vCash

Landry Jones Switzer: Landry is a first round QB

Back in August, Barry Switzer took in one of Oklahoma's two-a-day practices alongside Bob Stoops. Together, they began eyeballing quarterback Landry Jones.

“He's sitting there for about a half-hour and says, ‘Bob, this guy is going to be a first-round draft pick,'” Stoops recalled Fiesta Bowl week. “He, you know, evaluates talent pretty well. ... and that was his assessment of watching a second-year guy, watching his ability and talent."

Before long, Switzer could be proven right.

Considering how high Washington's Jake Locker (eighth overall) Missouri's Blaine Gabbert (tenth) and Florida State's Christian Ponder (twelfth) went over the weekend In the NFL Draft, Jones certainly has the chance in 2013 — or 2012 — to join Sam Bradford as Sooner quarterbacks drafted in the first round.

After all, despite being two years younger, Jones outplayed Locker, Gabbert and Ponder last season, while leading the Sooners to a 12-2 record. Jones threw for more yards and touchdowns, completed a higher percentage of passes, and claimed — by far — the best quarterback rating of the four.

Sure, Jones benefitted from a superior supporting cast. He also had a couple of mediocre performances earlier on, notably at Missouri, in which Gabbert outperformed him.

But there's no denying that Jones progressed rapidly the second half of the season, propelling the Sooners to thrilling wins at Oklahoma State, Nebraska in Big 12 Championship and Connecticut in the Fiesta Bowl.

"He's really come a long way,” Stoops said. “He's a hard worker, he's talented, he's got a great arm.”

Jones may not be the can't-miss pro prospect that Bradford was. Or Cam Newton appears to be.

But Jones has several factors working in his favor that could ultimately help make him a first rounder:

1. A 6-foot-4, 230-pound frame, roughly the same size as Gabbert. Unlike Boise State's returning All-American Kellen Moore, only 6-foot tall, Jones has prototypical size of an NFL quarterback.

2. Arm strength. OU's offense, while not exactly pro style, requires the quarterback to make NFL throws. Jones has proven he can make those throws.

3. No red flags when it comes to injuries or durability.

4. Bradford's rookie success. NFL franchises like going back to wells that produce — just look at the recent run of USC quarterbacks.

5. A considerable body of work, which should comprise 37 starts at the end of next season. Track record is a trait NFL scouts covet in quarterbacks.

Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki is among those who believe Jones has first-round potential.

“He looks the part with a very strong arm, good accuracy and physical tools to harness,” wrote Nawrocki, who has Jones as the second-best returning pro quarterback prospect, behind only Stanford's Andrew Luck, the presumptive No. 1 overall pick for the 2012 draft.

“He knows where to go with the ball, throws accurately on the move and has appeared more confident and composed.”

Jones could stay for his senior season. But should he come out next year, he'll be part of a strong quarterback draft class.

Some believe Luck is the top quarterback prospect since Peyton Manning. USC's Matt Barkley, Michigan State's Kirk Cousins, Arizona's Nick Foles and OSU's Brandon Weeden will be first-round contenders, as well.

But, as Switzer predicted, Jones figures to be right there with them.

"He's already shown he's an excellent quarterback,” Stoops said.

“But he has a chance to be one of those elite guys.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/ous-landry-jones-stac ... z1LDQhiC00

vCash

Re: Switzer: Landry is a first round QB

Well said. We will have to see how this season goes, but I hope he goes in the first round.. if he decides to enter! Go Landry!

vCash

He would have been a first rounder this year....

The King is the King. Have to believe in him. Trust him the way I trust Stoops.

vCash

He has all the intangibles but lets just see if he continues to make improvements and avoid mental errors. He really was pretty special in a few games last year.

The King has spoken. 'Nuff said.

:King:

vCash

IDK Acoustic Soup has a gut feeling about him not being worthy...

vCash

If Ponder is first round? Then most definitely.

vCash

Originally Posted by usaosooner
    Jones may not be the can't-miss pro prospect that Bradford was. Or Cam Newton appears to be.
    What? Who thinks that Cam Newton is a "can't miss" pro-prospect. Say hello to Jamarcus Russell 2 Electric Boogaloo.

vCash

Originally Posted by Bashtard
    He would have been a first rounder this year....
    It's as easy as this.

