Jakie Shipp Out?

Posted 625 day(s) ago 17842 Views 286 Replies
Results 1 to 50 of 287
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3
  1. #1

    Jakie Shipp Out?

    Saw this on FB
    Oklahoma: Sources tell me that Oklahoma defensive line coach Jackie Shipp is out. Story coming...
    http://www.coachingsearch.com/coachi...ch-ticker.html

  2. #2
    oorah_okie's Avatar
    Posts
    23,084
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Westeros

    Jakie Shipp Out?

    That shipp has sailed.
    2 users like oorah_okie's post: madillsoonerfan5353, SoonerSteve1


  3. #3
    LVSOONER15's Avatar
    Posts
    5,834
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gettin it done....

    Shipp set sail
    The following users like this post: SoonerSteve1


  4. #4
    I hate to say good-bye to a true Sooner, but I think it's time.
    2 users like Al F***n Swearingen's post: ab5sr, Lehmanfan


  5. #5
    SoonerLibertarian's Avatar
    Posts
    10,618
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    If true I guess not having Shipp and Patton on the recruiting show was a sign of things to come.

  6. #6
    If true, then good. It was time to get a younger coach that actually wants to recruit.
    The following users like this post: BayAreaSooner


  7. #7
    Mr. Pink's Avatar
    Posts
    1,035
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL

    Shipp, out!

  8. #8
    fdubzou's Avatar
    Posts
    7,687
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Juneau, Alaska

    Jakie Shipp Out?

    Thibodeaux.
    The following users like this post: OKCChuck


  9. #9
    Sabla's Avatar
    Posts
    1,299
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Parts Unknown

    Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    That shipp has sailed.
    Bazinga

  10. #10
    Adrian's Avatar
    Posts
    1,160
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North of Norman

    James Hale just said on KREF that Jackie Shipp is not going anywhere...

  11. #11
    MadMex's Avatar
    Posts
    2,819
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Liquor Sto'

    Anybody got a list o possible replacements?

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    James Hale just said on KREF that Jackie Shipp is not going anywhere...
    so it is true

  14. #14
    oorah_okie's Avatar
    Posts
    23,084
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Westeros

    Jakie Shipp Out?

    Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    If true I guess not having Shipp and Patton on the recruiting show was a sign of things to come.
    Then hopefully Kittle becomes the third sacrificial lamb. Speaking of lamb, how often do you think that's on the menu in Tuscany?
    The following users like this post: TittiezBeerNSoonerFB


  15. #15
    oorah_okie's Avatar
    Posts
    23,084
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Westeros

    Jakie Shipp Out?

    Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    James Hale just said on KREF that Jackie Shipp is not going anywhere...
    Jeff Capel was also not going anywhere per Hale.
    5 users like oorah_okie's post: Rowdyroady, SoonerChef, soonirvana, Straz1999, Wacky Paki


  16. #16
    Tug Medick's Avatar
    Posts
    797
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Buttram Road

    Shipp to Shippensburg?

  17. #17
    Adrian's Avatar
    Posts
    1,160
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North of Norman

    Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Jeff Capel was also not going anywhere per Hale.

    Well, his career isn't going anywhere...
    The following users like this post: Soonerp


  18. #18
    SoonerLibertarian's Avatar
    Posts
    10,618
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    James Hale just said on KREF that Jackie Shipp is not going anywhere...
    Which means he's gone for sure.
    The following users like this post: ab5sr


  19. #19
    It's so odd that we're letting Shipp and Patton go and retaining Bruce Skittle Kittle. All rainbows, no sunshine. Hopefully this WV OL coach gets the entire line and create some cohesive excellence and Kittle can pound concrete.

  20. #20
    Comanche's Avatar
    Posts
    580
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Euless, Tx


  21. #21
    Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    It's so odd that we're letting Shipp and Patton go and retaining Bruce Skittle Kittle. All rainbows, no sunshine. Hopefully this WV OL coach gets the entire line and create some cohesive excellence and Kittle can pound concrete.
    First, am I the only one who thinks that Shipp deserves to stay?

    Second, I think that Kittle stays at OU, but is reassigned to a leading position in the about-to-be created personnel department. Then, the new OL coach will get control of the entire OL. Either that, or Kittle will only coach TEs and FBs.

    Third, James Patton was a good coach and a great person who was very popular with the players. He was a players' coach.
    2 users like Sooner 76's post: BajaOklahoma, Vicarious


  22. #22
    Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    First, am I the only one who thinks that Shipp deserves to stay?

    Second, I think that Kittle stays at OU, but is reassigned to a leading position in the about-to-be created personnel department. Then, the new OL coach will get control of the entire OL. Either that, or Kittle will only coach TEs and FBs.

    Third, James Patton was a good coach and a great person who was very popular with the players. He was a players' coach.
    Absolutely not. I think Patton deserves the opportunity to stay. Yes, DT has been down the last two years and I have wondered why it takes Shipp's players so long to become ready to contribute, but the man has recruited well for us and developed some monsters at DT. I'm very surprised if he's shown the door and find it unfair.

    And no position should be under Skittle Kittle's control.

    Agreed.

