Article On Kish's Recruiting

Posted 632 day(s) ago by Burglekutt3580 Views 78 Replies
Results 51 to 79 of 79
Page 2 of 2 1 2
  1. #51
    Dom Whaley, end of argument. 2 higher recruited guys left the team because of him. Playing an upper classman is not "insane loyalty." If a coach trusts a player more than a freshman so be it.

  2. #52
    Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    And they would say "Wow, Bob Stoops noticed me." Also. Like I said, Bama only signed 15 of those. Where did the other 35 go? Lots of kids turned down Alabama to stay close to home, or play for someone else, or avoid pressure of winning and performing, whatever the reason. OU is one of those schools in the minds of everyone but OU fans.
    Yes Verizon even has a commercial about it.....Hello

  3. #53
    Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    And they would say "Wow, Bob Stoops noticed me." Also. Like I said, Bama only signed 15 of those. Where did the other 35 go? Lots of kids turned down Alabama to stay close to home, or play for someone else, or avoid pressure of winning and performing, whatever the reason. OU is one of those schools in the minds of everyone but OU fans.
    There is a list on ESPN if you really want to know where those other 35 went. It was not to OU.

  4. #54
    Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    Well, obviously I don't know. But the fact that we got our asses handed to us by the likes of Bama, LSU, etc. and got ZERO of those kids tells me something.
    I didn't think we would do any better than we did.. Did you ?

  5. #55

    Article On Kish's Recruiting

    Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    i'm not here to bash Kish ... just the article was stupid.
    Yeah, it's almost like the guy walked into the office one morning and said, "I'm going to write a positive article on Kish" and it didn't matter what the content ended up being.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk H
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner


  6. #56
    drumhead23us's Avatar
    Posts
    9,619
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tornado Alley

    Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    Dom Whaley, end of argument. 2 higher recruited guys left the team because of him. Playing an upper classman is not "insane loyalty." If a coach trusts a player more than a freshman so be it.
    if you don't call starting Tom Wort over Frank Shannon insane I don't know what to call it.

  7. #57
    SpankyNek's Avatar
    Posts
    12,392
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston (Cypress)

    Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    if you don't call starting Tom Wort over Frank Shannon insane I don't know what to call it.
    Starting Wort over upperclassmen Jayden Bird wasn't?

    There was a reason two different d coordinators started the guy, I reckon.

  8. #58
    ab5sr's Avatar
    Posts
    4,839
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mia's hometown

    After that Fox Sports recruiting show and what he said on signing day re: recruiting, I'm done with him. Surprised it's not mentioned in this thread.

  9. #59
    Coach's Avatar
    Posts
    11,108
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Article On Kish's Recruiting

    Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    After that Fox Sports recruiting show and what he said on signing day re: recruiting, I'm done with him. Surprised it's not mentioned in this thread.
    Is it a secret?

  10. #60

    Re: Article On Kish's Recruiting

    Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    After that Fox Sports recruiting show and what he said on signing day re: recruiting, I'm done with him. Surprised it's not mentioned in this thread.
    What happened?

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

  11. #61
    Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    Well, obviously I don't know. But the fact that we got our asses handed to us by the likes of Bama, LSU, etc. and got ZERO of those kids tells me something.
    You're changing your argument...you said kids don't care if they are offered by OU anymore. Where they end up doesn't tell me if they are impressed with the OU offer. It's hip to play in the SEC right now. It will change.

  12. #62
    drumhead23us's Avatar
    Posts
    9,619
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tornado Alley

    Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    You're changing your argument...you said kids don't care if they are offered by OU anymore. Where they end up doesn't tell me if they are impressed with the OU offer. It's hip to play in the SEC right now. It will change.
    I think this discussions has pretty much run its course, but the argument isn't changing. I'm using the fact that not one of them signed with us as an indicator that none, or very few, seem to be impressed. This criteria is used because I can't be in every living room, so I don't know for sure.

    Suffice it to say...I'm pretty sure me and about a dozen other posters are just going to have to agree to disagree. I think we did a piss-poor job, they don't. C'est la vie.

