So, I got this speeding ticket . ..

Posted 610 day(s) ago 781 Views 22 Replies

So, I got this speeding ticket . ..

52 in a 35.

The facts are:
    • Was traveling on a 45 prior to intersecting with 35 after a bend in the road.
    • Shitbird was sitting at the bottom of hill and targeted me in a direct line down the road prior to me crossing the 35 sign.
    • I was probably going 52, but that would have been in the 45, not the 35. I began to slow down when I saw the 35 sign and no way in hell was I going 52, when I passed into the 35 zone. At what point am I supposed to be going 35?

My defense is I was targeted prior to entering the 35 zone, so it should have been 52 in a 45.

It is out of state, so I've already paid an attorney to have the ticket amended (won't go on my driving record) and was prepared to just pay the fine $200 and be done with it. But I know I wasn't going 52 in a 35 and am conflicted.

Any of you ever fight a ticket? Was it worth it? Money isn't the issue and if I fight it, I'll damn sure spend a lot more than $200.

pay it and move on

I just pay them and move on or I just don't speed
    The following users like this post: SiggyPoke

Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    pay it and move on
    This. Your time is worth more than the money involved.

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I just blow the cop and move on
    The following users like this post: Aurora

hahaha KC nice edit

Do NOT give in. Fight the power!

INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE EVERYWHERE
    2 users like Tug Medick's post: DIB, OUMallen

Let me get this straight. Your defense is that you were speeding.

Check.

Just drive at the correct speed, and when you pass the sigh you should be at the speed posted on it.

Complain to your mom and have her sue the state, police department, and the governor.

I always love reading threads about getting a speeding ticket and it being the officers fault. As stated above, pay the ticket and move on or don't speed.
    2 users like SiggyPoke's post: DHF, SnakeDoctor

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    hahaha KC nice edit
    Since I had no comeback for the broken hip reply I had to bide my time.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III

Tickets?????

Amateurs....
    The following users like this post: The Baconator®

Originally Posted by SoCaliSooner View Post
    Tickets?????

Amateurs....

I don't get them either, lol

Originally Posted by eightisgreat View Post
    52 in a 35.

The facts are:
    • Shitbird was sitting at the bottom of hill and targeted me in a direct line down the road prior to me crossing the 35 sign.
    • I was probably going 52, but that would have been in the 45, not the 35. I began to slow down when I saw the 35 sign and no way in hell was I going 52, when I passed into the 35 zone. At what point am I supposed to be going 35?

My defense is I was targeted prior to entering the 35 zone, so it should have been 52 in a 45.

It is out of state, so I've already paid an attorney to have the ticket amended (won't go on my driving record) and was prepared to just pay the fine $200 and be done with it. But I know I wasn't going 52 in a 35 and am conflicted.

Any of you ever fight a ticket? Was it worth it? Money isn't the issue and if I fight it, I'll damn sure spend a lot more than $200.
    Not worth it. Your odds of winning are almost zero. You've already done the smartest thing you can do. Pay a lawyer, get the ticket amended down, and move on.

Originally Posted by eightisgreat View Post
    52 in a 35.

The facts are:

If you think you are not guilty, go to court.

I believe the sign marks the beginning of that speed limit... If it started at the spot the sign was first as to be read then someone with poor vision would have a different speed limit than a person with terrific vision for several yards.

Originally Posted by FiveOhSooner View Post
    If you think you are not guilty, then pay it.

I believe the sign marks the beginning of that speed limit, so pay it... If it started at the spot the sign was first as to be read then someone with poor vision would pay it, and a person with terrific vision would pay it.
    FIFY

Originally Posted by Oldnslo View Post
    Let me get this straight. Your defense is that you were speeding.

Check.
    Yes, I was speeding but there is huge difference between a 7 over and a 17 over. Anything over 10 is a MV and you get points for it on your record and you get an insurance rate increase to go with it (unless you pay an attorney to have it amended). I am not contesting that I was speeding, I am contesting that I was not in a 35 zone when I was targeted, which I wasn't.

Originally Posted by SiggyPoke View Post
    I always love reading threads about getting a speeding ticket and it being the officers fault. As stated above, pay the ticket and move on or don't speed.
    Good advice . . . but sneaky speed traps are the suck . . .

Thanks all, for input. I've got until April 16th to decide whether or not I want to spend the money to put this cop/municipality on the spot. I diagrammed it all and attorney says I've actually got a chance. I merged onto a 35 from a 45 and there is no way I could have known that was a 35 until I got to the sign, at which point I braked and was near 35. Yet the cop expects me to know I am merging onto a 35 and immediately reduce my speed before I even approach the 35 sign, bullshit! Perfect speed trap, attorney is going to the court and find out how many speeding tickets have been issued at that intersection over the past couple of years.

Shit like this happens because we allow it to happen. I'll probably tuck tail and pay up in the end, but I sure as hell don't want to at the moment. I'd spend $1,000 to make these shitbirds have to put up a 35 sign at the merge.

I can accept I was going about 5 over, which I routinely do, but I never approach 10 over for the reasons stated.

Oh believe me, I know. I used to take 75 from here to Dallas and back during college and had to go the way of Stringtown and Atoka.

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    Good advice . . . but sneaky speed traps are the suck . . .

Originally Posted by SiggyPoke View Post
    Yeah. Sometimes people are just too cowardly to admit when they are wrong.
    (That statement has nothing to do with the OP)