Story of the 1985 Ice Bowl game I had not heard.

Posted 540 day(s) ago 2227 Views 29 Replies
    vCash

ESPN Story of the 1985 Ice Bowl game I had not heard.

I'm reading the book "Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN"

And in the book an ESPN producer recounts the Ice Bowl, and how they were losing cameras and cameramen to the weather, and after the game had ended they were tearing down their gear and noticed 2 people sitting in the stands long after the game. So they went to investigate why people would still be sitting in this miserable weather. It turns out it was a man and a woman, and the woman had gotten shitfaced and pissed herself, but it was so cold that she was now stuck to the metal bleachers, so the guy was pouring hot coffee on her to try to get her unstuck. In the end the ESPN guys used chisels to break her free.

vCash

Ah, that ended better than I thought. I thought it was gonna say they were dead.

Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like an average Friday night for me.

vCash

http://youtu.be/DVXFS6nzJrU?t=3m6s

Bob Barry talks about it here as well

I was one of the idiots that actually attended this game. It was SO ****ing cold. I spent the 4th quarter on the OU sidelines huddling around a heater. Security wasn't quite what it is today and I think somebody on the OU sideline felt sorry for my dumb ass

They were pokie fans, right?

The story has been around for decades. I'm still amazed that we haven't found out who it was.

Originally Posted by BajaOklahoma View Post
    The story has been around for decades. I'm still amazed that we haven't found out who it was.
    I first heard it just after the game, not on the radio but from people around joking about it. To be honest I can't remember if it was OU or poke fan. All I know is I was freezing my ass off and will never forget Jamelle telling Switzer "jokingly" you ****ing lied to me you said it never snowed here. As a cali dude he was not happy with the cold ass weather. All in all was a great day just cold as shit
    The following users like this post: BajaOklahoma

vCash

It was in the newspaper a day or two after the game. Hardly untold.

vCash

Only made it to halftime........brutal

He'll yeah

vCash

colder than the B12 championship in arrowhead in 07... My toes got really really cold in 07 game in 85 game my head, hands, ears, n balls nearly froze off, but my toes were colder in 07.... Crazy huh? There was a creepy weird freezing cold wind freezing my toes to death that night in arrowhead....in 85 of a dozen or so of us (w a couple gallons of smuggled in hard liquor punch)only about half made it thru the game ... Very brutally cold game..

vCash

Wasn't that cold...

vCash

Originally Posted by LostCreekSooner View Post
    Wasn't that cold...
    I didn't get that cold. Had on my dad's pea jacket and a pair of Walls coveralls. Nothing gets through that. I remember the lighting to the north, ice lightning.

Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    Ah, that ended better than I thought. I thought it was gonna say they were dead.
    LOL.. Me too! I was there. Damn it was cold. Remember going to the bathroom (apparently a place these two didn't think existed in rustoleum stadium) after half and the band members were in there with blue toes and feet. It was brutal.

vCash

Originally Posted by 85sooners View Post
    He'll yeah
    He will?

Watched it on TV, real proud we won. That has to be a record for that type of environment.

Originally Posted by Lexusooner View Post
    colder than the B12 championship in arrowhead in 07... My toes got really really cold in 07 game in 85 game my head, hands, ears, n balls nearly froze off, but my toes were colder in 07.... Crazy huh? There was a creepy weird freezing cold wind freezing my toes to death that night in arrowhead....in 85 of a dozen or so of us (w a couple gallons of smuggled in hard liquor punch)only about half made it thru the game ... Very brutally cold game..
    Driving to the 07 game in KC was crazy. We saw maybe 3 cars on 44 due to the ice. We never got above 45 until we got to Missouri & the minute we crossed the state line, the roads were perfectly clear. Made us realize just how bad our road crews are in OK.

Our seats were on the front row of the end zone & there was a barrier wall in front of us that trapped all the water coming down from behind us, creating a puddle that almost went over my hiking boots. 2 of my friends only wore tennis shoes & left at halftime because their feet were so cold & wet. It payed off though because at the end of the game the players all started celebrating right in front of us so we got to congratulate them & get a bunch of pictures.
    Last edited by SoulRebel; February 1st, 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Originally Posted by SoulRebel View Post
    Driving to the 07 game in KC was crazy. We saw maybe 3 cars on 44 due to the ice. We never got above 45 until we got to Missouri & the minute we crossed the state line, the roads were perfectly clear. Made us realize just how bad our road crews are in OK.

Our seats were on the front row of the end zone & there was a barrier wall in front of us that trapped all the water coming down from behind us, creating a puddle that almost went over my hiking boots. 2 of my friends only wore tennis shoes & left at halftime because their feet were so cold & wet. It payed off though because at the end of the game the players all started celebrating right in front of us so we got to congratulate them & get a punch of pictures.

2007 Championship Game was in Houston. The 2006 and 2008 Championship games were in KC. Which years are you both referencing?

Originally Posted by ptlandman View Post
    2007 Championship Game was in Houston. The 2006 and 2008 Championship games were in KC. Which years are you both referencing?
    San Antonio

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    San Antonio
    Right.

It would have been 2006.

2008 was cold but not that cold, and 2006 is the year we had the big snow storm here in KC the week of the game. The snow storm became an ice storm in OK, hence the bad roads in Oklahoma.

Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    I'm reading the book "Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN"

And in the book an ESPN producer recounts the Ice Bowl, and how they were losing cameras and cameramen to the weather, and after the game had ended they were tearing down their gear and noticed 2 people sitting in the stands long after the game. So they went to investigate why people would still be sitting in this miserable weather. It turns out it was a man and a woman, and the woman had gotten shitfaced and pissed herself, but it was so cold that she was now stuck to the metal bleachers, so the guy was pouring hot coffee on her to try to get her unstuck. In the end the ESPN guys used chisels to break her free.
    My brother and I drove to this game. Wasn't that cold when we arrived in Stillwater and it was raining. Temps dropped about an hour before the game so all the rainwater turned to ice and the falling rain turned to sleet.

We were going to leave at halftime, but we went into the restroom to get warm before leaving and decided it wasn't that bad after we warmed ourselves. So we stayed the whole game.

I can't really compare it to the Big 12 championship games in 2000, 2003, 2006 and 2008 as they were all cold. Once it gets that cold they are all on the same level.

Originally Posted by SilksKS View Post
    It was in the newspaper a day or two after the game. Hardly untold.
    Congrats on looking like a douche bag.

We played Nebraska. Could have sworn it was in 2007. Guess it was late 2006 then.

vCash

my dad got some free tix to the osu-Colo game in Stillwater in '86... an old-time usher told my dad this story, but said the frozen poke lady was released by pouring leftover coffee from the concession stand on the seat...

vCash

This thread was much more disgusting than I had anticipated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

vCash

We played Nebraska. Could have sworn it was in 2007. Guess it was late 2006 then.
    We played Nebraska , I had terrible end zone seats n there was water n freezing swirling winds freezing my toes!!! I guess it was 06, either way it was cold feet day!!

vCash

2007 was Mizzou in San Antonio.