California students suspended for chanting USA!!!

Posted 625 day(s) ago 907 Views 43 Replies

From another board:

CA HIGH SCHOOL DISCIPLINES STUDENTS FOR WEARING AMERICAN FLAG BANDANAS, CHANTING 'USA'

Last Wednesday, Camarillo High School administrators ordered students Austin Medeiros, Stefan Valenzuela, and their two friends to remove their American flag bandanas and suspended them after they led fellow students at a basketball game in "USA, USA" chants. Camarillo school officials felt those actions had "racial overtones."
    In a high school basketball game in California between Camarillo and Rio Mesa High School, the four friends wore patriotic American flag bandanas like they have always done.
    A Camarillo school official ordered them to either remove their bandanas or leave the game as a "precaution" since both schools have a significant number of Hispanic students. The students removed the bandanas and then led the diverse Camarillo high school students who were at the game in a "USA, USA" chant. For that, they were suspended. School officials later lifted the suspension.

Medeiros, one of the students who wore the American flag bandana, told the Ventura County Star that he and his friends are "very patriotic" and they have "always" worn the American flag bandanas.
    “I will always be proud of where I come from and what my flag represents,” he tweeted. “No matter what anyone tells me! I stand up for what I believe in!”

Gabe Soumakian, the superintendent of the Oxnard Union School District, told Fox News' Todd Starnes that the USA chants had "racial overtones" and this could be a "teachable moment" for the school. He also said the "USA" chant did not comply with California state athletic guidelines and noted, "it has to do with the fact that they are making a chant regarding that we are from the USA and you’re not. Whether that’s the implied intent, that’s the way it comes across."
    “We have a very diverse student body in the district,” Soumakian said. “As a superintendent I think we need to pursue this further. We need to work with teachers and students and the community about the concept of cultural proficiency.”

After the video of the diverse Camarillo student body chanting, "USA, USA," was posted on YouTube, commenters expressed their support for the four patriotic students.
    One commenter wrote, "I am absolutely dumbfounded that these proud American kids were singled out and punished for being patriotic ... If you don’t love this country … get out.”

As Starnes notes, in 2010, after a California high school banned a group of students from wearing American flag t-shirts on Cinco de May, a federal court ruled in favor of the school district, saying "concerns over possible violence justified censoring the pro-American message."

Starnes opined that he was proud to see young people display patriotism, writing that it made him "so proud to see young people, especially in California where anti-Americanism is rampant, take pride in their country and show it!"

Photo credit: Austin Medeiros Instagram account
    A teachable moment in California...

Meh, maybe stupid kids shouldn't create an inflammatory atmosphere.
    The following users like this post: OUMallen

Originally Posted by Dexa View Post
    Meh, maybe stupid kids shouldn't create an inflammatory atmosphere.
    Why should chanting USA IN THE US ever create an inflammatory atmosphere?
    4 users like okie52's post: BraveSooner, DHF, VoodooChild, Yatahaze

Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    Why should chanting USA IN THE US ever create an inflammatory atmosphere?
    Because it's no different than the argument of how the intent of vulgur words.

If I'm talking to my wife and I call her a **** jokingly.. should it be received the same way as it would if I were to call her a **** during a heated argument?

The reason people will be up in arms about this is because they were shouting USA USA USA.. even if the people sitting there could tell you that the INTENT of the chant was = to saying **** MEXICANS **** MEXICANS **** MEXICANS.

I was not there.. so I do not know. I would tend to assume that a bunch of teenagers were doing it to be ****s.. not to show some patriotic brothership or something.

edit: and I understand the kids weren't white, but I do not know if that changes the intent. I wouldn't think they'd have to be white or non-hispanic for it to matter.
    The following users like this post: OUMallen

Because it's no different than the argument of how the intent of vulgur words.

If I'm talking to my wife and I call her a **** jokingly.. should it be received the same way as it would if I were to call her a **** during a heated argument?

The reason people will be up in arms about this is because they were shouting USA USA USA.. even if the people sitting there could tell you that the INTENT of the chant was = to saying **** MEXICANS **** MEXICANS **** MEXICANS.

I was not there.. so I do not know. I would tend to assume that a bunch of teenagers were doing it to be ****s.. not to show some patriotic brothership or something.
    If Mexicans are going to take offense to USA USA USA being chanted in the USA then they should get their ****ing azzes out of here. The same goes for the school telling students to not wear "patriotic apparel"so it doesn't OFFEND Mexicans residing in the US. If that means **** you to Mexicans that are supposedly Americans then they shouldn't be living here. **** the doormat California, too.
    The following users like this post: JDShellnutt

If Mexicans are going to take offense to USA USA USA being chanted in the USA then they should get their ****ing azzes out of here. The same goes for the school telling students to not wear "patriotic apparel"so it doesn't OFFEND Mexicans residing in the US. If that means **** you to Mexicans that are supposedly Americans then they shouldn't be living here. **** the doormat California, too.
    I agree. **** them.

