The assistant coaches possibilities thread?

Posted 439 day(s) ago by OU48A51174 Views 836 Replies
Page 4 of 17 2 3 4 5 6 14
    So you guys believe he willingly turned down the HC job at Colorado and Purdue, but instead decided to take the OL job at Oklahoma a couple of months later, so he can be a subordinate to his old college QB? Doesn't make much sense to me. Neither of your sources claim he was offered a job at either university but turned it down. Gauging interest is not the same as job offer. I still haven't seen any source to back up the claim that he has been offered a coaching postion anywhere but here.

vCash

Originally Posted by lobster999 View Post
    So you guys believe he willingly turned down the HC job at Colorado and Purdue, but instead decided to take the OL job at Oklahoma a couple of months later, so he can be a subordinate to his old college QB? Doesn't make much sense to me. Neither of your sources claim he was offered a job at either university but turned it down. Gauging interest is not the same as job offer. I still haven't seen any source to back up the claim that he has been offered a coaching postion anywhere but here.
    Doesn't matter..

vCash

“A new NCAA rule specifically allows a school to employ as many folks dedicated to recruiting as it”

It’s like a player personnel department……Stoops said somthing about this in his most recent presser.....

This would be the perfect OU position for Mangino.
    You get his skills of player evaluation and identification, particularly for recruiting, without the some of the risk and baggage that would be used against OU in the recruiting wars.

This is a very interesting read about what’s wrong with Texas that includes some of the above information.
    http://www.statesman.com/news/sports...s-recru/nWKWj/

Any new info on other coaches besides Patton. Any news on kittle, kish, or Shipp?

vCash

3 users like usaosooner's post: lobster999, Nazgul, OU48A

vCash

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Is that official?

vCash

Originally Posted by MadMex View Post
    Is that official?
    No not at all just speculation/food for thought. no doubt in my mind it'll be Mangino

vCash

No not at all just speculation/food for thought. no doubt in my mind it'll be Mangino
    Did I miss something? That link is to Brad Davis... not Pat Hill.
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

vCash

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    They seem pretty damn happy about Patton...

Don't think very highly of the state of Illinois though...

Originally Posted by Warriors1994
    It would be nice to keep a few of the top instate linemen home and maybe with him he can help do that, I know Illinois is harder to sell than Oklahoma but you never know what can happen

vCash

Originally Posted by MadMex View Post
    They seem pretty damn happy about Patton...

Don't think very highly of the state of Illinois though...
    That just shows that despite what people say here, the national perception of OU being an elite program has not changed. Clemson fans were thrilled about getting Brent Veneables and Indiana fans were ecstatic about Kevin Wilson.
    2 users like oorah_okie's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, tennsooner

vCash

OU is an elite program, we were beating Notre Dame away from playing for it all, we would have had our asses kicked but none the less.

Re: The assistant coaches possibility’s thread?

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    That just shows that despite what people say here, the national perception of OU being an elite program has not changed. Clemson fans were thrilled about getting Brent Veneables and Indiana fans were ecstatic about Kevin Wilson.
    No it shows they didn't watch OU play. They said we had a GREAT OL and he was a very good recruiter. Both false
    2 users like Sooner 4 Life's post: boomermagic, Sooners2007

vCash

Originally Posted by Sooner 4 Life View Post
    No it shows they didn't watch OU play. They said we had a GREAT OL and he was a very good recruiter. Both false
    Compared to them, it was great. At least good enough to get to the Cotton Bowl.
    The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life

vCash

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    pink did you watch the games this year or just check box scores ... score board this year is data ... i graduated in finance not MIS. if you want hard data, find it yourself. i just post on what passes as the "eyeball" test.
    You said that the 2012 Sooners missed more tackles than any year under Venables. Then, you claim that "scoreboard" is data. You have the logic of a monkey. Good for you. You have a degree in Finance. So that means you can count. So use your counting degree and COUNT the number of missed tackles for the years 2004-2011 and compare those COUNTS to the number of missed tackles in 2012.

Don't use your counting monkey logic to think that I'm disagreeing with you. Idon't agree or disagree with you, but I want to you to provide data to support your statement about never as many missed tackles this year compared to any year under Venables.

vCash

Originally Posted by CrimsonRez View Post
    OU is an elite program, we were beating Notre Dame away from playing for it all, we would have had our asses kicked but none the less.
    lol wat?

