IOC drops wrestling for 2020

Posted 585 day(s) ago 790 Views 18 Replies
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Rage IOC drops wrestling for 2020

    http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...mpics-18473870

    IOC leaders dropped wrestling from the Olympic program on Tuesday, a surprise decision that removes one of the oldest Olympic sports from the 2020 Games.

    The IOC executive board decided to retain modern pentathlon — the event considered most at risk — and remove wrestling instead from its list of 25 "core sports."

    The IOC board acted after reviewing the 26 sports on the current Olympic program. Eliminating one sport allows the International Olympic Committee to add a new sport to the program later this year.

    Wrestling, which combines freestyle and Greco-Roman events, goes back to the inaugural modern Olympics in Athens in 1896.

    "This is a process of renewing and renovating the program for the Olympics," IOC spokesman Mark Adams said. "In the view of the executive board, this was the best program for the Olympic Games in 2020. It's not a case of what's wrong with wrestling, it is what's right with the 25 core sports."

    Adams said the decision was made by secret ballot over several rounds, with members voting each time on which sport should not be included in the core group. IOC President Jacques Rogge did not vote.

    ======================

    Thats some horseshit

  2. #2
    Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...mpics-18473870

    IOC leaders dropped wrestling from the Olympic program on Tuesday, a surprise decision that removes one of the oldest Olympic sports from the 2020 Games.

    The IOC executive board decided to retain modern pentathlon — the event considered most at risk — and remove wrestling instead from its list of 25 "core sports."

    The IOC board acted after reviewing the 26 sports on the current Olympic program. Eliminating one sport allows the International Olympic Committee to add a new sport to the program later this year.

    Wrestling, which combines freestyle and Greco-Roman events, goes back to the inaugural modern Olympics in Athens in 1896.

    "This is a process of renewing and renovating the program for the Olympics," IOC spokesman Mark Adams said. "In the view of the executive board, this was the best program for the Olympic Games in 2020. It's not a case of what's wrong with wrestling, it is what's right with the 25 core sports."

    Adams said the decision was made by secret ballot over several rounds, with members voting each time on which sport should not be included in the core group. IOC President Jacques Rogge did not vote.

    ======================

    Thats some horseshit
    I really don't know if I want to watch the Olympics now. I wrestled back in high school and I know the dedication that these guys put into the sport. There isn't a professional league, so wrestlers work for a state title in HS, a national title in college, and if they're good enough a medal in the olympics. The olympics isn't about the "spirit of the games" or any of that crap. It's nothing but money. Like you said this is nothing but horseshit.

  3. #3
    This is a pretty terrible decision. Wrestling is a sport that spans numerous countries. In the past they justified dropping a sport due to lack of international appeal. Now it seems they are dropping a sport just because they don't personally like it and they want to make more $$$$$$ off the novelty of adding a new sport.

  4. #4
    I echo all of this. This is very sad....as stated above, there is not a professional level so ALL kids shoot for state title, national title, then make the olympic team. I can GUARANTEE you that I will not watch the olympics again. Sad, all of my boys wrestle and they won't have the "ultimate goal" to shoot for....

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    I echo all of this. This is very sad....as stated above, there is not a professional level so ALL kids shoot for state title, national title, then make the olympic team. I can GUARANTEE you that I will not watch the olympics again. Sad, all of my boys wrestle and they won't have the "ultimate goal" to shoot for....
    Where do all of your boys wrestle? I mean, any high school wrestlers?

  6. #6

    Re: IOC drops wrestling for 202

    Bad decision.

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by NortheastOK_Sooner View Post
    Where do all of your boys wrestle? I mean, any high school wrestlers?
    nope not highschool yet. I have a 13 year old that is really having a tough time, he is in 15 and under right now so he is getting beat on a little bit. My middle one has come on strong (10) this year and he has a chance to be top 3 in the state...he got runner up at USJOC and runner up at Amarillo Nationals. My little one is the freak of nature. 2x Honorable mention world wrestling team, 3X USJOC champ, 1X Reno World Champ, 2x Runner up Tulsa Nationals, 1x Tulsa National Champ, going for 3X state champ next weekend. He just turned 8! In local tourneys he wrestles 10 and under, he weights 41lbs, the lightest weight in D2 is 43lbs. so we bump him to 52 lbs and 10 and under and 49lbs in his division. Great little boy and a HUGE OU fan! Jarod Patterson is his hero...well him and Kyle Dake. Sorry for bragging...that will teach you a lesson! lol We live in Owasso, but wrestle for Collinsville. I would like for them to transfer to Collinsville but I dont think the Ex would go for it, but we will see.

  8. #8

    Re: IOC drops wrestling for 202

    Absolutely terrible decision!