But.. if I was in charge of keeping the environment safe.. for all of the people there.. mexican, white, black.. young.. old.. I might just tell the kids: "Hey, we're proud of your patriotism.. how about we even have a GO USA day for you, but can you please avoid causing a confrontation in our fieldhouse that might cause collateral damage?"

So the superintendent doesnt think Hispanics can be Americans? Sounds like a racist to me.
    The following users like this post: suncoastsooner

I agree. **** them.

But.. if I was in charge of keeping the environment safe.. for all of the people there.. mexican, white, black.. young.. old.. I might just tell the kids: "Hey, we're proud of your patriotism.. how about we even have a GO USA day for you, but can you please avoid causing a confrentation in our fieldhouse that might cause collateral damage?"
    Why would the school with the chanting students that had their own large hispanic enrollment feel that their opponent would be offended by USA chants? I'm assuming the students did it to annoy the other school's students but why would they be annoyed? Is it because they are openly hostile to the US and assimilation into US society and prefer an allegiance to Mexico? Are those the kind of confrontations that we should seek to avoid in the USA? I understand your concern over potential violence but there is a point where these invading MFers should either head to their native home or accept the country they live in as home and toss their other allegiances aside. That supposedly is a requirement of becoming a citizen...placing the allegiance to the US above all countries.

Why would the school with the chanting students that had their own large hispanic enrollment feel that their opponent would be offended by USA chants? I'm assuming the students did it to annoy the other school's students but why would they be annoyed? Is it because they are openly hostile to the US and assimilation into US society and prefer an allegiance to Mexico? Are those the kind of confrontations that we should seek to avoid in the USA? I understand your concern over potential violence but there is a point where these invading MFers should either head to their native home or accept the country they live in as home and toss their other allegiances aside. That supposedly is a requirement of becoming a citizen...placing the allegiance to the US above all countries.
    Yeah, I totally agree with your position. If it's a public school and I have to host a sporting event against a school of kids that have some sort of patriotic animosity, I'll try to stop it before it even happens. Not because I agree, but because there are neutral parties involved that could be affected.

I'm sure if they just came out and said.. **** that school.. we're not going to play against them because of their view.. it would be seen just as bad. I'm sure it's a tough position to be in.

Mexicans take a lot of pride in being Mexican. They don't consider themselves to be Americans. That would be selling out. A few years ago I subbed for a few days in a California district that has a majority of Mexican students. It happened to be at the time when the illegals were protesting. Had some pretty interesting discussions and I really couldn't believe what I was hearing. At one point I told them "you guys live in America. You go to school here. Your parents work here. A lot of you were born here. Therefore, you are all Americans." Nuh uh, they all said. They are Mexicans.

The Mexicans make a point to let the white kids know they are Mexicans in just about everything they do. A Mexican that acts American or white is said to be white washed. It's a huge problem.

Sounds to me like this high school was just giving them a taste of their own medicine.
    4 users like Gonzo's post: Dexa, DHF, SoCaliSooner, Yatahaze

Yeah, I totally agree with your position. If it's a public school and I have to host a sporting event against a school of kids that have some sort of patriotic animosity, I'll try to stop it before it even happens. Not because I agree, but because there are neutral parties involved that could be affected.

I'm sure if they just came out and said.. **** that school.. we're not going to play against them because of their view.. it would be seen just as bad. I'm sure it's a tough position to be in.
    Well I recognize that violence could erupt from such a situation and there would be innocents involved. I'd probably carefully request some extra police presence now that Dorner has been eliminated.

Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Mexicans take a lot of pride in being Mexican. They don't consider themselves to be Americans. That would be selling out. A few years ago I subbed for a few days in a California district that has a majority of Mexican students. It happened to be at the time when the illegals were protesting. Had some pretty interesting discussions and I really couldn't believe what I was hearing. At one point I told them "you guys live in America. You go to school here. Your parents work here. A lot of you were born here. Therefore, you are all Americans." Nuh uh, they all said. They are Mexicans.

The Mexicans make a point to let the white kids know they are Mexicans in just about everything they do. A Mexican that acts American or white is said to be white washed. It's a huge problem.

Sounds to me like this high school was just giving them a taste of their own medicine.
    I like them getting a taste of their own medicine. How are things in California these days Gonzo?

I cannot wait for an unironic Nationalist Party to spin out of the right wing.

Dexa's got this one right.

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post

I can not wait for you to learn a new word.
    2 users like Sancho's post: Gonzo, okie52

I like my word I have been using it for a few years now.

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post

There's no chance of a nationalist party coming out of the left wing unless it was the Mexican Nationalist Party.

