The assistant coaches possibilities thread?

Posted 633 day(s) ago by OU48A52770 Views 836 Replies
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 13
    Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    The difference between the bad defense of 2011 and the bad defense of 2012 is that the 2012 defense didn't have Frank Alexander, Ronnell Lewis and Travis Lewis. OU would have lost even more games this past season if Venables was still around including losing to Texas Tech once again in Lubbock since he would have stuck with his nickel package and continued to watch Tom Wort get roasted over and over.

OU had the best pass defense in the Big 12 under Mike Stoops this past season Giving up under 200 passing yards per game in conference play is incredible even when factoring in the failures in the rushing defense, which was solely an issue of personnel capability.

And yes, it was his fault for leaving OU in a mess from a talent standpoint on the defensive side of the ball. And fortunately, a lot of dead weight is gone up front that was under his guidance the previous 3 years.
    i see your point but you can look at it both ways ... mike got the benefit of a more experienced backfield (CB and Safeties), lewis played at less than 90 percent the whole season and cory/wort had one more year experience so LB's are a wash. DL talent went down but here's the difference ... never ever ever did brents defense miss as many tackles as we did this year. so so many of the big plays we gave up was due to bad angles and arm tackling ... isn't that on the coaches?

Originally Posted by Vodnik View Post
    Mike had his share of baggage too. I think Boren and Joe C give Stoops a free hand in hiring.
    Mike's baggage wasn't player abuse. Mangino doesn't have the cult following like Mike Leach to mitigate the PR damage, either. Every team recruiting against us on the O-line will bring that up.

Re: The assistant coaches possibility’s thread?

Originally Posted by Camel at Sea View Post
    Mike's baggage wasn't player abuse. Mangino doesn't have the cult following like Mike Leach to mitigate the PR damage, either. Every team recruiting against us on the O-line will bring that up.
    **** players is all it was.

Originally Posted by Sooner 4 Life View Post

Yeah, that player was a **** for getting second degree burns on his hands from Mangino's punishment! What a ****! Right? Just keep up with your "These kids were pussies" argument, but when a kid is wanting to confide in his coach that his dad is an alcoholic, it's pretty shitty when that coach mentions it in front of the entire team. Sure, Mike had his baggage, but Mangino is on a completely different level. It'd be a complete disaster if we brought Mangino back.
    3 users like DHF's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, oorah_okie, SECsooner

Originally Posted by Sooner 4 Life View Post
    Just think, in 3 years you'll be eligible to get a driver's license!
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

Originally Posted by Balko View Post
    Just think, in 3 years you'll be eligible to get a driver's license!
    That hurt my feelings. You should be fired from your job.

Originally Posted by DHF View Post
    Yeah, that player was a **** for getting second degree burns on his hands from Mangino's punishment! What a ****! Right? Just keep up with your "These kids were pussies" argument, but when a kid is wanting to confide in his coach that his dad is an alcoholic, it's pretty shitty when that coach mentions it in front of the entire team. Sure, Mike had his baggage, but Mangino is on a completely different level. It'd be a complete disaster if we brought Mangino back.
    S4L reeks of a sock account.

Two sides to every story. If the hand story is true, then that's terrible. The story about the alcoholic dad, who cares. I said earlier I don't want mangino back. But if it gets rid of Patton so be it.

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    S4L reeks of a sock account.

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    i see your point but you can look at it both ways ... mike got the benefit of a more experienced backfield (CB and Safeties), lewis played at less than 90 percent the whole season and cory/wort had one more year experience so LB's are a wash. DL talent went down but here's the difference ... never ever ever did brents defense miss as many tackles as we did this year. so so many of the big plays we gave up was due to bad angles and arm tackling ... isn't that on the coaches?
    I want you to provide data.
    The following users like this post: cccasooner2

Most of the defensive backfield were already juniors during Brent Venables final year at Oklahoma. There is very little improvement from a junior year to senior year. Yes, OU's defense did miss a bunch of tackles and that is on the coaches, but OU only lost one game this season because of the defense and that was the ATM game, but the offense was just as guilty in that game. In Brent Venables final season, Brent's defenses contributed to all of the losses. And that is just talking about that year alone.

I just think that OU has a brighter future with Mike because of the play of the Sooner secondary this year. They were physical and got away with a lot of pass inteference (that's a good thing). Sure, they missed some tackles, but most of the missed tackles occurred up front and the secondary should be responsible for making tackles on every down if the Sooner defensive front is doing their job.

