Welcome Coach Bill Bedenbaugh

Posted 621 day(s) ago by Vodnik34214 Views 457 Replies
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by OUsooners1982 View Post
    BJW will be Mervs replacement when he retires, but I think that They could move Kittle to ST & TEs are something like that
    I would prefer to hire a legit TE/STs coach, hire a solid OL coach and move Kittle to recruiting coordinator

So hopefully we never have to see Mr. G**** jelly OUdavid's ass again with his ludicrous claims of having sources.
    2 users like TheKing's post: oorah_okie, OUrage

I dont mean I want him coaching ST - I just mean I see them moving him and him changing his title. The next OL coach will want full control

What is really funny is anyone who knows the program knows that Kittle was actually stripped from coaching Tackles because he wasn't capable of learning the schemes. Patton was coaching everything other than tight ends and GAs were picking up the slack helping coach the tight ends. Kittle was just lost.

The Stanford OC got hired by the Colts. They promoted the O-Line coach to OC. Whoever the new Stanford O-Line coach is hasn't coached a game yet. But I'd still take him over Mangino.
    The following users like this post: KyleOU

James Patton out

Do we know if Stoops has issued a statement from atop Mt Tuscany yet?
    The following users like this post: URNotserious

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Do we know if Stoops has issued a statement from atop Mt Tuscany yet?
    University of Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops confirmed Monday that
    assistant coach James Patton has accepted a position on Kevin Wilson's
    staff at the University of Indiana.

"We appreciate the contributions that James made to our program over
    the past seven seasons," Stoops said. "He was a valued member of a staff
    that helped us win five Big 12 championships. We wish James and his
    family the best in this opportunity with Kevin Wilson at Indiana."

"Our family has enjoyed a tremendous experience at the University of
    Oklahoma," Patton said. "It has truly been a pleasure to work with Joe
    Castiglione, Coach Stoops and the entire football staff, as well as the
    many talented student-athletes that I was privileged to coach at OU.
    I'm excited about this new challenge at Indiana, and am extremely
    grateful for being afforded a chance to work with Oklahoma Football the
    past seven years."

Patton joined the Oklahoma staff in 2006 from Northwestern University
    where he spent seven seasons prior to his arrival in Norman.

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    True, but OU was never going to get back to that next level, which is winning it all. The risk is worth the potential award. The next guy can always get fired as well if he doesn't get the job done.

Between OU having a philosophical shift to recruit mobile/dual threat QBs and a "QB run game lite" that WILL be implemented for next season and beyond and this...

Kansas St.: 88 rushing yards (loss)
    Notre Dame: 15 rushing yards (loss)

It was time for Patton to move on. A program like Oklahoma should be around 200 rushing yards per game (regardless of their average number passing attempts) and not always failing to rush for at least 100 yards against Top 50 defenses 9 times out of 10.
    The rushing numbers in both of those games are misleading because they don’t show losses due to sacks. OU rushed for 99 yrds against K-State and 55 yards against ND minus the two sacks and bad snap for -19 yards. Still not the kind of rushing yards that you would expect to see from an Oklahoma Sooner football team.

I blame coaching for both of those losses, even though we did turn the ball over three times against K-State and twice against ND and you can‘t turn the ball over against good teams but we still should‘ve won both of those games.

You’re not going to get many yards rushing when you only run the ball 24 times against K-State and 21 times against ND. Even if you’re not getting a lot of yards rushing, you still have to try and establish the run game. You can’t beat a good team if your offense is one dimensional and we seem to always give good teams the advantage by making our offense one dimensional with our game plan.

I also didn’t see why everyone was so high on Damian Williams. He had more negative run plays than he did positive. Roy Finch must’ve really ****ed up for this guy to beat him out. Clay, who everyone dogged in 2011 was our best RB last year but carried the ball half as many times as Williams. Whaley at half strength was better than Williams was and Millard again was practically non existent in our offensive scheme.