  13. #63
    Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    As far as the Ford and Thomas pickups, that's great. I'm just sitting here thinking about how many flat-out busts we've had at RB in the last several years, and how many times we've signed Billy Bad-Ass QB only to have him either A) fall out of a truck or B) transfer due to lack of playing time. I worry for Thomas, because unless he's the second coming of Christ in a helmet, he'll never see the field due to Bob's insane loyalty to upperclassman players.
    Let me know when you make a post that makes even the slightest sense.

  14. #64
    Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    As far as the Ford and Thomas pickups, that's great. I'm just sitting here thinking about how many flat-out busts we've had at RB in the last several years, and how many times we've signed Billy Bad-Ass QB only to have him either A) fall out of a truck or B) transfer due to lack of playing time. I worry for Thomas, because unless he's the second coming of Christ in a helmet, he'll never see the field due to Bob's insane loyalty to upperclassman players.
    Bob's "insane loyalty to upperclassman players" didn't extend to Drew Allen.

  15. #65
    Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    I think this discussions has pretty much run its course, but the argument isn't changing. I'm using the fact that not one of them signed with us as an indicator that none, or very few, seem to be impressed. This criteria is used because I can't be in every living room, so I don't know for sure.

    Suffice it to say...I'm pretty sure me and about a dozen other posters are just going to have to agree to disagree. I think we did a piss-poor job, they don't. C'est la vie.
    None of us know how the recruits will turn out in 2 or 3 yrs. BUT, I agree with what you're saying for the most part.

  16. #66
    Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    After that Fox Sports recruiting show and what he said on signing day re: recruiting, I'm done with him. Surprised it's not mentioned in this thread.
    I'd like to know ?

  17. #67
    drumhead23us's Avatar
    Posts
    9,619
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tornado Alley

    Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    Let me know when you make a post that makes even the slightest sense.
    What part are you having trouble with? the general rule is that the majority of recruits don't amount to anything. That's why I don't get too excited about recruits. See: Brett Rawls, Tommy Grady, Keith Nichol, Joey Halzle, Drew Allen. Those are just the QBs off the top of my head.
    You're letting bias cloud your responses. If you're seriously arguing against the very basic concept that most recruits don't pan out, then you're a ****ing idiot.

  18. #68
    SoonerSapper's Avatar
    Posts
    5,159
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fort Irwin CA

    Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    What part are you having trouble with? the general rule is that the majority of recruits don't amount to anything. That's why I don't get too excited about recruits. See: Brett Rawls, Tommy Grady, Keith Nichol, Joey Halzle, Drew Allen. Those are just the QBs off the top of my head.
    You're letting bias cloud your responses. If you're seriously arguing against the very basic concept that most recruits don't pan out, then you're a ****ing idiot.
    Keith Nichol was in the QB competition at MSU after transferring, sorry he was beat out by some bum named Bradford; Drew Allen was never a highly regarded recruit. Go look at any top 100 recruit list 5 years later and you'll see that a majority never lived up to the hype.

  19. #69
    drumhead23us's Avatar
    Posts
    9,619
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tornado Alley

    That's exactly the point I'm making. Most recruits don't pan out, hence my lack of excitement. I'm not saying it's just our guys.

    It's crazy that people don't understand my want for us to have a better class. Even if the majority don't pan out, we should still want to have as many 5 star guys as possible.
    The following users like this post: boomermagic


  20. #70
    Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    That's exactly the point I'm making. Most recruits don't pan out, hence my lack of excitement. I'm not saying it's just our guys.

    It's crazy that people don't understand my want for us to have a better class. Even if the majority don't pan out, we should still want to have as many 5 star guys as possible.
    Agreed

  21. #71
    Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    What part are you having trouble with? the general rule is that the majority of recruits don't amount to anything. That's why I don't get too excited about recruits. See: Brett Rawls, Tommy Grady, Keith Nichol, Joey Halzle, Drew Allen. Those are just the QBs off the top of my head.
    You're letting bias cloud your responses. If you're seriously arguing against the very basic concept that most recruits don't pan out, then you're a ****ing idiot.
    See: Heupel, Bradford, White, Jones, Hybl. Those are just OBs off the top of my head. Until you can quote statistics by * rating and class for OU you are making an ASSumption.

  22. #72
    I won't judge the class until a couple of years from now. College football is a coaches' game. You win when you have a great staff. A great staff can bring in good players and make them winners. So we'll see what happens.

