Gay Pejoratives vs. Racial Slurs

Posted 619 day(s) ago by DIB4363 Views 232 Replies
Page 5 of 5 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by keefsmangledfingers View Post
    Pretending you're something you're not on the internet is bad form.
    So are you implying that 180 is TB?

Originally Posted by 180WestBrooks View Post
    Yes, language evolves and old words take on new meanings for any number of reasons. But, as of today in the evolution of American English, the primary usage of the words gay and / have homosexual connotations. By calling out someone's stupidity by saying, "Don't be a ." or "That's gay.", one is equating gayness with stupidity. That is the issue. If someone is gay, call him/her gay. If someone says something stupid, call his/her statement stupid.
    That's fine. And I can say the exact same thing about the word gay taking on a connotation of "stupid" by a younger generation.

Is one more correct than the other? If so, why?

Originally Posted by PokeJ View Post
    So are you implying that 180 is TB?
    No, I'm hoping he's Daniel Tosh.
    The following users like this post: SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC

I'm not Daniel Tosh. And, I actually know a gay Roger.
    Is he jolly as well as gay?
    The following users like this post: 180WestBrooks

Originally Posted by Dexa View Post
    That's fine. And I can say the exact same thing about the word gay taking on a connotation of "stupid" by a younger generation.

Is one more correct than the other? If so, why?
    I'm not saying one is more or less correct in a current usage context. I'm just saying using "gay" in place of stupid is offensive.

I'm not saying one is more or less correct in a current usage context. I'm just saying using "gay" in place of stupid is offensive.

your opinion is super gay
    The following users like this post: Adrian

180 appears to be alternating between witty replies and serious replies. That's so confusing on this board.

Random quote that doesnt apply to my question

Did you only know Roger was gay because he was introduced that way?

I'm sure it is. I just find it absurd that when someone doesn't want to be called something that is offensive to them (such as ) that when the word is changed to be offensive in another way.. the first group is still offended by it.

I will say that since I am a heterosexual, white male, I honestly cannot begin to understand what it feels like to be descriminated against based on race, sex, or sexual orientation. Like I said.. I do try to avoid using offensive language, especially in company of those who might feel strongly about the words. It still doesn't change how I feel about the war on words.
    The following users like this post: McRib

Offensive to homosexuals or stupid people?
    The following users like this post: 180WestBrooks

I'm sure it is. I just find it absurd that when someone doesn't want to be called something that is offensive to them (such as ) that when the word is changed to be offensive in another way.. the first group is still offended by it.

I will say that since I am a heterosexual, white male, I honestly cannot begin to understand what it feels like to be descriminated against based on race, sex, or sexual orientation. Like I said.. I do try to avoid using offensive language, especially in company of those who might feel strongly about the words. It still doesn't change how I feel about the war on words.
    You haven't tried applying for a government job lately.
    The following users like this post: Keef

The only thing gayer than the name Roger is the people who use the word "roger" as a verb.

Originally Posted by TyoungPunch View Post
    The only thing gayer than the name Roger is the people who use the word "roger" as a verb.
    Sounds like someone needs a good rogering...
    The following users like this post: stev

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    Sounds like someone needs a good rogering...
    Roger that

Originally Posted by ltsooner View Post
    You haven't tried applying for a government job lately.
    I'm still .mil

I have 11 more years to worry about that.

I'm with you on hetero, white male thing.

But I differ on the old offensive word being used in a new offensive way thought. Regardless if the new "" means stupid, it still harkens back to the old "", thus equating the two to some extent. I don't think most here (or elsewhere) using "" as stupid intend it in any homophobic sense. But, the fact is "" will never be completely disassociated from homosexuality, so calling out a stupid statement with "Don't be a ." is offensive to an entire subset of the population that is no stupider or smarter than other subsets.

Saying someone is "stupid" implies inferiority of smartness. By equating "stupid" and "gay", one equates homosexuality with inferiority. If a = b and b = c, then b = c.

I was guilty of using "" and all the other gayish words in place of stupid when I was younger. I still do among friends who know exactly where I stand on the issue. But, the fact that an entire generation and (it appears) the next use it in the stupid context doesn't make it any less offensive. And, I don't think that usage in a public forum is a proper one.

Roger Roger, what's your vector Victor?

Surely you can't be serious?

-I am, and don't call me Shirley!!!

I was guilty of using "" and all the other gayish words in place of stupid when I was younger. I still do among friends who know exactly where I stand on the issue. But, the fact that an entire generation and (it appears) the next use it in the stupid context doesn't make it any less offensive. And, I don't think that usage in a public forum is a proper one.
    You sound like a liberal version of ...

Quit hating, hater.

I'm with you on hetero, white male thing.

But I differ on the old offensive word being used in a new offensive way thought. Regardless if the new "" means stupid, it still harkens back to the old "", thus equating the two to some extent. I don't think most here (or elsewhere) using "" as stupid intend it in any homophobic sense. But, the fact is "" will never be completely disassociated from homosexuality, so calling out a stupid statement with "Don't be a ." is offensive to an entire subset of the population that is no stupider or smarter than other subsets.

Saying someone is "stupid" implies inferiority of smartness. By equating "stupid" and "gay", one equates homosexuality with inferiority. If a = b and b = c, then b = c.

