I actually like some things Stoops said here

Posted 539 day(s) ago 2987 Views 58 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2
    vCash

Stoops I actually like some things Stoops said here

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...oners-24378738

He knows that a large portion of OU fans expect him to field a team that competes for and wins a NC every 5 or 6 years on average. He makes a good point about ND coming out of nowhere to play for one this past season. One thing that gives me some hope{Not much} Is, Young defenses play better than young offenses most of the time. Maybe the defense will be improved.. I hope we come out of nowhere and win it all and I have to eat my words about thinking Bob should move on.. I hope.. If we have a great season I'll be glad to say, I was wrong.
    The following users like this post: oupunk

vCash

Today is first time I had read the entire article.. Stoops said many things there that had not been posted without clicking on the link, I didn't.. I'm certainly not saying I think Bob will get everything fixed and win a NC. I'm saying, after reading it all, I like some of his comments and I hope he does .. Point ?

After 14 seasons at Oklahoma, Bob Stoops understands the all-or-nothing culture that surrounds his Sooners.

Anything less than a national championship equates to a disappointing season in the eyes of many. To some degree, that includes Stoops.
    This is a remarkable generalization and this statement applies to a very, very, small percentage of the fanbase.

The Sooners finished 10-3 for the second straight season and head into the winter smarting after a 41-13 throttling at the hands of Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel and Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl. Stoops knows much of the focus this offseason will be on the three losses to teams that finished the season ranked in the top 12, but he still believes the status of his program is strong.
    It wasn't the wins or losses this season, it was that the team ended as it began -shitty. Major problems offensively and defensively.

He'll readily point out that Oklahoma has won 10 games each of the last three seasons, something only five other programs can boast. In that timeframe, the Sooners won the 2010 Big 12 title outright and shared it this season with Kansas State. No other team in the conference has won more games, in league play or overall, than his Sooners in that span.
    Is Oklahoma that good or is this conference that bad? See previous point. In the end what does winning the conference get us? The right to show up in our bowl game and think it doesn't really matter if we win or lose?

''Every four years, or within four years, we're competing for the national championship - in the game. I don't mean just part of it - in the game,'' he said. ''And even that isn't good enough if you don't win it. In the end, that's just how people are. I get it.''
    It isn't one single national championship loss, it is 3 consecutive losses. Once again, this is the part that seems to get lost in the equation.

''Really, think about it: What's ever good enough?'' he said. ''Nothing, unless you win them all.''
    Total bullshit. See previous point. I think most would agree that if any coach at OU wins one national championship every 10 years then they've done their duty. So that is 2 in 20 years, so Stoops actually has like 6 more years to get his second, though I don't think many would have expected him to win one in his 2nd season and his last 18 years later.

I hadn't read the entire article either as there was no link in the OP's post, just snippets.

vCash

It wasn't the wins or losses this season, it was that the team ended as it began -shitty. Major problems offensively and defensively eightisgreat quote.

Yes, I expected OU to do better as I believe most did. I agreed with his general attititude in the article. He wasn't at all satisfied with the season I don't think. We need improvement..

Total bullshit. See previous point. I think most would agree that if any coach at OU wins one national championship every 10 years then they've done their duty. So that is 2 in 20 years, so Stoops actually has like 6 more years to get his second, though I don't think many would have expected him to win one in his 2nd season and his last 18 years later.eightisgreatquote..

I think at OU a coach should win more like 3 in 20 yrs. but anyway, It's not looking very promising for number 8 anytime soon.. He did bring up what ND did but ND had a new coach too. He didn't mention that..

vCash

I'm mostly upset that we basically have ZERO chance of winning a MNC with our current talent. The defense has been getting worse every year... offense is OK, and isn't the major problem.

''We may try and make some improvements here through the winter and spring and hopefully have a chance to be better next year.''

may?

Starts with the staff. There are several guys coaching for us who have no business being at a program like Oklahoma. I imagine with every new hire guys like Saban are either laughing their asses off or shaking their heads in dismay. Bob hires friends and friends of friends and relatives vs. truly trying to find the best person available for any jobs that open up.

