What a hero Lebron James is!

Posted 606 day(s) ago 1980 Views 39 Replies
Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1

    What a hero Lebron James is!

    LeBron James doesn't think it's possible to be paid his actual value under the current NBA rules. Because of it, he said, he's been willing to "sacrifice" on his contracts.

    "What I do on the floor shows my value. At the end of the day, I don't think my value on the floor can really be compensated for, anyways, because of the (collective bargaining agreement),"

    "If you want the truth. If this was baseball, it'd be up, I mean way up there."
    There is no salary cap in Major League Baseball. James, who took a pay cut to sign with the Heat in 2010, is making $17.5 million this season, tied for 13th-highest in the NBA. The Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant is first at $27.8 million.
    In 2011, when he was asked what it would take to get him to play in Europe during the NBA's lockout, James speculated his play might be worth $50 million a year.

    In the past several months, the Oklahoma City Thunder and Memphis Grizzlies have traded star players because they were concerned about their salaries being too costly when a more stringent luxury tax arrives next season. The Thunder traded James Harden last fall, and the Grizzlies traded Rudy Gay this week.
    James and teammates Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh all took less than the maximum salary when they signed three years ago. That should enable the Heat to keep them together next season, even with the new tax rules. James doesn't believe they have gotten credit for that decision.
    "I have not had a full max deal yet in my career -- that's a story untold," James said.
    "I don't get (the credit) for it. That doesn't matter to me; playing the game is what matters to me. Financially, I'll sacrifice for the team. It shows for some of the top guys, it isn't all about money. That's the genuine side of this, it's about winning. I understand that."
    Forbes recently estimated James earns $40 million per year in endorsements and sponsorships, thanks to deals with Nike, Coca-Cola, McDonald's, State Farm and Samsung.
    LINK

  2. #2
    He opted out of Cleveland when they were offering a max deal. Makes 40 million off endorsement deals. cry me a river
    3 users like usaosooner's post: Irish_Sooner, Julz, SiggyPoke


  3. #3
    Non-story. Somebody asked him a question, he answered it honestly.

    Yes, if this were the MLB, he could fetch north of $40M/year. $50M/year is probably about right.
    4 users like Teo9969's post: KumquatOne, SiggyPoke, Sooner2012, VRO405


  4. #4
    Say you don't agree with the CBA, say you think you deserve more. Commenting that you don't get credit for sacrificing makes you sound like a **** when you're raking in that kind of money.
    4 users like OrangeBlossom's post: EufaulaSooner, IndySooner, Irish_Sooner, Lost Chickasaw


  5. #5
    Originally Posted by OrangeBlossom View Post
    Say you don't agree with the CBA, say you think you deserve more. Commenting that you don't get credit for sacrificing makes you sound like a **** when you're raking in that kind of money.
    Again, somebody asked him a question...he answered honestly.

    He didn't just hold a press conference to announce that his contract is undervalued. Somebody probably asked him a question to the extent of "How much do you think your play is worth?"

  6. #6
    sooner518's Avatar
    Posts
    4,263
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Originally Posted by OrangeBlossom View Post
    Say you don't agree with the CBA, say you think you deserve more. Commenting that you don't get credit for sacrificing makes you sound like a **** when you're raking in that kind of money.
    youre really stretching to be outraged arent you? someone sounds like a **** in this thread, but it aint him.... nothing he said is incorrect in any way. relative to the rest of the league, he is underpaid. he sounds like someone who was asked a very point blank question with an obvious answer, and he answered in the obvious way.

  7. #7
    what he said is true, aannnd what the Heat have done as a team, (Bosh, Wade, James) others should try to emulate. But a dude like Harden has to get his money so he gets traded. LeBron is hard to take at times, but he's spot on here, no matter how the question was framed. They all took less to win. None of them get enough credit for that.
    The following users like this post: VRO405


  8. #8
    VRO405's Avatar
    Posts
    7,849
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    I don't understand why we're piling on King James...give credit where credit is due... Let's not be ugly

  9. #9
    there might be more Lebron lovers in here than you originally thought Orange. lol! I agree that he probably would make about 40-50 mill a year in baseball though.

