Obama to tackle jobs, energy and immigration during his State of the Union address

Posted 619 day(s) ago 1818 Views 119 Replies
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Obama to tackle jobs, energy and immigration during his State of the Union address

Obama to tackle jobs, energy, immigration during State of the Union address

(Carolyn Kaster / Associated Press)
    WASHINGTON — A confident President Obama is expected Tuesday to unveil an aggressive agenda in the first State of the Union address of his second term, calling for a rewrite of the nation’s outdated immigration laws, steps to prevent gun violence and ways to bolster a still-fragile economy.

Obama starts his second term with job approval ratings among the highest since he took office. But he faces a not-yet-recovered economy, a mounting deficit, an often hostile Congress and a nation increasingly distrustful that polarized, partisan Washington can get anything done.

In many ways, the address serves as a marker for what the president hopes will form his legacy. After outlining his second-term agenda in an inaugural speech last month that infuriated Republicans for its full-throated embrace of liberalism, Obama will deliver details of what he wants to accomplish, priorities that include energy independence, education and job creation.

“A lot of people think the State of the Union is empty rhetoric, but it’s full of specific requests,” said Robert Lehrman, a former speechwriter for Vice President Al Gore and a professor at American University. “It’s not only the state of the union, but the state of the Obama administration.”

Tens of millions of people are expected to watch the 8 p.m. CST address, which Obama will deliver from the U.S. Capitol; in 2012, 38 million households tuned in. Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, a rising star in his party who has garnered buzz as a possible 2016 presidential contender, will deliver the Republican response — in English and in Spanish.

Rubio has been leading an immigration overhaul in the Senate, but Republicans are eager for the conservative freshman to illustrate the party’s biggest point of contention with Obama: his stewardship of the economy.

This year’s speech marks the 100th anniversary of the State of the Union. Though George Washington was the first president to address Congress, speeches soon were scrapped in favor of the written word. Woodrow Wilson, however, reconstituted the in-person delivery to Congress in 1913, a custom that has continued ever since.

White House officials declined to divulge details, but Obama gave a preview of his remarks to House of Representatives Democrats on Thursday, telling them he would talk about ensuring an economy that works for all.

“I’m going to be talking about making sure that we’re focused on job creation,” he said. “It means that we’re focused on education and that every young person is equipped with the skills they need to compete in the 21st century. It means that we’ve got an energy agenda that can make us less dependent on foreign oil, but also that we’re cultivating the kind of clean energy strategy that will maintain our leadership well into the future.”

In the months since he defeated challenger Mitt Romney, Obama already has waged battle with congressional Republicans over tax increases and spending reductions. Last week, he urged Congress to pass a package of modest cuts and tax changes as a way to delay what the government calls sequester cuts — drastic, across-the-board federal spending reductions that are scheduled to take effect March 1.

“We’re going to talk about, yes, deficits and taxes and sequesters and potential government shutdowns and debt ceiling,” Obama told House Democrats. “We’ll talk about that stuff, but all from the perspective of how are we making sure that somebody who works hard in this country — a cop, or a teacher, or a construction worker, or a receptionist — that they can make it if they work hard, and that their kids can make it and dream even bigger dreams than they have achieved.”

Education advocates say the speech could contain a significant early childhood education initiative.

For the nation’s employers, energy, trade and regulations are chief concerns. But topping the list for most businesses, however, is what happens with negotiations to reduce the deficit through spending cuts, new taxes or some mix of both.

“What I’d like to hear on fiscal policy is a clear delineation of what and how many spending cuts are going to be coming forward, and what and how many tax increases he would like to see so we can evaluate the policy,” said Martin Regalia, chief economist for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

Obama told immigrant advocates and labor leaders that he’ll call for rewriting immigration laws in his address, and he told House Democrats that it was a “top priority and an early priority.”

If Congress is unable to move a timely proposal, Obama said he’ll ask for a vote on his own plan.

Obama wants a pathway to citizenship for 11 million illegal immigrants, a nationwide system to verify the legal status of workers, punishment for businesses that hire people in the U.S. illegally, easier access for highly skilled immigrants to stay in the country and enhanced border security.

