NFL Combine Thread

Posted 523 day(s) ago by Sooner Mommy18920 Views 389 Replies
Page 4 of 8 2 3 4 5 6
    vCash

Landry has, many flaws and issues, to say the least... his time here as A Sooner isgreatly appreciated; it was time to move on though. Landry, for all his occasional suck, can and hopefully will be successful in the League. No need for hyperbole from pumpers or bashing from gloomers, we should all be wishing for his success.

vCash

Originally Posted by barrister View Post
    I would pay big money to see Landry running back kicks. If he got loose with that crazy stride it would be priceless.
    Hell, with that knee lift he would be deadly.

vCash

Lane Johnson congrats to you and I wish you the best in the league.
    As for those that are talking shit. F U! First of all, Lane came into the season not even highly regarded by his own coaches. He wasn't listed as a starter. Secondly, many on this board agreed that Lane was an overrated converted TE. I wasn't the only one that felt that way.
    I'm glad Lane improved and I wish him the best, however hindsight is 20/20.

I thought Lane came into the season regarded as a good nfl prospect. I know he was never considered as a prospect by some Landthieves scouts. But I heard coaches talk him up pre-season and heard local media talk about him as a prospect. Regardless congrats shows what hardwork and detemination can accomplish.
    The following users like this post: pmartin50

Originally Posted by SECsooner View Post
    As for those that are talking shit. F U! First of all, Lane came into the season not even highly regarded by his own coaches. He wasn't listed as a starter. Secondly, many on this board agreed that Lane was an overrated converted TE. I wasn't the only one that felt that way.
    Pwned

Originally Posted by SECsooner View Post
    Eat your crow like a man or don't say anything at all.
    5 users like Rocko's post: cccasooner2, CrimsonOberon, fdubzou, HeroOfTheDay, SoulRebel

Lane can easily add 20 more pounds and improve his skills. I see him having a 12 plus year career in the NFL.

vCash

I thought Lane came into the season regarded as a good nfl prospect. I know he was never considered as a prospect by some Landthieves scouts. But I heard coaches talk him up pre-season and heard local media talk about him as a prospect. Regardless congrats shows what hardwork and detemination can accomplish.
    a lot of people on this board didn't think he had the footwork to be a decent college left tackle, let alone a 1st round pick, and were vocal about it.

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III
    vCash

Originally Posted by fdubzou View Post
    Who are these idiots that were expecting Jones to run a blazing 40? He isn't a running QB, and has never pretended to be. He does have arguably the best arm, and I have to disagree with SoCali saying he "shit the field." He's led OU to more come from behind victories than any QB under Stoops. Does he have his problems? Of course, but they're vastly over exaggerated by the mouth breathers that don't understand exactly how special Sam was, how much better the offensive line and running backs were, and even how much better the defenses Sam had backing him up were.
    I'm just surprised he didn't trip during the dash...he played longer than Sam, jason and Heupel but didn't improve much past his sophomore year. Aside from Bomar at Big Red, jones has had more "what the **** are you thinking?" moments than all stoops QB's combined.

vCash

Originally Posted by Soonerside View Post
    Lane can easily add 20 more pounds and improve his skills. I see him having a 12 plus year career in the NFL.
    he could, the guy works out and eats right...sitting at 6'7" 303 lbs and around 10% bf from the last I heard...athletic phenom

Landry also put up a lot of points and had to score on almost every possession in a majority of the games the last two years. In 2011 they lost 3 games and in 2 of those losses his offense put up 38 its. Is he Sam Bradford no, but he gets way too little respect.

Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post

4 users like Vodnik's post: andymancan20, OSUSUCKSDICK, OUrage, soonerUthenMe

vCash

2 users like Soonerpsycho's post: melbitoast, Vodnik

vCash

Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Stills running sub 4.3 speeds has me thinking back to how they hardly had Landry going deep to him. Or is my memory faulty? Between him and Saunders, opposing secondaries should have been begging for breathers.
    For the numerically challenged, 4.38 is not "sub" 4.3.
    The following users like this post: ab5sr

vCash
    Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    For the numerically challenged, 4.38 is not "sub" 4.3.
    For the chronologically challenged, his unofficial time was sub 4.3.

