Tech gets new helmets... again.

Posted 616 day(s) ago 6282 Views 72 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Tech gets new helmets... again.

Well... I'll be damned.

The red helmet looks like a wolf. Just turrible. Do what you gotta do, I guess.

So Kingsbury saw highlights of OSU last year, with Pistol Pete on the helmets, and though that Tech needs to do that too?

Well if they can't get 10 wins, they'll get 10 helmets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    5 users like OuachitaSooner's post: atownsooner, biglynn, boleybuster, Dr Sleep, palisooner

Originally Posted by Camel at Sea View Post
    So Kingsbury saw highlights of OSU last year, with Pistol Pete on the helmets, and though that Tech needs to do that too?
    I realize this is a tounge in cheek comment, but if Kingsburry had any input on this, I'd say it had more to do with how making changes to uniforms gets kids jacked up. See A&M. It's something OU should do every now and then. Not flashy logos like this, but just subtle changes like a white helmet and crimson pants.

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    The red helmet looks like a wolf. Just turrible.
    Clearly Guy Fawkes riding a dragon dildo.

We are legión.

they look like an arena team now
    2 users like andymancan20's post: BajaOklahoma, BoomerSooner2578

I like that black helmet in the front.
    The following users like this post: R3D Mamba

The more teams that do this, the less unique and trendy it becomes. I'm all for trying new unis for a few games a yr, just not wholesale changes. At some point it becomes white noise and recruits will stop being so impressed by it. So I say, go for it tx tech.

Originally Posted by AcousticSoup View Post
    Well... I'll be damned.
    No tradition? Get a gimmick. I like the Tide ripoff.

I realize this is a tounge in cheek comment, but if Kingsburry had any input on this, I'd say it had more to do with how making changes to uniforms gets kids jacked up. See A&M. It's something OU should do every now and then. Not flashy logos like this, but just subtle changes like a white helmet and crimson pants.
    I'm all for uniform changes, occasionally. It's obvious the kids like playing in them at Oregon, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc. I don't even really care about whether they help with recruiting, don't help, etc. The kids are the ones who are playing. If they like it, then (within reason) they should get to wear tweaked uniforms occasionally.

But if the goal is to get kids jacked up, I'm not sure those Tech helmets are a step in the right direction. Their design reminds me of the New Mexico Lobos. that's not a good thing. They look small-time.
    2 users like Camel at Sea's post: oorah_okie, OU812

We just need one new alternate uniform a year. bust it out in OOC play. 1 time a year. Something new
    3 users like usaosooner's post: oorah_okie, OU812, SECsooner

They won't be worn. Just something to show recruits.

Nothing says "tradition rich program" like changing your uniform every 5 days.

Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    Nothing says "tradition rich program" like changing your uniform every 5 days.
    When's the last time you heard Tech fan talk about uniform tradition?

The Red with silver facemask UH helmet is awesome
    2 users like usaosooner's post: Cabbage_town_kid, FallenSoul250

Originally Posted by Mack Brown Clap View Post
    When's the last time you heard Tech fan talk about uniform tradition?
    TRICK QUESTION! There's no such thing as a "Tech Fan", you almost got me.
    The following users like this post: Slappyslapopolus

Originally Posted by Vodnik View Post
    The second one from the left hurts my eyes.

No seriously -- you can't even see the logo through the glare.

Alabama wouldn't be nearly as successful if it weren't for constant uniform changes.
    The following users like this post: mrSooner

Originally Posted by XxSuBLiMexX View Post
    Alabama wouldn't be nearly as successful if it weren't for constant uniform changes.
    When you've won 3 of the last 4 nattys, you ain't gotta do shit. I guarantee if Saban had never gone there and they were still in the slump they were in before Saban, they'd be jumping on this wagon.

When you've won 3 of the last 4 nattys, you ain't gotta do shit. I guarantee if Saban had never gone there and they were still in the slump they were in before Saban, they'd be jumping on this wagon.
    Here is the thing about uniform changes. They are cool for a little bit, then they look like shit for the most part. Only a few schools can claim a uniform that is simple, traditional, and one that kids still want to wear. We happen to be one of those schools. But maybe we could go the Michigan route and sellout like a bunch of ****ing pussies while also tarnishing our brand.
    The following users like this post: OU Pepperoni

3 users like Nuked's post: BigPoppa, DarrellS011, Redhawk

Here is the thing about uniform changes. They are cool for a little bit, then they look like shit for the most part. Only a few schools can claim a uniform that is simple, traditional, and one that kids still want to wear. We happen to be one of those schools. But maybe we could go the Michigan route and sellout like a bunch of ****ing pussies while also tarnishing our brand.
    I totally agree. I've never been for drastic changes and to be honest I thought the two throwback uni's we've worn didn't look all that great. I'd just like to see a white helmet and crimson pants thrown in occasionally. Keep everything else the same - logo, font, colors, stripes, number font, font size. Say for example, you went all white next year in South Bend and win in epic fashion. Immediately, an all white uni at OU becomes big league and the next time you see that combo thrown out, you know exactly why it's being broken out. Yes, winning games ultimately boils down to preparation and execution, but little things like this DO matter.
    The following users like this post: OU Pepperoni

