Catholics Have A New Pope:Pope Francis I

Posted 529 day(s) ago by DHF4674 Views 203 Replies
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4
    vCash

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    Isn't it on CL?

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    I remember when JPII died. First time in my life I witnessed this kind of event. I was in the student union at OU. Just sat there awhile watching coverage.

Cool story
    I love cool stories. Go ahead and tell one.

vCash

Wow

The process to replace a Pope is pretty cool. Im not Catholic but I find the whole process of it amazing
    The following users like this post: Aurora

vCash

so I am actually holding my breath waiting for the other shoe to drop...seeing as this is fairly unprecedented, I do not want to see the story that comes behind it.
    The following users like this post: McRib

vCash

The Dark Lord of the Sith cannot just resign.
    Last edited by beelzeBob; February 11th, 2013 at 05:30 PM.

I think it is quite possible that this Pope is setting a very smart precedent for future popes. You don't want 85 year old guys running huge, political world wide organizations. If he was CEO of Siemens, he would have retired a decade and a half ago.

With medicine today these guys can live to 85, 90 or more. It is bad for an organization to be led by a guy that physically or mentally can't lead for 8-10 years or more. Nevermind the decline in cognition as we age.

This precedent, if followed, will be the most important piece of his legacy. Kind of like George Washington's greatest act as President was probably leaving the office.

BTW, I'm not Catholic but I was touched by the wisdom and humility of resigning.

vCash

I like how you used Siemens as your example. Kudos.

vCash

Originally Posted by HoustonSooner View Post
    I think it is quite possible that this Pope is setting a very smart precedent for future popes. You don't want 85 year old guys running huge, political world wide organizations. If he was CEO of Siemens, he would have retired a decade and a half ago.

With medicine today these guys can live to 85, 90 or more. It is bad for an organization to be led by a guy that physically or mentally can't lead for 8-10 years or more. Nevermind the decline in cognition as we age.

This precedent, if followed, will be the most important piece of his legacy. Kind of like George Washington's greatest act as President was probably leaving the office.

BTW, I'm not Catholic but I was touched by the wisdom and humility of resigning.
    So, as much as i would like to think this is correct....the Catholic Church is not really known as trend setting, or with the times....THey are not big on changing for the world.

I grew up Catholic.

vCash

Originally Posted by smot poker View Post
    I like how you used Siemens as your example. Kudos.
    Amazing that Siemens is still visible long after Wang shrank into insignificance.

Originally Posted by soonersmc View Post
    So, as much as i would like to think this is correct....the Catholic Church is not really known as trend setting, or with the times....THey are not big on changing for the world.

I grew up Catholic.

I agree with that. It is usually not trend setting. I just think the guy was a close adviser to JP3 and viewed the last years of his reign as a mistake.

vCash

I'm thinking he's retiring because he doesn't want people to have to go through him dropping dead - especially during Lent.

Re: Pope Resigns

vCash

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    The Catholics are giving up the Pope for Lent.
    You gonna be here all week? Remind everyone to tip their waitperson.
    2 users like Stinger_1066's post: Aurora, oucub23

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Wow

The process to replace a Pope is pretty cool. Im not Catholic but I find the whole process of it amazing
    They should do it Eurotrip style this time around.

vCash

Wow

Cage match?

Wow

Angels and Demons.
    The following users like this post: McRib

What a shame. The guy who covered up child **** and turned away those who traveled to Rome seeking an apology from the "church".

What a shame that he'll have to leave his ****ing PALACE. I don't recall Jesus having a BUTLER. I wonder how many starving children could be fed with the millions they waste on cathedrals, paintings, jewels, statues, etc.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/deliver-us-from-evil/

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash

Pope Resigns

Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    What a shame. The guy who covered up child **** and turned away those who traveled to Rome seeking an apology from the "church".

What a shame that he'll have to leave his ****ing PALACE. I don't recall Jesus having a BUTLER. I wonder how many starving children could be fed with the millions they waste on cathedrals, paintings, jewels, statues, etc.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/deliver-us-from-evil/
    Lol
    The following users like this post: SMC

Nevermind the decline in cognition as we age.
    You have to be pretty devoid of any cognitive functioning to be catholic to begin with.

From John Hogue:

In a cool and matter of fact manor, Pope Benedict XVI announced today that he would be stepping down as Pope of 1 billion Catholics because of his advanced age. The ring of St. Peter will be removed from his living hand and smashed at 8 pm, 28 February 2013.

Popes rarely retire. They are led out of the Papal Palace usually feet first, dead with their white slippers on. If my memory serves me at this short notice of recently receiving this Church-shaking news, the last pope to because of old age was St. Celestine V. That was 719 years ago in 1294.

