Next Gen Console Updates

Posted 447 day(s) ago 5309 Views 156 Replies
Results 1 to 50 of 157
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3
  1. #1
    SoonerBeerSnob's Avatar
    Posts
    9,684
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    1380
    Location
    Traylur Park #473

    Next Gen Console Updates

    Figured all small bits, blurbs and rumors could all be consolidated.

    Sony Playstation is planning on announcing SOMETHING on Feb 20. What is it?

    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...of-playstation

  2. #2
    ozz's Avatar
    Posts
    1,892
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Dallas

    Originally Posted by SoonerBeerSnob View Post
    Figured all small bits, blurbs and rumors could all be consolidated.

    Sony Playstation is planning on announcing SOMETHING on Feb 20. What is it?

    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...of-playstation
    They called it a "Playstation event" and previous Playstation events have been held to announce new hardware. Wouldn't be shocked if it's just a "PS4 is coming, but we won't show you until E3" announcement.

  3. #3
    LASooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,752
    Join Date
    May 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Canyon Country, California

    I've heard both Sony and Microsoft will be announcing the next gen systems well before E3, remember E3 is in June now, not May, so everyone wants to get in first.

    I've also heard a somewhat absurd rumor that Microsoft will release the next gen system at E3. The reality is probably mid to late October.

  4. #4
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    11,439
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    5250
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    I've heard both Sony and Microsoft will be announcing the next gen systems well before E3, remember E3 is in June now, not May, so everyone wants to get in first.

    I've also heard a somewhat absurd rumor that Microsoft will release the next gen system at E3. The reality is probably mid to late October.
    As a developer, do you see an upside to Sony having 4k support?

  5. #5
    ozz's Avatar
    Posts
    1,892
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Dallas

    Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    I've heard both Sony and Microsoft will be announcing the next gen systems well before E3, remember E3 is in June now, not May, so everyone wants to get in first.

    I've also heard a somewhat absurd rumor that Microsoft will release the next gen system at E3. The reality is probably mid to late October.
    That rumor seems to pop up for various consoles. It never makes any sense.

    Also, didn't Sony say something about not showing off the new console until MS shows off theirs because they don't want MS stealing ideas? From Kaz's mouth last month: In the Business section of The Times today, Hirai said, "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"

  6. #6
    ozz's Avatar
    Posts
    1,892
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Dallas

    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    As a developer, do you see an upside to Sony having 4k support?
    Not a developer, but I just can't imagine the PS4 to have enough juice to anything except upconvert to 4k. I've also read that HDMI currently is a bottleneck for 4k output as well.

  7. #7
    LASooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,752
    Join Date
    May 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Canyon Country, California

    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    As a developer, do you see an upside to Sony having 4k support?
    None. The processors they put in them have to be somewhat economical, and that means they can't even push those resolutions. Heck many of the current gen systems can't be at 1080p for this reason. Almost all current games are either 720p native games or they're so simple in design that they can be 1080p without a performance hit. Does this all mean the PS4 won't support 4k? No, it may support 4k for video playback, but you won't see any games designed for that resolution any time soon.

    Higher res output for games means higher res textures, higher res geometry, more RAM use, more strain on the CPU and less space on the optical disc. If you're cool with a 4K version of Galaga or Pacman, that's about all you'll get for a $400-$600 game system

    I've also read that HDMI currently is a bottleneck for 4k output as well.
    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/4K.aspx

    All High Speed HDMI cables will support 4K functionality when connected to 4K devices. You can use your existing High Speed HDMI cables or choose a different cable type.

  8. #8
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    11,439
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    5250
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    None. The processors they put in them have to be somewhat economical, and that means they can't even push those resolutions. Heck many of the current gen systems can't be at 1080p for this reason. Almost all current games are either 720p native games or they're so simple in design that they can be 1080p without a performance hit. Does this all mean the PS4 won't support 4k? No, it may support 4k for video playback, but you won't see any games designed for that resolution any time soon.

