OT: Places to hoop in Edmond

Posted 679 day(s) ago 677 Views 9 Replies

OT: Places to hoop in Edmond

Hey, new to the board. Just wondering if you guys living around the Edmond/North OKC area can refer a gym to join for some pickup bball games.

Recently moved to Edmond and had a membership at Transformations but they seem to always have kids games going on. Went and played up at Gold's by Quail a couple of times but it was way too crowded.

Thanks in advance.

I like to hula hoop. Shoot me a PM.

Come on over to my house, shirts and skins, no fouls, things get dirty.

Golds is best
    Try lighthouse too

Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    Come on over to my house, shirts and skins, no fouls, things get dirty.
    In before VIP

Lighthouse is the best for adults. If you want tougher competition go buy a membership at the UCO Wellness Center

Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    Golds is best
    Try lighthouse too
    Golds is great, but if you show up after 6pm you'll be waiting forever to get in games...and when you get in you better win or you'll be back to waiting

there are like 20-30 people in there at that time and it stays that way for hours

go at 330 and you can play full court for a couple hours before it gets out of hand and you won't have to wait as much

Man its dissappointing how few places there are with good pickup games in the OKC area.
    I live in Norman and have an alumni membership to the Huffman just for bball because there's really nowhere else worth a shit. That big church off of I-35 in Moore has a nice gym, and its free with two courts and two racquetball courts, but I've been there a couple times and there are some scrubs playing ball and it gets a bit too rowdy for a church if there are decent players, and they don't care that they are disrespectful to the church since its free and all. They had the bball courts closed for a month a while back because dudes kept cussing and fighting and stuff.

I've played in leagues at the lighthouse but I don't really like it because the floor sucks balls. Most gyms like Gold's have just one court so it gets too crowded to be worthwhile.

Fortunately my work schedule allows me to take a credit hour in the middle of the day and work a credit hour at the end of the day. I have a membership at the YMCA and usually head out at about 10:30 AM to play all on some nearly empty courts. Usually some guys will show up if I want to play 3 on 3 or a full-court game. This brings up one of my pet peeves. I pay monthly dues at the YMCA, yet I'm denied access to the basketball courts during the evenings for about 4 months. I support youth basketball, but can somebody tell me what good it does a 10-year-old to be practicing basketball at 10 PM on a school night? This is strictly for the parents ego.

Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Fortunately my work schedule allows me to take a credit hour in the middle of the day and work a credit hour at the end of the day. I have a membership at the YMCA and usually head out at about 10:30 AM to play all on some nearly empty courts. Usually some guys will show up if I want to play 3 on 3 or a full-court game. This brings up one of my pet peeves. I pay monthly dues at the YMCA, yet I'm denied access to the basketball courts during the evenings for about 4 months. I support youth basketball, but can somebody tell me what good it does a 10-year-old to be practicing basketball at 10 PM on a school night? This is strictly for the parents ego.
    Yeah, that's why I quit going to Transformations there in Edmond. Seemed like every time I tried to go shoot there was a kid's game going on in both courts. If that is the case, they shouldn't be able to advertise their athletic facility as having basketball courts. Like saying we have an Olympic size swimming pool but failing to fill it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't think about UCO, I may check it out. I am not looking for any organized leagues, I figured that's what the majority of games at the Lighthouse would be.

Someone could make a killing if they just opened up a few indoor courts around the Edmond area and devoted them to pickup games charging people a single monthly fee.