'13 DB Dakota Austin - Verbal

Posted 631 day(s) ago 4528 Views 46 Replies

Recruitment '13 DB Dakota Austin - Verbal

CB just committed to us according to Scout.

Recruitment '13 DB Dakota Austin - Verbal

Did Dakota Austin commit today?

Dakota Austin

Yes

atalk
    2 users like 2SBTM's post: jmizzy4ou, oudidntknow84

Welcome Mr. Austin. Here's to an All-American career at the University of Oklahoma.

Two-star. Not that it matters, of course.

A 2014 recruit isn't he. I wouldn't think stars matter at this point.

Played at the same highschool as Demontre Hurst. Really skinny at this point, but he shut down everyone he went up against last summer at the OU camp. If he can bulk up he'll be a good cover corner.

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    A 2014 recruit isn't he. I wouldn't think stars matter at this point.
    Nope, 2013. Coaches probably feel we missed on either LJ Moore or Adrian Baker.

People will bash him for only being a 2 star. But he's good. And it's a plus he's from Lancaster. He'll help us recruit those guys for next year

Who is Dakota Austin?

Great news

Dakota Austin

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...-Austin-120559

Ht:5'11" Wt:167 lbs Offers from: Indiana, Nevada, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UNLV, Utah State, & UTEP.
    Scout 3 Star 247 3 star Rivals 2 Star

40:4.5 secs
    Bench Max:215
    Squat Max:425
    Vertical:36 inches
    Class:2013 (High School)

Freshman -Soph Film
    Last edited by usaosooner; February 2nd, 2013 at 03:37 PM.

WHAT DOES DAKOTA AUSTIN LOOK LIKE?!?!

Probably get a 3rd star here pretty soon. Very good player

Welcome aboard.
    The following users like this post: jmizzy4ou

Originally Posted by Onikuno View Post
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/foo...-Austin-120559

Originally Posted by Onikuno View Post
    The following users like this post: oorah_okie

Dominique Alexander‏@savageways_11

Say what you want on the rankings and stuff. But Dakota Austin is Cold. That boy Lockdown. Good Pick Up.
    6 users like Vodnik's post: AcousticSoup, jmizzy4ou, OldSooner, Sooner 76, usaosooner, VRO405

Dom Alexander's positive tweet about Austin is good in two ways. First, that he is considered a good player and second, that Dom is likely to sign with OU on Wednesday.
    2 users like Sooner 76's post: 8 Delay, jmizzy4ou

It also looks like he WANTS to come here, and he WANTS to be a Sooner. It also helps he's not only been on campus but played on the field in front of the coaches for at least a week so the coaches can see his potential. Welcome Dakota!

Good enough for UTEP, good enough for OU. Another tie for the Big12 on lockdown!

The recruit in question was cornerback Dakota Austin (Lancaster, Texas/Lancaster). Austin’s ability to lock down receivers made him a star during the summer. But a week before signing day, Austin still hadn’t found a home.

[+] Enlarge

Bob Przybylo/ESPN.com
    Cornerback Dakota Austin earned a late Oklahoma offer and committed on the spot.
    Now, he’s going back to Norman, Okla. During his official visit to OU, he confirmed Saturday morning he has committed to the Sooners. Austin didn’t have an offer going into the visit. But once he got the offer, the choice was made simple.

Austin was sensational at OU’s camp and one of the highlights of the event was Austin going against ESPN Watch List wide receiver K.D. Cannon (Mount Pleasant, Texas/Mount Pleasant).

There was no questioning Austin’s cover skills. The question has always been about his size. Measured at 5-foot-10 and 149 pounds, there's no doubt Austin is a bit light in frame.

But OU coaches are trusting their eyes. OU quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel told Austin when he left the camp to not commit anywhere without getting in touch with the Sooners first.

Austin never committed and a spot opened up at OU. Simply put, the pieces came together. Austin chose OU over offers from New Mexico, Nevada and UTEP.

Austin is OU’s 22nd commitment for the class and the second cornerback. He joins ESPN 300 athlete Stanvon Taylor (Tulsa, Okla./East Central) as the other pledge so far for OU’s class.

The Sooners are still pursuing two four-star cornerbacks leading up to signing day in ESPN 300 athlete Adrian Baker (Hollywood, Fla./Chaminade-Madonna) and cornerback L.J. Moore (Fresno, Calif./Central East).

Said OU commit Dominique Alexander (Tulsa, Okla./Booker T. Washington) on Austin’s commitment via Twitter: “Say what you want on rankings and stuff. But Dakota Austin is Cold. That boy Lockdown. Good Pick Up.”

Alexander was at the same camp as Austin at OU in June.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfr...-commits-to-ou
    2 users like usaosooner's post: jmizzy4ou, Onikuno

Scout already kicked him up to 3 stars. Unless they already had him had 3 stars.

Two things I noticed about his highlights.

