Trader Joe's

Posted 1748 day(s) ago by SoonerDustin10599 Views 54 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Buy a bottle of the hemp and peppermint soap. Amazing and cheap

Any of their frozen stuff is really good. Clams and Garlic Sauce, Korean Bul-go-gi, Meatballs, Carrot Cake. Really unique items and I haven't disliked any of them. Their chocolate-covered allkindsofthings are fun too.

Their Garlic Salt, Smoked Seasonings and 21 Seasonings are awesome. All their boil-in-a-bag stuff like lentils and other East Indian stuff is tasty. The Hummus Quartet is an old favorite.

The thing I love about TJ's is the ridiculous low prices on many of their items. Mine in the Springs is just a touch too far away for regular visits, but if I'm around it, I'll stop.

What Brands Are Actually Behind Trader Joe’s Snacks?

But even from the inside, Gardiner could not unveil Trader Joe’s biggest and best-kept secret: the hush-hush identities of the companies that produce the grocer’s beloved products.

[ ... ]

Many of these brands sell the same or similar products under their own names for a higher price. The catch is that Trader Joe’s and its suppliers all but swear to keep the agreement secret. "Suppliers aren’t allowed to say they supply Trader Joe’s products,” Gardiner says, “and Trader Joe’s never willingly talks about who their suppliers are.”

On top of that, Trader Joe’s executives and owners are notoriously tight-lipped about operations and hardly speak to the press about the business. Requests for details, especially about manufacturers, are generally declined.

[ ... ]

The ingredients in Stacy’s Simply Naked pita chips, for example, are exactly the same as Trader’s Joe’s sea-salt pita chips. Stacy’s is actually owned by Frito-Lay Inc, another subsidiary of PepsiCo. Likewise, the Mighty Mango beverage from PepsiCo.’s Naked Juice has the exact same ingredients as Trader Joe’s version, while the Naked Juice Green Machine is nearly the same as Trader Joe’s Very Green juice, with less banana puree and no chlorella or kale.

[ ... ]

Gardiner explained that the store emits the image of a neighborhood grocer specializing in organic, healthy, and unique goods, even though Trader Joe’s rarely, if ever, explicitly affirms these things.

[ ... ]

Our participants found little to no difference in taste between Trader Joe’s sea-salt pita chips, pretzel chips, and animal s compared to the name brands produced by suspected suppliers. On the other hand, our testers thought the juice smoothies, hummus, and pistachios tasted very different. They also noted subtle differences in Trader Joe’s gluten-free chocolate chip cookies (which has more brown sugar than Tate’s) and the chocolate-covered pretzel crisps (even though the pretzels have the exact same ingredients). Overall, though, tasters preferred the Trader Joe’s versions over the brand names.

[ ... ]

“People don’t think of this as generic,” Gardiner says. “[They think] ‘it’s Trader Joe’s — that’s the brand,’ and it’s a special brand that you can only get here. The truth is that almost all of this is stuff that you can probably get at another store within a few miles of that Trader Joe’s in a different package with a different name.”

Costco does the same thing. They sell a blue jean with their name that's made by Levis. Under $15 for a really good pair of jeans.