I haven’t been satisfied with the OL philosophy for a long time, concentrating on getting guys that can pass block and teaching them to be among the best in the country at doing that but not getting guys who can run block and spending little time in teaching them run blocking skills if any at all. Again, that falls on the head coach and his offensive philosophy which is to throw the ball 50 or 60 times a game. I’m afraid that it won’t matter who we get to coach the OL (or any other position) as long as we keep the same offensive philosophy. I hope you’re right and we see a shift to a more run oriented offense with a mobile QB but I won’t believe it until I see it.

I’m not a big fan of the pistol offense but San Francisco showed how effective it can be with a mobile QB and capable RB as did Nevada, who gave us the idea to run it. Maybe we’ll see more of that until we can get an OL that can line up and knock anyone on their ass.

we need to get Tulsa's recruiting coordinator

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    I don't want Kittle being anywhere near the special teams. As maligned as BJW has been by some, when he "took over" the special teams last year they looked the best that they had looked in some time. I don't want Kittle ****ing that up too. Honestly there's not a position on the football field that I want Kittle coaching. Perhaps we could name him "assistant to the scout team coordinator".
    I agree. Now if we could just get bob to agree.

This is a couple years too late IMO.

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    This is a couple years too late IMO.
    More like 5 years too late.
    The following users like this post: Straz1999

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    No it isn't, not even close.

If you can't distinguish why you should take out a bad snap of a QB fumbling from stats when evaluating run blocking, I don't know what to tell you but its pointless to continue this conversation
    The important stat that you're not mentioning is yards lost to sacks. These are direct passing plays that should have nothing to do with run blocking or RB stats. The NFL doesn't count them against the running game.

Originally Posted by DarrellS011 View Post
    I also didn’t see why everyone was so high on Damian Williams. He had more negative run plays than he did positive. Roy Finch must’ve really ****ed up for this guy to beat him out. Clay, who everyone dogged in 2011 was our best RB last year but carried the ball half as many times as Williams. Whaley at half strength was better than Williams was and Millard again was practically non existent in our offensive scheme.
    Couldn't disagree more about D. WIlliams. Not that I think he's a great back but I think he's real good. When he had room to run he gained yards. The problem was the O-Line couldn't push people around when they needed to. But I think that is where Bob is going with this move, to try to be more physical up front. (I think we all understand and want that). I think Bob realized in the ND game that they were soft. They got completely manhandled and I think that was his tipping point.

Originally Posted by DarrellS011 View Post
    The rushing numbers in both of those games are misleading because they don’t show losses due to sacks. OU rushed for 99 yrds against K-State and 55 yards against ND minus the two sacks and bad snap for -19 yards. Still not the kind of rushing yards that you would expect to see from an Oklahoma Sooner football team.

I blame coaching for both of those losses, even though we did turn the ball over three times against K-State and twice against ND and you can‘t turn the ball over against good teams but we still should‘ve won both of those games.

You’re not going to get many yards rushing when you only run the ball 24 times against K-State and 21 times against ND. Even if you’re not getting a lot of yards rushing, you still have to try and establish the run game. You can’t beat a good team if your offense is one dimensional and we seem to always give good teams the advantage by making our offense one dimensional with our game plan.

I haven’t been satisfied with the OL philosophy for a long time, concentrating on getting guys that can pass block and teaching them to be among the best in the country at doing that but not getting guys who can run block and spending little time in teaching them run blocking skills if any at all. Again, that falls on the head coach and his offensive philosophy which is to throw the ball 50 or 60 times a game. I’m afraid that it won’t matter who we get to coach the OL (or any other position) as long as we keep the same offensive philosophy. I hope you’re right and we see a shift to a more run oriented offense with a mobile QB but I won’t believe it until I see it.

I’m not a big fan of the pistol offense but San Francisco showed how effective it can be with a mobile QB and capable RB as did Nevada, who gave us the idea to run it. Maybe we’ll see more of that until we can get an OL that can line up and knock anyone on their ass.
    There's a reason why I believe a change is coming and that is the fact that every QB on OU's roster now falls much closer to the "dual threat" category than "dropback/pro-style passer" category and the more than just coincidence of James Patton's departure this year when OU is getting ready to field a more mobile QB whoever it ends up being.