It is a rather sordid story: one of the worst moments in the history of the papacy. It is unfortunate, but telling, that Benedict XVI would once again put papal foot in mouth as now comparisons with his abandonment of the throne of St. Peter match that of Celestine V that led to one of the most monstrous pontiffs in history taking holy office, Boniface VIII .

Apostasy, Fatima-Gate and child molestation scandals, have ever overshadowed Benedict's short and checkered reign. He apparently will not survive the widening child molestation scandal of pedophile priests that as Cardinal Ratzinger -- head of the Congregation of the D octrine of the Faith under Pope John Paul II's long reign -- kept under wraps, sequestering and shielding hundreds of serial pedophile predators from secular justice all around the world.

It is believed that this was all foreseen by St. Malachy (d. 1148), a medieval Irish prophet who left us a list of 111 Latin mottoes -- each signifying the life, heraldry, name or works of every pontiff from his contemporary Celestine II (1143-1144) up to Benedict XVI.

What follows in his prophecy is a coda where he describes the "last pope", who he calls Petrus Romanus (Peter of Rome). Benedict was foretold to be the pope who brought about a spiritual crisis in the Roman Catholic Church. Peter of Rome will administer the faithful, it is presaged, when Rome itself is destroyed in a horrific prophecy about the Last Days of Judgment.

If you wish to read a short eBook about St. Malachy's prophecies about the fate of Benedict XVI and his successor, Petrus Romanus, click on the Last Pope.

There is also another book I wrote on this matter of St. Malachy and collective Catholic prophecy you can check out by clicking on Church of Rome.

I'm trying to figure out what is more scandalous. Covering up child sex abuse (which was probably as traditional as being Pope for life) or that a billion strong believe this particular fairy tale in this day and age.

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash

Pope Resigns

Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    You have to be pretty devoid of any cognitive functioning to be catholic to begin with.
    Obvious troll is ovious

The next Pope could be Canadian.

vCash

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    They're re-animating flesh so the next Pope can come to life ( it lives!!!! it lives!!!!) and rule their financial MLM empire.
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

vCash

It would be nice if this did set a precendent for future Popes but I don't see it happening; hard to give up the power and creature comforts. It would be wonderful if he really did it for selfless reasons because it probably is best for the church in the long term.

Because he was suppose to just be place setter and rule for a short time, I wonder if he was encouraged to resign, whereas in the olden days they would have just poisoned him. The timing of it happening during Lent does make me wonder if there is something more behind the scenes.

Originally Posted by Aldebaran View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what is more scandalous. Covering up child sex abuse (which was probably as traditional as being Pope for life) or that a billion strong believe this particular fairy tale in this day and age.
    It is fascinating...

Here are a few of the "infallible" popes who "beenadick" will go down in history with:

* In 769, Pope Stephen IV came to power with the help of an army which conquered the previous Pope. Stephen gave orders for his papal rival to be flogged, have his eyes cut out, have his kneecaps broken, and be imprisoned until he died. Then Pope Stephen sentenced a second man to die a slow, agonizing death. He had pieces of his body cut off every day until he finally died.

* Pope Leo V only reigned for one month (July 903). Cardinal Christopher put Leo in prison and became Pope. Then Christopher was put in prison by Cardinal Sergius. Sergius killed Leo and Christopher while they were in prison. He also killed every cardinal who had opposed him.

*Pope John XII reigned from 955 to 964. He was a violent man. He was so lustful that people of his day said that he turned the Lateran Palace into a brothel. He drank toasts to the devil. When gambling he invoked pagan gods and goddesses. He was killed by a jealous husband while in the act of committing adultery with the man's wife.

* In the tenth century, a wealthy Italian noblewoman named Marozia put nine popes into office in eight years. In order to do that, she also had to get rid of reigning popes. Two of them were strangled, one was suffocated, and four disappeared under mysterious circumstances. One of the popes was Marozia's son; he was fathered by a Pope.

* In 1003, Pope Silvester II was murdered by his successor, Pope John XVII. Seven months later, John was poisoned.

* Pope Benedict VIII reigned from 1012 to 1024. He kept a private force of "pope's men" who were known for torture, maimings, and murder. The Pope personally ordered many assassinations. He enjoyed cutting the tongues out of living men and he had a reputation for blood lust.

* When Benedict VIII died, his brother seized power and became Pope John XIX. He had himself ordained a priest, consecrated as a bishop, and crowned as pope, all in the same day. John died under suspicious circumstances.

