Thoughts on K-St / LNC / OU bb

Posted 565 day(s) ago 1031 Views 23 Replies

Took family of 5 yesterday & it was fun. relatively cheap, compared to fb games. WTh is the deal w/ all the NO-SHOWS??!!! Atmosphere was good, not great, til the end. Then it got KRUNK in that place! Like the old days!
    Purple Kansas was better offensively. They have 2 Centers & we have none. They are so much better coached, now tht crazy eyes is gone. FWIW, I sat by an "alleged" BIGtime K-St booster, & she said Frank was goign to be forced out, & actually got a better job....S.Carolina. K-St is solid all the way around. We still have some issues (don't value the ball enough, ZERO true Center, no go to guard).

LNC is nice & the renovations have made it nicer. That being said, WTH are we doing by not honoring Ryan Minor more? From what I could tell, Willie Warren was his equal! This is judged on pics & stuff in trophy cases. Ryan is one of the 5 ALL TIME Sooners. WTh was all the fans? I bet there were 2k seats open. MANY in the lower section, inside the courts (maybe donor seats). Just very disapointed in that.

OU bb is far better coached now, than we used to be. I liked Capel & he was a nice guy, but.... This staff is doing a fantaastic job. I was also thoroughly impressed w/ K-St, as they show just as much improvement as we do, but with better talent. I'm excited about Kruger, & what he can do for us. We need a true Center, & a stud guard, & we are on our way.

family had a great time, but it would've been incredible if the place was packed...

Keep winning and fans will come.

Re: Thoughts on K-St / LNC / OU bb

You haven't kept up with much OU basketball lately, have you?

Capel left Kruger with nothing. Martin left Webber with much more. Webber is not a better coach than Kruger.

Problem is, OU is still a football school and even when they were a tourney team every season they still didnt fill up expect big non conference games, OSU and KU. It was better than it is now. Stay patient it will get there, the thunder has just taken the casual OU away. Like someone said winning will get them back.
    As far as the Ryan Minor thing, he was great and top 10, I think top 5 is a little high, at OU I just dont know what a few more pictures will do. I dont think he is on the retired jersey level.
    The following users like this post: COLLISON ANGRY

The students have been rocking the past few games, that is for sure.
    The following users like this post: Bk2X

Frank Martin is crazy, but its not like he was a bum as a coach, they were in the elite 8 a couple of years ago. And her being a big booster means she has donated money at some point in time to the school lol.

Originally Posted by mort6481 View Post
    The students have been rocking the past few games, that is for sure.
    Students have been much better, I will give you that. Still a long way to go to get back to the way it used to be, though.

Weber & Kruger are both superior to Frank "crazy eyes" Martin. His claim to fame was a stripped Fl HS state title. That is how they got the ball rolling @ K-St, was to bring in his HS recruited players. He enherited a LOADED team from Huggy bear, & was about to lose it.

Ryan Minor was a superstar, that was dupped into staying by the smooth talking Kevin samson. He would've been top 3 pick in teh draft, had he left after his Big 8 P.O.Y.! How many players have won P.O.Y. awards at OU? Bet it's les than five.

Originally Posted by txbbcoach4OU View Post
    Weber & Kruger are both superior to Frank "crazy eyes" Martin. His claim to fame was a stripped Fl HS state title. That is how they got the ball rolling @ K-St, was to bring in his HS recruited players. He enherited a LOADED team from Huggy bear, & was about to lose it.

Ryan Minor was a superstar, that was dupped into staying by the smooth talking Kevin samson. He would've been top 3 pick in teh draft, had he left after his Big 8 P.O.Y.! How many players have won P.O.Y. awards at OU? Bet it's les than five.
    minor would not have been a top 3 pick......you're crazy

Top fivish...

Alvin/Wayman
    Blake
    Mookie
    Hollis
    Eduardo

Minor would be hard pressed to get them Gatorade.

Alvan Adams
    John McCullough
    Wayman Tisdale (3 times)
    Stacy King
    Ryan Minor
    Blake Griffin

1995 Draft

Joe Smith
    Antonio McDyess
    Jerry Stackhouse
    Rasheed Wallace
    Kevin Garnett

Stop me anytime.

Also, here is the 95 draft...no way Minor is a lottery pick, much less top 3.

1. Joe Smith Maryland
    2.Antonio McDyess Alabama
    3.Jerry Stackhouse North Carolina
    4.Rasheed Wallace North Carolina
    5.Kevin Garnett Farragut Academy (Ill.)
    6.Bryant Reeves Oklahoma State
    7.Damon Stoudamire Arizona
    8.Shawn Respert Michigan State
    9.Ed O'Bannon UCLA
    10.Kurt Thomas Texas Christian
    11.Gary Trent Ohio University
    12.Cherokee Parks Duke
    13.Corliss Williamson Arkansas
    14.Eric Williams Providence
    15.Brent Barry Oregon State
    16.Alan Henderson Indiana
    17.Bob Sura Florida State
    18.Theo Ratliff Wyoming
    19.Randolph Childress Wake Forest
    20.Jason Caffey Alabama
    21.Michael Finley Wisconsin
    22.George Zidek UCLA
    23.Travis Best Georgia Teach
    24.Loren Meyer Iowa State
    25.David Vaughn Memphis
    26.Sherell Ford Illinois-Chicago
    27.Mario Bennett Arizona State
    28.Greg Ostertag Kansas
    29.Cory Alexander Virginia

KC beat me to it.

