SONY Anouncement Today

Posted 613 day(s) ago 1083 Views 21 Replies

SONY Anouncement Today

Looks like SONY is set to announce the new PS4 today. I like the XBOX better than PS, but I would love to see SONY do well with launch. I also would love to hear them say at the end of their presser "Here's the new PS4 it will launch one week before E3. **** you Microsoft we aren't waiting till the holiday season!" Mic drop walk off the stage....
    3 users like drspencer's post: Bk2X, Bob Loblaw, CookiePuss

Last edited by drspencer; February 20th, 2013 at 11:43 AM.

they'll be waiting until the holiday season. rumor is a $429 model and $529 model and the controller will have a little touchpad in the middle. lots of other rumors, but the truth shall set us free very soon.

Sounds like Sony's finally going to have a robust online service like Xbox Live. Will have to see what the execution will be.

Subscribed

Here's a live stream of the announcement, which will happen in a few minutes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewa...new-york-city/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/g...p=breakingnews

Perry says PS4 and the PlayStation Network will be integrated with Gaikai, which was recently acquired by Sony. "The gamer is at the center of the PlayStation Network," says Perry.

6:30 p.m.: So far, the focus is tightly squared on the experience of play, and not so much on technical details. David Perry of Gaikai about to take the stage. Wonder if we'll clear up the streaming game rumors.

6:27 p.m.: The PS4 will also feature a heavily-integrated social component as well. Personalization will be big, too. The system will get to know you and get to closer to the experiences a player seeks, says Cerny. Players can find content by creator and genre. Cerny says it will be predictive.

6:26 p.m.: Cerny says sharing video of gameplay will be a huge component in PS4. Players can pick spots in a game, and the system will make the edit and upload while the player continues their adventure.

6:25 p.m.: Players will be able to suspend and resume titles, leaving the console in a sleep mode until the player wants to return. Sounds a lot different than a simple pause. A secondary chip allows for background downloads, which can be done while a game is being played. A welcome change.

6:22 p.m.: Cerny shows a trailer of a game he's working on for PS4. It's an action game called Knack. It stars a character that can quickly change his size. Interesting action game.

6:19 p.m.: Cerny showed a brief demo of Unreal Engine 4 created by Epic Games. Looks really impressive. Cerny says they're using a highly-advanced GPU (graphics processing) similar to high-end PCs.

6:18 p.m.: Cerny is about to introduce some demos of the new DualShock controller for PS4. It appears most of those leaked pics seem legit. Controller designed in tandem with a stereo camera similar to Kinect.

6:16 p.m.: Cerny says PS4 is "an evolution of gaming itself."

6:14 p.m.: "We wanted to make sure that nothing came between the platform and the joy of play," Cerny continues, adding he wanted to make sure the console infrastructure easily connected players.

6:12 p.m.: "Every major console from the Atari 2600 ... all the way from the PlayStation 2 had been a single-purpose device," Cerny says.

6:11 p.m.: Mark Cerny, the lead system architect of the PS4, takes the stage. Cerny has worked at Atari and on franchises such as Sonic the Hedgehog.

6:10 p.m.: "We must give gamers the kind of multi-dimensional experiences they not only expect, but quite frankly, deserve," says House in describing PS4.

6:10 p.m.: House says the process for this transition is developer led and consumer inspired. PlayStation 4 is official.

6:08 p.m.: House says "the demands for a new platform were clear." He says changes would have huge impact on PlayStation's full portfolio of products.

6:06 p.m.: House says Sony is focused on expanding PlayStation content to tablets and smartphones. Users have a taste of this through their PlayStation Mobile platform.

6:05 p.m.: House says they will simplify processes for PlayStation users, adding the gamer will now be the central focus of PlayStation, not the living room. "Ease of access" has been a huge priority, says House.
    2 users like usaosooner's post: drspencer, SpankyNek

Diablo III will be on the PS3 and PS4
    The following users like this post: SiggyPoke

here comes Destiny....
    The following users like this post: drspencer

at least sony was smart enough to make it easy for developers to create games. ps3 got a bad rap for being difficult to build for.

The real question is how Microsoft and Sony are going to differentiate themselves from each other with similar specs

Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    The real question is how Microsoft and Sony are going to differentiate themselves from each other with similar specs
    Exclusives?

I like that the architecture is going to be similar to a PC. Consoles are building a bridge to the PC platform and that's good news for PC gamers IMO. Less shitty and quicker ports. PC games won't have as many features stripped out because both platforms will be closer than ever. Hopefully this will help speed up all game development and optimizations.

Console owners should reap the benefits too. I foresee more customization and mods coming to the consoles.
    The following users like this post: SiggyPoke

Security? I know Sony had some major problems with hackers for a while. Could having such an open dev package be a double edge sword in that respect?

Right now in my eyes the biggest differences between PS and Xbox are exclusives and Xbox live. If Sony can figure out how to create an existence comparable to live I think it would go a long way.

If gamers are split equally between platforms, and each platform has very little difference technically, it will take a lot of money from Sony or Microsoft to keep a 3rd party developer from releasing for both.

And now, a hilarious abridged version of the press conference.

The following users like this post: mxATVracer10

From that link, they say:

SCE Boss Andrew House kicked off the PlayStation Meeting by briefly stating PS4 would allow developers to explore free-to-play, more episodic games. Mostly limited to Android/Apple software or browser titles in the past, the ftp model has never really existed on consoles, save for playing demos.
    I've been playing Dust 514 on the PS3 for a few weeks now. This is news to me.

Probably meant to say, "on a large scale"

Probably meant to say, "on a large scale"
    It's integrated (in real-time) to EVE online. It's a decent sized undertaking. Don't know of any other console game that has combined the PC community with the console community so seamlessly. Let alone a free-to-play one.

Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    From that link, they say:

I've been playing Dust 514 on the PS3 for a few weeks now. This is news to me.
    Also DC Universe Online I believe is on the PS3. And yeah, like LASooner said, probably on a large scale compared to the amount of F2P games on PC.

Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    It's integrated (in real-time) to EVE online. It's a decent sized undertaking. Don't know of any other console game that has combined the PC community with the console community so seamlessly. Let alone a free-to-play one.
    I wasn't speaking so much to the size of the individual game but free-to-play ecosystem concept on game consoles.