I like them getting a taste of their own medicine. How are things in California these days Gonzo?
    I'm no longer there. Back in OK for now. Oklahoma is home, but I tire of this place quickly lol. So I'm planning my next location. The wife and I are thinking Flagstaff. It's beautiful there. We spent a few days there last summer and fell in love with the whole area. I'm originally from PA so that's an option too.

But if CA is like it was when I left, it's crowded, over priced, full of illegal invaders, and the residence of my ex. I want no part of it.

I'm no longer there. Back in OK for now. Oklahoma is home, but I tire of this place quickly lol. So I'm planning my next location. The wife and I are thinking Flagstaff. It's beautiful there. We spent a few days there last summer and fell in love with the whole area. I'm originally from PA so that's an option too.

But if CA is like it was when I left, it's crowded, over priced, full of illegal invaders, and the residence of my ex. I want no part of it.
    Brother still lives in Dana Point and he is married to a legal hispanic. He hates the politics but loves the climate.

Brother still lives in Dana Point and he is married to a legal hispanic. He hates the politics but loves the climate.
    Dana Point is a beautiful place. I do miss a lot of things in CA: mountains, beaches, nightlife, music, etc. But the negatives out weigh all that.

Dana Point is a beautiful place. I do miss a lot of things in CA: mountains, beaches, nightlife, music, etc. But the negatives out weigh all that.
    The brother has come to the same conclusion as you...he's ready to leave but I don't know if he can ever get his wife out of there.

Flagstaff is great . . . we haven't been through there since 1999 or so, but really enjoyed getting to spend the weekend there when we live in Arizona. If my first job was in Flag I might not have left.
    The following users like this post: Gonzo

It seems that both sides need to calm down a bit. It was the "intent" that was dismissed not the chant. And for the other side, even if someone does chant USA USA USA in the USA...well suck it up. Or feel free to leave.

Cool Story Bro:

Spring break sophmore year in college we went to Cabo where we end up at a bar one night full of German Law students there on a semester abroad trip of some kind. Few hours into it we(about 14 of us) find one of my friends get into it with one of the Germans and he(a walkon D Lineman at OU) lits him up pretty good. Seeing that, a few of them decide to help their buddy out and we jump in as well. There's a bit of pushing and shoving amongst the two fairly innebriated groups during which someone starts chanting USA USA USA against the Germans......in Mexico. We follow suit in unison, that was enough to get all of us and a few of them thrown out. We chanted that all the way walking out the bar and then some outside. The Mexicans in the bar and in the patio area who had no idea what happened were a bit confused and amused at the same time.

/CSB.
    The following users like this post: Gonzo

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    Flagstaff is great . . . we haven't been through there since 1999 or so, but really enjoyed getting to spend the weekend there when we live in Arizona. If my first job was in Flag I might not have left.
    I've probably driven through Flagstaff 40 times when driving from LA to OKC or vice versa but never stopped to check out the town. Last summer we drove out to Las Vegas and the String Cheese Incident happened to be playing in Flagstaff. Being sort of a cheesehead I had to see them, so we decided to stop in flagstaff for a few days. Spent two nights in a hotel and one night in a tent camping out for the show. Got to look around the town and surrounding area and absolutely loved it. Had I discovered Flagstaff earlier, I'd probably still be there as well.

If I chant USA and you are offended that is YOUR choice. Not my fault.

If I come up and throw red white and blue paint on you, it is my fault you have red white and blue paint on you.

I'm sick and tired of everyone choosing to be offended. Bunch of losers need to stfu.
    3 users like htownSOONER's post: JDShellnutt, Sooner 4 Life, Sooner Bob

They suspended a couple of students in San Antonio a couple of years ago for doing this because they were taunting the mexican kids.

Re: California students suspended for chanting USA!!!

Originally Posted by azwe View Post
    They suspended a couple of students in San Antonio a couple of years ago for doing this because they were taunting the mexican kids.
    This. Prob same situation here

Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    So the superintendent doesnt think Hispanics can be Americans? Sounds like a racist to me.
    well hell, the ****er IS an Armenian.

Originally Posted by azwe View Post
    What was the taunt..." remember the Alamo"?

Cheap tacos.

I believe it was in the Prc that they suspended students for wearing red white and blue shirts on cinco de mayo because that day belonged to the hispanics.

I've probably driven through Flagstaff 40 times when driving from LA to OKC or vice versa but never stopped to check out the town. Last summer we drove out to Las Vegas and the String Cheese Incident happened to be playing in Flagstaff. Being sort of a cheesehead I had to see them, so we decided to stop in flagstaff for a few days. Spent two nights in a hotel and one night in a tent camping out for the show. Got to look around the town and surrounding area and absolutely loved it. Had I discovered Flagstaff earlier, I'd probably still be there as well.
    I remember watching Independence Day in the old Orpheum theater in downtown Flagstaff . . . one of the coolest places to see a show ever.

