Switzer: Landry is a first round QB

Posted 1184 day(s) ago by usaosooner4316 Views 72 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by SoonerBounce View Post
    in no way is he a project
    Sure he is. He often makes poor use of his pocket by not stepping up into it, or exits the pocket early and usually in the worst possible direction. How can anyone say he doesn't play with a level of fear after watching him for four years? He does. He also stares down first reads and/or doesn't go through all his reads very well and he's inconsistent with his level of confidence. I'm not a Landry hater at all but I can clearly see his underdeveloped weaknesses that an NFL coach will have to address.
    The following users like this post: SilksKS

vCash

Originally Posted by mightysooner View Post
    Sure he is. He often makes poor use of his pocket by not stepping up into it, or exits the pocket early and usually in the worst possible direction. How can anyone say he doesn't play with a level of fear after watching him for four years? He does. He also stares down first reads and/or doesn't go through all his reads very well and he's inconsistent with his level of confidence. I'm not a Landry hater at all but I can clearly see his underdeveloped weaknesses that an NFL coach will have to address.
    Look at you using jargon like you have a clue what you are talking about. They don't expect QBs to be NFL ready, they just look for a skill set. Landry has the skill set. First 2 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by OuachitaSooner View Post
    Look at you using jargon like you have a clue what you are talking about. They don't expect QBs to be NFL ready, they just look for a skill set. Landry has the skill set. First 2 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Didn't say he didn't have the potential tools. Hence the "project". Late 2nd round, early 3rd, probably somewhere in there.

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    do you even watch football? tannehill was drafted to be 3rd string QB as a "project".
    Right.. The dolphins picked him up at #8 overall to sit behind Matt Moore and David Gerard.
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash

Lol I don't think you understand the word project

vCash

do you even watch football? tannehill was drafted to be 3rd string QB as a "project".
    I can't stop laughing at this. You really think that Tannehill was drafted to be a third string benchwarmer?

vCash

Originally Posted by ResidentEvil View Post
    I can't stop laughing at this. You really think that Tannehill was drafted to be a third string benchwarmer?
    well, when gerard took ALL the snaps in summer before he got hurt, i'm assuming YES. Matt moore was next in line because of his great play at end of last season.

was he drafted to be bench warmer forever ... no, but he was drafted 1st round with management understanding that the might not start first year. between your giggling, try watching some football and you too might have known this too.

vCash

If you had watched football you would have known that Tannehill didn't even sign his contract and report to camp until July 28th (a week and half or so before the first preseason game). So it makes sense that someone other than he would have taken all the snaps during summer camp.

vCash

it didn't matter, they were planning to play gerard the whole time with moore as the back up ... thus drafting him as the 3rd string. NEVER did they draft him and say that the position was his ... i.e Luck, RG3.

if they had, they would have given him the starter reps as soon as he got signed ... they didn't. he played due to 1) injury to gerard, 2) out played moore. if they knew that we was the number 1, they would have gotten him as many reps as they could immediately.

vCash

I'd rather keep Romo.

vCash

"In Garrard's absence, Moore struggled, but the rookie Tannehill looked comfortable running the offense on his way to passing for 167 yards and a touchdown.

A source close to the competition told Ben Volin of The Palm Beach Post that quarterback coach Zac Taylor had "to call in the play two or three times (in practice), or have a teammate explain the play to (Garrard), before recalling the play and everyone's responsibility."

That little nugget presents a ripe opportunity to overreact, but the reality in Miami is that Tannehill -- seen previously as a slow-cook project -- might be closer to moving up the depth chart than previously believed." miami herald ...

you don't "move up the depth chart" if your number 1. sorry to interrupt with facts but he wasn't drafted to be immediate starter.

Originally Posted by ResidentEvil View Post
    I can't stop laughing either. Miami, who hasn't had a QB since Marino retired, drafted Tannehill to sit 3rd string behind crappy Gerard and Moore? That's laughable. If they were comfortable that either of those two QB's could lead the program into the future, they would've filled other needs and drafted another position. Not only do I watch football, I watch the draft too. Drafting Tannehill was a no brainer. He's a big, tough, smart QB who operates from under center, has a strong arm with great accuracy, and can extend plays with his feet. He's everything the NFL looks for.

vCash

I can't stop laughing either. Miami, who hasn't had a QB since Marino retired, drafted Tannehill to sit 3rd string behind crappy Gerard and Moore? That's laughable. If they were comfortable that either of those two QB's could lead the program into the future, they would've filled other needs and drafted another position. Not only do I watch football, I watch the draft too. Drafting Tannehill was a no brainer. He's a big, tough, smart QB who operates from under center, has a strong arm with great accuracy, and can extend plays with his feet. He's everything the NFL looks for.
    not sure if we're talking about the same tannehill:

"weaknesses

A little on the slim side at 220 pounds
    Very inconsistent footwork - takes unnecessary steps, throws off his back foot too often, also lifts it needlessly, causing passes to sail
    Irregular throwing motion - drops arm too often and has too many passes batted at the line despite being as tall as he is
    Lacks accuracy on downfield throws
    Doesn't seem to have the best peripheral vision when it comes to seeing the pass rush
    Doesn't protect the football as well as he should - threw nine picks over his final six games in 2011, finishing with 15 interceptions on the year
    Can struggle with in-play coverage reads
    Prematurely reacts to pressure
    Recovering from a broken bone in his foot

Expected draft placement

Tannehill is probably a late first-round or early second-round selection in April's draft. He is a bit of a project quarterback and will need time to develop in the pros, so teams shouldn't view him as an NFL-ready prospect. "

this was his overall evaulation after the combine period.