Lots of people, LOTS said LJ was going in the 1st round. As I stated several months ago, I made a wager with my bro in law that LJ would not go in the 1st round. It has been stated several times that this is a weak QB draft. I agree LJ had a great career for us, but he was also the most frustrating to watch. I know some are hanging on to him starting in the NFL, and that would be great if you are right...but I think that is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. unlike that SECSooner ****, if I am wrong, and he starts, or gets drafted in the 1st round, I will admit I was wrong and eat crow. But if I am right, you mother ****ers are gonna hear about it! (that was my bruthaman voice)

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    Lots of people, LOTS said LJ was going in the 1st round. As I stated several months ago, I made a wager with my bro in law that LJ would not go in the 1st round. It has been stated several times that this is a weak QB draft. I agree LJ had a great career for us, but he was also the most frustrating to watch. I know some are hanging on to him starting in the NFL, and that would be great if you are right...but I think that is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. unlike that SECSooner ****, if I am wrong, and he starts, or gets drafted in the 1st round, I will admit I was wrong and eat crow. But if I am right, you mother ****ers are gonna hear about it! (that was my bruthaman voice)
    Here in Indianapolis the word "frustration": was used to describe LJ by many people. Many scouts claimed he was the most skilled mechanically here at the combine. His 40 time was not an issue and his other tests were great. On the field several receivers from schools wanted LJ to throw to them as he had the most accurate pass. Contrary to popular belief and several alleged "In the know" websites on the draft LJ's senior bowl week did not drop his draft status. The teams that were high on him to begin with are still very much so.

However the issues they have with him is game day mind set. He appears to be the best practice day QB in this draft. When they had in film consultations and asked what and why his decisions were he really faltered here. His answers were not what coaches wanted to hear. It is interesting that two different scouts mentioned an aspect that I have brought up several times. He appears to act on the idea that there was no one behind him that a coach would put in or that there was never any type of QB competition the entire 4 years of him starting once Bradford went down in 2009. He will get drafted and could go anywhere from round 1 -3. (Round 1 is highly unlikely as the teams that were looking for a QB that are high on him are now looking at other positions). Unless an drastic mindset happens with LJ then I do not see him lasting too long in the NFLa nd most of his playing time will be in the Pre Season. He seems like a great kid I hope I'm wrong.

I think Kurt Warner pretty much told it like it is. Landry has a ton of game tape for his resume.

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerDan74012 View Post

God, that horrible running style. I don't think anyone ever taught him how to run.
    2 users like Mr. Pink's post: DRL, drspencer

Originally Posted by sportsproducer View Post
    Here in Indianapolis the word "frustration": was used to describe LJ by many people. Many scouts claimed he was the most skilled mechanically here at the combine. His 40 time was not an issue and his other tests were great. On the field several receivers from schools wanted LJ to throw to them as he had the most accurate pass. Contrary to popular belief and several alleged "In the know" websites on the draft LJ's senior bowl week did not drop his draft status. The teams that were high on him to begin with are still very much so.

However the issues they have with him is game day mind set. He appears to be the best practice day QB in this draft. When they had in film consultations and asked what and why his decisions were he really faltered here. His answers were not what coaches wanted to hear. It is interesting that two different scouts mentioned an aspect that I have brought up several times. He appears to act on the idea that there was no one behind him that a coach would put in or that there was never any type of QB competition the entire 4 years of him starting once Bradford went down in 2009. He will get drafted and could go anywhere from round 1 -3. (Round 1 is highly unlikely as the teams that were looking for a QB that are high on him are now looking at other positions). Unless an drastic mindset happens with LJ then I do not see him lasting too long in the NFLa nd most of his playing time will be in the Pre Season. He seems like a great kid I hope I'm wrong.

I appreciate the insight. I watched a little of his work out, and as you stated throwing the ball with nobody around him has never been an issue. AND, playing in games that we are suppose to win, typically was not an issue. I felt like the issues with LJ started when he felt the game was on him whether they won or lost. Most major games he played in (notice I did not say all) he was a wreck and made dumb ass mistakes. I felt his JR year he was a puss, he was afraid of getting hit. I felt like at the end of his JR year he started getting tougher, so I went in to this year thinking, ok lets give the guy a chance. LJ was a GOOD QB, he could not have done what he did if he did not have good abilities, the problem was everyone expected him to grow in the Heisman QB that the was predicted to be in the running for 2 years and he never developed in to that. Anyway, like you, I do hope I am wrong....

vCash

Huepel was a great College QB and seems to be a good "college QB coach". But the NFL is a whole new game. It will be interesting to see what an NFL QB coach will do with Landry. It seems reasonable someone will give him a chance considering his skills and accuracy. Time will tell. I hope he proves all his doubters wrong.

vCash

On the other hand, I've never seen a player crucified as much as LJ has been over and over for his play vs. ND and KSU. Especially ND. I think it's a tad unfair; he's had a great career and his numbers don't lie. They're so affixed to pointing out a dozen plays that were piss-poor as opposed to hundreds or thousands where he did well. I'm quite sure that I could take three or four games by Matt Barkley and Geno Smith and rip them to shreds, yet we don't hear mention.
    4 users like ab5sr's post: DelMarSooner, Irish_Sooner, OUrage, Salt City Sooner

