NCAA Playoff Selection Committee

Posted 587 day(s) ago 1218 Views 24 Replies

ESPN NCAA Playoff Selection Committee

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8929406

DALLAS -- The sites for college football's first national semifinals have been announced. The first championship game site is all but a certainty. The six bowls that will rotate as hosts for the national semifinals are a foregone conclusion.

But the biggest unknown, and perhaps the most controversial decision remaining, concerning college football's impending four-team playoff is simply this -- who will select the teams each year, and how will they be selected?

The BCS commissioners got closer to answering that question following their latest meeting Thursday at the Grand Hyatt Regency Dallas-Fort Worth.

"If you don't get that right (how and who), it's hard to get the rest of it right," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said. "There are a lot of business elements, but generally speaking, you've got to get the competition aspects of it right for it to be 'right.' That's the biggest thing."

BCS executive director Bill Han**** said the selection committee would consist of between 14-20 members, including at least one individual representing each of the 10 FBS conferences.

Finding more than a dozen individuals interested won't be a problem. But finding individuals that are interested and qualified to be on the committee might be a tougher task.

The committee will resemble the NCAA men's basketball tournament's selection committee, except there will be a great deal more pressure and scrutiny on the football committee determining which four teams can compete for the national title.

ACC commissioner John Swofford was jokingly asked if the committee members might have to be in the witness protection program since college football fans have been known to be fanatical.

"Witness protection program: That's been said," Swofford said, laughing.

"There are a lot of great people out there that love the game, that will be able willing and qualified. We want people that know the game and understand the game, that have wisdom, integrity and respect. We're confident those people are out there."

The committee members could come from all walks of life, including former commissioners, former and current athletic directors and former coaches, Han**** said.

"We want experienced football purists, experts," Han**** said.

The selection committee will receive a "jury charge" from the commissioners. In ranking the teams, the committee will consider strength of schedule, where the games were played, conference championships and whether teams lost games because of injuries to key players.

In the playoff, the top four ranked teams -- as determined by the selection committee -- will meet in the semifinals. After those four teams are selected, the league champion or top available team from the Pac-12 and Big Ten will play in the Rose Bowl presented by Vizio, SEC and Big 12 teams in the Allstate Sugar Bowl and ACC in the Discover Orange Bowl.

The commissioners next meet April 23-25 in Pasadena, Calif.

At that time, they are expected to officially announce Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas -- the site of the AT&T Cotton Bowl -- as the site of the first title game on Jan. 12, 2015. ESPN previously reported Cowboys Stadium is the "prohibitive favorite" to host the national title game.

The BCS announced last month the Rose and Sugar Bowls will host college football's first national semifinals on Jan. 1, 2015. The Orange Bowl is also in the semifinal rotation.

The commissioners also likely will reveal in April the three other bowls that will host the semifinals -- sources have told ESPN they would be the Cotton, Tostitos Fiesta and Chick-fil-A bowls -- the name of the new playoff, and how the selection committee will be formed.

Under the 12-year deal, which begins after the 2014 regular season, the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl will be played on every non-Sunday Jan. 1, no matter whether they are hosting the national semifinals.

During the 12-year contract, the Rose and Sugar Bowls will host the semifinals four times. In the years they aren't hosting, the national semifinals would be moved from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, sources said.

The national semifinals will rotate through the six bowl games, setting up two playoff games and four major bowl games each season. The national title game will be bid out each year through a separate process similar to the Super Bowl.

The six games will include three "contract bowls" and three "host bowls." The spots in the contract bowls are reserved for teams that have deals with those bowls.
    Last edited by MadMex; February 8th, 2013 at 07:05 PM.

The selection committee will receive a "jury charge" from the commissioners. In ranking the teams, the committee will consider strength of schedule, where the games were played, conference championships and whether teams lost games because of injuries to key players.
    Does anyone else find this consideration a bit strange considering the small number of games played?

Originally Posted by SpankyNek View Post
    Does anyone else find this consideration a bit strange considering the small number of games played?
    SEC! SEC! SEC!

The entire process is weird because of the small sample size. Conference champs and a couple of wild cards in an 8 or 16 team playoff would make much more sense, but the NCAA doesn't make sense. In that scenario, you could just use the BCS (hopefully, with the good elements added back in) to determine the wild cards.

The first question any prospective selection committee member needs to be asked is if they thought Alabama deserved to play for the title over OSU in 2011. If they say yes, they are immediately disqualified.

