Calling all recruiting geniuses . . . . .

Posted 682 day(s) ago 3509 Views 102 Replies
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

on a scale of 1-10 how did our class compare to other elite schools (Alabama, LSU, USC, Texas, etc.) that usually have top recruiting classes?

I don't know shit about recruiting, other than ours has been suffering for the past few years.

Yes, I know there is a specific thread about recruiting but wading through 20 pages doesn't answer the question I pose.

So how did we do in your opinion? No, I won't use this thread to belittle you if we continue to suck ass on defense, just want your honest, non-rose colored glasses opinion.

Of the schools listed: Worse than Bama,LSU,USC

Better than: Texas
    The following users like this post: MoJoOkie

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post

This. But way worse than Bama and LSU.

Originally Posted by sovasooner View Post
    This. But way worse than Bama and LSU.
    Exactly.

I'm not a recruiting genius.

We had the best class in the Big XII, but well down from the top SEC schools and ND.

It is not a bad class, but it will take a while to see how some of these players develop.

We do have a number of under-valued players, such as Matt Dimon (some say was the best D player in texas) and Charles Walker (had the best senior year of ANY DT in texas).

Players I think will be stars for OU: Quincy Russell, Dimon, Hatari Byrd, & Stanvon Taylor on defense. Keith Ford, Dannon Cavil, and Dionte Savage on offense.

ESPN says 16 and I'd say that is a little low. I'd put us at 12 and Tulsa at 11. OSU really sucked at 44 in my estimation. LOL

The frustration is not about the guys we got, they can all be great players and there is a lot to be excited about. The frustration is about how many guys we offered and whiffed on, especially in the areas of need.
    The following users like this post: Dr Sleep

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    The frustration is not about the guys we got, they can all be great players and there is a lot to be excited about. The frustration is about how many guys we offered and whiffed on, especially in the areas of need.
    The SEC is the rage now. That will pass, but not next year.

We will get more OL in next year's class. Same with LBers, much better year for LBers.

Much better year next year for instate players.

I would not trade our class straight up with USC since they only signed 12 players. I would love to have Bama and LSU's front 7 guys on D, obviously. **** texas
    The following users like this post: MoJoOkie

Well said.

My opinion (no 'recruiting genius'); on whole, not overly big, not overly fast, not overly mature, and not highly-recruited. We did get a few stars for sure. A few great players, but no great, great players. I'd say as good as last year, not quite as good as Stills and Jefferson's class. I'm glad we have Schmitty because we'll need him to get these guys bigger stronger and faster in a hurry. Would have liked to see one or two more JUCOs for some immediate help, especially on defense.

Overall, can't complain a lot, really.

Originally Posted by SoonerDick View Post
    ESPN says 16 and I'd say that is a little low. I'd put us at 12 and Tulsa at 11. OSU really sucked at 44 in my estimation. LOL
    You have Oklahoma right.

In the ballpark with OSU...

Tulsa? You're ****ing senile.
    2 users like AcousticSoup's post: Orange is ugly, StiffArmTrophy

Originally Posted by SoonerDick View Post
    Tulsa at ****ing 11 is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Tulsa is around 71 not 11 on Rivals I believe better check that.
    The following users like this post: StiffArmTrophy

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    Tulsa is around 71 not 11 on Rivals I believe better check that.
    It's the Soonerdick ratings though. That's the only thing that matters.

I think SoonerDick should start his own recruiting service.

I'd read his player evaluations.
    3 users like thurman murman's post: oorah_okie, StiffArmTrophy, Wailer

Originally Posted by thurman murman View Post
    I think SoonerDick should start his own recruiting service.

I'd read his player evaluations.
    "Tulsa will win 4 straight MNCs with this class, it's the greatest of all time." (Soonerdick,2013)
    2 users like StiffArmTrophy's post: 85sooners, thurman murman

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    I'm not a recruiting genius.

We had the best class in the Big XII, but well down from the top SEC schools and ND.

It is not a bad class, but it will take a while to see how some of these players develop.

We do have a number of under-valued players, such as Matt Dimon (some say was the best D player in texas) and Charles Walker (had the best senior year of ANY DT in texas).

Players I think will be stars for OU: Quincy Russell, Dimon, Hatari Byrd, & Stanvon Taylor on defense. Keith Ford, Dannon Cavil, and Dionte Savage on offense.
    trust me on this sooner 76 ... compared to us idiots on here (minus usa and a small hand full of others) your about as recruiting genius as it gets.

