FEB 5 BHM - Slavery by Another Name

Posted 533 day(s) ago 520 Views 27 Replies

Its all about free labor

Bruthaman,

I'm wondering about topics this month and am curious if you'll educate us on black slave owners and blacks who were in favor of separate but equal?

I'm still hoping for some black history--not white people suck history.
    7 users like oucub23's post: Coach, Gonzo, greensooner, pbc2003, smot poker, Sooner5030, Soonerpsycho

vCash

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    For someone like Brutha they are one in the same. Far be it to discuss Frederick Douglass, GW Carver, Elijah McCoy, Booker T Washington, MLK among many. Much easier to be bitter, petty, and hateful.
    The following users like this post: Soonerpsycho

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    For someone like Brutha they are one in the same. Far be it to discuss Frederick Douglass, GW Carver, Elijah McCoy, Booker T Washington, MLK among many. Much easier to be bitter, petty, and hateful.
    Or ones most people haven't heard of, like Dr Rebecca Crumpler.

Here is a history lesson for you bruthaman.

We thought you were a douchebag throughout history and we still do.

vCash

On The Pioneers Of television they are doing the mini series and highlighting Roots. Would hate to talk about something positive like that.

Or ones most people haven't heard of, like Dr Rebecca Crumpler.
    Believe it or not I know who she is from learning it in school.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

vCash

28 days of "kill ******" and we are only on day 5...**** me this is going to be a long month
    The following users like this post: DRminimega67

Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Bruthaman,

I'm wondering about topics this month and am curious if you'll educate us on black slave owners and blacks who were in favor of separate but equal?
    Ill search it out for you.
    The following users like this post: Gonzo

It varies. Its not all sad/mad/pissed stories. I got such great responses on the Tim Wise thread, I decided to come back with something in the same line of rhetoric.

vCash

Black Slaveowners: Free Black Slave Masters in South Carolina, 1790-1860

Most Americans, both black and white, believe that slavery was a system maintained by whites to exploit blacks, but this authoritative study reveals the extent to which African Americans played a significant role as slave masters. Examining South Carolina's diverse population of African-American slaveowners, the book demonstrates that free African Americans widely embraced slavery as a viable economic system and that they--like their white counterparts--exploited the labor of slaves on their farms and in their businesses. Drawing on the federal census, wills, mortgage bills of sale, tax returns, and newspaper advertisements, the author reveals the nature of African-American slaveholding, its complexity, and its rationales. He describes how some African-American slave masters had earned their freedom but how many others--primarily mulattoes born of free parents--were unfamiliar with slavery's dehumanization.

vCash

The book and movie roots have been Proven to be lies and plagerism. Alex Haley stole or made up his family's history.

vCash

Originally Posted by lokifz1 View Post
    The book and movie roots have been Proven to be lies and plagerism. Alex Haley stole or made up his family's history.
    Could be. Still a good book.

Re: FEB 5 BHM - Slavery by Another Name

Are people saying that because there were black slave owners, whites are off the hook?

vCash

Are you saying that because slaves were black, whites are on the hook?

vCash

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    Are people saying that because there were black slave owners, whites are off the hook?
    I'm just as much on the hook for slavery as Brutha is for is for gang violence.

Originally Posted by smot poker View Post
    I'm just as much on the hook for slavery as Brutha is for is for gang violence.
    Yes and no.

It is easy to understand why the African American race struggles in America compared to white people and even some other minorities. They were enslaved, prevented from owning property, prevented from learning to read, and not treated as humans. All this happened less than 200 years ago. So white landowners and white society was able to build itself up on the backs of free labor.

When I say on the hook, I am not necessarily referring to guilt on behalf of the individual, but society is responsible for slavery and the failures to elevate the African American race to where the white race was and now is.

It is easy to brush off bruthaman as a fly, but he does provide some value and a lot of his frustrations with society hold some water. Sure he can be a little shit, but everyone on here is a hack to begin with.

Originally Posted by Sooner Showtime View Post
    Are you saying that because slaves were black, whites are on the hook?
    This is a good example of a dumb post.

vCash

No. We're saying that if you're going to blame someone for the after effects of slavery blame everyone involved. Not just a select few to fit some sort of agenda.

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    No. We're saying that if you're going to blame someone for the after effects of slavery blame everyone involved. Not just a select few to fit some sort of agenda.
    That is fine and dandy. But to act like a sizeable portion of slave owners were black in the south is intellectually dishonest. Sure there were black slave owners and traders, but were they even close to the average rather than just a statistical abnormality?

vCash

That is fine and dandy. But to act like a sizeable portion of slave owners were black in the south is intellectually dishonest. Sure there were black slave owners and traders, but were they even close to the average rather than just a statistical abnormality?
    Why does the overall number matter in this case and not in other topics? Why does statistical significance suddenly matter?

The point is that in the vast majority of discussions about slavery the fact that whites weren't the only ones who owned slaves (blacks and native americans did too) seems to get lost. Implying that their role had no influence on anything.

That is intellectually dishonest.
    The following users like this post: Gonzo

There weren't a large percentage of white people that owned slaves either. Blaming the many for the sins of the few is dishonest as well. I fact, post Civil War, those that owned slaves were harshly punished.

Of slave owners, what was the racial majority? And even then common folks held black people in such low regard. They continued to vote for politicians who refused to acknowledge a man's rights, and proudly went to war over it.

Care to explain how slave owners were harshly punished?

vCash

There weren't a large percentage of white people that owned slaves either. Blaming the many for the sins of the few is dishonest as well. I fact, post Civil War, those that owned slaves were harshly punished.
    Whatever, next you'll probably tell me a whole bunch of white people died defending the rights of their black brothers.
    2 users like smot poker's post: greensooner, oucub23

vCash

This is a good example of a dumb post.
    Absolutely, but the underlying context of the post was to reflect the stupidity of the question you posed. You asked something that no one was trying to answer or infer to. Of course white slave owners aren't "off the hook" because other races owned or sold them; fortunately they're all dead.

Of slave owners, what was the racial majority? And even then common folks held black people in such low regard. They continued to vote for politicians who refused to acknowledge a man's rights, and proudly went to war over it.

Care to explain how slave owners were harshly punished?
    The Civil War and Reconstruction are a couple of examples.

The Civil War and Reconstruction are a couple of examples.
    Reconstruction didn't go far enough, and was hamstrung from the onset. And the civil war was punishment? That is a huge load of malarkey. This is you buying into the conservative rewrite of history.

Reconstruction didn't go far enough, and was hamstrung from the onset. And the civil war was punishment? That is a huge load of malarkey. This is you buying into the conservative rewrite of history.
    You don't see the Civil War as a bad thing for the South? Umm, I don't really know how to respond to that. You say Reconstruction didn't go far enough--I believe Reconstruction was more responsible for the poor race relations of the next 100 years than anything else. Had Lincoln's plans seen fruition, the South would have been vastly different, and the hatred would not have manifested or been stoked in the way it was.