    Higher res output for games means higher res textures, higher res geometry, more RAM use, more strain on the CPU and less space on the optical disc. If you're cool with a 4K version of Galaga or Pacman, that's about all you'll get for a $400-$600 game system



    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/4K.aspx

    All High Speed HDMI cables will support 4K functionality when connected to 4K devices. You can use your existing High Speed HDMI cables or choose a different cable type.
    Thanks, LA.

  9. #9
    ozz's Avatar
    Posts
    1,892
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Dallas

    Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    None. The processors they put in them have to be somewhat economical, and that means they can't even push those resolutions. Heck many of the current gen systems can't be at 1080p for this reason. Almost all current games are either 720p native games or they're so simple in design that they can be 1080p without a performance hit. Does this all mean the PS4 won't support 4k? No, it may support 4k for video playback, but you won't see any games designed for that resolution any time soon.

    Higher res output for games means higher res textures, higher res geometry, more RAM use, more strain on the CPU and less space on the optical disc. If you're cool with a 4K version of Galaga or Pacman, that's about all you'll get for a $400-$600 game system



    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/4K.aspx

    All High Speed HDMI cables will support 4K functionality when connected to 4K devices. You can use your existing High Speed HDMI cables or choose a different cable type.
    I believe HDMI only supports 4k at 24 fps.

  10. #10
    LASooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,752
    Join Date
    May 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Canyon Country, California

    Frame rate has nothing to do with it, it's data rates, current 1.3 HDMI spec can handle 10.2 GBps, which is more than enough to pass a compressed 4K video stream, 1.4 spec will allow you to pass 4k streams without compromising the other aspects of HDMI, as well as adding an ethernet channel for two way communication between devices. The only hurdle with HDMI is making sure all the connected devices in the chain are 1.4 compliant.

    Heck there are 4k videos on you tube right now.



    set resolution to ORIGINAL

    It's a matter of finding what level of compression is acceptable for viewing. For example a Blu Ray movie comes in at about 15-30 MBps for 1080p 24fps, 4k is roughly 4 times larger in size, you can get blu ray quality compression at 1.2 GBps. HDMI 1.4 has a max video stream data rate of 3.4 GBps, so you could have an even better picture should you want to push the limits, which most movie producers rarely ever do.

    I'd say we're looking at about another 5 more years before 4k is more commonplace, but the question is whether broadcasters (some who don't even bother doing 1080i) are willing to go to yet another format change. Considering the time it took for the digital conversion to take place, I wouldn't hold my breathe there.

  11. #11
    ozz's Avatar
    Posts
    1,892
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Dallas

    Everything I'm reading is saying that you'll need HDMI 2.0 to send 4k uncompressed video to your TV useful for videogames. Of course, that's assuming the PS4 actually has the power to output 4k at 60 Hz.

    HDMI 1.4 is currently limited to 4k at 24 Hz. HDMI 2.0 is rumored to be over 18 GBps which should allow for 4k at 60 Hz.

  12. #12
    LASooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,752
    Join Date
    May 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Canyon Country, California

    HD isn't even uncompressed, 4k uncompressed will never happen. I shot a 40 min short film with a Dalsa Origin 4k uncompressed, each frame of the movie is 40 megabytes, that level of throughput and storage is unattainable on consumer electronic devices.

  13. #13
    SoonerBeerSnob's Avatar
    Posts
    9,684
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    1380
    Location
    Traylur Park #473

    Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    I've heard both Sony and Microsoft will be announcing the next gen systems well before E3, remember E3 is in June now, not May, so everyone wants to get in first.

    I've also heard a somewhat absurd rumor that Microsoft will release the next gen system at E3. The reality is probably mid to late October.
    This seems extremely absurd when you realize that MS has a triple A title coming out in August (Splinter Cell) and i think one other was recently given a September launch date. Surely they saw the flaw in releasing games for the previous gen system and new gen at the same time. Sony did this and the PS2 consoles continued to outsell PS3s for at least two years. That would be especially bad if there is no backwards compatibility.

    Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    Also, didn't Sony say something about not showing off the new console until MS shows off theirs because they don't want MS stealing ideas? From Kaz's mouth last month: In the Business section of The Times today, Hirai said, "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"
    I have heard this as well. I think Sony got impatient, they cant really afford to sit on this for too long. They have to do a good push to recapture their lead in the American market and announcing first goes a long way towards that.

  14. #14
    SoonerBeerSnob's Avatar
    Posts
    9,684
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    1380
    Location
    Traylur Park #473


  15. #15
    SirPrize's Avatar
    Posts
    6,193
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Moore, OK

    New XBOX = No used Games, but will have BluRay.

    http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-...nd-new-kinect/
    Last edited by SirPrize; February 7th, 2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.

  16. #16
    SoonerBeerSnob's Avatar
    Posts
    9,684
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    1380
    Location
    Traylur Park #473

    Originally Posted by SirPrize View Post
    New XBOX = No new Games, but will have BluRay.

    http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-...nd-new-kinect/

    The article said nothing about no new games. It said that you will not be able to purchace used games. This is something that has been talked about before and is in some ways already being implemented on bioware games with their in the box codes that unlock a main part of the game.

    Some discussions on this here http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/02/06...nected-console

  17. #17
    SirPrize's Avatar
    Posts
    6,193
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Moore, OK

    Originally Posted by SoonerBeerSnob View Post
    The article said nothing about no new games. It said that you will not be able to purchace used games. This is something that has been talked about before and is in some ways already being implemented on bioware games with their in the box codes that unlock a main part of the game.

    Some discussions on this here http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/02/06...nected-console
    I meant to say used. Thanks.

  18. #18
    SoonerBeerSnob's Avatar
    Posts
    9,684
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    1380
    Location
    Traylur Park #473

    Originally Posted by SirPrize View Post
    I meant to say used. Thanks.
    oh ok sorry. I was confused.

  19. #19

    Re: Next Gen Console Updates

    LA, I thought it would be next holiday (2014) before we saw new hardware, especially with GTA V dropping in September.

    Do you think it will be 2013?

  20. #20
    Originally Posted by SoonerBeerSnob View Post
    The article said nothing about no new games. It said that you will not be able to purchace used games. This is something that has been talked about before and is in some ways already being implemented on bioware games with their in the box codes that unlock a main part of the game.

    Some discussions on this here http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/02/06...nected-console

    This no used games thing could be a really big deal. I understand they want to make ALL the money, but how can they even begin to talk about cutting out the used games trade. Will you not even be able to loan games to a friend?

  21. #21
    LASooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,752
    Join Date
    May 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Canyon Country, California

    Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    LA, I thought it would be next holiday (2014) before we saw new hardware, especially with GTA V dropping in September.

    Do you think it will be 2013?
    Without a doubt,holiday 2013. Not sure why the release of GTA would factor in to new hardware. Plenty of big titles came out for the original Xbox and PS2 the year the XB360 and PS3 came out. Production cycles go for years and we can't wait for new hardware to keep the lights on.
    The following users like this post: El Jefe


  22. #22
    nlight1's Avatar
    Posts
    2,630
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Oklahoma & nowhere else

    Next Gen Console Updates

    Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    This no used games thing could be a really big deal. I understand they want to make ALL the money, but how can they even begin to talk about cutting out the used games trade. Will you not even be able to loan games to a friend?
    Will console games/software be handled more like computer games/software & have license keys?

  23. #23
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    11,439
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    5250
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by nlight1 View Post
    Will console games/software be handled more like computer games/software & have license keys?
    Looks like this is how its going to be.

    No real problem with this, as licenses will drop in price as the game gets older...probably at a faster rate than the current used games market.

    Rentals being cut out is a far bigger problem than the used game market, but I imagine that places like GameFly will be able to procure multiuser licenses.

    (Get ready for hacks)

  24. #24
    DYNOMITE's Avatar
    Posts
    446
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    FL

    Didn't the original San Andreas come out right before the 360 came out?

