It's grilling season again!

Posted 1603 day(s) ago by SoonerBeerSnob85150 Views 882 Replies
Results 851 to 883 of 883
Page 18 of 18 8 16 17 18
  1. #851
    Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Couple a chicks on the 18" Weber Smokey Mountain , was delicious


    do you eat the skin?
    Last edited by 87sooner; August 7th, 2017 at 11:37 PM.

  2. #852
    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    so you eat the skin?
    Is there a problem with it? Grilled, fried...some people actually like it. Keep to your grey steaks.

  3. #853
    Originally Posted by sooner59 View Post
    Is there a problem with it? Grilled, fried...some people actually like it. Keep to your grey steaks.
    i can't bring myself to eat it.....just grosses me out...
    so i don't waste seasonings on the skin when i grill chicken...
    i put salt/pepper and sometimes montreal chicken under the skin....

    i know some people like it.......that's why i asked the question...
    you should take your meds....seems they are wearing off...

  4. #854
    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    do you eat the skin?
    Yes, and it was fairly crisp for smoked bird. Getting crisp chicken skin on the smoker or the grill, is the Holy Grail for chicken. Its very difficult.
    3 users like Hermit's post: Breadburner, MikeLucky, sooner59


  5. #855
    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    i can't bring myself to eat it.....just grosses me out...
    so i don't waste seasonings on the skin when i grill chicken...
    i put salt/pepper and sometimes montreal chicken under the skin....

    i know some people like it.......that's why i asked the question...
    you should take your meds....seems they are wearing off...
    Sorry chief...I've never needed any....but I wager I'm not the only one here that thinks you might...............
    .....
    (......)
    ^ Why the hell does someone even write like that? There are times to use "..."but not that often. Maybe take an English Comp course.
    2 users like sooner59's post: Breadburner, PokeJ


  6. #856
    He says " i know some people like it " ............... hell, in the BBQ world, I've NEVER seen anyone cue their chicken without the skin or with the idea the skin is not be eaten with the bird. I think 87 is out at the tail end of normal bell curve, and he doesn't realize it.
    The following users like this post: sooner59


  7. #857
    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    i can't bring myself to eat it.....just grosses me out...
    so i don't waste seasonings on the skin when i grill chicken...
    i put salt/pepper and sometimes montreal chicken under the skin....

    i know some people like it.......that's why i asked the question...
    you should take your meds....seems they are wearing off...
    Lol...Jesus ****ing wept...You have the crust cut off your PB&J don't you......
    2 users like Breadburner's post: GoonerSooner, SixBean


  8. #858
    Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    He says " i know some people like it " ............... hell, in the BBQ world, I've NEVER seen anyone cue their chicken without the skin or with the idea the skin is not be eaten with the bird. I think 87 is out at the tail end of normal bell curve, and he doesn't realize it.
    That would be some nice dried out shit....Thats for sure....

  9. #859
    Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    That would be some nice dried out shit....Thats for sure....
    Could grey chicken be anything but dried out shit?

    I'm sure he's too embarrassed to show pics of chicken he's cooked.

  10. #860
    Originally Posted by SixBean View Post
    Could grey chicken be anything but dried out shit?

    I'm sure he's too embarrassed to show pics of chicken he's cooked.
    O he did but it wasn't done and of course he had a thermometer stuck in its ass....

  11. #861
    My chicken never turns out as pretty as Hermits. Two thumbs up!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2 users like PokeJ's post: GoonerSooner, Stinger_1066


  12. #862
    Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    O he did but it wasn't done and of course he had a thermometer stuck in its ass....
    Before or after the microwave?
    The following users like this post: Breadburner


  13. #863

  14. #864
    i love grilled chicken....hate chicken skin.....
    hopefully u dumbazzes can make it thru the day with that knowledge...
    just don't forget to take your meds...

  15. #865
    Stinger_1066's Avatar
    Posts
    35,917
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    On the golf course

    Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Couple a chicks on the 18" Weber Smokey Mountain , was delicious

    Those look nice.

    Do you ever do it beer can style?

    I bought one of these a few years back.



    Regarding skin - I like mine with skin on. I'm finding it more and more difficult to find split breasts with skin on. Legs and thighs are not a problem, but for some reason split breasts with skin on are difficult to find. I picked up one package of 2 last weekend, but that is all they had.

  16. #866
    Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Those look nice.

    Do you ever do it beer can style?

    I bought one of these a few years back.



    Regarding skin - I like mine with skin on. I'm finding it more and more difficult to find split breasts with skin on. Legs and thighs are not a problem, but for some reason split breasts with skin on are difficult to find. I picked up one package of 2 last weekend, but that is all they had.
    Nope, never done beer can chicken, I kinda think its a gimmick.

    Obviously, all I buy are whole fryers, then butterfly them and cut them in half ..... cept for wings. I've seen some people doing interesting stuff with just legs, like making " lollypops " , I may have to try that.

    When a butterflied whole fryer is cut in halves, the skin on the breasts will sometimes pull up. And I bet that's why you can't find anything but skinless breasts. It would be very difficult to separate the breast and keep skin on.

    The hard part of getting crisp skin on cued or grilled chicken, is there must be high enough heat to render the fat in the skin, which the skin is mostly fat, to make it crispy..... without drying out the meat. Its a balance. The breast is really difficult to keep moist, the dark meat , not so much cuz it has a more fat.