Who cares? The King has spoken.

So let it be written. So let it be done.

vCash

Originally Posted by ElGuapoSooner View Post
    What? Who thinks that Cam Newton is a "can't miss" pro-prospect. Say hello to Jamarcus Russell 2 Electric Boogaloo.
    if you've watched cam play any pro football these too years, no way in hell can you compare him to Russell. Russell was a lazy **** and couldn't care less about winning or losing. Cam, while immature ... goes out and competes. when he has healthy rb's, this guy is good.

anyhow, tannehill was drafted to be the 3rd string qb and still went in first round. king has spoken ... LJ will go high too.

vCash

I will put a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger if Dallas drafts him.

vCash

The Cards would take him over Kolb/Skelton/Lindley cluster**** out here
    The following users like this post: ElGuapoSooner

vCash

There are atleast 5 teams looking for a QB next season

vCash

Switzer: Landry is a first round QB

Current need?: Cards, Buffalo, Jets (God no...)? Kansas City, Oakland

Future: Pittsburgh, Denver, San Diego, New Orleans, Giants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Tannehill were drafted earlier first round.

vCash

Guy is going to be a damn good pro

vCash

Originally Posted by Irish_Sooner View Post
    Yeah, just wait until he starts playing superstar DBs.

Switzer: Landry is a first round QB

5 rookie QBs starting from day one and performing well this year in the NFL Everyone will be scrambling to get theirs next year.

vCash

I really hope that Dallas picks him up.

vCash

Originally Posted by azwe View Post
    Too easy.
    The following users like this post: tcrb

vCash

Originally Posted by br819 View Post
    Ha, I trust Barry much more.

vCash

Originally Posted by tcrb View Post
    I really hope that Dallas picks him up.
    I don't like dallas either.

vCash

Actually I think he has a shot.

Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    Current need?: Cards, Buffalo, Jets (God no...)? Kansas City, Oakland

Future: Pittsburgh, Denver, San Diego, New Orleans, Giants?

Denver has already talked up the guy from Arizona State as the QB of the future.

Here's a list of franchises that should be looking for a QB
    Kansas City
    Arizona
    Buffalo
    Oakland
    Chargers(I think they get rid of Rivers after this year)
    and maybe Philadelphia

Teams that should be looking for a QB but might not because they have youngish QBs(that aren't any good)
    New York Jets
    Tennessee
    Jacksonville(although they may try to somehow get Tebow if the Jets unload him)
    Minnesota

Teams that could be looking for the guy for the future won't be taking QB in the first round.

vCash

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    I don't like dallas either.

vCash

I just hope he doesn't have to go up against Colvin and Hurst in somebodies secondary because yesterday you said they were going to be damn good pros.

Whatever team Landry goes to better have a damn good pro offensive line though.

I hope he goes in the bottom of the first round to a solid team. Plays behind a damn good pro QB for a couple of years and then takes the reigns.

Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
    I don't like azwe either.
    FIFY

vCash

Damn I hope he goes to Dallas now.
    3 users like OUCarlton's post: pphilfran, SpankyNek, suncoastsooner

vCash

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    I just hope he doesn't have to go up against Colvin and Hurst in somebodies secondary because yesterday you said they were going to be damn good pros.
    I do not get it. What is "bad/absurd" about predicting 3 of OU's best players are going to have success in the NFL? Does that seem far-fetched to you? It isn't like I am talking about 3 NFL prospects coming out of William & Mary(no offense Darren Sharper).

Oh also if you want to add another ";smug;" smiley face for no good reason ... I also think Tony Jefferson will play for more than the average 4ish years in the NFL(aka have a successful NFL career).

And finally just to take a shit on your ignorant theory that I think that every player that OU puts out will do well in the NFL I will go on record and say that I hope for his sake that Kenny Stills earns his degree and that it is more useful than a "General Studies" or "African American Studies" degree.