If Oklahoma can shore up the defensive front, they should be solid against the run again and you throw that in with what is immensely improved defensive backfield play and I think Oklahoma will be back to playing championship level defense again. If the secondary can manage to only give up 197 passing yards per game in Big 12 play while playing with a non-existent Sooner defensive front, imagine what they can do with the Sooner defensive front is doing their job up front. OU's defensive front was so bad this season, they couldn't even fill the role of absorbing blocks. Bad stuff.
    3 users like zcaa0g's post: boomermagic, DirtySouth_Sooner, thurman murman

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    @DeanBlevins
    Sources lead me 2 believe #sooners will make 2 coaching changes. M Rodgers tells me Mangino "done" at OL. I can't confirm. D change likely 2
    Doubt it is Dean giving Rodgers credit more like Dean putting Rodgers name out there in case it doesnt happen.
    2 users like ousoonerpip's post: BernieMadoff, BKSOONERS

For all the Venables haters: so I can put it on my calendar, at what point does Mike stop getting a free ride for the condition Venables left the defense in?
    The following users like this post: ousooner_4

I don't understand all the anger about Mangino possibly coming back? The guy can coach and proved it at Kansas.

People want to point at his overall record at KU as proof he can't coach, but those people have no clue what he inherited in Lawrence when he took the job. I know several KU alums and none of them liked the hire when Mangino was hired, but all of them did not like the fact he was fired. The fact is, he beat MU almost every year, which is big to KU fans, he beat Snyder and KSU a few times before Snyder retired, he beat Nebraska 2 or 3 times in a row, and he won his bowl games. KU fans for the most part loved him as a coach. They weren't proud of his physical appearance, but they thought the guy could coach and his teams were disciplined.

His last year wasn't good but that's not the reason he was fired. He was fired because Lew Perkins railroaded him. As many players that complained that he was abusive, a larger number said it was all blown out of proportion.

As for his last season in Norman, does anyone remember the reason our offense struggled is because we had 1 healthy QB who played with broken ribs and our OL had been decimated by the end of the season?
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

Originally Posted by OldSooner View Post
    For all the Venables haters: so I can put it on my calendar, at what point does Mike stop getting a free ride for the condition Venables left the defense in?
    Well considering during Brents reign(2004-11) OU had 1 top 10 defense. And he got that top 10 finish in 2010. So 4 years for Mike is not asking to much I would think.

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    I want you to provide data.
    pink did you watch the games this year or just check box scores ... score board this year is data ... i graduated in finance not MIS. if you want hard data, find it yourself. i just post on what passes as the "eyeball" test.

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle View Post
    I don't understand all the anger about Mangino possibly coming back? The guy can coach and proved it at Kansas.

People want to point at his overall record at KU as proof he can't coach, but those people have no clue what he inherited in Lawrence when he took the job. I know several KU alums and none of them liked the hire when Mangino was hired, but all of them did not like the fact he was fired. The fact is, he beat MU almost every year, which is big to KU fans, he beat Snyder and KSU a few times before Snyder retired, he beat Nebraska 2 or 3 times in a row, and he won his bowl games. KU fans for the most part loved him as a coach. They weren't proud of his physical appearance, but they thought the guy could coach and his teams were disciplined.

His last year wasn't good but that's not the reason he was fired. He was fired because Lew Perkins railroaded him. As many players that complained that he was abusive, a larger number said it was all blown out of proportion.

As for his last season in Norman, does anyone remember the reason our offense struggled is because we had 1 healthy QB who played with broken ribs and our OL had been decimated by the end of the season?
    This might all be true but that doesn't mean the player abuse scandal won't hurt the program on the recruiting trail. There are a lot of good O-line coaches out there. I don't understand why we'd add a guy with so much negative baggage.
    The following users like this post: OU812

This might all be true but that doesn't mean the player abuse scandal won't hurt the program on the recruiting trail. There are a lot of good O-line coaches out there. I don't understand why we'd add a guy with so much negative baggage.
    Because for the money,and the number of hats the fat man can wear,they're not going to find a better deal anywhere.Say what you will about his tactics and people skills,the man can flat out coach,call/structure/build an offense and recruit his pillsbury-dough-boy-ass off. Besides, I'm sure that Bob,Joe C. and maybe even Mr. Boren had a sit-down/shut-up-one-way-conversation with him before money,and length of contract was even talked about.

Originally Posted by greenfacedman View Post
    Because for the money,and the number of hats the fat man can wear,they're not going to find a better deal anywhere.Say what you will about his tactics and people skills,the man can flat out coach,call/structure/build an offense and recruit his pillsbury-dough-boy-ass off. Besides, I'm sure that Bob,Joe C. and maybe even Mr. Boren had a sit-down/shut-up-one-way-conversation with him before money,and length of contract was even talked about.
    ever since you dropped your font size down, i've agreed with you a few more times. and this is one of those times. fat man can flat out coach; his coaching style is "in-your-face" and that's who he is. However, its up to Stoops to set his limits (that's the job of HC). I think it'd be okay (lots of talent out there other than fat man) if we get him back but Stoops has to do his part as a HC and manager his coaches.