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    My understanding is Mangino will be hired next week..

so, is he only going to coach the guards and centers like Patton?

vCash

Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    lol wat?
    How is that totally absurd to say? We would have lost one game and probably ranked top 4 if not top 2

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Originally Posted by CrimsonRez View Post
    How is that totally absurd to say? We would have lost one game and probably ranked top 4 if not top 2

Because no big12 team is playing for a title with 1 loss. They must be undefeated. That is the state of the conference. OU would've been the lowest rated 1 loss team on the outside looking in.

vCash

Originally Posted by puzzled View Post
    so, is he only going to coach the guards and centers like Patton?
    I really don't know in what capacity he will serve. Obviously he can coach OL and is an experienced OC as well. Hell, head coach too lol.. I would be surprised if he doesn't coach the line though.. I doubt he will be given play calling responsibilities but there has been some discussion of that I think.. My guess OL..

vCash

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    Because no big12 team is playing for a title with 1 loss. They must be undefeated. That is the state of the conference. OU would've been the lowest rated 1 loss team on the outside looking in.
    It all depends on when you lose. At that point bama is the only undefeated team. We have one early loss and that's it. I'm not trying to argue we should be in the MNC, just the fact OU hasnt fallen off the map like people are trying to make it seem like.

vCash

You are wrong in this case. We would have been in the title game this year.
    The following users like this post: CrimsonRez

We sure have fallen off if the bowls are any indication.

We got rolled by the Aggies and the two teams that beat us this regular season both got punksd in their bowls.

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    If our only loss was ND then Bama and ND would still played in championship game. SEC will trump any other team with the same number of losses

vCash

Originally Posted by LHSooner View Post
    We sure have fallen off if the bowls are any indication.

We got rolled by the Aggies and the two teams that beat us this regular season both got punksd in their bowls.
    And the team that beat us beat the team that won the title. Football is funny that way.

vCash

Originally Posted by m40 View Post
    If our only loss was ND then Bama and ND would still played in championship game. SEC will trump any other team with the same number of losses
    Yep.
    If our only loss is KState, however, we play Bama.

I'd like to have what you're smoking, cuz you're high.

Oh wait, you're right. If OU didn't lose 2 games, if OU could play defense, if OU could consistently run the ball, if, if, if. The truth is we were closer to the Alamo bowl than the NC game.

Oh, and as far as hiring coaches goes, it's safe to assume that bob will hire old, out of work friends every time. Forget the best available coach. Whoever went to HS with bob could be the next assistant at OU.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

vCash

Originally Posted by Sooner 4 Life View Post
    can't you read ... it's the national "perception" ... perception is reality no mater what the facts are.

vCash

I'd like to have what you're smoking, cuz you're high.

Oh wait, you're right. If OU didn't lose 2 games, if OU could play defense, if OU could consistently run the ball, if, if, if. The truth is we were closer to the Alamo bowl than the NC game.

Oh, and as far as hiring coaches goes, it's safe to assume that bob will hire old, out of work friends every time. Forget the best available coach. Whoever went to HS with bob could be the next assistant at OU.
    It doesn't take a genius to figure out that we would have been in the title game if we beat ND. It doesn't require any more ifs than that.

Please show me the list of former head coaches that have won a BCS bowl that we can hire as a POSITION coach.

If Jim Tressel were being rumored as our next Special Teams coach, would you be complaining about it?

vCash

Was Tressel in Bob's wedding? Or in town the night of the wedding? If so he is on the list.

vCash

I sure a lot of offers were on stud kids that never had any interest in us in the first place but ... hell even with that, still seems pretty horrible.
    It is my understanding, from Bob Stoop's comments, that they do not recruit kids that have NO interest in OU. I'm sure, however, that its a value judgement by the coaches, just like "the best player" plays. Best player by who's standards.

can't you read ... it's the national "perception" ... perception is reality no mater what the facts are.
    No it was Illini message board fans "perception"

That would have been an embarrassment of EPIC proportions!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

vCash

Originally Posted by Sooners2007 View Post
    That would have been an embarrassment of EPIC proportions!

Probably closer than A&M, but I don't think we win, that's for sure.