Originally Posted by htownSOONER View Post
    If I chant USA and you are offended that is YOUR choice. Not my fault.

If I come up and throw red white and blue paint on you, it is my fault you have red white and blue paint on you.

I'm sick and tired of everyone choosing to be offended. Bunch of losers need to stfu.

amen . . .

First Amendment.....?

Originally Posted by OUSchitzo View Post
    First Amendment.....?
    Doesn't exist in schools.

Ridiculous.

The chant was clearly started as a big "**** You" NOT to the Hispanic students, but to the administration who asked them to remove a ****ing american flag bandana.

IT'S A ****ING BANDANA. I mean, that's almost a banana but with a "d", that's how unoffensive that shit is.

It's simple, if you don't want a USA chant done to mock, try not to be a dumbass and ask a handful of teenage guys to remove a bandana for an entirely asinine reason.

...Granted, the media that reported this may have left out important information...but as reported here, the chant would have been easily avoided by not pissing off a handful of teenagers.

Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Try going to towns in Texas like Ozona with his attitude. Calling most of the Hispanics in that town Mexicans is an offense that could lead to you having an ice pick in your eye or shank in the back of your lungs. There's a lot of little towns in central and southern Texas where the Hispanics are quick to inform you they are not Mexicans but Texicans and their antecedents fought for Texas against Santa Ana in the Texas Revolution.

The people who live in those towns are also a lot more unkind to the illegals than most places by far. A lot of the border hoppers try to settle down in those areas because of the heavy Hispanic population and then won't be hired and get ran out of town.

Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Ridiculous.

The chant was clearly started as a big "**** You" NOT to the Hispanic students, but to the administration who asked them to remove a ****ing american flag bandana.

IT'S A ****ING BANDANA. I mean, that's almost a banana but with a "d", that's how unoffensive that shit is.

It's simple, if you don't want a USA chant done to mock, try not to be a dumbass and ask a handful of teenage guys to remove a bandana for an entirely asinine reason.

...Granted, the media that reported this may have left out important information...but as reported here, the chant would have been easily avoided by not pissing off a handful of teenagers.
    Or children should learn to respect their parents and teachers.

What was the taunt..." remember the Alamo"?
    It was the same USA, USA, USA chant except the students admitted to faculty that they did it to taunt the mexican kids.

****ing ridiculous, this country is in trouble

Or children should learn to respect their parents and teachers.
    What are you talking about?

The point is this: While the chant is absolutely overboard, it is silly to not place a significant blame at the feet of the school official who was clearly (And if you argue otherwise, I'm done with this conversation) way over-zealous in his attempt at political correctness.

Sure, blame the teenagers for being stupid and immature (ZOMG, they're the first ever)...but for the love of Quetzalcoatl: scrutinize, chastise, and patronize that dumb as a sack of rocks official. If you can't realize both the ridiculousness and potential risk of asking 4 teenage guys to remove a harmless patriotic bandana because it may be offensive, you not only should probably not be working in a High School, you also deserve the chant that came about.

I sincerely hope for the consistency of the official's (and therefore the school's) position, that there is a not a single damn American flag in that entire building. Too bad they're not...which goes to show you that often times, institutions of learning are full of people who don't have a clue what a valid, consistent and viable argument is.

Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    What are you talking about?

The point is this: While the chant is absolutely overboard, it is silly to not place a significant blame at the feet of the school official who was clearly (And if you argue otherwise, I'm done with this conversation) way over-zealous in his attempt at political correctness.

Sure, blame the teenagers for being stupid and immature (ZOMG, they're the first ever)...but for the love of Quetzalcoatl: scrutinize, chastise, and patronize that dumb as a sack of rocks official. If you can't realize both the ridiculousness and potential risk of asking 4 teenage guys to remove a harmless patriotic bandana because it may be offensive, you not only should probably not be working in a High School, you also deserve the chant that came about.

I sincerely hope for the consistency of the official's (and therefore the school's) position, that there is a not a single damn American flag in that entire building. Too bad they're not...which goes to show you that often times, institutions of learning are full of people who don't have a clue what a valid, consistent and viable argument is.
    Again.. You can say all these things.. And I will say that I agree with you.

I'm also not employeed as a school official there or anywhere for that matter. I do see it as a no-win situation, and I'd be damned if I'm going to lose my job because some children feel oppressed and antagonistic.

Again.. You can say all these things.. And I will say that I agree with you.

I'm also not employeed as a school official there or anywhere for that matter. I do see it as a no-win situation, and I'd be damned if I'm going to lose my job because some children feel oppressed and antagonistic.
    In this situation, I'd be for the guy losing his job that pandered to the kids that were feeling oppressed and antagonistic.

In this situation, I'd be for the guy losing his job that pandered to the kids that were feeling oppressed and antagonistic.
    Yeah it's a tough situation to be in.