    I don't think our defensive talent was the only problem on defense. Our offensive style didn't exactly tune up the defense in the Spring and Fall practices if you know what I mean.

  23. #73
    OkieforOU's Avatar
    Posts
    2,536
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern Oklahoma

    Originally Posted by NateHeupelESQ View Post
    What I'm concerned about is that Kish will get OU in the conversation, but the conversation will end with "thanks, but no thanks." The fact is that ANYONE could've done what Kish did this year. Aside from KJ Young, the OU brand name is more responsible for OU recruiting than Kish is.
    I disagree. Look what Sumlin did at aTm this year. Look what Meyer did at OSU in one year on probation. "Great" college coaches must be great recruiters. The OU brand is gonna get a look form most kids, but without a good coach that can sell the players, it won't get very many signatures, especially if we don't get back to a BCS bowl soon.

  24. #74

    Re: Article On Kish's Recruiting

    Pipe dream of David Smith helping reel in Morgan and/or Garrett and Kish locking up Hampton

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  25. #75
    Originally Posted by OUInformant View Post
    I won't judge the class until a couple of years from now. College football is a coaches' game. You win when you have a great staff. A great staff can bring in good players and make them winners. So we'll see what happens.

    I don't think our defensive talent was the only problem on defense. Our offensive style didn't exactly tune up the defense in the Spring and Fall practices if you know what I mean.
    I agree CFB is a coaches game. That's why it sucks to have too much dead weight on the OU staff. There are many red flags on this staff and its no wonder why we keep looking like a top 20 team and not a true title contender. Our deficiencies on the coaching staff are holding us back. Mangino and all his baggage is not the answer to our problems, it's not an upgrade at all.

  26. #76
    Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    Two Words: Tom Wort. That alone should be enough. How about Kejuan starting over AD to begin the season? Are you seriously arguing that Bob Stoops doesn't have this issue?
    In otherwords you have no idea what you are talking about. In both of those examples those players got sat down for younger players.

    Kejuan "started" the first game because he was a returning senior averaging 6 yards a carry. He was a good running back, and even then he split time with AD in the first game and never started again for the rest of the season. That's the same behavior from a coach that you'd see at Alabama or anywhere else.

    Tom Wort started because Frank Shannon isn't exactly setting the world on fire and Wort knew the plays at the beginning of the year. Wort got pushed aside once Shannon got up to speed.

    Your notion that Stoops won't let underclassmen see the field is DISPROVEN by both your examples. I'm more inclined to agree with SpankyNek on this.
    2 users like OnlyOneBubbaMoses's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, ousooner_4


  27. #77
    Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    That's exactly the point I'm making. Most recruits don't pan out, hence my lack of excitement. I'm not saying it's just our guys.

    It's crazy that people don't understand my want for us to have a better class. Even if the majority don't pan out, we should still want to have as many 5 star guys as possible.

    I agree with this. 5 star guys pan out more often than 4 star guys, who pan out more often than 3 star guys and so on. Yes there are a long list of 5 star guys that didn't make it, but an even longer list of 3 star guys that didn't make it either.


    That being said, one of our highest ranked recruitting classes in the past 10 years was supposed to be 2003 and yet I'd say it was one of the biggest busts we've ever seen. 2005 was a lower star put out, but probably one of the best classes we've ever recruited with even Austin English and Jaquin Iglesias working out.

  28. #78
    Strike #1 in '14. Supposively Hampton has committed to Texas...Here we go again

  29. #79
    Originally Posted by pillmanj View Post
    Strike #1 in '14. Supposively Hampton has committed to Texas...Here we go again
    Don't worry I am sure Kim Tush will get him back! Make you wonder why Norvell was recruiting him instead of the great Tush! Or our great new DC.

Similar Threads

  1. Linebacker recruiting.... ATTN Coach Kish
    By usaosooner in forum Recruiting
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: September 1st, 2013, 05:00 PM
  2. Tim Kish and Recruiting
    By plk1214 in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: March 7th, 2013, 08:08 AM
  3. Bit of a discouraging recruiting article on Rivals.
    By melbitoast in forum Recruiting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: October 27th, 2012, 03:33 PM

Tags for this Thread