I love OU but I'm not blind. You are delusional. I'm sure you think we're so very close to winning a title if only Mangino would come back to OU and bring his patented "toughness". How long will your denial last? Probably forever.

vCash

Unfortunately what is keeping us from winning big games is our brand of football. The spread no huddle with a pocket passer is a great offense to win games and some B12 championships but if you look at the teams that have really hammered us as of late are teams that run the god damn ball. Maybe if we get a QB that can run a little bit and can create good things with his legs we might be in business...OH and a defense that can tackle doesn't hurt either
    The following users like this post: Sooners2007

Hmmmmm.....

vCash

I love OU but I'm not blind. You are delusional. I'm sure you think we're so very close to winning a title if only Mangino would come back to OU and bring his patented "toughness". How long will your denial last? Probably forever.
    Wtf are you talking about?

Why is it delusional to think that the game with Bama would have been closer than the cotton bowl?

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that we would have been in the title game if we beat ND. It doesn't require any more ifs than that.

Please show me the list of former head coaches that have won a BCS bowl that we can hire as a POSITION coach.

If Jim Tressel were being rumored as our next Special Teams coach, would you be complaining about it?
    Three teams literally made their bones by beating us this past year

vCash

Murdock at Rivals is saying that Mangino coming back is not a slam dunk. The administration doesn't want him back and if he does comeback there would be some language in Bobs contract about assistants and their treatment of players

In short. We might actually be making an outside hire if the admins stick to their guns
    3 users like usaosooner's post: OU812, S00NER14, Sooners2007

The assistant coaches possibility’s thread?

Murdock at Rivals is saying that Mangino coming back is not a slam dunk. The administration doesn't want him back and if he does comeback there would be some language in Bobs contract about assistants and their treatment of players

In short. We might actually be making an outside hire if the admins stick to their guns
    I think it's best.

I'm just for getting Patton out.
    2 users like Sooner 4 Life's post: CrimsonRez, S00NER14

Preferred!

Wtf are you talking about?

Why is it delusional to think that the game with Bama would have been closer than the cotton bowl?
    I don't mean to pick a fight with a sooner fan. I disagree with your thought that we were so close to playing for it all if only...
    We can argue all day about what if. I think we have major problems at the LOS that can't be glossed over. Problems that other good teams see and exploit. A&M kicking our ass wasn't a fluke. ND punking us at home wasn't a fluke. We have major problems that need to be addressed.

vCash

Originally Posted by soonerprices View Post
    I think it's best.
    I think this is a good thing for Stoops to actually go do a talent search ... see what's out there. Maybe Mangino is the best ... maybe he's not, never know until you evaluate the field.
    The following users like this post: lobster999

The fact Stoops wants to bring back Mangino is a disappointment. It really seems like he wants to recapture the magic of a decade ago. Why is he so afraid to make the best hire he can nationally?
    3 users like SoopaSooner's post: DHF, OU812, Sooners2007

The assistant coaches possibility’s thread?

I think this is a good thing for Stoops to actually go do a talent search ... see what's out there. Maybe Mangino is the best ... maybe he's not, never know until you evaluate the field.
    I agree with you but if Magino is the best coach does that still make him the best candidate? If the admin says we don't want this guy and we don't support this hire then you better hope not only he fixes the problems but that he doesn't create other problems.

vCash

The more I think about this.......
    the more I think somebody highup in OU’s admiration will advise Stoops not to hire Mangino....

vCash

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    The more I think about this.......
    the more I think somebody highup in OU’s admiration will advise Stoops not to hire Mangino....
    I can't imagine Boren or Castiglione signing off on a Mangino hire. For that matter, there are probably a bunch of our donors that would have a hard time with it, too. If Mangino got a raw deal at KU, then I feel bad for him. But if he wants to be a position coach again, there are other programs where he can get his image rehab accomplished.
    The following users like this post: OU812

vCash

Originally Posted by Camel at Sea View Post
    I can't imagine Boren or Castiglione signing off on a Mangino hire. For that matter, there are probably a bunch of our donors that would have a hard time with it, too. If Mangino got a raw deal at KU, then I feel bad for him. But if he wants to be a position coach again, there are other programs where he can get his image rehab accomplished.
    Yep…

Bringing back Mangino as an OL coach would be a high risk hire by Stoops.
    His baggage would be used against OU in the recruiting battles.
    2 users like OU48A's post: OU812, Soonerinsec