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post

This. Bama, LSU & even USC who's on sanctions out recruited us. Bama is on another planet and the only two options I see bringing them down:
    1. NCAA
    2. Saban leaving

Look out for tOSU.

Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    The SEC is the rage now. That will pass, but not next year.

We will get more OL in next year's class. Same with LBers, much better year for LBers.

Much better year next year for instate players.
    Let me know when it passes. It's been a loooong 5-7 years of the SEC winning it all. And it all starts with recruiting & superior coaching.

Originally Posted by Lehmanfan View Post
    Let me know when it passes. It's been a loooong 5-7 years of the SEC winning it all. And it all starts with recruiting & superior coaching.
    And a little bit of cash in Cam's case.

And they, along with ND, have all the media hyping 24/7 right now, pushing the votes to get SEC team(s) into the NC game.

You need no better example of that than last year, with Bama getting to the game instead of OSU.

And a little bit of cash in Cam's case.
    He covered that with "recruiting". That's just how they do it in the $EC.

This. Bama, LSU & even USC who's on sanctions out recruited us. Bama is on another planet and the only two options I see bringing them down:
    1. NCAA
    2. Saban leaving

Look out for tOSU.
    How you figure? They signed 12 guys. You do that each year and you have a shit ton of walk ons.

Anyone wanna talk Romero osby into playing football. 6-8 232 TE

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    How you figure? They signed 12 guys. You do that each year and you have a shit ton of walk ons.
    I think the max they could sign this year was 15, and they got 12 (13 if you count a 4* WR that originally signed in '12 but wasn't cleared by the NCAA, so he signed a new LOI in '13) with five 5* and seven 4*. Six of their 12 players are already enrolled, including four of the five 5* players.
    I believe next year will be the last class they're limited to signing 15 players, and I read because of counting back and signing fewer than allowed they'll have 20 slots for the 2014 class, as long as that number doesn't push them beyond 75 max scholarship players.

2, 3, 7, 6.
    5, 6, 7, 8!

I think there is a really strong argument to be made that our class was better than USCs.

I definitely wouldn't trade the position their overall program is at with where OUs program is.

Originally Posted by Hang Half a Hundred View Post
    I think there is a really strong argument to be made that our class was better than USCs.

I definitely wouldn't trade the position their overall program is at with where OUs program is.
    I would love to hear this.

Originally Posted by Boomer60 View Post
    Anyone wanna talk Romero osby into playing football. 6-8 232 TE
    I thought this was the route Taylor Griffin should have gone. He's not making any real money in basketball and would be a monster at TE.

Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    I don't really see how it is that far fetched. They have zero room for attrition of any kind: injuries (look at last year), grades, or just general kid dumbassery.

They had 3 TOTAL lineman in their class and didn't really fill any positions of need besides DB. Everyone here would be shitting bricks if that happened here, regardless of how highly touted they are. Despite the fact I would stick my dick in Rosie O'Donnell for Su'a Cravens, I would much rather be able to field a proper team if injuries happen. Their class couldn't even field a 7 on 7 team.

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    5, 6, 7, 8!
    I'm not sure how you rank 2 things on a scale of 1-10 but I gave it a shot.

Originally Posted by arklahoman41 View Post
    I think the max they could sign this year was 15, and they got 12 (13 if you count a 4* WR that originally signed in '12 but wasn't cleared by the NCAA, so he signed a new LOI in '13) with five 5* and seven 4*. Six of their 12 players are already enrolled, including four of the five 5* players.
    I believe next year will be the last class they're limited to signing 15 players, and I read because of counting back and signing fewer than allowed they'll have 20 slots for the 2014 class, as long as that number doesn't push them beyond 75 max scholarship players.
    Several players bailed on them. I really don't know, or care, how many they could have signed. But class size has to figure into it. If OU signed 1 5* and no other player, would they have had the best class? Their average per player would have been the highest.

Rivals has us ranked at 15. The soonerscoop guys re-ranked the OU recruits as how they saw them, and added some stars to certain guys. Dionte Savage is listed as a 2* Juco guard but was raised to a 3* because there isn't a ton of film on Jucos like there is HS players. Dannon Cavil was also pushed up to a 4* as was one of the D-Tackles. Walker I think? Huggins was already a 4* so that gave us two 4* HS DT on top of Quincey Russell. I would guess the star additions would jump us from 15 to just outside of the top 10, with A$M and UCLA.