  25. #25
    El Jefe's Avatar
    Posts
    3,628
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    3380
    Location
    East Dallas, Homie


  26. #26
    ozz's Avatar
    Posts
    1,892
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Dallas

    Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    I hope the real controller is bulky like that. I have big hands and always had issue with the smallness of the dual shock along with the parallel placement of the sticks. This looks a little more 360ish.
    2 users like ozz's post: CookiePuss, SoonerBeerSnob


  27. #27
    LASooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,752
    Join Date
    May 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Canyon Country, California

    Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    I hope the real controller is bulky like that. I have big hands and always had issue with the smallness of the dual shock along with the parallel placement of the sticks. This looks a little more 360ish.
    I use this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00

    and just plug in an XB360 controller. It works perfectly.


    The Controller is interesting, it seems to have a built in Playstation Move sensor on the front and some sort of LCD screen. I wonder if it's a touch screen?

  28. #28
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    11,439
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    5250
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    I use this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00

    and just plug in an XB360 controller. It works perfectly.


    The Controller is interesting, it seems to have a built in Playstation Move sensor on the front and some sort of LCD screen. I wonder if it's a touch screen?
    Supposed to be a touch screen...have heard there may be a rear mounted touch as well (like vita)

  29. #29
    SoonerBeerSnob's Avatar
    Posts
    9,684
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    1380
    Location
    Traylur Park #473

    Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    That would be great. One of my biggest gripes about PS3 is the controller always felt flimsy, like i would break it at any second. Especially the r2 and L2 buttons.

  30. #30
    usaosooner's Avatar
    Posts
    26,978
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    41340
    Location
    hating the off-season

    http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/15/39...es-reports-wsj

    Last June, Sony purchased Gaikai, a company that can stream games -- delivering them over the internet in real time from remote servers, by sending their video frames. Now, The Wall Street Journal reports what many have suspected for months: the next PlayStation will use the service to stream games to the console. However, according to the publication, Sony won't necessarily use streaming technology to deliver brand-new games. Those will still be delivered on optical disc. Instead, the next PlayStation will bring existing PlayStation 3 titles to the new system.

  31. #31
    LASooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,752
    Join Date
    May 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Canyon Country, California

    The headline makes it sound like this is the method for gaming on the PS4, but it's Sony's money grab with the promise of backward compatibility if you're willing to pony up the dough for games you already own. Think UMD to PSP program. I'll be curious to see if it's any better than On-Live
    Last edited by LASooner; February 16th, 2013 at 03:33 AM.

  32. #32
    Kingpen's Avatar
    Posts
    172
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Near Dallas

    OK I'll give my 2 cents....

    These next gen consoles better rock my damn world. I'm talking VERY detailed graphics & textures, no angles on rounded objects, AND articulate speech. I wanna see faces, mouths and hands move accurately when they are delivering speech. It cheapens games if you can't make your character mouth the words they are saying.

    With that said, I'm in no hurry for the next gen until they prove to me it is 100 times better than this generation. And this gen is pretty good IMHO.

  33. #33
    LASooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,752
    Join Date
    May 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Canyon Country, California

    Re: Next Gen Console Updates

    Prepare to be disappointed then. The other issue with this change is that it has been so long since the platforms have been refreshed, that the expectations are going to exceed the capabilities.
    The following users like this post: chantundefeated


  34. #34
    Yeah, I don't see that happening. The graphics advancement has been incredible as a whole, but they don't seem to be near there yet with faces. Then once they do get there with faces, I imagine it will be an uncanny valley situation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

  35. #35
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    11,439
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    vCash
    5250
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    There have been improvements, but there can still be ground gained.

    Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream got it pretty good, and LA Noire was decent too...I hope that we continue to see games like this in the future.

  36. #36
    Don't you just love rumors?

    I'd be ok with this just as long as I can play games without being connected to the internet.