Also, if we do get him ... we also need to get a person that is known for recruiting to offset mangino.
    3 users like DirtySouth_Sooner's post: DHF, dog-knee, lobster999

Also, if we do get him ... we also need to get a person that is known for recruiting to offset mangino.
    Exactly.

2013 (post bowl game of course for the potential smart ass comment). Seriously. OU's defensive front will be significantly improved, which have a huge impact on the 7 guys behind them.

At Oklahoma, we should be able to hire a guy who is both a good coach and a good recruiter. O-line coach at OU should be a sought-after job. On a historic perspective, OU has the best offense in the history of college football. If Mangino necessitates hiring another person to make up for his deficiencies, that seems like a bad hire to me.

I also have to wonder how hot the fire to coach is actually burning there. He's been out of the game since 2009. If he wanted to coach, couldn't he have gotten an NFL job or an O-line job at a smaller program?
    2 users like Camel at Sea's post: OU812, Sooner 4 Life

Those wanting Mangino must not want a physical run game. Mangino comes from a finess school of play. He doesn't even believe in using the big sled for drive blocking, only the two man sled for balance. He's also the one who implemented the wide gaps between linemen which opened up the rushing lanes for blisters. That's the first thing Chuck Long corrected when he took over. If u remember correctly we got sacked less after mangino left.
    Overall, he's a really good tactician, but he's not a downhill blocking scheme Guy.

Originally Posted by SECsooner View Post
    Those wanting Mangino must not want a physical run game. Mangino comes from a finess school of play. He doesn't even believe in using the big sled for drive blocking, only the two man sled for balance. He's also the one who implemented the wide gaps between linemen which opened up the rushing lanes for blisters. That's the first thing Chuck Long corrected when he took over. If u remember correctly we got sacked less after mangino left.
    Overall, he's a really good tactician, but he's not a downhill blocking scheme Guy.
    He won a bcs bowl game at ****ing Kansas. I'll take him.
    4 users like BleeOU1's post: BKSOONERS, boomermagic, dog-knee, sOUltrain65

The assistant coaches possibility’s thread?

pink did you watch the games this year or just check box scores ... score board this year is data ... i graduated in finance not MIS. if you want hard data, find it yourself. i just post on what passes as the "eyeball" test.
    Should have double major'd I suppose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Fer chrissakes!

Why do people HATE Mangino?
    I don't know unless it's because he's fat.

Originally Posted by BleeOU1 View Post
    He won a bcs bowl game at ****ing Kansas. I'll take him.
    THIS

Recruiting isn't going really well anyway.. Bob simply doesn't know what else to do, He has almost always depended on his friends and brother at OU. I would agree with hiring the fat man though..

First let me say I'm not a venables hater at all.. I think Brent is a hellova LBers coach.. Mike is just much better overall.. When ? Soon I'm sure.. Put that on your calender..

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    Most of the defensive backfield were already juniors during Brent Venables final year at Oklahoma. There is very little improvement from a junior year to senior year. Yes, OU's defense did miss a bunch of tackles and that is on the coaches, but OU only lost one game this season because of the defense and that was the ATM game, but the offense was just as guilty in that game. In Brent Venables final season, Brent's defenses contributed to all of the losses. And that is just talking about that year alone.

I just think that OU has a brighter future with Mike because of the play of the Sooner secondary this year. They were physical and got away with a lot of pass inteference (that's a good thing). Sure, they missed some tackles, but most of the missed tackles occurred up front and the secondary should be responsible for making tackles on every down if the Sooner defensive front is doing their job.

If Oklahoma can shore up the defensive front, they should be solid against the run again and you throw that in with what is immensely improved defensive backfield play and I think Oklahoma will be back to playing championship level defense again. If the secondary can manage to only give up 197 passing yards per game in Big 12 play while playing with a non-existent Sooner defensive front, imagine what they can do with the Sooner defensive front is doing their job up front. OU's defensive front was so bad this season, they couldn't even fill the role of absorbing blocks. Bad stuff.
    Pretty accurate post..

My understanding is Mangino will be hired next week..

Yeah, We need a kinder more gentler coaching staff.. GEEEEEEZZZZEEE !!

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    I don't understand why people think its a good idea to recycle coaches. Yes Mangino was a good coach. Since that time he's been in a scandal involving abuse of players, not to mention a long losing streak before being fired. Then, nobody has hired him since that episode. If he was such an awesome coach he'd be employed by now.

One of bobs biggest problems is his Peter principle/nepotism in his hiring practices. We need to hire the best possible coaches we can get and stop the bobs friends and family plan. We need new blood and fresh ideas, not the same old, same old. Stop with the "bring back 2000" ideas. Stop looking back, we need to move forward.
    I think hiring Mangino is pretty much a done deal unless someone changes their mind.. Spoke with a person I know who said it is.. No, I didn't talk to Bob, Or, Joe C., Nor their dogs or dogs cousins so maybe not..