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III
    vCash

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    On the other hand, I've never seen a player crucified as much as LJ has been over and over for his play vs. ND and KSU. Especially ND. I think it's a tad unfair; he's had a great career and his numbers don't lie. They're so affixed to pointing out a dozen plays that were piss-poor as opposed to hundreds or thousands where he did well. I'm quite sure that I could take three or four games by Matt Barkley and Geno Smith and rip them to shreds, yet we don't hear mention.
    LJ's been making head scratching bad decisions in games we won too. You could count on at least one int where he was just horrible under perceived duress..I can't tell you how many times I was shocked that other teams LB's and DB's flat out dropped sure pick six's he threw or it would have been worse. His arm hasn't been an issue, his mental toughness has.
    The following users like this post: melbitoast

vCash

One int/game is 12 ints/season. That's not all that bad. As many times as he throws, yeah, he's going to **** something up. It's inevitable. He's throwing 40-50 times per game. I still think the inconsistency stuff is blown up a bit much.

Originally Posted by SoCaliSooner View Post
    I'm just surprised he didn't trip during the dash...he played longer than Sam, jason and Heupel but didn't improve much past his sophomore year. Aside from Bomar at Big Red, jones has had more "what the **** are you thinking?" moments than all stoops QB's combined.
    I figured he'd slid a yard short of finishing the 40
    4 users like Sooner 4 Life's post: andymancan20, Cabbage_town_kid, greensooner, lobster999

vCash

Stacy McGee didn't run, did he bench yesterday?

vCash

Tony Jefferson should be benching today, here's NFL.com

OVERVIEW
    Jefferson will not meet all NFL teams’ size requirements for the safety position, but they overlook him at their own risk. The success of pro safeties with similar measurements like Jairus Byrd, Troy Polamalu, T.J. Ward, and Donte Whitner will undoubtedly help Oklahoma’s strong and athletic defender get his chance as an early selection at the next level.

His lack of height obviously didn’t turn off major college programs from chasing Jefferson, a top-100 prospect out of California. It also didn’t keep him off the field for the Sooners in his first year on campus, as he started nine contests as an extra defensive back and earned the Big 12’s Defensive Freshman of the Year award with 65 tackles, seven for loss, seven pass break-ups and two interceptions –- one which he returned for a 22-yard touchdown against Connecticut in the team’s Fiesta Bowl victory. Jefferson’s role only got bigger as a sophomore, as he started 12 games (played sparingly vs. Texas A&M with a right knee injury), making plays near the line against the run and as a blitzer (74 tackles, 7.5 for loss, 4.5 sacks) while also leading the team with four interceptions (three coming against Ball State). He was an honorable mention All-Big 12 pick (coaches, media) in 2011. In his junior season, Jefferson recorded 119 tackles, two interceptions, and three passes defended. He was named a second-team AP All-American for his efforts.

ANALYSIS
    STRENGTHS Athletic, tough-minded safety. Plays all over the field, in a stack, on slot receivers, and single-high. Can lay the wood. Explosive blitzer who times his start well and brings pop as a tackler. Discards poor blocking attempts by fullbacks and receivers with hands and tenacity to make a play on the ball. Maintains outside leverage when playing containment responsibilities to force run plays inside. Good ball skills, follows receivers’ eyes in man or keeps his in the backfield in zone to break on passes. Flashes the hands to make the one-handed grab and is competitive in 50/50 and jump ball situations. Covers running backs on wheel routes adeptly, and can take away safety valve routes from slot receivers. Should be a special teams force early in his career due to his aggressive nature, speed, and tackling ability. Infectious attitude that helps him be a team leader.
    WEAKNESSES Short and lacks the ideal bulk for a NFL defensive back. Does not have elite speed, will fall behind better slot receivers on crosses if unable to get a hand on them off the line. Stays high in his backpedal and will stop his feet when lined up off the slot, receivers can eat up cushion. Linemen and tight ends use their superior size and length to engulf him in the run game. Poor tackling technique, will launch himself or dive at ball carriers, resulting in missed tackles.

NFL COMPARISON T.J. Ward

BOTTOM LINE Though shorter than most top safety prospects, Jefferson’s leadership skills, physicality around the line of scrimmage and his coverage skills will entice teams to pick him early in the 2013 draft.