How can we hope to win a national title when we have a JUCO coaching staff? Hell... that may be kind.
    4 users like SoonerSean03's post: DarrellS011, OU Sam, S00NER14, Sooner 4 Life

vCash

Whiny ass whiners. The lot of ya.
    The following users like this post: my little roy toy

vCash

Originally Posted by Dagnorbert View Post
    Whiny ass whiners. The lot of ya.
    This board is all about discussion and opinion man. If we all just said Our coching staff is so great our team is fantasticly talented we can't lose.. Maybe you would like that ? Sounds like you are whining about what you read..

People were called whiners in 1998 too, as they defended The Almighty Boo as the ship was sinking while the band played.

I also love the apologetic straw man that Stoops uses.
    He sets up this false dichotomy of His Detractors vs 'Reasonable Fans' (read: everybody else).
    Where his detractors demand a national title every year and are pissed that nothing is ever good enough.

You see the same shit on forums like these, with fanboys ****ing about criticism.

Meanwhile there are plenty reasonable people that 1) don't expect to win a national title every year 2) are not hung up that we didn't beat Florida...or USC...or LSU 3) understand that PLENTY about this program is good enough and we are appreciative.

It's just that...
    (insert assload of legitimate criticism that has been repeated ad nausem here)

We have high expectations. And many of us don't like being treated like we're idiots that can't see things objectively.
    There are some big problems to deal with. Hopefully he truly does have the humility to fix them. I am pulling for him, just not terribly optimistic.
    2 users like Hamilton's post: eightisgreat, lobster999

Bob:

We expect not to lose to the likes of Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Texas Tech. LSU, for example, doesn't lose to Kentucky, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, and Mississippi. They lose to Alabama in close games. Alabama doesn't lose to anyone anymore. When they do, it makes national headlines. We want that to be us. It's not asking too much. You get paid a sizable amount of money to make that happen.

We expect not to lose to the likes of BYU, TCU, Boise State, Colorado and so forth. Ever. You've improved on this, though. Props.

We expect not to proudly claim conference championships we did not win. Kansas State is the champion, not us. The champion goes to the Fiesta Bowl. They went to the Fiesta Bowl. We didn't.

Oh boy, we won 10 games, you say? Our defense sucked dick, Bob. We could have lost six games this year. Six. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. We won 11 games in 2001. We for damn sure did not almost lose six that year.

Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig and fix the problem already.
    4 users like Ibi unus Oklahomae's post: boomermagic, SilksKS, Sooner 4 Life, tcrb

vCash

Originally Posted by eightisgreat View Post
    This is a remarkable generalization and this statement applies to a very, very, small percentage of the fanbase.

It wasn't the wins or losses this season, it was that the team ended as it began -shitty. Major problems offensively and defensively.

Is Oklahoma that good or is this conference that bad? See previous point. In the end what does winning the conference get us? The right to show up in our bowl game and think it doesn't really matter if we win or lose?

It isn't one single national championship loss, it is 3 consecutive losses. Once again, this is the part that seems to get lost in the equation.

Total bullshit. See previous point. I think most would agree that if any coach at OU wins one national championship every 10 years then they've done their duty. So that is 2 in 20 years, so Stoops actually has like 6 more years to get his second, though I don't think many would have expected him to win one in his 2nd season and his last 18 years later.
    You can't argue with Bob Stoops record. He has done really well at OU. Everyone likes to criticize him for losing the NC games but That's really being picky to criticize a guy who is playing for a National Championship. I don't care how many he loses.

The problem I have with him starts in 2011. That team underachieved. After beating Fla. St. in their house in what was one of the hardest hitting games I witnessed that year, OU went on to mediocrity. I don't know what happened to them but they just fell apart at Tech and never got back. I think injury, coupled with some serious misses in recruiting and an average QB added up to problems they could not overcome. Stoops spent a lot of scholies on WR's and RB's leading up to 2011. The offense should have been loaded and yet we couldn't move the ball against Texas Tech. I think we started the year with 7 RBs and ended up starting a walk-on who didn't finish the season. We eventually lost 3 WR's and two TE's before the 2012 season started. Add that to McKay, McCain and finally Powell. That's 15 offensive players that flopped. 15 scholarships that went to shore up an offense that couldn't make a first down at home for the better part of two whole quarters against a miserable Tech team. A TTech team that lost to aTm, KSU, ISU, Texas, OSU, Missouri, and Baylor. Stoops has some serious ground to make up in recruiting and the 2013 class is not getting any rave reviews right now. ESPN ranks OU at 20. Sheesh!! I've got two words for Bobby, "C'mon man" .

vCash

Originally Posted by Ibi unus Oklahomae View Post
    Bob:

Oh boy, we won 10 games, you say? Our defense sucked dick, Bob. We could have lost six games this year. Six. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. We won 11 games in 2001. We for damn sure did not almost lose six that year.

Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig and fix the problem already.
    you start out with some good points but then it becomes an idiotic rant with "could have lost six" ... you could just have easily said we should have only one lost (minus cheating officials at ND and Bell holding on to the ball with KSU). the record is 10-3 ... period ... **** about that if you want but it is what it is.

vCash

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    you start out with some good points but then it becomes an idiotic rant with "could have lost six" ... you could just have easily said we should have only one lost (minus cheating officials at ND and Bell holding on to the ball with KSU). the record is 10-3 ... period ... **** about that if you want but it is what it is.
    I think it would be more accurate to say we played poorly against both WVU and OSUx. If you just look at those two games as wins, it sounds pretty good at 10-3. But if you actually watched Tayvon Austin run around Mike Stoops defense until he got tired, then the loss at aTm wouldn't have come as such a surprise to some of you. There was no way 'that' defense was going to stop Johnny Jizhead, no matter what scheme OU ran.

vCash

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    People were called whiners in 1998 too, as they defended The Almighty Boo as the ship was sinking while the band played.

I also love the apologetic straw man that Stoops uses.
    He sets up this false dichotomy of His Detractors vs 'Reasonable Fans' (read: everybody else).
    Where his detractors demand a national title every year and are pissed that nothing is ever good enough.

You see the same shit on forums like these, with fanboys ****ing about criticism.

Meanwhile there are plenty reasonable people that 1) don't expect to win a national title every year 2) are not hung up that we didn't beat Florida...or USC...or LSU 3) understand that PLENTY about this program is good enough and we are appreciative.

It's just that...
    (insert assload of legitimate criticism that has been repeated ad nausem here)

We have high expectations. And many of us don't like being treated like we're idiots that can't see things objectively.
    There are some big problems to deal with. Hopefully he truly does have the humility to fix them. I am pulling for him, just not terribly optimistic.

I can agree with this. There were those that defended ole Boo Blake but I was not one of them. That ship was not sinking, it was sunk.

I cannot get on board with the Stoops hate. I don't understand why people think that if he goes and someone else comes in that things will automatically go in a better direction. As far as I can see that has usually not been the case in the history of Oklahoma. YOu just have no idea where things will go if he leaves.

I am happy with 10 win seasons. I do agree things can get better. Changes do need to happen. I am in line with Kish and Kittle going other places, Heupel maybe taking a step back and seeing what Norvell can do. Something needs to happen, but Stoops leaving is not one of them. That guy is going to have a bronze statue out on the lawn for bringing OU back to the place where you **** about a 10 win season with losses to top 10 teams. He doesn't need people telling him to hit the pavement, he deserves more respect than that.

I can agree with this. There were those that defended ole Boo Blake but I was not one of them. That ship was not sinking, it was sunk.

I cannot get on board with the Stoops hate. I don't understand why people think that if he goes and someone else comes in that things will automatically go in a better direction. As far as I can see that has usually not been the case in the history of Oklahoma. YOu just have no idea where things will go if he leaves.

I am happy with 10 win seasons. I do agree things can get better. Changes do need to happen. I am in line with Kish and Kittle going other places, Heupel maybe taking a step back and seeing what Norvell can do. Something needs to happen, but Stoops leaving is not one of them. That guy is going to have a bronze statue out on the lawn for bringing OU back to the place where you **** about a 10 win season with losses to top 10 teams. He doesn't need people telling him to hit the pavement, he deserves more respect than that.
    And if Stoops is unwilling to move Kish and/or Kittle out and is unwilling to have Heupel step back for Norvell? What then? Will you be on board with the Stoops "hate" then? You are pointing out some of the problems we all have, but you refuse to hold Stoops accountable for them. Stoops has earned the right to fix this mess, but will he? The fact that our recruiting class is mediocre by our usual standards and no changes have been made to our staff immediately after the cluster **** at the cotton bowl leads me to believe that Bob does not have any sense of urgency regarding our football program.

