Switzer on the banner...

Posted 545 day(s) ago 1531 Views 25 Replies
    vCash

Switzer on the banner...

Should there not be a bottle of Switzer family wine in front of him..

vCash

Only if It's a Pearl.

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerSteve1 View Post
    Should there not be a bottle of Switzer family wine in front of him..
    Only if its a Pearl

vCash

Switzer on the banner...

Geez
    The following users like this post: oorah_okie

vCash

Right before Switzer went into this home for a visit, he decides to rummage through their trash for possible clues to help land the kid. All he finds is a shit load of beer cans, Pearl Beer. When he goes inside the Dad asked if he wants a beer, and Barry replies " only if its a Pearl". Its a huge hit with the dad, Barry is drinking beer in the living room and its golden. The dad insist his son play for the King.

That story is about Frank Blevins' dad. Having seen Frank Blevins' dad.......he definitely looked like a Pearl drinker. The funny thing about Frank is that he was kind of a baby faced guy but his old man was about as tough looking as they come.

From Bootleggers Boy
    4 users like usaosooner's post: AcousticSoup, BajaOklahoma, boomermagic, SoonerSteve1

vCash

Bootleggers Boy-cant wait for the movie

vCash

OMG that's ****ing hilarious!

vCash

I don't always drink Pearl, but when I do...

Fill in the blanks...

Badass story

vCash

The Keith Jackson story is just as good. Switzer turned on the charm and convinced his mom who is a DIE HARD Razorback fan that OU was an acceptable choice if Keith didn't want to go to Arkansas. Spent two hours talking about food and what type of corn bread they like.
    The following users like this post: VRO405

vCash

Originally Posted by Onikuno View Post
    The Keith Jackson story is just as good. Switzer turned on the charm and convinced his mom who is a DIE HARD Razorback fan that OU was an acceptable choice if Keith didn't want to go to Arkansas. Spent two hours talking about food and what type of corn bread they like.
    Cracklin bread
    2 users like boomermagic's post: greensooner, Onikuno

vCash

Originally Posted by 1soONErs1 View Post
    I don't always drink Pearl, but when I do...

Fill in the blanks...
    I don't always drink Pearl, but when I do, I sign a great player..Coach Switzer.

vCash

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    I don't always drink Pearl, but when I do, I sign a great player..Coach Switzer.
    I wouldn't call Frank Blevins great.

vCash

Originally Posted by Col.JimBeam View Post
    I wouldn't call Frank Blevins great.

Frank was All Conference. His nickname was "The Stickman"

I know the king is the king, but Pearl? Damn, I would have expected Barry to have better taste than that! Pearl sucks ass! Or is average at best. I can only hope he was drinking that crap just to land the kid. Woulda figured him more for a Stone IPA or a Dogfish Head Ale guy.

vCash

Originally Posted by crispysdad View Post
    I would have expected Barry to have better taste than that! Pearl sucks ass! Or is average at best. I can only hope he was drinking that crap just to land the kid.
    That's pretty much it. However the story is a bit overblown as Blevins' uncle was an assistant AD at OU at the time. He was probably coming no matter what.
    The following users like this post: crispysdad

I always liked the story of what he told Billy Sims. Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that when he was recruiting Sims, OU had just come off back to back national titles in '74 and '75 and he said "Billy, if you come to Oklahoma we're gonna win a national championship" and then he said "Billy, if you don't come to Oklahoma, we're still gonna win a national championship." Too bad Billy never got to win one in his time at OU. We came very close though in 1977 (Orange Bowl loss), 1978 (screwed by polls), 1979 (**** Texas).

Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    I always liked the story of what he told Billy Sims. Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that when he was recruiting Sims, OU had just come off back to back national titles in '74 and '75 and he said "Billy, if you come to Oklahoma we're gonna win a national championship" and then he said "Billy, if you don't come to Oklahoma, we're still gonna win a national championship." Too bad Billy never got to win one in his time at OU. We came very close though in 1977 (Orange Bowl loss), 1978 (screwed by polls), 1979 (**** Texas).
    The best story is Boz''s story. He basically went into his cafeteria with his rings and said you want one of these?

vCash

facebook cover
    2 users like Nuked's post: boomermagic, OrangeBlossom

Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    Think that was pretty much Switzer's standard line. When Mark Harmon was on Leno a month or 2 ago he said Switzer told him the same thing.

Re: Switzer on the banner...

But Bob shows recruits his house
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

vCash

Originally Posted by Sooner 4 Life View Post
    But Bob shows recruits his house
    He also shows them the SWITZER center..
    The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life

vCash

Originally Posted by Nuked View Post

facebook cover
    LONG LIVE THE KING !

Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    Think that was pretty much Switzer's standard line. When Mark Harmon was on Leno a month or 2 ago he said Switzer told him the same thing.
    I bet it was. Perfect timing with Billy though as OU was two time defending champions.

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    The best story is Boz''s story. He basically went into his cafeteria with his rings and said you want one of these?
    Haha. Yeah, I saw that on the Sooner Legends thing on Youtube or whatever it was called. It was pretty cool to see all of those former players from both the Switzer and Wilkinson days get together like that.

vCash

Wait! Is he the reason why the liquor store on Main Street sells Pearl? I love that beer and usually only find it in San Antonio. I about flipped when I found it in Norman.
    The following users like this post: McRib