Barry Switzer Rescues Dog

Posted 498 day(s) ago 2026 Views 25 Replies

Barry Switzer Rescues Dog

The King saves the day for a poor trapped dog inside a car from the sweltering Oklahoma heat. Well done, Coach.

http://www.theticket.com/page.php?page_id=87
    4 users like Onikuno's post: ArmySooner, eightisgreat, McRib, SoonerSteve1

4 users like Nuked's post: ArmySooner, OrangeBlossom, oudidntknow84, usaosooner

I remember seeing a commercial years ago when he was still head coach admonishing mouth-breathers not to let their dog ride in the back of a pick-up truck.
    The following users like this post: morrisja20

The King loves the good puppy dog!
    The following users like this post: El Jefe

I was afraid he had busted a car window to save the dog!

"Yeamhm."

Gotta love the King!
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

Switzer's new dog...

Barry is a good guy, I know this for a fact. Maybe I'll share the story again someday.

Former Dallas Cowboys coach rescues Rottweiler from hot car
    NORMAN, Oklahoma (KFOR) – Former Dallas Cowboys coach Barry Switzer has a new best friend after rescuing a dog from a hot car earlier this week.

Switzer said he saw the dog in the vehicle, which had the windows down, but still felt bad for the pup.

He took “Sassy” from the vehicle, found the owners and bought the dog from them on the spot.

Then he took her to a vet for a complete check up.

“I told the doc. I want rabies shots, check for worms, everything,” Switzer said. “They even clipped the toenails so it was a pedicure for her. She went to the spa.”

Switzer took the Rottweiler home to meet his four-legged crew.

He is now calling the pup “Stella” while he hand-picks the new owners.

“I want some loving family who loves dogs and cares about dogs like I do to be able to have her,” Switzer said.

This little guy and Switzer’s German Shepherd, “Sieger” seem to be getting along just fine.
    What kind of owners sell their dog on the spot?

Weird that this just happened. My parents, yes OU grad, are at OSU right now with their little Maltese getting him surgery for the air bubbles in his lungs. One popped the other day and the poor guy was gasping for air.

Originally Posted by Boomer..... View Post
    The type of people that buy Rottweilers and Pit Bulls in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The following users like this post: soonerUthenMe

Originally Posted by fdubzou View Post
    The type of people that buy Rottweilers and Pit Bulls in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Nothing wrong with Rottweilers.

Originally Posted by eightisgreat View Post
    Barry is a good guy, I know this for a fact. Maybe I'll share the story again someday.
    I'd like to hear it.

Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
    I was afraid he had busted a car window to save the dog!
    Wouldn't blame him and he probably would have if he had needed too.

We've been fortunate that as fans, our "name" coaches have been really good guys despite the crap our rivals say about them. I've always liked Switzer and Stoops when I've met them at fan functions and whatnot. Bob sat at our table at the Tulsa Caravan a few years ago and chatted with us about our respective jobs of all things until Joe C. got up and started speaking at the podium. Barry I've met a couple of times and he's been exactly like you see him on TV each time. I've seen him outside of the Cotton Bowl a few times rounding up his guests for OU/TX. My favorite quotes from them to me--
    Bob: "What'd you do to your hand?"
    Me: "I broke it... being stupid."
    Bob: (laughs) "What did you do?"
    Me: "Rather not say..."
    Bob: "I guarantee you it's not as stupid as I've seen when some of my guys have broken their hands."
    Me: "Violent high-fives?"
    Bob: "Sure... we'll call it that."

Me: (talking to one of my friends outside Memorial Stadium with Barry right next to us) "I don't know... some idiot in one of those orange vests."
    Barry: "I suppose if you want to look like a damned idiot, orange is a good color to do it in."

WTF.....tease!

Originally Posted by Boomer..... View Post
    You didn't know the King is a persuasive mofo?

He probably also left with a signed letter of intent and two pans of cracklin bread.

My father flew with my nephews back to OKC and they ended up sitting right next to him on the leg from Dallas. They couldn't believe how personable he was to them. He spoke with them the whole flight and added a wink / pat on back at end.

Originally Posted by Palmbeachsooner View Post
    My father flew with my nephews back to OKC and they ended up sitting right next to him on the leg from Dallas. They couldn't believe how personable he was to them. He spoke with them the whole flight and added a wink / pat on back at end.
    He's a great guy. My father has a good friend who is tight with Switzer. So occasionally my dad will get taken along to the King's parties when he comes up for games. After the A&M game in 2009, me and my wife were about to head back to I-35 when my dad calls and said his friend talked to Switzer and it was fine if we stopped by. All of the greats were there: Joe Washington, Billy Sims, Boz, Greg Pruitt, Spencer Tillman, etc. It was awesome. I introduced myself to him and we had about a 20-30 minute conversation about OU football and other stuff. It was cool of him to stray away from his former players and other close friends to chat with an "Average Joe" like myself.
    The following users like this post: SarasotaSooner

That is so awesome. I'm always so impressed with celebs that don't forget where they came from and are personable. I happen to know Bill Parcells as he lives near me in the winter and I see him just about every day. Same type personality. I've noticed that they are much more relaxed around you when you just treat them like anyone else.

BTW, that must have been some kind of party!

Originally Posted by Stein7495 View Post
    He's a great guy. My father has a good friend who is tight with Switzer. So occasionally my dad will get taken along to the King's parties when he comes up for games. After the A&M game in 2009, me and my wife were about to head back to I-35 when my dad calls and said his friend talked to Switzer and it was fine if we stopped by. All of the greats were there: Joe Washington, Billy Sims, Boz, Greg Pruitt, Spencer Tillman, etc. It was awesome. I introduced myself to him and we had about a 20-30 minute conversation about OU football and other stuff. It was cool of him to stray away from his former players and other close friends to chat with an "Average Joe" like myself.
    The real scary thing is that if you saw Switzer again five years from now he is likely to remember talking to you at that party.
    The following users like this post: ultralance12

It was pretty cool. Mind you, the A&M game was at night and it didn't end until like 11:00 so by the time we got to the King's house it was close to midnight and he was pretty drunk! I also had a pretty long conversation with Lil Joe. He's just like Switzer, very sociable and a super nice guy. And Yuck Fu, I did happen to run into Barry at a gas station in Norman back in the spring of 2011. He said he remembers because that was apparently the last time that many of his former players were over at his house all together.