylor win. Assuming we win @ tcu, @ tech, and either @texas, @ OSU, or @ ISU, I see us in good shape. This loss sucks though, and it is interesting since we swept k state last year.

I think we can beat Iowa State, they've sort of been struggling lately. We should handle TCU, Tech, Texas will be sort of tough since its in Austin and I don't think we'll beat OSU.

Originally Posted by mort6481 View Post
    As long as we got a win during this rough 5 game stretch, we are okay. And luckily, we already got one in the baylor win. Assuming we win @ tcu, @ tech, and either @texas, @ OSU, or @ ISU, I see us in good shape. This loss sucks though, and it is interesting since we swept k state last year.
    True... but I don't think the big XII gets more than 5 teams in the dance. And maybe only gets 4 in.

OU vs K-State II

Sounds about right. Lets hope both Grooms and Pledger get on board and start playing tough defense.

Originally Posted by Mahler View Post
    Sounds about right. Lets hope both Grooms and Pledger get on board and start playing tough defense.

pledger wasn't much help on either end of the court against kstate...
    grooms otoh.......would have helped alot in breaking the cats' pressure.....but i guess if he gave up easy baskets on defense......it's a wash....
    i think grooms has the athletic ability to play defense.....i guess he just needs to decide mentally to put forth the effort...
    i think he would have made a difference if he had played more minutes..

pledger wasn't much help on either end of the court against kstate...
    grooms otoh.......would have helped alot in breaking the cats' pressure.....but i guess if he gave up easy baskets on defense......it's a wash....
    i think grooms has the athletic ability to play defense.....i guess he just needs to decide mentally to put forth the effort...
    i think he would have made a difference if he had played more minutes..
    Its pretty obvious with Pledger. He has trouble keeping up with his guy a lot. And offensively if he has to really work to get open, it seems like he just dissappears. Grooms had a good spurt at the end of the game Saturday... but I'm not sure he would have made much difference in the first half.
    The problem for both of those guys is that if they aren't going to produce, then Kruger will play his younger guys. The message is two-fold... Grooms and Pledger sit the bench because they aren't working hard, and Cousins, Hornbeak, Hield get their minutes if they do.

Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    Its pretty obvious with Pledger. He has trouble keeping up with his guy a lot. And offensively if he has to really work to get open, it seems like he just dissappears. Grooms had a good spurt at the end of the game Saturday... but I'm not sure he would have made much difference in the first half.
    The problem for both of those guys is that if they aren't going to produce, then Kruger will play his younger guys. The message is two-fold... Grooms and Pledger sit the bench because they aren't working hard, and Cousins, Hornbeak, Hield get their minutes if they do.
    i think hornbeak/cousins/grooms all have deficiencies wrt playing point guard....
    kruger has to decide which one gives him the best chance to win....
    i think he waited far to long to insert grooms against kstate.....
    hornbeak didn't score...he turned the ball over....and the final straw was the technical...
    cousins did only slightly better......he seemed out of control on offense....but played decent defense
    i think grooms ball handling was needed....and his aggressiveness driving the lane...
    kruger will be forced to take the bad with the good until woodard shows up on campus.....

Guard play was really ugly. As I sat there in the stadium I wondered why the hell Grooms wasn't in all the way up til the last couple minutes. Comes in and gets a great full court lay up to spark some energy. Grooms moves good with the ball to help beat the full court pressure but he gave up some points on the defensive end that really hurt at the worst possible time. KSU hitting 3s to kill our momentum really hurt. Iowa St straight killed us on 3 pointers last year so if we don't do something different to defend that, expect the same outcome.

Originally Posted by Bk2X View Post
    Guard play was really ugly. As I sat there in the stadium I wondered why the hell Grooms wasn't in all the way up til the last couple minutes. Comes in and gets a great full court lay up to spark some energy. Grooms moves good with the ball to help beat the full court pressure but he gave up some points on the defensive end that really hurt at the worst possible time. KSU hitting 3s to kill our momentum really hurt. Iowa St straight killed us on 3 pointers last year so if we don't do something different to defend that, expect the same outcome.

yeah....iowa st shoots lights out from three.....and we don't.....and we don't defend well beyond the arc....
    this one could get ugly.......i think we lose by double digits....
    i bet grooms gets alot more pt tonight

Grooms' best asset is what we REALLY needed against KSU: He can break down his man one on one and get into the lane with the ball. Hornbeak, Cousins and Hield (and Pledger too) all have trouble with beating their man one on one.

Unfortunately, his defense is really bad and he tends to lose his man quite often. He turned his head in the final 10 seconds of the game the other night and let Rodrgieuz drive right past im him for the gamewinning layup (where he got fouled). He also cant consistently shoot past about 10 feet.

Are they still showing practices live? The link I had saved for live video doesn't work for me anymore...

Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    Grooms' best asset is what we REALLY needed against KSU: He can break down his man one on one and get into the lane with the ball. Hornbeak, Cousins and Hield (and Pledger too) all have trouble with beating their man one on one.

Unfortunately, his defense is really bad and he tends to lose his man quite often. He turned his head in the final 10 seconds of the game the other night and let Rodrgieuz drive right past im him for the gamewinning layup (where he got fouled). He also cant consistently shoot past about 10 feet.
    yeah.....we really needed his steady ball handling...
    and cousins/hornbeak can't shoot consistently either (lately).....
    i would have put grooms in in the first half.....see what he could/would do......wouldn't have hurt.....the way hornbeak/cousins were playing...