LNC crowd has sucked for awhile. Need to bring back the skeeter-meter.

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    KC beat me to it.
    Great minds.

[QUOTE=KCRuf/Nek;1071225]Top fivish...

Alvin/Wayman
    Blake
    Mookie
    Hollis
    Eduardo

Garfield Heard

OK, I admit, top 3 was an exxageration. He would prolly be top 15. r
    Remember, this was BEFORE he had a sub-par Sr. season, NOT AFTER. His Jr year , if he came out, he was definitely first round, & I've even herd Kevin samson admit that. The jerk samson, cost Minor millions, & that isn't really debatable (although some on here live to argue w/ a fence post).

Remember, this was BEFORE he had a sub-par Sr. season, NOT AFTER. His Jr year , if he came out, he was definitely first round, & I've even herd Kevin samson admit that. The jerk samson, cost Minor millions, & that isn't really debatable (although some on here live to argue w/ a fence post).

it's a myth that minor would have gone first round after his junior year...
    he never had nba talent no matter what year you want to focus on....

He didnt cost him millions. First off the NBA wasnt just handing out millions of dollar contracts to rookies in the mid 90s like they are now. Secondly he got a chance to play in the NBA, had he had the talent to make millions he would have made millions.
    Lastly had he done that he may not have gotten the opportunity the play in the MLB and make the money he did there.

College basketball is dead. If you love college b-ball, more power to you. But the ineptitude of the skillmanship has driven many previous die hard fans away from the game. I find college basketball borderline unwatchable, and it used to be my favorite sport to watch. I'm sure there are others who think the same way, as college b-ball attendance is way down across the board. Outside of a few strongholds that will never give up on the sport (because its all those universities have, ie Duke, KU, Kentucky, Indiana...), college basketball is just repugnant. The ones and dones, the live by the three die by the three offenses, the hilarious inability of a big man to post up and score with his back to the basket, the 44-40 "shootouts"....no team should go 10 minutes and only score two points. No team should go 10 minutes and only score ten points. The average college basketball game should end at about 74-70. 88-84 is a high scoring game, 64-60 is a low scoring game. Never, ever should a score end in the 40s...or worse.

Just like there's too much scoring in college football, there's too little scoring in basketball. It's not good defense either, its bad offense. And there is no real solution, it will take a greater emphasis on skillmanship at the middle school and high school levels in order to achieve this. But there's no interest to develop talent and skills at the lower education levels, leaving college coaches a bare cupboard of dribblers, passers, dribble penetrators, back-to-the-basket movers, and mid-range jump shooters (which was not the case 20 years ago). Thus, there's neither incentive nor capability for college coaches to do anything except recruit a one and doner and heave a bunch of 3s up as if its the only scoring option. Which is a horrid sport.

yet you take the time and make the effort to post about it on a basketball message board.....

are you barry tramel?

Berry Tramel 11:08 a.m. It's a good point. But so was mine. After a monumental OU victory, the Sooners went 11 minutes without so much as a point and lost at home. After a monumental OSU victory, the Cowboys threatened to not reach double digits by halftime. My point in all this was to say it's not an OU or OSU issue. It's a college basketball issue. The sport is in trouble.

Yeah, I was listening to Tim Brando this morning, and a lot of the same sentiments were being tossed around.

Oklahoma does quite a measure of clock killing as a method of competing with more talented teams. It does make it hard to watch, as there are tons of wasted passes and wasted movement followed by settling for a poor shot from the "post" (using this term loosely, as we rarely set position in the paint)

We need to trim the shot clock to at least :30, and :24 would be better still.

Originally Posted by Master Pandemonium View Post
    College basketball is dead. If you love college b-ball, more power to you. But the ineptitude of the skillmanship has driven many previous die hard fans away from the game. I find college basketball borderline unwatchable, and it used to be my favorite sport to watch. I'm sure there are others who think the same way, as college b-ball attendance is way down across the board. Outside of a few strongholds that will never give up on the sport (because its all those universities have, ie Duke, KU, Kentucky, Indiana...), college basketball is just repugnant. The ones and dones, the live by the three die by the three offenses, the hilarious inability of a big man to post up and score with his back to the basket, the 44-40 "shootouts"....no team should go 10 minutes and only score two points. No team should go 10 minutes and only score ten points. The average college basketball game should end at about 74-70. 88-84 is a high scoring game, 64-60 is a low scoring game. Never, ever should a score end in the 40s...or worse.

Just like there's too much scoring in college football, there's too little scoring in basketball. It's not good defense either, its bad offense. And there is no real solution, it will take a greater emphasis on skillmanship at the middle school and high school levels in order to achieve this. But there's no interest to develop talent and skills at the lower education levels, leaving college coaches a bare cupboard of dribblers, passers, dribble penetrators, back-to-the-basket movers, and mid-range jump shooters (which was not the case 20 years ago). Thus, there's neither incentive nor capability for college coaches to do anything except recruit a one and doner and heave a bunch of 3s up as if its the only scoring option. Which is a horrid sport.
    I lost interest in the mens' game long ago. To me it turned into jumping over and traveling around everyone and wanting to get on Sports Center. IMO if you want to see basketball played the way it should be then go watch the women. I know that's unpopular with most but that's MHO.