^^ You want any change back from your "2 cents"?

Todd Monken for OC!

Originally Posted by MadMex View Post
    ^^ You want any change back from your "2 cents"?
    No, You keep it as a reminder when Mangino is hired..

Originally Posted by SECsooner View Post
    Scored our ONLY TD in the NC game via the Run when Q went in almost or maybe even entirely untouched on a run up the middle if memory serves me. Mangino was the OC.
    We have such a great power running game now we sure don't want to ruin that.. Don't you know by now Bob wants a passing offense that runs on occassion.. I'd prefer some power running but as long as Bob is at OU you can forget it..

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    No, You keep it as a reminder when Mangino is hired..
    I'm good with the idea of Mangino comming back. The fat man knows what to do with an O-Line and is probably our best option right now. I mean, anybody got any better "realistic" ideas? At this point I'm more concerned about the mystery coach #2 on defense. Need a great coach / FANTASTIC recruiter.

Bobby will hire an Oline coach who's out of work, fired for abusing players, a guy nobody else wants to hire. Meanwhile, Saban is going to hire an Oline coach. Do you think he's looking at Mangino? Lets watch how this unfolds. The contrast between these 2 hires is just one of many reasons why bama keeps winning and we keep spinning our wheels.

Does anyone remember when bob stoops was kicking everybody's ass? Does anyone think stoops can get back to that? I'm losing faith that stoops knows what to do. I know he's a good coach, but he surrounds himself with too many assistants that can't get it done. Too much dead weight. He puts his faith in the wrong assistant coaches and he doesn't seem willing to hire someone he doesn't know. He won't hire the best available coach. That is going to be his downfall.
    3 users like OU812's post: BKSOONERS, ElkRiverSooner, SECsooner

Bobby will hire an Oline coach who's out of work, fired for abusing players, a guy nobody else wants to hire. Meanwhile, Saban is going to hire an Oline coach. Do you think he's looking at Mangino? Lets watch how this unfolds. The contrast between these 2 hires is just one of many reasons why bama keeps winning and we keep spinning our wheels.

Does anyone remember when bob stoops was kicking everybody's ass? Does anyone think stoops can get back to that? I'm losing faith that stoops knows what to do. I know he's a good coach, but he surrounds himself with too many assistants that can't get it done. Too much dead weight. He puts his faith in the wrong assistant coaches and he doesn't seem willing to hire someone he doesn't know. He won't hire the best available coach. That is going to be his downfall.
    There is another half to that idea...not being able to "hire" the best OLine coach out there is only one-half of the problem,finding a top/best OLine coach available that "wants to work at OU" is a whole different story in itself.

Not saying I disagree but he did get it done with Mangino and Mike before..

It doesn't matter who Saban hires, our fans will think it's a great hire and Mangino's a bust hire.
    2 users like IndySooner's post: oorah_okie, Soonerlife

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    It doesn't matter who Saban hires, our fans will think it's a great hire and Mangino's a bust hire.
    As long as Bob's team keeps slipping and Nick's keep winning a NC i think so..
    The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life

I hope the next assistants are black, or at least related to Cale Gundy.

Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    I hope the next assistants are black, or at least related to Cale Gundy.
    WTF ?
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

Mangino did have offers and could have gotten back into coaching before now.

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    Mangino did have offers and could have gotten back into coaching before now.

Link?

Does Jackson have his Masters? Have him coach TEs.

Keith Jackson

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    Link?
    Former Kansas Jayhawks head coach Mark Mangino could return to the sidelines at Colorado, based on a report from Tom Deinhart of the Big Ten Network. According to Deinhart, Mangino and Colorado have met already and a second meeting between the two parties is in the works.
    Link

“A source close to Mark Mangino has told me that Purdue has reached out to the former Kansas coach to solicit his interest in the job.”
    Link

The reason he isn't already a head coach somewhere else probably has something to do with this:
    After an almost three-year hiatus, Mark Mangino is ready to coach football again.

Mangino thought he'd be back by now, but his wife's breast cancer diagnosis last year put career ambitions on hold.

Mary Jane Mangino's condition — which has improved; she had her final treatment a few weeks ago, and doctors are optimistic — has helped the former Kansas coach and Oklahoma offensive coordinator learn an important lesson on priorities.

“It was a no-brainer,” Mark Mangino told The Oklahoman in a telephone interview from Naples, Fla., where he and his wife live.

“My family comes before the game. It's helped me get things in perspective, too. She's joked with me, ‘Winning and losing football games isn't really a matter of life or death is it?'

“I said, ‘No, it's not. It's not.'”
    Link
    2 users like SpankyNek's post: boomermagic, sOUltrain65