Many Republican leaders now support an immigration overhaul — even a path to citizenship — after a bruising election in which Hispanics voted overwhelmingly for Obama. But conflict remains over what illegal immigrants would need to do to attain citizenship.

Obama already has laid out specific proposals for the most aggressive gun control plan in generations, and gun-control advocates — who have more influence at the White House than they have had in decades — said they don’t expect any news, but instead a call to action.

Obama devoted much of his inaugural speech to climate change, and advocates are expecting him to elaborate on how the administration plans to tackle the problem. One likely option, said Bob Deans, a spokesman for the Natural Resources Defense Council, is the Environmental Protection Agency’s regulatory authority.

Obama also is likely to talk about a host of pressing international worries: Iran’s nuclear ambitions, the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan and escalating violence in Syria.

“These are speeches that the president takes very seriously,” White House press secretary Jay Carney said. “He’s a writer himself, so he engages at a very deep level on the framing of a speech, on the writing of it and the editing of it and the shaping of it.”

I probably won't watch, as I've got to take my oldest to volleyball practice, but I really hope he focuses more on the economy and less on some of the other junk.

I think a healthy economy will help that some of that other junk even out in the end.

They say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Obama is literally energy insane along with anyone who supports his energy plans!

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    I probably won't watch, as I've got to take my oldest to volleyball practice, but I really hope he focuses more on the economy and less on some of the other junk.

I think a healthy economy will help that some of that other junk even out in the end.
    I probably won't watch b/c I know I can find something better to do w/my time--regardless of what it is. SotU speeches are awful.

I will believe it when I see it...

Remember, Obama is for "all of the above" on energy.

Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    Remember, Obama is for "all of the above" on energy.

Whatever...

His jobs policy is to raise taxes and increase regulation to a level that all jobs leave the states
    Immigration policy is to open the borders and let em pour in
    Energy policy is anything named solar or wind...

I'm afraid I'll be doing something more meaningful...like taking a dump and clipping my toenails. Jobs? Haven't heard that in what, four months? Getting the economy going? What, another shit sandwich? More solar panels, electric cars, and algae? Those watching are welcome to play the "I, me, my" drinking game. Good luck on making it past 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    Whatever...

His jobs policy is to raise taxes and increase regulation to a level that all jobs leave the states
    Immigration policy is to open the borders and let em pour in
    Energy policy is anything named solar or wind...
    It will be interesting to hear his spin on energy...just last year he was jumping on the NG bandwagon which amounted to....

Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    It will be interesting to hear his spin on energy...just last year he was jumping on the NG bandwagon which amounted to....
    They could actually help a transition to NG in the transportation sector...

Nobody wants to build the cars because there are very few filling stations...and no one wants to build a filling station since there are no cars...

Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    They could actually help a transition to NG in the transportation sector...

Nobody wants to build the cars because there are very few filling stations...and no one wants to build a filling station since there are no cars...
    He could have been helping NG on transportation for the last 4 years instead of advocating ethanol, mandating its inclusion and paying for numerous distribution sites.

Now Chu is leaving and I wonder if he is going to take that 50 miles per gallon battery with him that he promised Obama to be ready in 3 more years?

No need to worry about addressing the debt in his speech. San Fran Nan sez we don't have a spending problem just a revenue problem.

I bet we hear more about boondoggle high speed trains

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/11/te...-rep-stockman/

Okay, it could get interesting. Nugent will be respectful though I'm sure--after though he will get lippy I'm sure.

Ted Nugent to attend State of the Union as guest of Rep. Stockman

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/11/te...#ixzz2Kcv4ezox

If speeches fixed shit he could be the best president ever... His actions are not always mirrored to his words.
    3 users like Aurora's post: OU48A, Sooner 4 Life, Sooner5030

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    If speeches fixed shit he could be the best president ever... His actions are not always mirrored to his words.
    yep

Obama urging 'investments' in State of the Union, despite national mood souring on spending

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2KdTFxDvi

Shocker! O thinks spending more is a good idea... Definition of insanity anyone?