First, he does appear to be short.

Second, the kid is a real GAMER! He plays like a much bigger player.

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    Scout already kicked him up to 3 stars. Unless they already had him had 3 stars.

He is also a 3 star on 247 for what its worth

He might have some trouble with the taller receivers but it doesn't matter if they are or not, the kid can play. Watch him be a all-american for us.

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    He is also a 3 star on 247 for what its worth
    I'll bet $3.58 that he's a 3-star because of his height.

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Let's get Adrian Baker as well. If OU doesn't, I ain't go'n be mad. Not after watching that film
    The following users like this post: jmizzy4ou

Film is pretty decent, but not overwhelming. What IS overwhelming is the reports of what he has done in camps and the praise other players have for him. I think if the kid is that good of a natural cover corner, he will be able to be coached up by Mike into a Beast. Just needs to get in the weight room and training table.

cracks me up...the ****ing haters will say the kid sucks and the staff sucks if he is a 2 or 3 star, but hang their nut sack on a 5 star...but the throw a fit when the 5 star is a flop. ME personally, I would rather see kids under the radar and bust their ass because they are hungry vs the 5 star that comes in and feels he is owed something. Dont get me wrong, sprinkle the class with some 5's, I wont be mad, but dont kill yourself if you dont meet the top rankings....ie TEXAS

What concerns me is that it lists his 40 as 4.5. Which means its probably more like 4.7. Not that 40 time means everything....

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    I'll bet $3.58 that he's a 3-star because of his height.
    This. I haven't seen his film yet, but that is a safe assumption.

How big was d strait out of HS?

Originally Posted by Soonrbakr View Post
    It also looks like he WANTS to come here, and he WANTS to be a Sooner. It also helps he's not only been on campus but played on the field in front of the coaches for at least a week so the coaches can see his potential. Welcome Dakota!
    Well, if the only other places that had offered you came from the list below, wouldn't you jump on an OU offer, also?

Austin (5-foot-11, 167 pounds) visited Nevada and UNLV in the two weekends before his visit to Norman. He also had offers from Tulsa, Indiana, Texas Tech, Utah State and UTEP.

http://newsok.com/cornerback-dakota-...rticle/3751544

Color me unimpressed.

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    cracks me up...the ****ing haters will say the kid sucks and the staff sucks if he is a 2 or 3 star, but hang their nut sack on a 5 star...but the throw a fit when the 5 star is a flop. ME personally, I would rather see kids under the radar and bust their ass because they are hungry vs the 5 star that comes in and feels he is owed something. Dont get me wrong, sprinkle the class with some 5's, I wont be mad, but dont kill yourself if you dont meet the top rankings....ie TEXAS
    5* recruits since 2002 Pasha Jackson, Zach Lattimore, AD, Rhett Bomar, Chris Patterson, DeMarcus Granger, Ryan Reynolds, Mike Reed, RJ Washington, Stephen Good, Jermie Calhoun, Brandon Williams, Trey Metoyer.

How many performed like 5* athletes. Except for AD and Reynolds (coulda been good w/o injuries) I see a lot of under-performers and wash outs.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Well, if the only other places that had offered you came from the list below, wouldn't you jump on an OU offer, also?

Austin (5-foot-11, 167 pounds) visited Nevada and UNLV in the two weekends before his visit to Norman. He also had offers from Tulsa, Indiana, Texas Tech, Utah State and UTEP.

http://newsok.com/cornerback-dakota-...rticle/3751544

Color me unimpressed.
    Fine. Consider yourself colored.

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    cracks me up...the ****ing haters will say the kid sucks and the staff sucks if he is a 2 or 3 star, but hang their nut sack on a 5 star...but the throw a fit when the 5 star is a flop.
    Screw you pal, just because we want the 5 star players to play like 5 star players and the 2 star players to play like 5 star players is no reason to call us out.

Kid prolly sucks

Originally Posted by ResidentEvil View Post
    What concerns me is that it lists his 40 as 4.5. Which means its probably more like 4.7. Not that 40 time means everything....
    No shit this guy at that size should be 4.2 40 yd dash. While coloring, color me unimpressed.

I sat behind him @ K St game yesterday. Seemed like a good kid, but he was small. That is fine w/ me cause TALl ain't all. Hopefully he works out & plays like he has a chip on his shoulder!!

'13 DB Dakota Austin - Verbal

I hope he has a Napoleon Complex and wants to conquer the world.

Bump.. I remember moving tons of shit from this thread at the time. Played very well when he got in vs Bama
    2 users like usaosooner's post: AlvinMack55, Stoops'Visor

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    Kid prolly sucks

Originally Posted by Stoops'Visor View Post
    LOL he gonna b a good one, yo!

The guy can flat out cover! Only knock on him was his size. Once again, Mike Stoops' eye for CB talent "one-ups" the recruiting services' star rankings.