He has the arm, thats for sure. Just gotta stop falling back when he throws with somebody in his face. When he sets and throws though, he has a cannon. Best arms in the Stoops era, in order; Hybl, Jones, Bradford, White, Bomar, Thompson, Huepul. 6 if tge 7 have a B12 title by the way and Bomar probably would have one if handnt screwed up.

vCash

Originally Posted by bruthaman View Post
    He has the arm, thats for sure. Just gotta stop falling back when he throws with somebody in his face. When he sets and throws though, he has a cannon. Best arms in the Stoops era, in order; Hybl, Jones, Bradford, White, Bomar, Thompson, Huepul. 6 if tge 7 have a B12 title by the way and Bomar probably would have one if handnt screwed up.
    my order is a little different than yours ... listed by arm strength ... Jones, Hybl, Bradford, Bomar, thompson, White, Heupel

Originally Posted by bruthaman View Post
    He has the arm, thats for sure. Just gotta stop falling back when he throws with somebody in his face.
    When you have that strong of an arm it doesn't matter. Watch the top QBs in the NFL today as far as arm strength goes and they throw off their back foot a lot. But it doesn't matter because they have the arm strength to make the throw.

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    my order is a little different than yours ... listed by arm strength ... Jones, Hybl, Bradford, Bomar, thompson, White, Heupel
    White had by far the most accurate deep ball he would be 3rd on my list behind Bradford and Jones

vCash

Originally Posted by SoonerLibertarian View Post
    White had by far the most accurate deep ball he would be 3rd on my list behind Bradford and Jones
    in arm strength .. white is not close to Hybl bomar or PT ....

not sure if we're talking about the same tannehill:

"weaknesses

A little on the slim side at 220 pounds
    Very inconsistent footwork - takes unnecessary steps, throws off his back foot too often, also lifts it needlessly, causing passes to sail
    Irregular throwing motion - drops arm too often and has too many passes batted at the line despite being as tall as he is
    Lacks accuracy on downfield throws
    Doesn't seem to have the best peripheral vision when it comes to seeing the pass rush
    Doesn't protect the football as well as he should - threw nine picks over his final six games in 2011, finishing with 15 interceptions on the year
    Can struggle with in-play coverage reads
    Prematurely reacts to pressure
    Recovering from a broken bone in his foot

Expected draft placement

Tannehill is probably a late first-round or early second-round selection in April's draft. He is a bit of a project quarterback and will need time to develop in the pros, so teams shouldn't view him as an NFL-ready prospect. "

this was his overall evaulation after the combine period.
    Other than the irregular throwing motion, I'd list those exact weaknesses about Jones. I'm not dogging the guy and I'm not a Jones hater. I just think he's more of a project than Tannehill allegedly was supposed to be. Tannehill is starting for the Dolphins and won the job outright and is playing well. I don't see Landry doing that.

vCash

Other than the irregular throwing motion, I'd list those exact weaknesses about Jones. I'm not dogging the guy and I'm not a Jones hater. I just think he's more of a project than Tannehill allegedly was supposed to be. Tannehill is starting for the Dolphins and won the job outright and is playing well. I don't see Landry doing that.
    i don't understand why though .... did you see something in tannehill when he threw three pic against ut? he was horrible end of his last season.

i don't understand why though .... did you see something in tannehill when he threw three pic against ut? he was horrible end of his last season.
    I'm sure Peyton Manning had a game where he threw 3 picks somewhere during his college career. One game doesn't define NFL potential and I distinctly remember Landry throwing 5 picks against Nebraska. Does that define his potential in the NFL too? No. I watched Tannehill continuously make play after play with his arm, operating from under center (not the shotgun or pistol), and extending plays with his feet over and over again. I'd have taken Tannehill over Jones last year, and I'd do the same this year too.

vCash

I'm sure Peyton Manning had a game where he threw 3 picks somewhere during his college career. One game doesn't define NFL potential and I distinctly remember Landry throwing 5 picks against Nebraska. Does that define his potential in the NFL too? No. I watched Tannehill continuously make play after play with his arm, operating from under center (not the shotgun or pistol), and extending plays with his feet over and over again. I'd have taken Tannehill over Jones last year, and I'd do the same this year too.
    you saw landry throw five pics againts neb 3 seasons ago ... i saw tannehill making plays with his arm and feet to the result of 6 loses his last season. his last few games were horrennnnnddous. biggest game for them was against texas for the "last time EVER" at end of seaon and case mccoy out played him .. yes case freakin mccoy.

tannehill got drafted high after the combine and scout day at atm where he excelled with his physical attributes thus the reason why scouts tagged him as "bit of a project quarterback and will need time to develop in the pros". in no way is he even close to landry based on what they did during game. ... and landry as yet to go to combine or get his scout day for grades.

SoonerBounce Guest
    vCash

I don't get this thread at all. Smh