The reason, according to the scoop guys, some of our guys weren't as highly rated varied. Some were injured a lot of their JR years so they didn't have that much tape when the rankings were made. I think that's what happened with Walker and Cavil. Walker also didn't do the Football Camp rounds so not too many people knew about him. This is the reason why rankings are bull shit anyway. They are to be used as a guideline. Go on rivals sometime and look at the past years recruiting rankings, top 100 or 150 or whatever and tell me how many of those guys you have ever heard of. I consider myself a pretty big college football fan, not just OU but all of college football and I recognize about 30 names out of the top 100-150. That's a poor ratio of college football stars that come out of the, supposed top 100 high school players.

Also, D. Alexander was bumped to a 4* according to those who watched him play.

Added the 2010 list for giggles. No K.Stills but look at the #34 player.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecr...rivals100/2010
    The following users like this post: Sooner 76

Last edited by srburkhart; February 8th, 2013 at 12:45 PM.

It would be nice to have the in state talent of an Alabama, Florida, LSU, Texas, SC, tOSU, etc. OU doesn't have 8-10 highly rated in state kids to build every class on. I think OU can do better on the recruiting trail, but OU lacks the in state advantages of many of the better recruiting programs.

Bama has 8 in state players committed. Two are 5*, five are 4* and one is a 3*.

LSU has 12 in state commits. One 5*, seven 4* and four 3*.

UF has 15 in state commits. One 5*, eleven 4*, two 3* and a 2* kicker.

All but two of UT's commits are from Texas.

Six if USC's 12 commits are from Cali. One 5* and five 4*.

Ohio State has 10 in state kids. Five each 4* and 3*.
    2 users like eddyjizza's post: MoJoOkie, srburkhart

What RockFlag and srburk said.

Say 75% of that class turn into productive players, that is 8 productive kids in a class. Cravens, Browne, McQuay, Hutchings, Bigelow, Issac and both Olineman have a pretty good chance of leaving after their JR/RS SO years if they turn out how they "should" according to the rankings.

Where does that leave a program? That is what is important in a recruiting class, what they do for the program. Not what percentage play in the NFL.

Schooner Keith Ford

Really excited about this kid. Big strong upper body to power through gaps and break one loose. #2 out of TX I think ? Good recruit.

If Bama's class is considered a 10, OU's class is an 8.

Looking forward to Cody Thomas' development. Sam Bradford type......lotsa passing yards per game.......especially with the receivers he'll inherit. Big gun...All Over The Field !!

I really like Bell as a dual threat next year. Think we're gonna do alot better than most people think, 'course I say that every year, but Colin Klein & Johnny Maziel made me a believer in dual threat QB's and it's potential and headaches for defenses.

Lane Kiffin.

Quality, not quantity.

Quality, not quantity.
    You should tell that to ESPN...they had Ole Miss 5th.

Quality, not quantity.
    you need both ... texas signs 15 dudes ... with attrition being around 60% plus for a 4 year student, they are looking at a senior class in 4 years with 7 or less people. then subtract the guys that don't start. going into a season with 4 starting seniors returning is NOT a good thing.

Originally Posted by Whiskey&Pills View Post
    Really excited about this kid. Big strong upper body to power through gaps and break one loose. #2 out of TX I think ? Good recruit.
    With Alex Ross, Keith Ford, and probably Nate Starks, OU will rotate 3 ridiculous RBs at people in 2014.
    The following users like this post: srburkhart

Originally Posted by Hang Half a Hundred View Post
    I don't really see how it is that far fetched. They have zero room for attrition of any kind: injuries (look at last year), grades, or just general kid dumbassery.

They had 3 TOTAL lineman in their class and didn't really fill any positions of need besides DB. Everyone here would be shitting bricks if that happened here, regardless of how highly touted they are. Despite the fact I would stick my dick in Rosie O'Donnell for Su'a Cravens, I would much rather be able to field a proper team if injuries happen. Their class couldn't even field a 7 on 7 team.
    Don't look now, but neither do we...and we're allowed to recruit whole classes.

Originally Posted by StiffArmTrophy View Post
    "Tulsa will win 4 straight MNCs with this class, it's the greatest of all time." (Soonerdick,2013)
    I'm betting the house on this

Don't look now, but neither do we...and we're allowed to recruit whole classes.
    Um, we have had as much or more attrition than anyone and have still managed to win 10 games/year...

USC had like 3 or 4 injuries last year and went from the #1 ranked team in the country to 7-5. That is a massive difference.

Obviously no team, save Alabama, can have any irregular amount of attrition and compete for a championship. But we also aren't 2 injuries away from going 7-5.
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

Aaron Colvin and Frank Shannon. Lose those two and you are looking at 7-5 being generous.