The reason why Brennan Clay was getting dogged early on is he wasn't performing. Now whether that was due to him being a slow starter and/or just a product of his injuries, he wasn't getting the job done. With that said, he did an outstanding job this past season and hopefully he keeps it up. You are right though, OU needs to get out of the business of throwing 50 to 60 yards a game. Now while that is entertaining, it's not near as entertaining as being able to watch an OU team grind out a win in the 4th quarter on the ground when necessary.

I still wish Millard would start though. A Bell/Millard combo would be brutal to an opposing defense over the long haul.

James Patton out

Originally Posted by srburkhart View Post
    Couldn't disagree more about D. WIlliams. Not that I think he's a great back but I think he's real good. When he had room to run he gained yards. The problem was the O-Line couldn't push people around when they needed to. But I think that is where Bob is going with this move, to try to be more physical up front. (I think we all understand and want that). I think Bob realized in the ND game that they were soft. They got completely manhandled and I think that was his tipping point.
    Agree 100%

Maybe Bob will hire his uncle, Bob Stoops, as the new line coach. Just think, having two Bob Stoops and a Mike Stoops as coaches. He is family, so he meets the criteria of family/friend!

I love Trey Millard and he has a nice role on this team. We've all seen him break the long run or screen pass and truck a dude (KState/Missouri/Texas). I'm going to say this and then duck for cover. Do you remember when Millard broke one or two tackles to gain 5-10 extra yards? Remember when it took 5 guys to get him down on an inside belly run? Me either. The fact is Millard is a great hybrid, Tailback, Fullback, TE but he isn't Jermone Bettis or Earl Cambell. I don't think we can give him the ball 25 times a game and win.

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Recruiting first, coaching second.
    Give me a coach who can turn a 3 star guy into a 5 star guy over one who will turn a 5 star into a 3 star any day.
    The following users like this post: MadMex

James Patton out

I love Trey Millard and he has a nice role on this team. We've all seen him break the long run or screen pass and truck a dude (KState/Missouri/Texas). I'm going to say this and then duck for cover. Do you remember when Millard broke one or two tackles to gain 5-10 extra yards? Remember when it took 5 guys to get him down on an inside belly run? Me either. The fact is Millard is a great hybrid, Tailback, Fullback, TE but he isn't Jermone Bettis or Earl Cambell. I don't think we can give him the ball 25 times a game and win.
    Yeah, and he gets winded when used too much as a RB. When he gets winded, he misses blocks and running game gets even worse. Limited role is best role for him. 7-8 carries, 4-5 passes.

Kittle to O-line coach? Haha
    Last edited by Stein7495; February 11th, 2013 at 10:38 PM.

Originally Posted by BobbyDMusic View Post
    Give me a coach who can turn a 3 star guy into a 5 star guy over one who will turn a 5 star into a 3 star any day.
    So, no one from UT then. Got it!
    The following users like this post: Sooner 76

Originally Posted by BobbyDMusic View Post
    Stars are for websites and magazines.

good thing you ducked for cover...

SoonerBounce Guest

James Patton out

Just saying... Our pass protection was great this year again. Our run game wa better this year. I don't think kittle has hurt anything

Just saying... Our pass protection was great this year again. Our run game wa better this year. I don't think kittle has hurt anything
    Pardon me. How would you know what good looks like? You're a Bills fan...
    4 users like Mr. Pink's post: Al F***n Swearingen, HeroOfTheDay, OU812, SoonerDan74012

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Pardon me. How would you know what good looks like? You're a Bills fan...
    Bills had a top 5 rushing attack this year. And it would have been better if they would have given spiller the majority of the carries

Damien Williams is a home run hitter and probably the only real back we have that is that type of threat. I don't know about any of the new guys of course. I do agree he's not consistent though.

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    good thing you ducked for cover...
    Not what I expected.

So all... is this satisfactory to the mob? Is this change enough? Will it really make a difference, or is this happening just to appease the masses?