This is on Tuesday? Damn it, that's the night I sort my socks or something. But the "good" thing is, I've listened to one Obama speech, so I've basically heard them all.
    The following users like this post: Irish_Sooner

Originally Posted by kssooner View Post
    This is on Tuesday? Damn it, that's the night I sort my socks or something. But the "good" thing is, I've listened to one Obama speech, so I've basically heard them all.
    Yea I am in the same boat... not to mention that also I did not OD or ingest any poisonous substances so I have no real need to vomit this evening so I am going to pass as well

Senator Rand Paul
    An excerpt from tonight's Tea Party response to the State of the Union:

"We are the party that embraces hard work and ingenuity, therefore we must be the party that embraces the immigrant who wants to come to America for a better future. We must be the party who sees immigrants as assets, not liabilities. We must be the party that says, 'If you want to work, if you want to become an American, we welcome you."

Senator Rand Paul
    More from the Tea Party response I will be giving at 10:30 p.m. ET:

"Both parties have been guilty of spending too much, of protecting their sacred cows, of backroom deals in which everyone up here wins, but every taxpayer loses. It is time for a new bipartisan consensus. It is time Democrats admit that not every dollar spent on domestic programs is sacred. And it is time Republicans realize that military spending is not immune to waste and fraud."

Just saw Dirty Harry out there talking about the SOTU. Same old shit just with a different shovel.

Word is last minute revisions are being made to include "earlier tonight we got Chris Dorner".

Always a great day to hear the President speak
    The following users like this post: OnlyOneOklahoma

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    Always a great day to hear the President speak
    Yes, I like his words, not always pleased with his actions.

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    That's because most of what he says he doesn't believe.

Obama to tackle jobs, energy and immigration during his State of the Union addr

You guys need to get a life. When it was Reagan and Clinton I'd still rather watch anything else.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    You guys need to get a life. When it was Reagan and Clinton I'd still rather watch anything else.
    You can catch the sound bites tomorrow. Or better yet read about it. Saves you from having to listen. And I'm with you. I never listen.

Seriously. Who is excited about watching a speech? The cult of personality around this guy is creepy.

And we have a Gabby Giffords sighting in the crowd. Wonder if she's in the box along with Mooch and all the other props?

The last night of Westminster is on USA.

I tried to watch a Bush SOTU in the early 2000s when I started to get interested in politics, but quickly learned I'd rather watch paint dry. It's all about the applause lines, no substance. I don't care who's giving the SOTU, I will never watch one.
    They're pretty meaningless/empty words anyway.

I do get a kick out of watching the SOTU responses from the other side sometimes. It reminds me of this moment in "My Cousin Vinny":

What else am I supposed to do? I have to work tomorrow so I can't get blitzed. I guess I could go play FIFA or Assassins Creed 4, but I would rather stay informed.

What else am I supposed to do? I have to work tomorrow so I can't get blitzed. I guess I could go play FIFA or Assassins Creed 4, but I would rather stay informed.
    The fact that you think watching the SOTU is going to keep you informed shows how ****ing clueless you are.

Cool post Sancho, on topic and contributing as always.

I never like this stupid shot of the Sargent at Arms pushing the cameraman down the aisle. It is awkward to see some sweaty face consuming the left third of my 50 inch.

Supreme Court in attendance. Thanks again, John, for that critical vote.

Cool post Sancho, on topic and contributing as always.
    His derision aside, he's right. It's a political stop, that's it. Plus, they're horribly boring. Far Cry, FIFA, hell, Adventure on the 2600 is a better usage of time.

What's with the green ribbons?

Supreme Court in attendance. Thanks again, John, for that critical vote.
    Wonder if O will disrespect them this year?

The fasces on the rear wall of the House always freak me out.

Wonder if O will disrespect them this year?
    Seriously, they deserved to be called out for that shit decision on Citizen's United.

Yes, domestic energy.

What exactly are you going to stay informed about? A bunch of bullshit he doesn't believe and a bunch of bullshit he does but no one else wants?

Supreme Court in attendance. Thanks again, John, for selling out.

Watching the dog show waiting to see if they have an OOO lapdog in the show.

Seriously, they deserved to be called out for that shit decision on Citizen's United.
    No they didn't, any more than O deserved to be called out with the 'You lie' fiasco.

Oh shit, Medicare reform.

Tom Coburn looks like Colonel Sanders. WTF.

Tax reform, please dear God.

Tax reform, please dear God.
    Has he talked about "investments" yet?

Infrastructure improvements.