The new system will be no better than the current one. Instead of complaining about who gets left out of the BCS bowls, teams will be complaining about not being ranked in the top 4. Expect the same SEC bias. I would not be surprised if 3 SEC teams all get to play in the playoff in 2014. The top 3 teams will have 11-1 or 12-1 records and LSU will magically slip in with 2 losses at #4 in the polls.

In the playoff, the top four ranked teams -- as determined by the selection committee -- will meet in the semifinals. After those four teams are selected, the league champion or top available team from the Pac-12 and Big Ten will play in the Rose Bowl presented by Vizio, SEC and Big 12 teams in the Allstate Sugar Bowl and ACC in the Discover Orange Bowl.

2 users like LASooner's post: MadMex, thurman murman

Barry Switzer deserves to be in there.
    The following users like this post: Stein7495

Bobby Bowden would be a good choice. That's one name we can all agree on.

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
    The first question any prospective selection committee member needs to be asked is if they thought Alabama deserved to play for the title over OSU in 2011. If they say yes, they are immediately disqualified.
    You are asking the wrong question. The correct question is whether or not there was a reason to have a playoff in 2011. The correct answer is "NO. LSU should have been awarded the championship at the conclusion of the regular season."

LSU got screwed in 2011, not OSU or anyone else, all because of this bizarre insistence on having a playoff whether there is anything to "play off" or not.
    Last edited by Sancho; February 8th, 2013 at 10:03 PM.

The deck will be stacked in favor of the most money. So, B1G & SEC. All the rest will be fighting for the last spot.

A committee makes no damn sense for such a small playoff. It's easy when you pick 65 as opposed to 4. It's impossible to keep out the teams that had the best regular seasons and earned their way in. Oh I can't wait to see what happens if a fourth spot comes down to an 11-1 Ohio State and an 11-1 Oklahoma. THAT should be fun. The fact that they'll allow more than one team from the same conference is absurd. If you want to do that then you should have at LEAST 6-8 teams in this not just four. I've hated that human opinion has been driving the sport for 80 years. Just give the 5 major conference champions a spot and three at-large already. I am so sick of the so-called writers and analysts **** about computers when the fact is they don't know any better themselves at the end of the day. Keep it simple. Settle the damn thing on the field.
    2 users like Onikuno's post: Stein7495, the-rover

This ought to be fun considering the Top 10 for most of the year in included 5-6 SEC teams. Here's the number of SEC teams in the final Coaches Poll Top 10 prior to selection Sunday:

2012: 6 (3 in Top 5)
    2011: 4 (2 in Top 5)
    2010: 2 (1 in Top 5)
    2009: 2 (2 in Top 5)
    2008: 2 (2 in Top 5)
    2007: 2 (2 in Top 5)
    2006: 3 (2 in Top 5)

So, the SEC's top two teams are likely an automatic pick every year. Also, the number of SEC teams in the Top 10 has increased significantly since the hype machine got in gear. 2 to 4 to 6. Luckily, they probably can't fit anymore than 6 of their teams in the Top 10.

This leaves two open spots for almost certainly one team from the remaining conferences. See, they will NEVER make the Top 4 two SEC teams and two Big Ten/Big XII/ACC/Pac 12 teams. That'd be the end of the system. It defeats the entire purpose of even having a playoff to just repeat, or in some cases create, possible "conference championship games" otherwise not possible similar to LSU-UA in 2011.

This effectively ends mid-majors (now including Big East) and the ACC. They can never top the others unless be of their teams run the table and puts themselves outside the debate because the committee will knowingly drop mid-majors to shape the debate despite the fact a mid-major has a similar, or maybe even better record, than the Big Ten/Big XII/ACC/Pac 12 contenders.

This system is ruined already. It won't lost very long because someone will sue over this. It's so shittily structured that its blatantly obvious that teams are getting ****ed, there's a lot of money involved, it mainly comprises public universities, and it involves commerce across state lines.

IF both Oklahoma and Texas could ever get their shit together, the system could set up favorably for these two. Beat the teams you should beat and get your loss out of the way early...

The Big 12 needs to adopt the SEC model of scheduling high school teams toward the end of the year to prevent a late loss.

That is just me being optimistic but I'm sure this will be a cluster**** until we get to at least eight teams like others have mentioned.

Originally Posted by Balko View Post
    Bobby Bowden would be a good choice. That's one name we can all agree on.
    Except he had some dubious final coaches polls the last few years of his employment. **** Bowden.
    3 users like LASooner's post: boomersooner53, Onikuno, ouwasp

The "jury charge" will also include paying mind to the (soon to be) 8 conferences that play 13 games versus the 2 that don't.

Undefeated or bust for those two chumps.