We actually have to win one of those first. crawl before you can walk, man.
    The following users like this post: S00NER14

I totally agree. I've never been for drastic changes and to be honest I thought the two throwback uni's we've worn didn't look all that great. I'd just like to see a white helmet and crimson pants thrown in occasionally. Keep everything else the same - logo, font, colors, stripes, number font, font size. Say for example, you went all white next year in South Bend and win in epic fashion. Immediately, an all white uni at OU becomes big league and the next time you see that combo thrown out, you know exactly why it's being broken out. Yes, winning games ultimately boils down to preparation and execution, but little things like this DO matter.
    I don't buy it for big time schools. An Oregon or Oklahoma State, yes, why the hell not. Oklahoma, Alabama, Notre Dame... simple and powerful, 99% of "alternate uniforms" won't be worth wearing considering the prestige we have.

The two white ones aren't bad, esp the one with the number

damn i like the silver with the red facemask. the white with red facemask looks too much like nebraska.

And when it comes down to it, we don't have the logos or colors to pull off anything like Oregon or even Okie State. Stick with what works.
    The following users like this post: Mosh For Jesus

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    The Red with silver facemask UH helmet is awesome
    Chromed out!

GArbage
    The following users like this post: mrSooner

I don't buy it for big time schools. An Oregon or Oklahoma State, yes, why the hell not. Oklahoma, Alabama, Notre Dame... simple and powerful, 99% of "alternate uniforms" won't be worth wearing considering the prestige we have.
    Again, I agree. But would minor tweaks like white helmets and crimson pants really be considered an "alternative uniform"? By letter of the law definition it would, but I would consider a truly alternative uni being something like slapping a schooner on one side of the helmet, player # on the other, silver pants, or all black unis.

Originally Posted by Nuked View Post
    zorro on helmets. awesome.

Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
    TRICK QUESTION! There's no such thing as a "Tech Fan", you almost got me.

I think the seniors should be given the opportunity to design the uniform every year and wear it on senior day. One game every year and let them make it as radical as they wish. Kind of a reward/thank you for choosing OU.
    The following users like this post: SECsooner

Originally Posted by OUrage View Post
    I think the seniors should be given the opportunity to design the uniform every year and wear it on senior day. One game every year and let them make it as radical as they wish. Kind of a reward/thank you for choosing OU.
    This is actually the best idea I've heard in a long time.

Originally Posted by RedDirt717 View Post
    This is actually the best idea I've heard in a long time.
    Good luck getting them all to agree on something.

Originally Posted by 85sooners View Post
    GArbage
    Agreed. I'm highly opposed to a double-t-less helmet. Tech changes their unis all the time, but the Double-T helmet has always been one constant.

And when it comes down to it, we don't have the logos or colors to pull off anything like Oregon or even Okie State. Stick with what works.
    This is a great point. When you look at teams like OSU, Tech, Oregon, Baylor, Arizona St., the common theme is that none of them have white as a primary color. But since every team wears white on the road, it allows them to incorporate it into a helmet. It's basically like having a third color, and that gives them more freedom and color combinations.

OU already uses white as a primary color, which limits a lot of what we can do when it comes to alternates. And besides the interlocking "OU", we don't really have any other primary logos that would look good (the Schooner one really doesn't look that great).

Originally Posted by Mack Brown Clap View Post
    Good luck getting them all to agree on something.
    Of course there will never be total agreement but that will be something the Seniors will have all season work on and come to a consensus by the date they need to be made.

Why the **** do you need more than 3 helmets? Give them a home, away, and alternate helmet and be happy.

Originally Posted by Nuked View Post
    Clearly Guy Fawkes riding a dragon dildo.

We are legión.

V Approves.

did houston change their mascot to the thunder cats?

I don't see how it hurts anything to let our players wear different uniforms every once in a while. The only two arguments I ever hear against it are "Sorry, we aren't OSU. We have actual tradition." or "These aren't going to make the kids play better."

1.) Tradition is a great thing. I'm glad so much of our stuff (pre-game and everything) has stayed relatively the same over the years. But shouldn't the players be allowed to have a little fun once in a while? Do we really aspire to be boring stiffs like the Big 10?
    2.) Nobody says it will make us play better. But once again let's allow the kids to have some fun.
    2 users like PowerPower's post: oorah_okie, SECsooner

White helmets with red OU on the sides would be a nice and traditional change of pace...

I think all the uniform traditionalists are funny.

1. It's a game.
    2. Played by teenagers and college kids.
    3. Who do not care about "tradition."

But, yes, we re so ****ing awesome because we have traditional uniforms. I take pride in this every single day because it matters so much in the scheme of things. Oh wait . . .
    4 users like Ibi unus Oklahomae's post: DHF, madbrad, oorah_okie, usaosooner

I think they're pretty cool, that's the way of things for a lot of schools to get kids interested in their program

Oregon started it, OSU did it, now several other schools are doing it

Some look good. The one's with the matador's look terrible. Almost like a wolf at first glance.

Originally Posted by usaosooner View Post
    We just need one new alternate uniform a year. bust it out in OOC play. 1 time a year. Something new
    I'm in the tradition camp, but starting to lean towards your thought here. A change of pace once a year wouldn't be bad (but the unis better be kick-butt and not stupid looking like most of the osu versions).