James Patton out

Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    So all... is this satisfactory to the mob? Is this change enough? Will it really make a difference, or is this happening just to appease the masses?
    Mob is not satisfied until we get to stay one weekend at Bob's house in Tuscany.

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    Damien Williams is a home run hitter and probably the only real back we have that is that type of threat. I don't know about any of the new guys of course. I do agree he's not consistent though.
    Red shirt freshmen Ross is a kid to watch out for in the spring. Should be a big time home run threat.
    2 users like drspencer's post: mexican/ninja, S00NER14

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by KyleOU View Post
    Mob is not satisfied until we get to stay one weekend at Bob's house in Tuscany.
    what is all of this Tuscany shit going around

Has anyone read Kittle's resume? Bob Stoops announced he was packing it in the day he hired Bruce Kittle. The top accomplishment on his resume is being a graduate assistant at Iowa. And yet he's an assistant coach at OU and on campus recruiting coordinator. Give me a break. He should never have been hired and should have left with or before Patton.
    The following users like this post: guest

chiudi il becco imbecille tornare alla tua laurea .....

Originally Posted by LVSOONER15 View Post
    Let's see who we can bring in.
    Who else was at Stoops wedding?

Color me unimpressed. Until we dismantle that thing called an 'offense' I won't be getting too excited about any news coming out of Tuscany.

Originally Posted by soonirvana View Post
    Who else was at Stoops wedding?
    Mexican busboys?
    The following users like this post: VRO405

Shipp next???

Re: James Patton out

Originally Posted by Houston Sooner View Post
    Shipp next???
    Hope so!

This offseason catch phrase

Bill Bedenfield - WVU O-line coach

Originally Posted by BKSOONERS View Post
    Bill Bedenfield - WVU O-line coach
    name has surfaced to the top of the list. I don't know how I feel. He is supposed to be a great recruiter and he coached with Mike at Arizona and coaced at TT.

If he can actually make our run game good out of the spread, then I'm all for it.

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
    What is really funny is anyone who knows the program knows that Kittle was actually stripped from coaching Tackles because he wasn't capable of learning the schemes. Patton was coaching everything other than tight ends and GAs were picking up the slack helping coach the tight ends. Kittle was just lost.
    Not sure to believe this or not...but incredibly troubling even if slightest hint of truth here.

For Patton's replacement, we need a difference-maker for both teaching/coaching and recruiting. Read the bio on Brian Davis (OU, 2003) and he sounds great (as OU48A says in another thread), but want best candidate hired---OU Alum or not. Maybe the WVU guy (Bedenbaugh) on other thread is way to go?

I just figured it out myself...see link....is pretty funny, actually! https://twitter.com/Tuscany_Stoops
    The following users like this post: ultralance12

Originally Posted by jmboyer1 View Post
    Not sure to believe this or not...but incredibly troubling even if slightest hint of truth here.

For Patton's replacement, we need a difference-maker for both teaching/coaching and recruiting. Read the bio on Brian Davis (OU, 2003) and he sounds great (as OU48A says in another thread), but want best candidate hired---OU Alum or not. Maybe the WVU guy (Bedenbaugh) on other thread is way to go?
    I've heard from multiple reliable people (posters) that said Kittle was not coaching the tackles after the KSU game. Basically that he was pissing off Patton and he was TOTALLY lost getting the scheme down. That is incredibly pitiful considering Bob should have known how lost he would be. Wasn't he a GA here at OU before he became a coach?
    The following users like this post: OU812

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by jmboyer1 View Post
    I just figured it out myself...see link....is pretty funny, actually! https://twitter.com/Tuscany_Stoops
    yeah but how did it get started? Did bob mention something about tuscany?

SoonerBounce Guest
    Originally Posted by nolesooner View Post
    I've heard from multiple reliable people (posters)
    oxymoron
    The following users like this post: Cabbage_town_kid

No idea...maybe a vacation to Tuscany, etc? Somebody around here must know!

The Stoops family took a vacay to Tuscany about 10 mins after the Cotton Bowl.