  23. #23
    Mr. Pink's Avatar
    Posts
    1,035
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL

    Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Absolutely not. I think Patton deserves the opportunity to stay. Yes, DT has been down the last two years and I have wondered why it takes Shipp's players so long to become ready to contribute, but the man has recruited well for us and developed some monsters at DT. I'm very surprised if he's shown the door and find it unfair.

    And no position should be under Skittle Kittle's control.

    Agreed.
    In the last several years, who are these people you speak of?
    The following users like this post: madillsoonerfan5353


  24. #24
    Jackie Shipp sleeps with the fishes

  25. #25
    SoonerDan74012's Avatar
    Posts
    8,192
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

    Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    In the last several years, who are these people you speak of?
    **Crickets**

  26. #26
    Patton: Was only able to run the ball worth a damn once against a Top 50 defense: 2012 TCU

    Shipp: Hasn't fielded a defensive tackle of starter quality for a program like Oklahoma in the 2010, 2011, and 2012 seasons and next season is based solely on hope and optimism of getting a fresh start with a new defensive tackle unit.

    It is/was time for both of them to go.
    2 users like zcaa0g's post: Sooner 4 Life, soonerUthenMe


  27. #27
    So Shipp and Patton are out (no complaints from me) but Kittle who has barely any coaching experience gets to stay?
    The following users like this post: Dr Sleep


  28. #28
    Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    In the last several years, who are these people you speak of?
    In the last few, there are probably no "monsters" but that can't erase what he had accomplished at the position. And I'm not arguing that it wasn't time for a reassessment of Shipp's role on this staff, but I am saying that pushing him out and letting Kittle remain on staff is borderline lunacy.
    The following users like this post: Vicarious


  29. #29
    Mr. Pink's Avatar
    Posts
    1,035
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL

    Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    In the last few, there are probably no "monsters" but that can't erase what he had accomplished at the position. And I'm not arguing that it wasn't time for a reassessment of Shipp's role on this staff, but I am saying that pushing him out and letting Kittle remain on staff is borderline lunacy.
    How about if Kittle is returned to stalking people on Facebook, escorting people around on campus tours, and conducting Sunday school? That make you happy?

  30. #30
    Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    So Shipp and Patton are out (no complaints from me) but Kittle who has barely any coaching experience gets to stay?
    right, something better happen along the lines of Kittle to recruiting coordinator and we get another coach to replace him

  31. #31
    Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    So Shipp and Patton are out (no complaints from me) but Kittle who has barely any coaching experience gets to stay?
    Where is there a report saying Kittle will be staying? All of this stuff is fluid and were not going to find out everything at the same time. Patience man, patience.

  32. #32
    Also if Shipp is out, I wonder if we go after a 3-4 DL coach? Give that guy the entire 3 man front, have BJW coach OLB, Kish coach ILB, and Mike coach the secondary?

  33. #33
    If Shipp is out, you have to look at the multiple suspensions his guys suffered last season, the lack of development for McFarland during his career, and the fact that we've really only had one elite DT since about 2004 (Gerald McCoy). Throw into the mix that he missed out on a highly rated OU legacy at DT this season, and that's a lot of heat on a guy at a crucial position on the coaching staff.

    I'd hate to see him go, and I hope that if he does, there aren't any bridges burnt with the program. Shipp is a great Sooner.

  34. #34
    We needed to get more physical on both lines. Changes were made. I like Patton and Shipp, I think they gave their best, but games are won and lost in the trenches and the bottom line is OU hasn't been good enough on either line. Kittle obviously is not a real coach and I think Kish is Mike's AA sponsor, so those guys get passes.
    2 users like srburkhart's post: BAMFSooner, The


  35. #35
    Originally Posted by huntinsooner View Post
    Also if Shipp is out, I wonder if we go after a 3-4 DL coach? Give that guy the entire 3 man front, have BJW coach OLB, Kish coach ILB, and Mike coach the secondary?
    I like it.
    The following users like this post: huntinsooner


  36. #36
    SoonerLibertarian's Avatar
    Posts
    10,618
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    Originally Posted by Camel at Sea View Post
    If Shipp is out, you have to look at the multiple suspensions his guys suffered last season, the lack of development for McFarland during his career, and the fact that we've really only had one elite DT since about 2004 (Gerald McCoy). Throw into the mix that he missed out on a highly rated OU legacy at DT this season, and that's a lot of heat on a guy at a crucial position on the coaching staff.

    I'd hate to see him go, and I hope that if he does, there aren't any bridges burnt with the program. Shipp is a great Sooner.
    Granger was a really good DT when healthy which was rare.

  37. #37
    Mike Stoops drinks? No way!

  38. #38
    Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    It's so odd that we're letting Shipp and Patton go and retaining Bruce Skittle Kittle. All rainbows, no sunshine. Hopefully this WV OL coach gets the entire line and create some cohesive excellence and Kittle can pound concrete.
    Best post I've seen in awhile. You must have a true understanding of the program. I like that you know Bruce's Skittles nickname. He's quite the liberal and motivational quote everywhere in the office type. Players & staff definitely talk about him plenty.