No. The old "" meant cigarette, not homosexual. If the original meaning of the word were offensive, like most racial slurs, then yes, using it in an fashion would be inherently offensive.

Re: Gay Pejoratives vs. Racial Slurs

Political correctness has warped some of you.

****gots are apparently pretty tasty!!

Re: Gay Pejoratives vs. Racial Slurs

Originally Posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
    I once saw an OU blonde with a black ****. Far from being offended, I was distantly aroused.
    Twas not moi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    The following users like this post: Mississippi Sooner

Originally Posted by Palmbeachsooner View Post
    Political correctness has warped some of you.
    Political correctness has kept society from having an honest conversation about race, gays, religion, etc... We are too worried about offending and being offended to stop caring about whether people are gay, straight, black, white and so on.
    2 users like ltsooner's post: McRib, oucub23

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    The thing is what about those who don't give a rip and aren't offended and don't quickly to label something racist or homophobic? Are those the true homophobes you're speaking of or what?

Whether people want to admit it or not . . . you can choose to not be offended by everything you disagree with in life.
    I thought I was fairly clear that I'm not offended; however if you walk around calling gay men "s" and think we all love to dress in drag, or refer to gay women as "****s" and they all dress in flannel and wear mullets; you might be a homophobe. You can also use homophobe words and have homophobic stereotypes without being a homophobe. Usually education can "cure" that.

May I ask why one group of people gets to claim a word and use it as their own, and if another attempts to, it's now a problem?

I ask this because I used to say "that's gay" a lot. It never meant "that is homosexual" it was synonymous with "that's stupid." I understand how homosexuals could still be offended by this because you could easily connect gay with stupid, even if that wasn't the intent.

I eventually stopped saying it for no other reason than I got older and it sounds weird, and I'm probably too old to say "that's gay" or to call someone a on call of duty.

With that being said, when you're around people who use these terms, and they do not associate it with homosexuals, do they offend you? And if so, why? (not people who call you those names specifically, people who just freely use them for other than their currently interpreted meaning)
    Words are like that. Language evolves.

Originally Posted by suncoastsooner View Post
    Since we shouldn't use is the term "**** Gobbler" acceptable? A friend wants to know . . .
    Not all of us are **** gobblers; some are strictly tops; some are only into... I won't overshare too much.

Originally Posted by soonersmc View Post
    I am offended that Brokeback is gay (for real?) and has picked the name of a movie that is held up as the standard for homosexual joking, and used it as his own

What kind of self respecting gay person would pick a derogatory name, and then judge from his high horse? Hos fantastic white high horse, with flowing robes and a matching scarf.
    Brokeback Mountain is an academy award winning movie and not the "standard for homosexual joking" in the gay community. I identify with one of the characters. It's the name I chose, get over it. No flowing robes; too cumbersome, but a matching scarf is always a must.

Are you really suggesting we go around calling gay people "gay"? You go first.
    Yes.

Originally Posted by soonersmc View Post
    Are you Daniel Tosh?

Also, nobody named Roger is gay, please edit your example.
    All gay men are named Mark, Rick or Steve and all gay men have track lighting...

Political correctness has kept society from having an honest conversation about race, gays, religion, etc... We are too worried about offending and being offended to stop caring about whether people are gay, straight, black, white and so on.
    Some political correction is a good thing. "Do unto others..." and what not. Yes some people make a living out of being offended and would get more out of life if they didn't sweat the small stuff.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Originally Posted by brokebacksooner View Post
    I thought I was fairly clear that I'm not offended; however if you walk around calling gay men "s" and think we all love to dress in drag, or refer to gay women as "****s" and they all dress in flannel and wear mullets; you might be a homophobe. You can also use homophobe words and have homophobic stereotypes without being a homophobe. Usually education can "cure" that.

Not all of us are **** gobblers; some are strictly tops; some are only into... I won't overshare too much.

Brokeback Mountain is an academy award winning movie and not the "standard for homosexual joking" in the gay community. I identify with one of the characters. It's the name I chose, get over it. No flowing robes; too cumbersome, but a matching scarf is always a must.

Yes.

All gay men are named Mark, Rick or Steve and all gay men have track lighting...

Some political correction is a good thing. "Do unto others..." and what not. Yes some people make a living out of being offended and would get more out of life if they didn't sweat the small stuff.
    PROOF!!!!! PROOOOOOOOOOOOF!!!!!
    100% confirmed. Brokeback is a big mo. And I adore him.

Also? BbM is a great short story that won a couple of literature awards & was Pulitzer finalist.
    The following users like this post: brokebacksooner

MO?

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    MO?
    Homo

Homo
    And I love you! You forgot that part!
    The following users like this post: brokebacksooner

Yes.

so I take it you're not a power bottom eh?

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    so I take it you're not a power bottom eh?
    Well actually.....

Well actually.....
    You are officially the best homosexual on the board.

180 is a reluctant bottom at best.
    3 users like TyoungPunch's post: 180WestBrooks, Gary Manilow, suncoastsooner

Well actually.....
    I learned this from IASIP so correct me if I'm wrong but a power bottom is a bottom that can take a tremendous amount of power

You are officially the best homosexual on the board.

180 is a reluctant bottom at best.
    It's easy to be the best when competing against no one (or Bounce; same difference).

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    I learned this from IASIP so correct me if I'm wrong but a power bottom is a bottom that can take a tremendous amount of power
    Something like that...