So, sorry Sun Belt and...what was the other one?

Originally Posted by Onikuno View Post
    A committee makes no damn sense for such a small playoff. It's easy when you pick 65 as opposed to 4. It's impossible to keep out the teams that had the best regular seasons and earned their way in. Oh I can't wait to see what happens if a fourth spot comes down to an 11-1 Ohio State and an 11-1 Oklahoma. THAT should be fun. The fact that they'll allow more than one team from the same conference is absurd. If you want to do that then you should have at LEAST 6-8 teams in this not just four. I've hated that human opinion has been driving the sport for 80 years. Just give the 5 major conference champions a spot and three at-large already. I am so sick of the so-called writers and analysts **** about computers when the fact is they don't know any better themselves at the end of the day. Keep it simple. Settle the damn thing on the field.
    No thanks! I'd rather see a WAC team included than a Big East team. No eligible Big 10 team deserved to be included last year either. I'd even say no Big 12 team deserved it (KSU wasn't that good, just didn't play anyone).

This thread cracks me up. I just want the see the best teams play and if they're all SEC schools, I'm cool with that. The Big 12 was an average conference and it would have been a shame to see KSU get stomped by any of the top SEC schools in a playoff.

The potential problems I see are the fact that there's a lot of possibilities for back alley handshakes and mysterious "donations". The computers don't always get it right but at least SEC boosters can't pay them off.

Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    Except he had some dubious final coaches polls the last few years of his employment. **** Bowden.
    Sarcasm. Bowden's poll shenanigans have been widely noted on LT.

The bowls/postseason are about conference supremacy, so ditch the committee and just seed the top 4 conference champs.

Dude, i read that quote you bolded and instantly realized that they dont know what the **** they are talking about.....LOL. They are really going to give a team a pass because of injuries? I thought thats what we were trying to get away from.........guessing who is better than who based on paper instead of results.

Originally Posted by TIMB0B View Post
    The bowls/postseason are about conference supremacy, so ditch the committee and just seed the top 4 conference champs.
    Thats still lending itself to way too much subjectivity. Who are the top 4 conference champs? Based on what?

As Lousiville demonstrated, any team can win on any given day. Thats why you play the game. The powers that be should have grown a pair and said all conference champs are in, forced ND to get in a conference or enjoy playing a regular season only and put at large teams in the last 5 slots since we just cant seem to break away from opinionated polling. Higher seed hosts until the title game. Keep it stupid simple. Everybody gets what they want in that scenario. If youre not one of the 16 that make it, then go to a bowl game.

How do you seed them? As long as its tied to something that happens on the field, I dont care. Be it punts killed inside the 20 or FG% or average KO return yardage or penetrations (the old guys will remember that one). Something, anything but voters. Of course a team with a better record should be higher, but if it identical records, use a special team function to break the tie. All on the field, just like it should be.

Originally Posted by bruthaman View Post
    Thats still lending itself to way too much subjectivity. Who are the top 4 conference champs? Based on what?

As Lousiville demonstrated, any team can win on any given day. Thats why you play the game. The powers that be should have grown a pair and said all conference champs are in, forced ND to get in a conference or enjoy playing a regular season only and put at large teams in the last 5 slots since we just cant seem to break away from opinionated polling. Higher seed hosts until the title game. Keep it stupid simple. Everybody gets what they want in that scenario. If youre not one of the 16 that make it, then go to a bowl game.

How do you seed them? As long as its tied to something that happens on the field, I dont care. Be it punts killed inside the 20 or FG% or average KO return yardage or penetrations (the old guys will remember that one). Something, anything but voters. Of course a team with a better record should be higher, but if it identical records, use a special team function to break the tie. All on the field, just like it should be.
    I only say top 4 because it's a 4 team playoff. I would prefer an all conference champs postseason.

So then they would also consider that the teams that won may not have won if not for the injuries of the other team? So while they are at it, they need to throw in weather conditions, number of players with baby mama issues, single player and team illnesses, players that have been suspended/arrested, type of turf that teams are accustomed to playing on, ad infinitum. This is precisely what I was concerned about. If you allow the committee any latitude to start considering outside factors they will consider all that are in line with their biases.

So, I'll say it again, the BCS was fine, use it to select the top 4 teams, we do not need a committee from a football perspective. However, I see the need for it to make sure the most profit is generated from the games. If any conference is allowed more than one spot in the playoff, I may need to find something else to do with my Saturdays.

Have a friend who is in the same building as the Football Playoff Committee's office and I thought their WiFi name was an odd choice:

The following users like this post: IndySooner