Maybe he has a trump card that he feels comfortable about that we are unaware of, but his complacency with the situation sucks ass.

vCash

I'm for Bob packing. We can do better, I'm not worried about doing worse We will not hire Boo back.

vCash

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    I'm for Bob packing. We can do better, I'm not worried about doing worse We will not hire Boo back.
    Worse than that, we could hire a possible Petrino, Pete Carrol, or Sweater Vest that puts the program in dire straights for years to come (like The King did)

Our problems are so minimal, even when comparing them to the elite of the last (enter number) years than comparable schools.

Fear of 10 win complacency drives you.

Fear of not realizing how good we have it drives me.

Stoops is a proven commodity. He has won a title and has played for it four times. This is NOT just because he coaches at OU, but a combination of that AND being a GREAT coach.
    The following users like this post: Julz

Remember that time Stoops called a timeout 2 minutes into the cotton bowl? Ya, he knew what was about to come. Remember when Johnny Football then proceeded to insert into the entire Oklahoma football team for the rest of the quarter? Ya, it was over.

vCash

Remember that time Bobby picked up that fumble, and his pants fell down. Then he scored a touchdown, bare-ass?

vCash

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Worse than that, we could hire a possible Petrino, Pete Carrol, or Sweater Vest that puts the program in dire straights for years to come (like The King did)

Our problems are so minimal, even when comparing them to the elite of the last (enter number) years than comparable schools.

Stoops is a proven commodity. He has won a title and has played for it four times. This is NOT just because he coaches at OU, but a combination of that AND being a GREAT coach.
    Never have seen Bob as a GREAT coach. He had some really good coaches helping him when he became the HC at OU. He is very fortunate to be coaching at OU. Ou is a place where a good HC can win 10 or more games a season and a GREAT coach wins a NC every 5 or 6 yrs. Barry didn't put the program in dire straights. lol.. Gibbs recruited well after Barry left and Schnelly didn't have a chance with only one year and then the dire straights came with blake. Remember Blake ? He recruited some great players that made it possible for Bob to come in and win his ONLY NC with mostly blakes players. Fact is fact.

Never have seen Bob as a GREAT coach. He had some really good coaches helping him when he became the HC at OU. He is very fortunate to be coaching at OU. Ou is a place where a good HC can win 10 or more games a season and a GREAT coach wins a NC every 5 or 6 yrs. Barry didn't put the program in dire straights. lol.. Gibbs recruited well after Barry left and Schnelly didn't have a chance with only one year and then the dire straights came with blake. Remember Blake ? He recruited some great players that made it possible for Bob to come in and win his ONLY NC with mostly blakes players. Fact is fact.
    C'mon man, even Switzer will tell you that a coach is only as good as the assistants he has underneath him. And Barry leaving only took the program from a perrenial top 5 to top 20 under Gibbs. You aren't the only one that watched OU back then. "Schnelly didn't have a chance with only one year?" Because he was a crazy ****.

vCash

Wow, this statement is laughable. Bordering on idiotic. His defense helped win a national championship at Florida. Something that Spurrier brought him in to do. Done. He's the guy who put the OU coaching staff together to turn the sinking ship that was OU football around. Done. (This "Blake's players" meme is as tired as it is ridiculous, by the way.) He's the guy who won a national championship in his second season, returning OU to college football's elite. Done. His teams have played in more BCS Championship games than any other program. Add it up and what do you get? Yeah, not that good of a coach. What BS.

Now, something that is worth criticizing is the dramatic fall of our defense for the last few years. I mean, Stoops is a defensive coach after all. This past season was arguably the least talented defense in Stoops tenure. It seems like ages since we had a defense that could step up and win a game when the offense is getting stoned. And that's a big concern. You can't expect your offense to put up 40 a game or you lose. It just cannot continue and it will be Stoops downfall if he doesn't fix it. And I agree that he has lost a lot of talented assistants and replaced them with mediocre ones. And that has to change, as well.
    3 users like palisooner's post: dog-knee, H82Lose, srburkhart

vCash

I don't mind not losing national championships. I don't mind going 10-3 either. What I hate is getting blown out by Notre Dame. I hate looking totally unprepared in our bowl games. Most of all I hate watching us give up 500+ yards on a consistent basis. TCU didn't do that this season. Are they better than us?
    The following users like this post: Saul Good

It wasn't the wins or losses this season, it was that the team ended as it began -shitty. Major problems offensively and defensively eightisgreat quote.