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    nothing he said is incorrect in any way. relative to the rest of the league, he is underpaid. he sounds like someone who was asked a very point blank question with an obvious answer, and he answered in the obvious way.
    He took less money on purpose by signing with Miami. He made that choice, he knew he wouldn't be getting paid. Should be happy he got his ring, he comes off as petty
    The following users like this post: Irish_Sooner


  11. #11
    Originally Posted by Lost Chickasaw View Post
    there might be more Lebron lovers in here than you originally thought Orange. lol! I agree that he probably would make about 40-50 mill a year in baseball though.
    Yeah right. He probably sucks at baseball.

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Again, somebody asked him a question...he answered honestly.

    He didn't just hold a press conference to announce that his contract is undervalued. Somebody probably asked him a question to the extent of "How much do you think your play is worth?"
    That's exactly the point. His honest response is exactly what makes him look like a ****. Playing a kid's game for $17 million per year and $40 million in endorsements? Honest or not, his response makes him sound like a petty ****.
    3 users like OnlyOne's post: EufaulaSooner, Irish_Sooner, usaosooner


  13. #13
    KCRuf/Nek's Avatar
    Posts
    39,343
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Prairie Village, Ks.

    Funny OKC fans are bagging on LaBron when their hero bent the Thunder over and went elsewhere. Greedy is okay depending on who it is.
    2 users like KCRuf/Nek's post: jmizzy4ou, VRO405


  14. #14
    Sounds like now that he has his ring, he wants to go back to the money.
    The following users like this post: IndySooner


  15. #15
    VRO405's Avatar
    Posts
    7,849
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    I don't know if it's the perception that you guys have of LeBron, or lack of reading comprehension, but some of the comments on this thread are just absurd! All he said was that he sacrificed money for winning with the new CBA, and that it never gets talked about. He also said that if the NBA did not have a cap, he could be making a whole lot more money...

    He was not complaining about how much he makes.

    He did not say he was going to play baseball.

    He did not say he wants to re-negotiate his contract.

    Was asked a question, then replied.

  16. #16
    He is right, Lebron,Kobe, KD are worth far more than their franchises pay them. And they do sacrifice money, but they are sacrificing for other "regular" players. The top players are underpaid, but the end of the bench guys are way overpaid, especially a vet who never plays and makes $2 million.

  17. #17
    They're all overpaid... that's why tickets cost an arm and a leg.
    Lebron answered a question, and it might offend people because they wish they made the money he does. Just like Phil Mickelson complaining about taxes pissed people off.
    Lebron isn't paid to answer questions the right way or be a politician and please everyone... he's paid to be a badass and win games. And he's pretty ****ing good at it.

    He probably doesn't get paid enough.
    The following users like this post: jmizzy4ou


  18. #18

    What a hero Lebron James is!

    Originally Posted by Wailer View Post
    what he said is true, aannnd what the Heat have done as a team, (Bosh, Wade, James) others should try to emulate. But a dude like Harden has to get his money so he gets traded. LeBron is hard to take at times, but he's spot on here, no matter how the question was framed. They all took less to win. None of them get enough credit for that.
    He's right. But his delivery is why I've never liked him.

  19. #19
    Christe Eleison people...SOMEONE ASKED HIM A QUESTION AND HE ANSWERED IT.

    Get the **** over it. The only people who sound petty are the one's expecting him to answer a question dishonestly to please the masses.

  20. #20
    VRO405's Avatar
    Posts
    7,849
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    In other news, I guess he is contemplating on participating in Slam Dunk contest.

  21. #21
    oudavid1's Avatar
    Posts
    4,828
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NW Oklahoma City

    He is the best player in the world. That's all I really know.