  9. #9

    Re: IOC drops wrestling for 202

    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    nope not highschool yet. I have a 13 year old that is really having a tough time, he is in 15 and under right now so he is getting beat on a little bit. My middle one has come on strong (10) this year and he has a chance to be top 3 in the state...he got runner up at USJOC and runner up at Amarillo Nationals. My little one is the freak of nature. 2x Honorable mention world wrestling team, 3X USJOC champ, 1X Reno World Champ, 2x Runner up Tulsa Nationals, 1x Tulsa National Champ, going for 3X state champ next weekend. He just turned 8! In local tourneys he wrestles 10 and under, he weights 41lbs, the lightest weight in D2 is 43lbs. so we bump him to 52 lbs and 10 and under and 49lbs in his division. Great little boy and a HUGE OU fan! Jarod Patterson is his hero...well him and Kyle Dake. Sorry for bragging...that will teach you a lesson! lol We live in Owasso, but wrestle for Collinsville. I would like for them to transfer to Collinsville but I dont think the Ex would go for it, but we will see.
    You should be proud! Sounds like your boys are kicking ass.

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    nope not highschool yet. I have a 13 year old that is really having a tough time, he is in 15 and under right now so he is getting beat on a little bit. My middle one has come on strong (10) this year and he has a chance to be top 3 in the state...he got runner up at USJOC and runner up at Amarillo Nationals. My little one is the freak of nature. 2x Honorable mention world wrestling team, 3X USJOC champ, 1X Reno World Champ, 2x Runner up Tulsa Nationals, 1x Tulsa National Champ, going for 3X state champ next weekend. He just turned 8! In local tourneys he wrestles 10 and under, he weights 41lbs, the lightest weight in D2 is 43lbs. so we bump him to 52 lbs and 10 and under and 49lbs in his division. Great little boy and a HUGE OU fan! Jarod Patterson is his hero...well him and Kyle Dake. Sorry for bragging...that will teach you a lesson! lol We live in Owasso, but wrestle for Collinsville. I would like for them to transfer to Collinsville but I dont think the Ex would go for it, but we will see.
    Not bragging, just proud of them. I agree w/ you on them wrestling at Collinsville. I wrestled at Sand Springs, graduated in 2010 so I know some about the area teams. Collinsville has gotten good recently and I've heard great things about their coach. Owasso has never really had a great program. Some good wrestlers have come through, but Collinsville is a beast.

    All your sons sound like they're kicking ass. It's awesome to hear about a family that wrestle, nothing better in my opinion. Tell them to keep up the good work and keep with it.

  11. #11
    I never wrestled and never really cared for it, but I have a lot of respect for those who do it. You can add and remove other sports to the Olympics but you can't touch Track and Field, Swimming, and Wrestling. Those are the three key ingredients to the Olympics. Hell it's been that way since we were counting years in BC for crying out loud. What's next? We're going to start playing baseball without the ball?

  12. #12
    Yeah, they should've taken on trap shooting or ping-pong this one is bullshit.

  13. #13
    I'm not even personally a fan of wrestling, but I understand it's significance and respect the dedication and hard work that goes into it. Just really sad to see this decision.

  14. #14
    Sucks for all the wrestlers... especially the guys at OSU. I don't follow wrestling but those guys are legit every year.

  15. #15
    KCRuf/Nek's Avatar
    Posts
    39,310
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Prairie Village, Ks.

    It's not a glamor sport. It's not sexy(But most of the sports aren't). I'd say it's not what the women watch but that would get me in trouble. Figure skating, gymnastics, diving all get played to death. Wrestling is popular all over the world. I find it odd that they choose to do this. some great stories have come from wrestling over the years. You would think with there being more than one channel that many sports could find a home. It can't be money. Hard to believe that horse jumping and rowing and rhythm gymnastics hold the world on the edge of it's seat. If you ask all wrestlers in college what the ultimate goal is and they'll tell you the Olympics.

    I wrestled and besides getting me in shape for other sports it teaches discipline and makes you a tougher person. Dum dium dum.

  16. #16
    Originally Posted by Sooner 4 Life View Post
    You should be proud! Sounds like your boys are kicking ass.
    thanks and I appreciate that....I am

  17. #17
    Originally Posted by NortheastOK_Sooner View Post
    Not bragging, just proud of them. I agree w/ you on them wrestling at Collinsville. I wrestled at Sand Springs, graduated in 2010 so I know some about the area teams. Collinsville has gotten good recently and I've heard great things about their coach. Owasso has never really had a great program. Some good wrestlers have come through, but Collinsville is a beast.

