What if this were happening to you?

Posted 622 day(s) ago 786 Views 36 Replies

NewsOK What if this were happening to you?

Someone owes this guy an explanation. What if this were happening to you? "Sorry, you can't fly". "Why not?" "Because your name is on this list."

Freedom is an illusion.

A McAlester native who lives in the Middle East was prevented from returning there Wednesday.
    Saadiq Long, a U.S. Air Force veteran, said he tried to check in for his flight to Qatar on Wednesday at Will Rogers World Airport but was told by a representative of the Transportation Security Administration that he was not cleared to board.

Long said the TSA official told him it was a matter of national security and that he should contact the FBI to straighten out the matter.
    Long had been on the government's “no-fly” list and prevented from entering the U.S. from Qatar for many months. In November, after several unsuccessful attempts, he was allowed to fly to Oklahoma to see his mother, who has congestive heart failure.
    Adam Soltani, executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, Oklahoma chapter, said he and Long do not understand why Long cannot leave the United States to return to his home in Qatar, where his wife and child are waiting, particularly because he was previously cleared to fly into the U.S.
    “He's almost back to square one,” Soltani said Wednesday. “He was cleared to fly into the country. Why won't he be allowed to fly out?”
    Soltani said a CAIR attorney contacted the FBI in Oklahoma City in late January to tell the agency that Long planned to return to Qatar on Wednesday.
    Rick Rains, spokesman for the FBI in Oklahoma City, declined to comment.
    Soltani said Council on American-Islamic Relations officials are concerned that Long's rights as a U.S. citizen are being violated.
    “CAIR's concern is that Saadiq is an American citizen and he, like any other American citizen, should not be barred from leaving or entering the country without due process of law. If there's a reason, it should be communicated properly,” Soltani said. “We can only speculate that this has something to do with his faith.”
    Long said he had to call his wife and child Wednesday to tell them he had been prevented from boarding his flight. Both were very upset, he said.
    “They are crushed. It's been 2½ months,” he said.
    Long said his mother also is extremely upset by the situation.
    He said his job teaching English in Qatar allowed him to use his maximum 30 days of paid vacation to visit his ailing mother in McAlester. He said his paid vacation time ran out about six weeks ago, so he needs to get back to Qatar to continue to earn a living.
    “It was an emotional hardship and now it is an economic hardship,” Long said of his thwarted efforts to return to home. “I can't believe this is happening.”
    He said he plans to book another flight and attempt once again to return to Qatar.
    Soltani said CAIR officials will continue to help Long as he seeks answers from the government about the reasons he is being prevented from returning to the Middle East.
    “Our hope is that by supporting him, we'll be able to get him back,” Soltani said.

http://newsok.com/muslim-man-in-okla...rticle/3752627

Re: What if this were happening to you?

All in the guise of keeping us safe from the big bad boogie man. It doesn't even matter if he wins a lawsuit because it isn't the governments money that they will have to payout.
    4 users like Fahooglegods's post: Aurora, DHF, Jenn and tonic, SiggyPoke

Its a free country yall! We have freedoms and such. Did I say Freedom?

Unless your name is Mohammed, Saadiq, Aslam, Rafiq, Imran, Ahmed and so on....

In the future most people will have to limit their kids to John, Mark, Todd, Cindy, Mindy, Wendy, Jim, Amber. If your name has more than two syllables, sorry you cannot fly, get a licence or own a business without scrutiny of an inmate.

'Merica . . . you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.
    The following users like this post: URNotserious

SoonerBounce Guest
    meh

Back-to-Back World Champs Baby!!!

WWI, WWII...'murica

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    meh
    I guess "Support our troops" is just a bumper sticker to you.

this is happening to all of us....
    we're all treated like terrorists when we fly....

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    this is happening to all of us....
    we're all treated like terrorists when we fly....
    i have never been treated like a terrorist

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by URNotserious View Post
    I guess "Support our troops" is just a bumper sticker to you.
    When you have millions on people in the world, shit like this is going to happen.

Let me guess, you are a person that in one thread will say it's bs that we don't profile at airports. But in another thread, like this, will get upset and say its unamerican to profile like this instance.

SoonerBounce Guest
    Saadiq Long
    and really? Not a mention of this yet?

When you have millions on people in the world, shit like this is going to happen.

Let me guess, you are a person that in one thread will say it's bs that we don't profile at airports. But in another thread, like this, will get upset and say its unamerican to profile like this instance.
    Wrong on both counts, but that isnt new or an anomaly. It isnt the fact that this has happened that surprises me, its your "who gives a ****" attitude. Careless enough to take the trouble only to type "meh".

SoonerBounce Guest

Wrong on both counts, but that isnt new or an anomaly. It isnt the fact that this has happened that surprises me, its your "who gives a ****" attitude. Careless enough to take the trouble only to type "meh".
    Yep you got me. My typing meh in a message board is horrible

He is mad he is on the no fly list so he gets terrorist supporting cair to advocate for him.
    Cant make this shit up.