One int/game is 12 ints/season. That's not all that bad. As many times as he throws, yeah, he's going to **** something up. It's inevitable. He's throwing 40-50 times per game. I still think the inconsistency stuff is blown up a bit much.
    yes not bad stats, it is WHEN he threw them. Like the ND game for the last play, not his fault..but without a doubt he played like shit against KSTATE and I would put a lot of the blame on LJ to why we lost. but that is just me.

Seems like almost every Landy intercption went the other way for a td or almost a td. I don't know why that occurred but I think that is part of the misperception that he was a dissapointing qb.
    The following users like this post: Sooner 4 Life

So, one thing I've found out in this thread is that people "in the know" around the NFL and some scouts are now "mouth-breathers" and don't know what they are talking about. All along, I thought they were pretty unbiased (with Kiper being the only exception)... SMH

Originally Posted by Meni View Post
    Stacy McGee didn't run, did he bench yesterday?
    No data posted for him on any of the tests. Don't know if he's working with Team Dez in terms of decision making or if he has injuries from not playing that are keeping him from testing.

vCash

Seems like almost every Landy intercption went the other way for a td or almost a td. I don't know why that occurred but I think that is part of the misperception that he was a dissapointing qb.
    Our offense doesn't know anything about tackling, no doubt.

vCash

yes not bad stats, it is WHEN he threw them. Like the ND game for the last play, not his fault..but without a doubt he played like shit against KSTATE and I would put a lot of the blame on LJ to why we lost. but that is just me.
    Definitely had some bad plays at inopportune times. I don't believe that they're deal-breakers though. My point is that he's really attracting a bunch of criticism, and maybe a lot of it is somewhat excessive.

Definitely had some bad plays at inopportune times. I don't believe that they're deal-breakers though. My point is that he's really attracting a bunch of criticism, and maybe a lot of it is somewhat excessive.
    Agreed, and tearing down one guy does not make someone else look better. Each guy has a resume that stands on it's own.

vCash

TOM WORT first unofficial run 4.69 FASTER than Te'o lol (4.81)

vCash

Originally Posted by Soonerpsycho View Post
    Spot on.
    4 users like oorah_okie's post: ab5sr, OUrage, Vodnik

Originally Posted by cccasooner2 View Post
    Agreed, and tearing down one guy does not make someone else look better. Each guy has a resume that stands on it's own.
    When you are the QB, your position is magnified, just sayn. Just like when a big win happens, alot of love goes toward the QB. I can name several games that LJ played poorly and did not give us a chance to win. I can name games where he was not tough in the pocket and made a throw, vs him running around back there and taking a sack. IMO LJ has ALL the tools to be a good NFL caliber QB, but until someone gets him to toughen up, and noy make the bone head plays, he will not see the field..again just my opinion. I wont lie, I would LOVE for Gruden to get him in the film room and lets see what he would have to say about him...ME I think Gruden will question his toughness, and his decision making. Do I think ALL blame should go on LJ, absolutely not, other plays were at fault as well.

vCash

Tom Wort 4.69 first attempt unofficial

vCash

good for Tom, I hope he ends up doing well and gets drafted...the kid is a Sooner and wish him the best as he moves on with his career
    4 users like greensooner's post: oorah_okie, OrlandoSooner, OUrage, quatrogenerian

vCash

WORT 4.78 official

vCash

Grade 57. 'Bout as low as you can get I 'reckon http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tom-wort?id=2540210

vCash

does Wort have a more than decent chance of getting drafted? or is he a lock to just get an invitation for tryouts?

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    does Wort have a more than decent chance of getting drafted? or is he a lock to just get an invitation for tryouts?
    I just dont see it...him coming out completely BLEW my mind

lane johnson to mlb

vCash

I just dont see it...him coming out completely BLEW my mind
    at first I felt the same then realized, he didn't fit the scheme and wouldn't get much playing time going forward...might as well go out now while people are at least talking about you...next year no one would have known who he was

vCash

Originally Posted by Meni View Post
    WORT 4.78 official
    Not very good for a guy who is under sized.

Originally Posted by greensooner View Post
    at first I felt the same then realized, he didn't fit the scheme and wouldn't get much playing time going forward...might as well go out now while people are at least talking about you...next year no one would have known who he was
    I agree with your point...I would just think he would have found the field in Norman and had time to add size. Again, you have a point...I never really heard much about Wort off the field, meaning not sure what kind of guy he is. I heard he dated a Thunder Cheerleader...my brothers kid took a picture with him and he said he smelled like beer and cigs..which I always thought was funny, but really nothing on the guy that I know for sure.

vCash

Are there workouts tomorrow?

vCash

Are there workouts tomorrow?
    DBs tomorrow

vCash

Tony Jefferson 16 reps with 225
    Matt Elam 17
    Kenny Vaccaro 15