* Pope Benedict IX reigned from 1032 to 1044, in 1045, and from 1047 to 1048. He became Pope through bribery. He had sex with men, women and animals. He gave orders for people to be murdered. He also practiced witchcraft and Satanism. The citizens of Rome hated Benedict so much that on two occasions he had to flee from Rome. Benedict sold the papacy to Pope Gregory VI. As part of the deal, he continued to live in the Lateran Palace, with a generous income. Benedict filled the Lateran Palace with prostitutes.

*In 1298, Pope Boniface ordered that every man, woman, child and animal in the Italian town of Palestrina be slaughtered. He was known for torture, massacre, and ferocity.

* Pope Clement VI reigned from 1342 to 1352. He ordered the slaughter of an entire Italian town. He lived a life of luxury and extravagance. He openly admitted that he sold church offices and he used threats and bribery to gain power. Clement purchased a French palace which became known as a papal brothel.

* Pope Alexander VI reigned from 1492 to 1503. He was known for murder, bribery and selling positions of authority in the Church. He was grossly licentious. On one occasion he required 50 prostitutes to dance naked before him and to engage in sexual acts for his entertainment. He had cardinals killed so that he could confiscate their property and sell their positions to ambitious men. He died of poison after having dinner with a cardinal. It was rumored that the cardinal suspected that the Pope would try to poison him and he therefore switched wine goblets with the Pope.

* Pope Julius II reigned from 1503 to 1513. He became Pope through bribery. He was extremely ruthless and violent. He had a reputation for lust, drunknness, rages, deception, and nepotism.

* Pope Gregory VII reigned from 1073 to 1085. He required kings and emperors to kiss his foot. Gregory and his successors used forged documents in order to expand the power of the papacy. Some Roman Catholics tried to expose these forgeries but they were excommunicated for it. However, the Orthodox Church kept records and wrote detailed information about the forgeries.

* Simony was rampant among clerics. It was commonplace for priests to pay money in order to become bishops and abbots. Pope Gregory VII said that he knew of more than 40 men who became Pope by means of bribery.

* Pope Innocent III reigned from 1198 to 1216. He said that the Pope is the ruler of the world and the father of princes and kings. He claimed that every priest and bishop must obey the Pope even if the Pope commands something evil. Pope Innocent wanted to get rid of the Albigensian heretics who lived in France. He forced the King of France to kill hundreds of thousands of French citizens. The Albigensians lived mingled among the French Catholics. Pope Innocent commanded that every person in the region, including the Catholics, be killed.

vCash

This is an opportunity for The Church to take a step in the right direction, though I'm not confident it will do so. A younger, less conservative Pope would be one that could energize a generation or three that are non energized and revive a dying denomination in every part of the world that is not poor.

vCash

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    This is an opportunity for The Church to take a step in the right direction, though I'm not confident it will do so. A younger, less conservative Pope would be one that could energize a generation or three that are non energized and revive a dying denomination in every part of the world that is not poor.
    So you want a liberal pope that is say pro choice????

vCash

Originally Posted by Palmbeachsooner View Post
    So you want a liberal pope that is say pro choice????
    Nope. I don't want a "liberal" pope. I want a pope that is living in the 21st Century and will move the Church forward, not backward. I want a pope that can relate to the youth (ala JPII) and that will work toward growing the Church in the U.S. and other developed countries as opposed to turning off the majority of people. That has nothing to do with being "liberal" and only something to do with not being ultra conservative.

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    I would like a younger pope as well. But they must take precautions on "moving the church foward". That phrase scares me.

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    Nope. I don't want a "liberal" pope. I want a pope that is living in the 21st Century and will move the Church forward, not backward. I want a pope that can relate to the youth (ala JPII) and that will work toward growing the Church in the U.S. and other developed countries as opposed to turning off the majority of people. That has nothing to do with being "liberal" and only something to do with not being ultra conservative.
    Wouldn't the folks that run the local community church be a better place to start to grow the church? I can't imagine basing my church decision on whether I like some guy living in Europe that I'm never going to meet.

Pope Resigns

They don't have young Pope's because they don't want them to be in power for a long time. Having 80 year old men as Pope is an instant way to set term limits and keep too much control from being held by one person for too long.

vCash

I would like the next pope to be married with children.

vCash

Originally Posted by keefsmangledfingers View Post
    Wouldn't the folks that run the local community church be a better place to start to grow the church? I can't imagine basing my church decision on whether I like some guy living in Europe that I'm never going to meet.
    THis is a big part of the reason I left the Catholic Church. THe fact that my tithes were going to mega monstrous huge in debt buildings, or whatever the Church deemed they wanted them to go to. I can say unequivocally my help did not flow back into my community.