Originally Posted by lokifz1 View Post
    He is mad he is on the no fly list so he gets terrorist supporting cair to advocate for him.
    Cant make this shit up.
    There are allegations that they might be linked to Hamas. Hamas by definition of many Americans isn't a terrorist group. http://www.landthieves.com/board/sho...history-of-Man. Not to hijack the thread but, is there another link to terrorism that I am unaware of?

Lol many Americans would have no clue who Hamas was.

Cair supports Hamas. Hamas targets civilians. Hamas is a terrorist organistion. Members of cair and Hamas are terrorists

Just because you want them to be some noble group standing up to Israel does not make it so.

Cair supports Hamas. Hamas targets civilians. Hamas is a terrorist organistion. Members of cair and Hamas are terrorists

Just because you want them to be some noble group standing up to Israel does not make it so.
    So are you saying this guy, Saadiq Long, is suspected of being a member of Hamas? If that is the case, then document the basis for the accusation and let him defend himself against those allegations.

But they're not even doing that. They're just saying "Your name is on a list. We're not going to tell you why. You can't fly today."

Supposedly in this country we have a right to face our accusers and defend ourselves. But if we don't even know what we are being accused of, how can we defend ourselves? If you or I had an Arabic name this same thing could happen to us.

i have never been treated like a terrorist
    Have you flown at all since 9/11? If so, then you've been treated as a suspected terrorist. You may not have realized it, but you were.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Have you flown at all since 9/11? If so, then you've been treated as a suspected terrorist. You may not have realized it, but you were.
    Yep. Flying on 2/8/2013 is entirely more of a pain than it was on 9/10/01.

It isnt as simple as A=B and B=C so A=C. Especially when the definition of A, B and C differs from person to person based on perspective. A soldier of the thirteen American colonies in 1775 is a freedom fighter to you and me but is an insurgent to the Queen and Queen's England.

Just because a group does not fall in line with your radical and ridiculous religious beliefs does not make it a terrorist organization.

SoonerBounce Guest
    i've flown numerous times. I've never been treated like suspected terrorist

You never had your carry on xrayed?

You think they do that because they think it might have a broken bone?

Yes you have. You just didn't realize it.

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    You never had your carry on xrayed?

You think they do that because they think it might have a broken bone?
    Carry ons were xrayed before 9/11.

I have never been treated like a suspected terrorist.

Carry ons were xrayed before 9/11.

I have never been treated like a suspected terrorist.
    Then you have never flown.
    2 users like SpankyNek's post: DHF, oucub23

SoonerBounce Guest
    Yes you have. You just didn't realize it.

If taking precautions is treating everyone like a terrorist, then sure I have. But so have you at nearly every public place you go (searches, pat downs, video survellience )

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Then you have never flown.
    first flew in the 90s. Then actually flew about a month after 9/11. have flown to atlanta, memphis, new york twice, philly, new jersey, minnesota, dallas and I'm sure some other places.

If taking precautions is treating everyone like a terrorist, then sure I have. But so have you at nearly every public place you go (searches, pat downs, video survellience )
    I get it, it just went over your head....you're excused.
    The following users like this post: bushmaster06

He was cleared to fly into the country, why is all the sudden back on the list? The whole No Fly List is scary, anybody could be put on it for any reason and it is a major pain to get your name off it. You cannot face your accusers, told why you are on the list,l or get notified that you are on the list beforehand.

SoonerBounce Guest

Originally Posted by goldzim View Post
    He was cleared to fly into the country, why is all the sudden back on the list? The whole No Fly List is scary, anybody could be put on it for any reason and it is a major pain to get your name off it. You cannot face your accusers, told why you are on the list,l or get notified that you are on the list beforehand.
    It was prob a mistake to clear him the first time

Some guy got fired for putting his ex wife on a no fly list if i recall correctly

I wonder if Mexico uses the same list. If not, he could go to Tijuana, fly to Mexico City and then to Europe.

It isnt as simple as A=B and B=C so A=C. Especially when the definition of A, B and C differs from person to person based on perspective. A soldier of the thirteen American colonies in 1775 is a freedom fighter to you and me but is an insurgent to the Queen and Queen's England.

Just because a group does not fall in line with your radical and ridiculous religious beliefs does not make it a terrorist organization.
    That's funny since you do not know me or my religious beliefs.

Just because you are bigot about religion does not make hamas and cair noble.

The American continental army did not target civilians and while they could accurately be described by the crown as insurgents they were not terrorists.

keep in mind bounce likes receiving short-arm inspections.

Americans might know who they were if they were on Idol, The Bachelor, or maybe Swamp People. You have to get your priorities in order.

It was prob a mistake to clear him the first time
    Or the mistake was being put on it the first time or this new time after he was off it. That's the problem with the No Fly List nobody knows why or when they are on it.

I guess america is safer if he stays here