  39. #39
    Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    Granger was a really good DT when healthy which was rare.
    Rare. And he was another guy who got suspended in a critical spot for us.

  40. #40
    Originally Posted by huntinsooner View Post
    Where is there a report saying Kittle will be staying? All of this stuff is fluid and were not going to find out everything at the same time. Patience man, patience.
    Bob only fires (I use that term loosely) guys who will land on their feet and usually doesn't announce it until they've found alternative employment. No other program in CFB would have hired Kittle two years ago and I doubt that has changed.

  41. #41
    Originally Posted by TexasSucks View Post
    Bob only fires (I use that term loosely) guys who will land on their feet and usually doesn't announce it until they've found alternative employment. No other program in CFB would have hired Kittle two years ago and I doubt that has changed.
    There's a new recruiting coordinator position, well positions, where guys like Kittle or Mangino can be apart of the OU program without being coaches. The position starts this summer I think? It's the best solution for Bob's friends that he can't/shouldn't have on staff as a coach.

    Hopefully he moves Kittle to that role and goes out and hires a TE/FB coach and gives Bedenbaugh the entire OL.
    The following users like this post: greensooner


  42. #42
    Originally Posted by Sooner 76 View Post
    First, am I the only one who thinks that Shipp deserves to stay?

    Second, I think that Kittle stays at OU, but is reassigned to a leading position in the about-to-be created personnel department. Then, the new OL coach will get control of the entire OL. Either that, or Kittle will only coach TEs and FBs.

    Third, James Patton was a good coach and a great person who was very popular with the players. He was a players' coach.
    Perhaps that was the crux of the problem. Sometimes 'foots' need to be broken off in some asses and 'players' coaches don't do that. All I know, is I am tired of OU football having to rely on a gimmick QB scheme to pick up 2 ****ing yards. And you know what? I don't give a damn how well they pass block.
    The following users like this post: sOUltrain65


  43. #43

    Jakie Shipp Out?

    Can we get some proven guy from the SEC? Please!

  44. #44
    Originally Posted by huntinsooner View Post
    There's a new recruiting coordinator position, well positions, where guys like Kittle or Mangino can be apart of the OU program without being coaches. The position starts this summer I think? It's the best solution for Bob's friends that he can't/shouldn't have on staff as a coach.

    Hopefully he moves Kittle to that role and goes out and hires a TE/FB coach and gives Bedenbaugh the entire OL.
    This x100

    Kittle would be better in that position and we can hire someone else to coach and close at the recruiting on those players

  45. #45
    Chris Wilson is no longer on the Miss State Website as a coach.

    http://www.hailstate.com/SportSelect...97&SPSID=90894

  46. #46
    DIB's Avatar
    Posts
    4,591
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tulsa

    Originally Posted by Boomerator View Post
    Chris Wilson is no longer on the Miss State Website as a coach.

    http://www.hailstate.com/SportSelect...97&SPSID=90894
    That. Would. Be. Awesome.

  47. #47
    Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Jeff Capel was also not going anywhere per Hale.
    Thank God he was wrong about that. Capel was the worst basketball coach in our history.
    2 users like jvrat's post: Soonerpsycho, SoonerSteve1


  48. #48
    Originally Posted by Boomerator View Post
    Chris Wilson is no longer on the Miss State Website as a coach.

    http://www.hailstate.com/SportSelect...97&SPSID=90894
    Chris Wilson just took the D-Line job at Georgia a few days ago

  49. #49
    Originally Posted by huntinsooner View Post
    There's a new recruiting coordinator position, well positions, where guys like Kittle or Mangino can be apart of the OU program without being coaches. The position starts this summer I think? It's the best solution for Bob's friends that he can't/shouldn't have on staff as a coach.

    Hopefully he moves Kittle to that role and goes out and hires a TE/FB coach and gives Bedenbaugh the entire OL.

    Not in the know by any means, but given Kittle's background (Pastor, Lawyer, coach, etc.) I'd imagine he's gotta have very good personal rapport building skills and some level of organizational skills. If that assumption is true, agree w/Huntinsooner he might be better fit heading up the recruiting front----the sending letters/texts/FB posts/mailings/etc. to recruits, setting up their visit, hosting recruits (besides the players, of course)---something that we've apparently been getting beat/outworked at per several accounts. Is that the recruiting coord position or something else?

  50. #50
    Originally Posted by Boomerator View Post
    Chris Wilson is no longer on the Miss State Website as a coach.

    http://www.hailstate.com/SportSelect...97&SPSID=90894
    but Shipp is still on our site as a coach

Similar Threads

  1. Jackie Shipp to ASU
    By Meni in forum Owen Field
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: April 8th, 2014, 10:44 PM
  2. Shipp, Kittle not returning to OU staff
    By Jenni 5 in forum Bob Barry's Press Box
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 12th, 2013, 09:00 PM
  3. Official Jackie Shipp sucks thread
    By psk2080 in forum Recruiting
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: December 23rd, 2012, 11:46 AM
  4. Has Shipp been fired yet?
    By Houston Sooner in forum Recruiting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 6th, 2012, 08:21 PM