    If I were just grilling breasts alone, I would want them skinless.

  17. #867
    Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

    Regarding skin - I like mine with skin on. I'm finding it more and more difficult to find split breasts with skin on. Legs and thighs are not a problem, but for some reason split breasts with skin on are difficult to find. I picked up one package of 2 last weekend, but that is all they had.
    i grill with skin on.....i just don't eat it...

  18. #868
    Stinger_1066's Avatar
    Posts
    35,917
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    On the golf course

    Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Nope, never done beer can chicken, I kinda think its a gimmick.

    Obviously, all I buy are whole fryers, then butterfly them and cut them in half ..... cept for wings. I've seen some people doing interesting stuff with just legs, like making " lollypops " , I may have to try that.

    When a butterflied whole fryer is cut in halves, the skin on the breasts will sometimes pull up. And I bet that's why you can't find anything but skinless breasts. It would be very difficult to separate the breast and keep skin on.

    The hard part of getting crisp skin on cued or grilled chicken, is there must be high enough heat to render the fat in the skin, which the skin is mostly fat, to make it crispy..... without drying out the meat. Its a balance. The breast is really difficult to keep moist, the dark meat , not so much cuz it has a more fat.

    If I were just grilling breasts alone, I would want them skinless.
    Yeah, the beer can method was more trouble than it was worth. And I wasn't going to waste expensive beer on it, so it kind of became pointless.

    I never had a problem buying skin-on breasts until just about a year or so ago. Now they are hard to find for some reason.

  19. #869
    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    i grill with skin on.....i just don't eat it...
    Do you peel the skin before you microwave it or leave it on?

  20. #870
    Originally Posted by SixBean View Post
    Do you peel the skin before you microwave it or leave it on?
    did you finish your condom stocking route already ?

  21. #871
    Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    did you finish your condom stocking route already ?
    Still counting the beans, but almost quitting time. Now you answer instead of redirecting with another question.

  22. #872
    Originally Posted by SixBean View Post
    Do you peel the skin before you microwave it or leave it on?
    He has to have some else do it...It makes him nauseous......

  23. #873
    Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    He has to have some else do it...It makes him nauseous......
    His wife probably cuts up his food before putting on his plate too.

  24. #874
    And he probably dips his steak in ketchup and ranch. Well done of course.

  25. #875
    I did some yardbird last weekend ....


  26. #876
    Crazyivan's Avatar
    Posts
    6,044
    Join Date
    May 2014

    I guess I'll just stick with steaks, chops, and pork shoulder. Just can't seem to get the flat of a brisket anything but boot sole dry. The Traeger held the temp very well so that really wasn't it. Took the first one out at 185 (taken at the point), let it rest for an hour, and it was decent, but really just on the dry side. Burnt ends and chopped beef was great. Did another one recently and decided to take it off at 181. Everything just seemed to get a little worse. Frustrating to say the least.

  27. #877
    Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    I guess I'll just stick with steaks, chops, and pork shoulder. Just can't seem to get the flat of a brisket anything but boot sole dry. The Traeger held the temp very well so that really wasn't it. Took the first one out at 185 (taken at the point), let it rest for an hour, and it was decent, but really just on the dry side. Burnt ends and chopped beef was great. Did another one recently and decided to take it off at 181. Everything just seemed to get a little worse. Frustrating to say the least.
    You're cooking to the wrong temps. If you want to slice the flat, you need to hit 190. If you want to chop it, shoot for 203.
    The following users like this post: krock918316


  28. #878
    Crazyivan's Avatar
    Posts
    6,044
    Join Date
    May 2014

    Originally Posted by SixBean View Post
    You're cooking to the wrong temps. If you want to slice the flat, you need to hit 190. If you want to chop it, shoot for 203.
    Thanks Six, I'll push it to 190 next time. I chopped much of the point and it was great, which is what I found odd. The flat is what sucked, but I'm sure even pushing it to 190 will still keep the integrity of the flat. I'll let ya know what happens.
    The following users like this post: SixBean


  29. #879
    Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    Thanks Six, I'll push it to 190 next time. I chopped much of the point and it was great, which is what I found odd. The flat is what sucked, but I'm sure even pushing it to 190 will still keep the integrity of the flat. I'll let ya know what happens.
    Also, try wrapping in foil or preferably butcher paper, when it hits 160. That'll help with moisture. Just don't use the waxed or coated beauty richer paper.

  30. #880
    Crazyivan's Avatar
    Posts
    6,044
    Join Date
    May 2014

    Originally Posted by SixBean View Post
    Also, try wrapping in foil or preferably butcher paper, when it hits 160. That'll help with moisture. Just don't use the waxed or coated beauty richer paper.
    Yep, wrapped it in butcher paper also, although it was about 155. I have a Traeger so it was Smoke setting for much of the cook, then wrapped it in the paper for the duration. I'll go with the 160/190 next time.

  31. #881
    Speaking of chicken halves ..........

    2 users like Hermit's post: NickDangerThirdEye, SoonerArtillery


  32. #882
    Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Speaking of chicken halves ..........

    Even the Hound would struggle to eat every ****in chicken in the room.

  33. #883
    Turnin all those birds

    2 users like Hermit's post: NickDangerThirdEye, SoonerArtillery