  22. #22
    sooner518's Avatar
    Posts
    4,263
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    He took less money on purpose by signing with Miami. He made that choice, he knew he wouldn't be getting paid. Should be happy he got his ring, he comes off as petty
    You basically just said the exact same thing lebron said

  23. #23
    I'll keep LeBron in my prayers and hope he pulls through this tough time.
    2 users like JJohnson14's post: usaosooner, VRO405


  24. #24
    Winters's Avatar
    Posts
    181
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Manhattan, Kansas.

    Best in the world

  25. #25
    Originally Posted by Winters View Post
    Best in the world
    Oh **** me in the face...we have another Heat fan now...

  26. #26
    Nazgul's Avatar
    Posts
    2,267
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Minas Morgul

    What a hero Lebron James is!

    So, James Harden sucks?

  27. #27
    Irish_Sooner's Avatar
    Posts
    16,741
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX

    Q) Have I ever mentioned that I hate LeBron more than any professional athlete?

    A) Yes I have many, many times...

    Okay just wanted to make sure my opinion on this child is known and not misunderstood or underestimated.

    I hope he suffers a mental breakdown(similar but 100x more severe than a golfer getting the "yips") that causes his hand-eye coordination to 100% completely abandon him and he has to retire in shame and humiliation and ends up broke within 6 months of retiring forcing him and his greedy, freakshow of a Mother to find out what their true "value" is in the real world where they can only get jobs at McDs.

    Yes I hate the guy and yes I am a hater in this instance but I just cannot stand this guy. Which is obviously putting it mildly.

  28. #28
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a
    Originally Posted by VRO405 View Post
    I don't know if it's the perception that you guys have of LeBron, or lack of reading comprehension, but some of the comments on this thread are just absurd! All he said was that he sacrificed money for winning with the new CBA, and that it never gets talked about. He also said that if the NBA did not have a cap, he could be making a whole lot more money...

    He was not complaining about how much he makes.

    He did not say he was going to play baseball.

    He did not say he wants to re-negotiate his contract.

    Was asked a question, then replied.
    reread it. Some of his comments "I haven't had a max deal yet", etc comes off as complaining and being a ****.

    He chose his salary. go play
    The following users like this post: OnlyOne


  29. #29
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a
    Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Christe Eleison people...SOMEONE ASKED HIM A QUESTION AND HE ANSWERED IT.

    Get the **** over it. The only people who sound petty are the one's expecting him to answer a question dishonestly to please the masses.
    Dude, we all know that he was asked a question. And half of us think his answers sound petty. It's not that big of a deal. We can have differeing opinions. IMO he could have answered it a lot better while still making his point
    2 users like SoonerBounce's post: OnlyOne, OrangeBlossom


  30. #30
    Winters's Avatar
    Posts
    181
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Manhattan, Kansas.

    Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Oh **** me in the face...we have another Heat fan now...

  31. #31
    SarasotaSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    5,973
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL

    Re: What a hero Lebron James is!

    Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Funny OKC fans are bagging on LaBron when their hero bent the Thunder over and went elsewhere. Greedy is okay depending on who it is.
    This

  32. #32
    Written's Avatar
    Posts
    1,007
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hollywood

    Kobes 27.8mm Vs. LeBron 17.5mm

    And yet Lebron is the vastly superior player.

    Yes, LBJ did sacrifice. Because you know Kobe wasn't taking any pay cut to have a better team. He'd rather play in shit and complain about it.

  33. #33
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a
    Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Funny OKC fans are bagging on LaBron when their hero bent the Thunder over and went elsewhere. Greedy is okay depending on who it is.
    this is a stupid statement and shows you don't understand why people don't like lebron

  34. #34
    SarasotaSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    5,973
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL

    Re: What a hero Lebron James is!

    Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    this is a stupid statement and shows you don't understand why people don't like lebron
    Because "the decision" raised millions for The Boys and Girls Club?

  35. #35
    I agree pretty much with Lebron.
    The following users like this post: SarasotaSooner


  36. #36
    SoonerBounce Guest
    SoonerBounce's Avatar
    Posts
    n/a

    What a hero Lebron James is!

