Memorable Moment

Posted 531 day(s) ago by Soonerlife3210 Views 71 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2

vCash

One play I will always remember was the tipped TD catch by Jermaine Gresham vs. OSU in 2008. That play just represents Sooner Magic to the fullest degree! Too many plays to choose my favorite, but I definitely love that one.
    The following users like this post: Stein7495

I know everybody remembers James Allen in this game, but J. Jackson had a HUGE game that day
    The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life

vCash

Originally Posted by Keller Sooner View Post
    Little Joe Washington's punt return against Southern Cal was very memorable. I kept yelling at the tv, Get down Joe! Get down Joe! He looked like he ran 75 yards and wound up losing two or three. Unbelievable.
    You may be thinking about a different return or a different year. Joe made that return against USC in 1973. And, despite the national implications of the game, and the prime time kickoff, the game wasn't televised. OU was on probation, and wasn't able to appear on TV.

Originally Posted by dog-knee View Post
    You may be thinking about a different return or a different year. Joe made that return against USC in 1973. And, despite the national implications of the game, and the prime time kickoff, the game wasn't televised. OU was on probation, and wasn't able to appear on TV.
    I think it was televised. The probation was in place that year for scholarship losses as well as a bowl ban but the TV thing wasn't put in place until 1974 a.k.a. "The greatest team you'll never see." The reason being that ABC already had rights to broadcast the 1973 OU-Texas game and the NCAA didn't want to get into it with ABC.

vCash

This.

I was at that game in Lincoln. The entire stadium just deflated when Jackson made that catch.

vCash

Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    I think it was televised. The probation was in place that year for scholarship losses as well as a bowl ban but the TV thing wasn't put in place until 1974 a.k.a. "The greatest team you'll never see." The reason being that ABC already had rights to broadcast the 1973 OU-Texas game and the NCAA didn't want to get into it with ABC.
    So, now I'm second guessing my memory. I listened to the game on the radio, but I was in the hospital, and just may not have had a TV in the room. I definitely remember the probation was off-set; two years of no TV appearances, and two years of no bowl appearances, with one year of overlap (1974, I believe). Maybe someone with more research time and skill can help run down the facts.

vCash

Maybe not famous but this one from the CCG in 2000 against KSU. When josh hit Wolfolk for the final TD. Things were still very tight and tense when he ran that post. That was right in front of us and you could see he was open from the start. We were screaming at Josh to just throw the ****ing ball and he finally did.

Another was maybe the first or second play in the OB that year. Ontei Jones absolutely smacked that FSU receiver in the mouth letting them know that we came to play that night. I think it helped set the tone for the rest of the game.

vCash

Originally Posted by Soonerlife View Post
    Love these highlights from the spirit crushing touchdowns when the games are in stoolwater (and the Cotton Bowl). You know when the band is cranking out the song after the TD, the other team is just like 'damn, I HATE this song!'. Makes it that much sweeter.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Brent Parker will always live in Sooner lore, THANK YOU Brent Parker

1987 OU vs. Nebraska in Lincoln. #1 NU vs. #2 OU. In the third quarter, some 'Husker fan got pissed off and threw his Sony Watchman (early battery powered TV) on to the field. It didn't shut off. It was kind of surreal seeing that TV on the field showing the game. I've never actually seen a replay of that on TV.

The 2:30 mark of this video. Demond was awesome that game.

vCash

Based on the logos, endzones, video quality and network tv graphics, the above video makes Demond look like he played at OU for about 25 years. haha

vCash

Another one of my favs even though we went on to lose that game to put us at 4 losses on the year
    They used that leap on the into for CNN sports for years.

vCash

Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    That USC game wasn't televised. In fact, the radio broadcast had technical difficulties and we missed part of the game on the radio. Back then ABC limited the number of appearances you could have over a two year period (5). In 1972 OU had been on vs. Texas, Colorado, and Nebraska. Thus they only had two slots for 1973. Those went to the Texas and Nebraska games that year.

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    That USC game wasn't televised. In fact, the radio broadcast had technical difficulties and we missed part of the game on the radio. Back then ABC limited the number of appearances you could have over a two year period (5). In 1972 OU had been on vs. Texas, Colorado, and Nebraska. Thus they only had two slots for 1973. Those went to the Texas and Nebraska games that year.
    Isn't that one of the things that led to the lawsuit by OU and Georgia?
    Funny if you think about tv back then and now, so much is owed to Georgia and OU for them thinking ahead.

vCash

Isn't that one of the things that led to the lawsuit by OU and Georgia?
    Funny if you think about tv back then and now, so much is owed to Georgia and OU for them thinking ahead.
    Yes. The NCAA was claiming property rights over the games and the lawsuit claimed that the property rights belonged to the individual schools. It is interesting that the ruling came down after the '83 season and before the '84 season. In the '84 season ESPN launched it's first live college football telecasts, so in a way you could say that OU and Georgia made ESPN because that was their first real legitimate live programing. OU's first appearance on ESPN was Iowa State in Ames that year.

vCash

1978 OU vs Rice - The old man took me to my first OU game. Game was a total bloodbath; 66-7 as I recall. I think Billy Sims, Thomas Lott, David Overstreet and two cheerleaders all had over 100 yards rushing that day. South 10 yard line seats on the east side (before the east upper deck). Good times.

At the 5:53 mark, the tackle from behind by Andre Johnson and the 4 stops OU had on Texas in the '84 game was very memorable to me. Even if the game ended in a tie, it just showed how good the Defense was going to be for next 2-3 years. Too bad AJ got hurt in a car accident after the game and never played again.

Stunned pukes!

My first vivid OU memory was Lydell Carr running 65 yards for a touchdown against Penn St.

vCash

Another one of my favs even though we went on to lose that game to put us at 4 losses on the year
    That needs to be used in the intro video on a regular basis!