RIP Jaime Melendez

Posted 607 day(s) ago 3460 Views 25 Replies

RIP Jaime Melendez

Former Sooner offensive lineman in the '70s, and a classmate of mine at Lawton High, Jaime Melendez, has passed away in Tulsa. Coached at Booker T. Washington. He was was one if the nicest guys ever. RIP my friend.

His daughter posted this on Facebook.

Dad found his peace this morning. He passed away a little after 6am. My dad was and will always be bigger than life, and was so humbled by everyone reading this. All of your prayers, your encouraging words, your diligence in making sure his family was taken care of; I know he is even more at peace knowing how loved he was. For all of his former players, we always laughed that his obituary would say that he was survived by a beautiful wife, two daughters, and hundreds of sons. You all made his life so rich. He lived his life just how he wanted and in his words, "rode til the wheels fell off." I love you dad, always, always, and always.

He was a fine player. He was part of a group of really dominant home grown linemen that OU had during the mid 70s. I specifically remember him being highlighted on TV for a block he made in the Texas game which resulted in an OU Touchdown. It's great to know that he touched the lives of so many others.

Got drunk with him one night in Norman circa '76. He had to be only 56 or 57? Was it an illness?

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Originally Posted by Futbol7 View Post
    Got drunk with him one night in Norman circa '76. He had to be only 56 or 57? Was it an illness?
    Jaime was probably 57. Lung cancer I believe.

I've been wondering what ever happened to Jaime... Pretty young to go. Condolences go out to his family and friends and the LHS family.

Prayers

Best thoughts and prayers for his family

**** Cancer

Really good guy, rest now.

Jaime scored a TD against Texas. Recovered a fumble in the endzone. He was one of Switzer's favorite players. He was a year ahead of me in school. Friendly bear of a guy. He could party,but I remember that he and his brother wore that ROTC uniform and showed respect too. This one hits close to home. We ran in way different circles but I was always proud of him.

He did pretty well for being 6'1", 260 tops.

RIP !

Originally Posted by Rockgod View Post
    Jaime scored a TD against Texas. Recovered a fumble in the endzone. He was one of Switzer's favorite players. He was a year ahead of me in school. Friendly bear of a guy. He could party,but I remember that he and his brother wore that ROTC uniform and showed respect too. This one hits close to home. We ran in way different circles but I was always proud of him.
    That's what I misremembered.

Very sorry to hear this. RIP. I never had the pleasure of meeting him at OU, although I knew many of the players.

He was my spanish teacher at broken arrow.... Would throw tape balls at us if we were goofing off.... Sparked up a cig during class once... One of my favorite teachers.
    Was one of our coaches too... Guy always spoke his mind, didnt care about ramifications.... But would take how ever much time that was necessary to teach you something... Only teacher i visited after graduation.

RIP coach.

Coached me in football and track...taught us all to cuss in Spanish so we wouldn't get flagged in games.

Outside of football he kicked me in the ass several times to get me back on track when I was going the wrong way.

Fantastic man, great coach, great player.

RIP Coach

Originally Posted by soonernut View Post
    He was my spanish teacher at broken arrow.... Would throw tape balls at us if we were goofing off.... Sparked up a cig during class once... One of my favorite teachers.
    Was one of our coaches too... Guy always spoke his mind, didnt care about ramifications.... But would take how ever much time that was necessary to teach you something... Only teacher i visited after graduation.

RIP coach.
    Makes sense if it was lung cancer.

The 1975 OU team went to the Orange Bowl that year. Eight players from that Orange Bowl roster have passed away. That's unbelieveable. R.I.P. to Jaime and the others.

Joe McReynolds
    Sammy Jack Claphan
    Jody Farthing
    Jaime Melendez
    Lee Roy Selman
    Mike Babb
    Daryl Hunt
    Jerry Anderson

1975 was a great year

As a Freshman at the University of Oklahoma in 1975, I had the honor of meeting Jamie Melendez and becoming a friend. At this point he was a star player that walked like and treated me as regular folks. I think that a real measure of a human is how one impacts others, minus self adulation.

Jamie Melendez was a great person who could not help but be a leader. I was very sad to find out about his passing.

HR Matthews, CEO
    A Forum for LIFE, inc.

Sammy Jack Claphan Played against him in HS and college
    Jody Farthing Played against him in college
    Jerry Anderson Played with him in college

Figure that out!

I was not aware that Farthing was gone, nevertheless:

All of them gone much too soon.

Too much dying going on. Requiescat in pace.

Originally Posted by Zeeb10 View Post
    Sammy Jack Claphan Played against him in HS and college
    Jody Farthing Played against him in college
    Jerry Anderson Played with him in college

Figure that out!

I was not aware that Farthing was gone, nevertheless:

All of them gone much too soon.
    RIP Jaime

I used to live across the street from Jody Farthing. We both built new houses in the same neighborhood at the same time. This was 20+ years ago. He was a great guy to party with, and was real good to all the kids in the neighborhood.

He was a parole officer. For his 40th birthday, his wife threw a backyard party. A couple of his parolees who worked at the Red Dog sent over a stripper. His wife was not informed. She was not happy. It was a great show though, him getting a lap dance right there on his back patio.

Sadly he died of cancer not too long after that. Dean Blevins did the eulogy at this funeral.

RIP
    He played when OU was on a great run and it was a great time to be a Sooner fan.
    But it sounds like he made a big difference after his football days.

Don't forget Steve Davis.
    The following users like this post: OU48A