Yes, I expected OU to do better as I believe most did. I agreed with his general attititude in the article. He wasn't at all satisfied with the season I don't think. We need improvement..

Total bullshit. See previous point. I think most would agree that if any coach at OU wins one national championship every 10 years then they've done their duty. So that is 2 in 20 years, so Stoops actually has like 6 more years to get his second, though I don't think many would have expected him to win one in his 2nd season and his last 18 years later.eightisgreatquote..

I think at OU a coach should win more like 3 in 20 yrs. but anyway, It's not looking very promising for number 8 anytime soon.. He did bring up what ND did but ND had a new coach too. He didn't mention that..
    When comparing him to the best of the best (Bud/Barry) I don't think the expectation of 3 in 20 years is out of line. At this point I'll settle for two.

Legitimate criticism and facts derived from multi-year observation does not equal hate. I agree that Stoops should not leave at this time, but I am not leaving that opinion open ended as so many are. I think Stoops was a great coach at one time, he isn't great right now, but I am holding out hope that he can be what he was before.

Originally Posted by OkieforOU View Post
    You can't argue with Bob Stoops record. He has done really well at OU. Everyone likes to criticize him for losing the NC games but That's really being picky to criticize a guy who is playing for a National Championship. I don't care how many he loses.

The problem I have with him starts in 2011. That team underachieved. After beating Fla. St. in their house in what was one of the hardest hitting games I witnessed that year, OU went on to mediocrity. I don't know what happened to them but they just fell apart at Tech and never got back. I think injury, coupled with some serious misses in recruiting and an average QB added up to problems they could not overcome. Stoops spent a lot of scholies on WR's and RB's leading up to 2011. The offense should have been loaded and yet we couldn't move the ball against Texas Tech. I think we started the year with 7 RBs and ended up starting a walk-on who didn't finish the season. We eventually lost 3 WR's and two TE's before the 2012 season started. Add that to McKay, McCain and finally Powell. That's 15 offensive players that flopped. 15 scholarships that went to shore up an offense that couldn't make a first down at home for the better part of two whole quarters against a miserable Tech team. A TTech team that lost to aTm, KSU, ISU, Texas, OSU, Missouri, and Baylor. Stoops has some serious ground to make up in recruiting and the 2013 class is not getting any rave reviews right now. ESPN ranks OU at 20. Sheesh!! I've got two words for Bobby, "C'mon man" .
    You kinda summed up one of the points I have been making. Elite players want to go where they have the best shot of getting exposure, good exposure. We don't have players beating down our door like Alabama and there is a reason for that. Winning or losing a significant amount of national championship games does matter. And that is precisely why we are having trouble recruiting, we are getting the leftovers.
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

Maybe Bob is finally getting it. We want Nat'l Championships. Big 12 championships good, but not good enough.
    Here's hoping he finally sees and accepts the Monster, like Barry did.

vCash

Originally Posted by palisooner View Post
    Wow, this statement is laughable. Bordering on idiotic. His defense helped win a national championship at Florida. Something that Spurrier brought him in to do. Done. He's the guy who put the OU coaching staff together to turn the sinking ship that was OU football around. Done. (This "Blake's players" meme is as tired as it is ridiculous, by the way.) He's the guy who won a national championship in his second season, returning OU to college football's elite. Done. His teams have played in more BCS Championship games than any other program. Add it up and what do you get? Yeah, not that good of a coach. What BS.

Now, something that is worth criticizing is the dramatic fall of our defense for the last few years. I mean, Stoops is a defensive coach after all. This past season was arguably the least talented defense in Stoops tenure. It seems like ages since we had a defense that could step up and win a game when the offense is getting stoned. And that's a big concern. You can't expect your offense to put up 40 a game or you lose. It just cannot continue and it will be Stoops downfall if he doesn't fix it. And I agree that he has lost a lot of talented assistants and replaced them with mediocre ones. And that has to change, as well.
    I do not consider Bob a GREAT coach. He DID win his only NC with mostly blakes players.. YES, He put together a really good staff thats why he won the NC, That and the talent left by none other than Boo Blake.. You just simply can't deny that. It is a fact.. Bob is a good coach but he had some great assistants.. Most good coaches, NOT ALL, But most, would win 9 or 10 games at OU almost every year.. Bob has done that he is a good coach.. Great coaches win more than one NC in 13 yrs. at OU ..