Will have an outstanding NFL career:

Aaron Colvin
    Landry Jones
    Trey Millard

At worst will make a solid living in "The League" and will last longer than the average NFL player lasts(3-4 years):

Tony Jefferson
    Demontre Hurst
    Tress Way

Hopefully he gets a useful degree(don't get me wrong I have nothing against these players here at OU):

Kenny Stills
    Javon Harris
    Jamarkus McFarland
    Stacy Mcgee

You see Yuck Fu a guy earning 4 years worth of NFL game checks is going to be ahead financially(assuming he isn't an idiot) of 99% of other young adults his age. So when I say a College player is going to be successful in the NFL it may not always mean what someone like you would think it means.

vCash

Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please DallasPlease Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry, Please Dallas draft Landry. Amen.
    2 users like OUrage's post: jOUhn, SoonerBeerSnob

vCash

You know, some think Romo is damn good too....
    The following users like this post: boomermagic

vCash

I do not get it. What is "bad/absurd" about predicting 3 of OU's best players are going to have success in the NFL? Does that seem far-fetched to you? It isn't like I am talking about 3 NFL prospects coming out of William & Mary(no offense Darren Sharper).

Oh also if you want to add another ";smug;" smiley face for no good reason ... I also think Tony Jefferson will play for more than the average 4ish years in the NFL(aka have a successful NFL career).

And finally just to take a shit on your ignorant theory that I think that every player that OU puts out will do well in the NFL I will go on record and say that I hope for his sake that Kenny Stills earns his degree and that it is more useful than a "General Studies" or "African American Studies" degree.

Will have an outstanding NFL career:

Aaron Colvin
    Landry Jones
    Trey Millard

At worst will make a solid living in "The League" and will last longer than the average NFL player lasts(3-4 years):

Tony Jefferson
    Demontre Hurst
    Tress Way

Hopefully he gets a useful degree(don't get me wrong I have nothing against these players here at OU):

Kenny Stills
    Javon Harris
    Jamarkus McFarland
    Stacy Mcgee

You see Yuck Fu a guy earning 4 years worth of NFL game checks is going to be ahead financially(assuming he isn't an idiot) of 99% of other young adults his age. So when I say a College player is going to be successful in the NFL it may not always mean what someone like you would think it means.
    Apparently you take the "smug" emoticon pretty seriously.
    The following users like this post: Irish_Sooner

vCash

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    Apparently you take the "smug" emoticon pretty seriously.
    Damn straight! And don't post it again!!!

vCash

Damn straight! And don't post it again!!!
    OK. After that beatdown I won't. I must admit that I agree with you list although I really think Hurst will do well. I think Stills can play at a high level if he can learn to go across the middle without flinching.

Finally, I think Lane Johnson has a chance probably FA and if he can get on a team he might be able to contribute.

Great arm strength, if he does not lock in on a receiver he will do good. If he locks in it will be int hell.

Don't know who this Landry is, but NFP has a Mr. Matthew Jones, QB, Oklahoma projected to be taken in the third round.....Geez, what a difference a year makes. Now they don't even remember his name.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...l?sct=hp_t2_a7

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    Originally Posted by ChpThril View Post
    You know, some think Romo is damn good too....
    he is!
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

Originally Posted by br819 View Post

Hate to say this, but the King is also the one who told us Metoyer was all that.......and he was a nobody out there.

Landry, as an NFL draftee, is a "project". Projects aren't 1st round picks.

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    Originally Posted by mightysooner View Post
    Hate to say this, but the King is also the one who told us Metoyer was all that.......and he was a nobody out there.
    well he wasn't the only one saying that. everybody was.

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash
    in no way is he a project

[COUGH]TIM TEBOW[/COUGH]

vCash

do you even watch football? tannehill was drafted to be 3rd string QB as a "project".

Landry isn't a sure thing like Griffin or Luck last year but he's not a project because he can basically make all the throws and will be NFL ready in that way. In some ways Griffin is more a project than Landry is. It'll come down to how fast Landry can pick up the offense and how he reads defenses in the NFL. He won't be throwing the ball nearly 45-50 times a game most likely so that will probably help him in the pros if anything.
    2 users like SoonerLibertarian's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, fdubzou

vCash

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Landry perform in an offense where he doesn't have to stand and stare at the sideline for 25 seconds and then run up and down the line trying to change the play with 7 seconds left on the play clock. I think he's going to surprise a lot of the Landry haters.
    The following users like this post: OKthere

vCash

number 1 overall to Kansas City

(I'm not calling it I just want to get some of you haters and ****s all riled up)

Landry is the man!