Apple

Posted 1474 day(s) ago by oucub2360439 Views 898 Replies
Page 18 of 18 8 16 17 18

Could someone give a quick Cliff Notes on the upgrade and differences twixt the 8 and the X?
    I went to Apple's website and it gave me a seizure Andromeda Strain-like.

TIA

(also, will there be a 7S or 8S?)

Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
    Could someone give a quick Cliff Notes on the upgrade and differences twixt the 8 and the X?
    I went to Apple's website and it gave me a seizure Andromeda Strain-like.

TIA

(also, will there be a 7S or 8S?)
    Compare iPhone models

In a nutshell the differences are:
    • X is almost entirely screen and with more screen real estate you get a bigger screen in the same size device - X is about the same size as 8 and smaller than Plus
    • X has OLED screen = better picture, contrast etc.
    • Price - X starts at $1K and goes up
    • Face ID on X instead of Touch ID
    The following users like this post: Bubblehead

The more I think about it, the more I am rethinking iPhone X. I like touch ID, I don't like ramifications of having my phone unlock with my face. I dunno, now I have some concerns. Going forward, when I cross borders I am turning off Touch ID and just requiring pin code. Laws are stronger for that. I am not sure about face id.
    2 users like OnlyOneOklahoma's post: oucub23, ThievingMagpie

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I am rethinking iPhone X. I like touch ID, I don't like ramifications of having my phone unlock with my face. I dunno, now I have some concerns. Going forward, when I cross borders I am turning off Touch ID and just requiring pin code. Laws are stronger for that. I am not sure about face id.
    Same. I like the full screen--don't like face recog at all. I'll get a 7+ or 8+ most likely when I upgrade my 6+.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Same. I like the full screen--don't like face recog at all. I'll get a 7+ or 8+ most likely when I upgrade my 6+.
    Agreed. Next year's premium model will likely have touch id on the device. I am just more concerned about my phone being unlocked without my explicit consent. 8+ it is for me. I poked around today on the iPhone X and it is not any different from the iPhone-non-plus models UI wise. Springboard doesn't rotate, mail and messages don't have the extra views when in landscape. It is essentially an ultra-high-def iPhone 6, no benefits from the operating system that we have grown accustomed to in the + models.

I agree. I don't want faceID. However, I did read a little note on twitter that there is a panic button to disable it....for crossing borders and such.

I share similar thoughts about the X and face ID. Also while the entire thing being screen is neat, I have concerns about it making it easier to crack the screen if you drop it (even in a case). With two kids that are always picking up my phone, it is going to happen.
    2 users like mgsooner's post: cosmoxl, SiggyPoke

The Apple Watch Series 3 is the most intriguing update to me this go around. I still have the first generation model and it's still been running great.

Phone cost have gotten out of control. Add to the fact that there is no benefit to sign a contract anymore, unless you want to finance your phone, I think phone companies are gauging us big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3 users like Sugasean's post: cosmoxl, oucub23, Sooner Showtime

Originally Posted by SiggyPoke View Post
    The Apple Watch Series 3 is the most intriguing update to me this go around. I still have the first generation model and it's still been running great.
    agree. I'm half thinking I don't need a new phone and I'd rather get that. I need a heart rate monitor for exercise (I don't currently have one), and now with a phone built in it's almost a no-brainer.
    The following users like this post: SiggyPoke

Originally Posted by cosmoxl View Post
    agree. I'm half thinking I don't need a new phone and I'd rather get that. I need a heart rate monitor for exercise (I don't currently have one), and now with a phone built in it's almost a no-brainer.
    The heart rate monitor is great.
    2 users like SiggyPoke's post: cosmoxl, OnlyOneOklahoma

Apple

The battery on the first gen is shit compared to second gen.

I actually like being able to swim in it--don't have to crawl out of the pool to respond to a text.

Watch OS 4 is super nice. I am intrigued by the watch with cellular. Very rarely am I without my phone, so I am not sure how much I'd use it. I guess it would be nice if I didn't have to take my phone running, however Apple needs some better API's for app developers on the watch to get audio as good as Apple Music is. Spotify and Overcast are my two most used apps, and the last watch app for Overcast was a bit garbage.