Decisions were being made by a man (or group of men) who live in seclusion in another part of the world, never having to experience what most of us do.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

vCash

Originally Posted by smot poker View Post
    I would like the next pope to be married with children.
    You mean the television show? That would be awesome.

Pope Bundy I!
    The following users like this post: smot poker

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    THis is a big part of the reason I left the Catholic Church. THe fact that my tithes were going to mega monstrous huge in debt buildings, or whatever the Church deemed they wanted them to go to. I can say unequivocally my help did not flow back into my community.

Decisions were being made by a man (or group of men) who live in seclusion in another part of the world, never having to experience what most of us do.
    You really think your tithe went all the way to Rome?

vCash

no BOunce, mine went towards the ridiculous 7 million dollar construction loan that was taken out to build the bldg...or the $23k monthly operating budget...which I knew because it was posted every week and handed to me as I walked in.

The second collection went to an orphanage in Guatemala, or something that St Gregory's in Shawnee was fond of...The St. VIncent DePaul society gave fragments (with serious impose limits) back to those in need in my community.

vCash

I am sure a percentage does...

Every church does this, not just the Catholic Church.

vCash

Originally Posted by ArbySooner View Post
    Every church does this, not just the Catholic Church.
    You are painting with a broad brush here.

The Church I attend has a large focus both globally and locally. Not just in financial terms, but volunteering outside the Church is not only appreciated, they will help you get in contact with local need.

vCash

The Church I attend has a large focus both globally and locally. Not just in financial terms, but volunteering outside the Church is not only appreciated, they will help you get in contact with local need.
    So, are you. My Catholic church does exactly what you just described.

vCash

A church should pray globally and pay locally.

The Catholic Church I grew up in does the same. Whether it's delivering meals it elderly, working in food pantry, go on missions, etc.

vCash

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    So, are you. My Catholic church does exactly what you just described.

Is your Catholic Church paid for, gym addition and all?

I have been a member of several, and they have not done this...I imagine you have a St. Vincent society then..go see what they will pay and to who.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with Catholics or the Church, I just disagree with their views in certain areas. THis comes from growing up Catholic, being a sponsor to a Catechist, teaching Sacramental preparation, etc. I was an altar boy growing up, even did the Bishops masses (in Latin and English)..

I am not the only one who feels this way I imagine...its not like you have new Priests lining up do you? at least not English speaking ones....

REUTERS -- PRESS RELEASE - CBS Television announces new sit com starring Retiring Pope, Benedict XVI. The New York based show is about, of all things, a retired Pope who lives in Greenwich Village. He and his zany group of friends interact on the set of the Ex Pope's lush New York condo. The characters in the show, Boss, Chandly, Bebe, Rachelle, and the resident Rabbi, Hanukkah, hang together mostly at a local bar called the Vatican Lounge. Terms of the Ex Pope's contract have not been announced. The pilot will feature film star, genuine Ben Afflect.

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    no BOunce, mine went towards the ridiculous 7 million dollar construction loan that was taken out to build the bldg...or the $23k monthly operating budget...which I knew because it was posted every week and handed to me as I walked in.

The second collection went to an orphanage in Guatemala, or something that St Gregory's in Shawnee was fond of...The St. VIncent DePaul society gave fragments (with serious impose limits) back to those in need in my community.
    I can see being thrown off by the $7MM building but without knowing which parish it was I don't know what was needed.

There are ways to donate to the local community through the church or outside of the church if you would rather tithe that way. Last I checked, nobody is charging your tithe at the door to get in.

vCash

Please don't use the term altar boy on here. It's just gross.

vCash

I can see being thrown off by the $7MM building but without knowing which parish it was I don't know what was needed.

There are ways to donate to the local community through the church or outside of the church if you would rather tithe that way. Last I checked, nobody is charging your tithe at the door to get in.
    Bouncey,

I am glad you have your faith in the Church. I am glad you and your wife made the choice to do this, and it iwll be a great way for your children to grow up. Let me ask an honest question, do you, your wife, or your kids (probably not quite old enough yet) view going to Church as a chore? the getting up, getting dressed up...
    getting there.

I am not being inflammatory, it is an honest question

vCash

Bouncey,

I am glad you have your faith in the Church. I am glad you and your wife made the choice to do this, and it iwll be a great way for your children to grow up. Let me ask an honest question, do you, your wife, or your kids (probably not quite old enough yet) view going to Church as a chore? the getting up, getting dressed up...
    getting there.

I am not being inflammatory, it is an honest question
    I can answer for myself. No, I do not. I enjoy the ritual. It makes me feel closer to God. I know that Catholicism isn't for everyone. Just like the more informal services of many Protestant faiths aren't for me. Heck, I don't even like when some Catholic Churches bust out guitar Mass.