    Originally Posted by Palmbeachsooner View Post
    Because "the decision" raised millions for The Boys and Girls Club?
    Sure

  37. #37
    Why anybody would stick up for a guy worth hundreds of millions or dollars is beyond me. I don't care either way. All pro sports players are over paid. Doctors are saving lives getting paid fractions of that.

  38. #38
    Originally Posted by sooner59 View Post
    Why anybody would stick up for a guy worth hundreds of millions or dollars is beyond me. I don't care either way. All pro sports players are over paid. Doctors are saving lives getting paid fractions of that.
    I am a doctor and I think LeBron James deserves to make way more than I do. I hear too many people casually claim that athletes are overpaid. Can we please define what it means to be overpaid? In my opinion, an employee is only overpaid if the amount of money he's paid is more than the amount he earns for his employer. LeBron james makes $17,545,000 annually. I guarantee you he earns the Miami Heat more than that. If you look at how much the Heat pay LeBron compared to how much money he makes for the ownership, you'll find that he's grossly underpaid.
    3 users like soonerbms's post: danbear45, OKCChuck, SarasotaSooner


  39. #39
    Originally Posted by soonerbms View Post
    I am a doctor and I think LeBron James deserves to make way more than I do. I hear too many people casually claim that athletes are overpaid. Can we please define what it means to be overpaid? In my opinion, an employee is only overpaid if the amount of money he's paid is more than the amount he earns for his employer. LeBron james makes $17,545,000 annually. I guarantee you he earns the Miami Heat more than that. If you look at how much the Heat pay LeBron compared to how much money he makes for the ownership, you'll find that he's grossly underpaid.
    I get the whole capitalism, supply-and-demand, advertising bit. Yes compared to how much athletes bring in, they are underpaid. I'm not about to argue that. My point is that I don't like the system because it is morally bankrupt when some guy that that never attempted to get a higher education because he was born as a great athlete is handed the world on a silver platter. And across town is some no name doctor that is putting himself through hell to save someone's life and, yeah he makes decent money, but gets a small fraction of the athlete's paycheck. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying doctors should get $18M per year. I'm saying they deserve more than athletes based on what they do for humanity. That will never happen, but my drive home point is simply that the fact that athletes are given that much is ridiculous. But to your point, their boss doesn't really deserve to make that much either. It's business, just more open to the public than most businesses. It's America. It's capitalism. It's just one example that I am not a fan of.

  40. #40
    Originally Posted by sooner59 View Post
    I get the whole capitalism, supply-and-demand, advertising bit. Yes compared to how much athletes bring in, they are underpaid. I'm not about to argue that. My point is that I don't like the system because it is morally bankrupt when some guy that that never attempted to get a higher education because he was born as a great athlete is handed the world on a silver platter. And across town is some no name doctor that is putting himself through hell to save someone's life and, yeah he makes decent money, but gets a small fraction of the athlete's paycheck. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying doctors should get $18M per year. I'm saying they deserve more than athletes based on what they do for humanity. That will never happen, but my drive home point is simply that the fact that athletes are given that much is ridiculous. But to your point, their boss doesn't really deserve to make that much either. It's business, just more open to the public than most businesses. It's America. It's capitalism. It's just one example that I am not a fan of.
    Lebron James shouldn't be criticized because he didn't get a college degree. He wasn't handed anything on a silver platter. He just happens to be 6'9" and a great athlete, but he's become the most dominant player in the NBA because he's worked his ass off to get there. The fact that a doctor is good at being a doctor and Lebron is good at basketball is irrelevant. The world loves entertainment, and athletes are some of the greatest entertainers. There's no auto tune or whatever bullshit the music industry puts out there... these guys can't sample other people's work. At least at the highest levels of sports, the great ones outshine the shitty ones.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 24th, 2013, 11:20 AM

Tags for this Thread