vCash

I'm just not a big fan of winning a conference championship if you blow it all in bowl games and get embarrassed by teams you should beat. How many times has that happened ? How many times did we show up unprepared ? That is a coaching problem. Add to that the fact that Bob will not get assistants we need to prepare the team and who is to blame ? The GREAT coach ? He is a good coach at best and he hasn't been that lately..

vCash

Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    C'mon man, even Switzer will tell you that a coach is only as good as the assistants he has underneath him. And Barry leaving only took the program from a perrenial top 5 to top 20 under Gibbs. You aren't the only one that watched OU back then. "Schnelly didn't have a chance with only one year?" Because he was a crazy ****.
    Barry didn't just walk out on OU you know.. Schnelly was a winner about everywhere else he coached.. One year ? That isn't giving a guy a chance and you know it. You can't even count ONE YEAR..

vCash

I like a lot of things Stoops says. Too bad most of it is bullshit.

vCash

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    I like a lot of things Stoops says. Too bad most of it is bullshit.
    I might feed everyone a line for 5 million as well.

vCash

I might feed everyone a line for 5 million as well.
    So because he gets paid a ton of money that makes it ok?

vCash

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    So because he gets paid a ton of money that makes it ok?
    What ? LOL..

vCash

Bob took Boo Blakes players and moved them to different positions where they were natural at. He brought in a QB that was a leader and a difference maker. Schnelly had some problems that were his down fall such as abusing players by not providing water during paractices. Two players became so dehydrated that they were hospitilized. He had to be ordered to provide water for practices, and his relationship to the rest of the staff was not good. There was a possible problem with alcohol with him. Bob comes in with a new staff and gets the players in their natural playing positions. Without the QB OU may not have had that championship year.

The simple truth of the matter is that Bob gets paid a shit ton of money to win national championships. Not only do we no longer play for national championships, we no longer seriously contend for national championships. Example:

THE SHIT:
    2012: Eliminated from contention in October; no serious run
    2011: Eliminated from contention in October; no serious run
    2010: Eliminated from contention in October; no serious run
    2009: Eliminated from contention in September; no serious run

THE MIDDLE AGES:
    2008: BCS Championship
    2007: #3 in mid-November; fairly serious run
    2006: Eliminated from contention in early October; no serious run
    2005: Eliminated from contention in September; no serious run

THE GOLDEN AGES:
    2004: BCS Championship
    2003: BCS Championship
    2002: #3 in late November; serious run
    2001: #3 in early December; serious run
    2000: BCS Championship
    1999: Qualified for bowl; same as national title at this point in time.

Notice how they are in chronological order? It's a downhill trend. We are like the American economy. We're doing better than most, but it's still pretty shit by our standards.

It should be noted that we won conference titles and went to BCS bowls almost every year in the Middle Ages. We no longer even do that in the Shit.

The last two conference champions are Kansas State and OSU. Yeah.

The simple truth of the matter is that Bob gets paid a shit ton of money to win national championships. Not only do we no longer play for national championships, we no longer seriously contend for national championships. Example:

THE SHIT:

THE MIDDLE AGES:

THE GOLDEN AGES:

Notice how they are in chronological order? It's a downhill trend. We are like the American economy. We're doing better than most, but it's still pretty shit by our standards.
    Agreed. What sucks is that the conference really isn't that good. Everybody in the conference, except for Kansas, has the potential to go 8-4 but there are no teams that are elite. In 2010 we got beat by an average Missouri team and an average A&M team. The Stoops teams of the "Golden Ages" would have beaten Missouri and A&M and would have been in the NC that year. The 2011 team really pissed me off with the entitlement. They got punched in the mouth and embarrassed by an absolute trash team in Texas Tech who lost every game after that by 17+ points and then when Broyles went down they completely folded. This 2012 team had less talent than the last two years on defense. It showed. I'm not disappointed in the effort as much as I am lack of talent we saw this year. I don't see how Stoops let the program get this comfortable. I sound like a typical spoiled Sooner fan complaining about 10-3 seasons but Oklahoma shouldn't be settling for Cotton Bowls and split conference titles. 10-3 is a solid season and all but it was a few plays away from being 8-5.
    2 users like Stein7495's post: boomermagic, Ibi unus Oklahomae