    All your sons sound like they're kicking ass. It's awesome to hear about a family that wrestle, nothing better in my opinion. Tell them to keep up the good work and keep with it.
    Sand Springs...I know alot of guys that wrestled there. Me I wrestled in Cushing and CVILLE was not any good back then..lol I am old graduated in 91. Owasso has all focus on baseball 1 then football 1A...and that is fine, but I would dance at my ex wifes wedding if she would let them go to Cville. Problem, I dont know how long Harding will be at Cville. I hear ALOT of schools want him and when his son graduates I am afraid he will leave...

  18. #18
    The little guy won his 3rd state championship in a row Saturday night, and my middle one got 4th. Proud of them!
    The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life


  19. #19
    nocalsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    1,851
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern California

    NOT SO FAST MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!




    ...and the world was right.

    The long fight for wrestling to remain in the Olympics in 2020 and 2024 is over.

    On Sunday, Wrestling won the final vote in Buenos Aires at the International Olympic Committee session over Baseball/Softball and Squash with 49 of the 95 votes.

    Tokyo, Here We Come!

    We’re not back. We never left.

    Long live Olympic Wrestling.


    USA Wrestling Press Release
    Gary Abbott, USAW

    Buenos Aires, Argentina (September 8, 2013) – The International Olympic Committee (IOC) today announced it voted the sport of wrestling to remain in the Olympic program as a provisional sport at the 2020 and 2024 Olympic Games.

    On the first vote, wrestling received 49 votes out of the 95 voters, receiving the majority of votes and winning on the first ballot.

    USA Wrestling and its Committee for the Preservation of Olympic Wrestling (CPOW) join our international wrestling federation FILA in expressing extreme gratitude and satisfaction following the IOC’s announcement.

    On Feb. 12, 2013, the IOC Executive Board recommended that wrestling not be included with the 25 Core Sports initiative, which is set to begin after the 2016 Olympic Games. The IOC allowed wrestling to join with other sports in the hopes of becoming a provisional sport of the 2020 and 2024 Olympic programs. On May 29, the IOC Executive Board selected wrestling for the short list of three sports for consideration by the IOC General Assembly today.

    “This is a great day for wrestling and for USA Wrestling. As a sport and an organization, we came together like never before to support the sport we love. I want to thank all who helped our cause, especially those from USA Wrestling state organizations and our grassroots community. You all have stepped up, with fundraising efforts, online activities, attendance at our big events and so many other important things. As a family, we showed our pride in wrestling, and have helped tell the story of our sport to the IOC and to the world,” said USA Wrestling President James Ravannack.

    “Now the work really starts for wrestling. We need to capitalize on the opportunity which we have received and continue to move the sport forward. Momentum is on our side. We must continue to be passionate and aggressive in promoting and improving wrestling in the United States and around the world. We also want to thank everybody from the U.S. wrestling community who has stepped up to support the Keep Olympic Wrestling movement,” said USA Wrestling Executive Director Rich Bender.

    “We are thrilled with the IOC decision today. Wrestling has been a significant part of the ancient and modern Olympics and we are pleased to be on the program for 2020 and 2024. The IOC has been fair and encouraging to us and we believe that there will be opportunities for us to again be one of the core sports and permanently on the program in the future. The Olympics has much to offer wrestling and wrestling adds greatly to the Olympic program. It is important to the millions of young wrestlers around the world—boys and girls--that we work to provide an opportunity for them to dream Olympic dreams, just as many of us did. And so we will continue the fight to become a core sport of the Olympic Games,” said Bill Scherr, Chairman of the Committee for the Preservation of Olympic Wrestling.

    “It's a great day for wrestling and a great day for the Olympics,” said Mike Novogratz, spokesman for the Committee for the Preservation of Olympic Wrestling.

    Although wrestling has retained its position in the 2020 and 2024 Olympic Games, the work of the USA Wrestling community is not finished. The mission of CPOW has been “to ensure that wrestling remains as a core sport of the Olympic Games.” This mission has not yet been achieved.

    The Keep Olympic Wrestling effort, led by CPOW in the United States, helped bring many positive changes and improvements to the sport. There has been great support and momentum for wrestling in its effort to remain on the Olympic program. The work to improve wrestling and expand its participation and impact here in the United States and around the world will continue, leading up to the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and beyond.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 11th, 2014, 02:50 PM
  2. Big 12 wrestling: Cowboys win Big 12 Wrestling Championship
    By Jenni 5 in forum Bob Barry's Press Box
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 10th, 2013, 01:50 AM
  3. IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics
    By Jenni 5 in forum Bob Barry's Press Box
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 12th, 2013, 11:30 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 28th, 2012, 07:30 PM

Tags for this Thread