    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/fresh...-again/0113921

  37. #37
    SoonerBeerSnob's Avatar
    Posts
    9,684
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    1380
    Location
    Traylur Park #473

    Originally Posted by SoopaSooner View Post
    Don't you just love rumors?

    I'd be ok with this just as long as I can play games without being connected to the internet.

    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/fresh...-again/0113921
    This makes much more sense. I would imagine that most of the game would be cloud based to keep from having a giant hard drive. That is why the always on would be needed for the mini

  38. #38
    Kingpen's Avatar
    Posts
    172
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Near Dallas

    Originally Posted by Kingpen View Post
    OK I'll give my 2 cents....

    These next gen consoles better rock my damn world. I'm talking VERY detailed graphics & textures, no angles on rounded objects, AND articulate speech. I wanna see faces, mouths and hands move accurately when they are delivering speech. It cheapens games if you can't make your character mouth the words they are saying.

    With that said, I'm in no hurry for the next gen until they prove to me it is 100 times better than this generation. And this gen is pretty good IMHO.
    OK, so, I quoted myself. BECAUSE after watching LA's video on the future of game characters thread, I am now IN for the next gen. If they can get it THAT realistic, I'm all for it.

  39. #39
    El Jefe's Avatar
    Posts
    3,628
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    vCash
    3380
    Location
    East Dallas, Homie

    Looks like May 21 is the date.



    Microsoft's next-generation Xbox will be revealed on May 21st, 2013, an invitation from the company has revealed. The announcement from Don Mattrick and the Xbox team, titled "a new generation revealed," will take place at the company's Xbox campus in Redmond, Washington.
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/24/42...ed-on-may-21st

  40. #40
    SoonerBeerSnob's Avatar
    Posts
    9,684
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    vCash
    1380
    Location
    Traylur Park #473

    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...-xbox-infinity

    Speculation abounds about the name of Microsoft’s next-generation Xbox, set to be revealed on May 21st. Will it be called Xbox 720? How about its codename, Durango? Will it be called just Xbox? Or how about Xbox Infinity?
    According to sources speaking with The International Business Times, it’s the latter moniker – Xbox Infinity – that’s the name of Microsoft’s third console. “Sources related to development of the new Xbox have confirmed to IBTimes UK that the console… will be called Infinity,” the article states.
    The article also states that developers have next Xbox development kits, a given considering the console is likely to launch in fewer than six months.

  41. #41

  42. #42
    They really jump ahead.
    1 to 360.
    360 to infinity.
    Somebody tell Microsoft there are available numbers in between.
    The following users like this post: soonerUthenMe


  43. #43
    LASooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,752
    Join Date
    May 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Canyon Country, California


    3 users like LASooner's post: oucub23, Redhawk, Sabla


  44. #44
    nlight1's Avatar
    Posts
    2,630
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Oklahoma & nowhere else

    Well played la...

  45. #45
    LASooner's Avatar
    Posts
    3,752
    Join Date
    May 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Canyon Country, California

    less than 24 hours to go, here's the rumors grouped.

    http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/20/n...dup/#continued

  46. #46

  47. #47
    DYNOMITE's Avatar
    Posts
    446
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    FL

    And its on Spike tv.

    Other stream

    http://www.gametrailers.com/netstora...down/live.html

  48. #48
    metes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,989
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Xbox One looks fresh as ****!

  49. #49
    metes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,989
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    vCash
    1000
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    TV integration looks so awesome!

  50. #50

Similar Threads

  1. would you get high and console with scary sochi bear?
    By Oklahomey in forum O'Connell's
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: February 24th, 2014, 03:08 PM
  2. Man of Steel console game
    By Kingpen in forum Entertainment & Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 14th, 2013, 04:25 PM
  3. Console Modding. Awesome
    By usaosooner in forum Entertainment & Tech
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 16th, 2013, 02:37 AM
  4. Console Launch Prices adjusted for inflation
    By usaosooner in forum Entertainment & Tech
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: January 31st, 2013, 10:51 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 18th, 2013, 02:40 PM