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerDick View Post
    Bob took Boo Blakes players and moved them to different positions where they were natural at. He brought in a QB that was a leader and a difference maker. Schnelly had some problems that were his down fall such as abusing players by not providing water during paractices. Two players became so dehydrated that they were hospitilized. He had to be ordered to provide water for practices, and his relationship to the rest of the staff was not good. There was a possible problem with alcohol with him. Bob comes in with a new staff and gets the players in their natural playing positions. Without the QB OU may not have had that championship year.
    Yes, I agree.. I didn't say anything different.. I said Bob is a good coach blake obviously wasn't.. BUT, Bob won a NC with MOSTLY blakes players not his recruits.

vCash

Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    Agreed. What sucks is that the conference really isn't that good. Everybody in the conference, except for Kansas, has the potential to go 8-4 but there are no teams that are elite. In 2010 we got beat by an average Missouri team and an average A&M team. The Stoops teams of the "Golden Ages" would have beaten Missouri and A&M and would have been in the NC that year. The 2011 team really pissed me off with the entitlement. They got punched in the mouth and embarrassed by an absolute trash team in Texas Tech who lost every game after that by 17+ points and then when Broyles went down they completely folded. This 2012 team had less talent than the last two years on defense. It showed. I'm not disappointed in the effort as much as I am lack of talent we saw this year. I don't see how Stoops let the program get this comfortable. I sound like a typical spoiled Sooner fan complaining about 10-3 seasons but Oklahoma shouldn't be settling for Cotton Bowls and split conference titles. 10-3 is a solid season and all but it was a few plays away from being 8-5.
    The Tcu game actually went down to the last minute and they scored the tieing TD but held McGee so it was called back, Then their receiver dropped a pass that hit his hands that would have been a td.. We were fortunate to get a tie for the conference.

vCash

THE SHIT:

THE MIDDLE AGES:

THE GOLDEN AGES:

This is correct. Bob did not replace his great staff with near as much quality.. Now, He is too damn stuborn.. I don't think we ever sniff another NC with Bob..
    It's just been down hill for a while now and in a conference that really isn't very strong.. What do those things tell us ?

vCash

Yes, I agree.. I didn't say anything different.. I said Bob is a good coach blake obviously wasn't.. BUT, Bob won a NC with MOSTLY blakes players not his recruits.
    So what?
    Do you think we win that year without Bob's recruits?

No Torrance Marshall
    No Josh Heupel
    No Quentin Griffin
    No Damien Mackey
    No Antwone Savage
    No Trent Smith
    No Derrick Strait.

vCash

So what?
    Do you think we win that year without Bob's recruits?

No Torrance Marshall
    No Josh Heupel
    No Quentin Griffin
    No Damien Mackey
    No Antwone Savage
    No Trent Smith
    No Derrick Strait.
    Never said we would, Thats so what.. Do you think we win without blakes recruits.. Please tell me you don't ?

vCash

Again, Bob won a NC MOSTLY with blakes recruits.. FACT! Bob has NEVER won a NC solely with players he recruited.

vCash

Again, Bob won a NC MOSTLY with blakes recruits.. FACT! Bob has NEVER won a NC solely with players he recruited.
    And Barry only won one.
    Twelve years after taking over.

And Barry only won one.
    Twelve years after taking over.
    This is true. Although, whether it be Stoops or Switzer or Wilkinson, a national title is a national title. I give Stoops full credit for the NC in 2000. Haha, I have a very hard time seeing John Blake doing that. And as for Switzer, he had been on the staff for 7 years so he was already very comfortable with everything and it wasn't a hard adjustment for the players at all.

vCash

My only problem is guys like Ibi Unae and BoomerMagic love to trot out information like "we could have been 8-5 this year" and summarily discount that Stoops could have won 3 NCs by now using the same criteria. I don't think that we were unprepared for LSU nor FL, we just didn't get the breaks in those games.

You think either of those guys claim Stoops is as good as Bud or Barry if White doesn't overthrow KeJuan or if Manuel Johnson doesn't let Bradford's pass bounce off of him right befor halftime?