Any thoughts on the safety of the radiation from the cellular watch being different/more dangerous than the usual phone considering it's attached to your body most of the day?

I'd love some insight different from my confused brain:

I have a 6S work phone that I cannot use when I travel overseas (unless on wi-fi). I have two trips between now and the end of the year, each approx 2 weeks in length.

I do not have a personal phone account with any carrier, but I have access to a 5S iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy S II. I would like to have a Smart Phone on my trip for directions, texting, etc. Of course I don't want to sign up for a 2-year agreement with an ancient phone that I won't use after January.

Any recommendations? TIA

I have a 6S work phone that I cannot use when I travel overseas (unless on wi-fi). I have two trips between now and the end of the year, each approx 2 weeks in length.

I do not have a personal phone account with any carrier, but I have access to a 5S iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy S II. I would like to have a Smart Phone on my trip for directions, texting, etc. Of course I don't want to sign up for a 2-year agreement with an ancient phone that I won't use after January.

Any recommendations? TIA
    If any of those phones are unlocked, or you can get unlocked, you should be able to purchase a prepaid plan once you get to your destination. Just insert the new sim chip. The phone must be a GSM phone - not Verizon or Sprint.

If they are not unlocked, but you've fulfilled all contractual obligations, you should be able to get an unlock code from your carrier.

If any of those phones are unlocked, or you can get unlocked, you should be able to purchase a prepaid plan once you get to your destination. Just insert the new sim chip. The phone must be a GSM phone - not Verizon or Sprint.

If they are not unlocked, but you've fulfilled all contractual obligations, you should be able to get an unlock code from your carrier.
    Great stuff. So by my carrier, you mean the carrier that the phone matches up with when it was originally purchased? (AT&T) I don't have a carrier now. Perhaps I'll need to go to an AT&T store, since there would be no signal, or would I follow a drilldown in the phone to enter the code, even without the signal.

I hope my questions make sense.

2 year contracts went the way of the T-Rex.

Great stuff. So by my carrier, you mean the carrier that the phone matches up with when it was originally purchased? (AT&T) I don't have a carrier now. Perhaps I'll need to go to an AT&T store, since there would be no signal, or would I follow a drilldown in the phone to enter the code, even without the signal.

I hope my questions make sense.
    Yeah, you'll need to talk to ATT about this and ask them this question. IOW, I don't know if it can be unlocked without a way to make a connection with the carrier.

Did they? Perhaps I should sell my Cingular shares.

Actually I didn't know that. My first contract with AT&T (pre Cingular) was for a Nokia candybar and I didn't cancel that number until about 9 months ago.

This is going to get me where I need to be. Thanks x 1000000.
    The following users like this post: cosmoxl

Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    I share similar thoughts about the X and face ID. Also while the entire thing being screen is neat, I have concerns about it making it easier to crack the screen if you drop it (even in a case). With two kids that are always picking up my phone, it is going to happen.
    I'm not sure you have to worry about the cracking of the screen. On the older gen models, the glass for the screen goes edge to edge already. So it seems like you'd be equally likely to crack the screen with either phone, however I'm guessing that the screen on this phone is more durable than previous models so it may be less likely. Now having the back of the phone glass as well....I can see that as an issue if you dont use a phone case.

And I'm not too worried about the face ID thing, unless I were to find out that it unlocks randomly as you pass by. I'm betting, based on Apple's previous actions regarding privacy of information on a phone, that the phone is defaulted to not unlock unless its sure that you're trying to unlock it (i.e. open eyes, staring right at phone).

And there's nothing stopping a cop (or other nefarious govt individual) from grabbing your thumb and putting it on your home button as is....so I dont think that its going to make it any easier for them to violate your rights.....but if it's an issue, can always turn that feature off.

I'm going to get one (at some point) because I want the edge to edge screen (i.e. more screen real estate than my + in a smaller overall form factor), the really good screen and wireless charging.
    The following users like this post: mgsooner

Apple: Face ID didn't fail at iPhone X launch; our staff did

This never would've happened under Jobs' watch.

Any recommendations? TIA
    So I reached out to my Corporate Mobile team, yes we have a team that handles phones, and they put my phone on an International Plan which costs $10 per day. I didn't think they would do that so I'm pleased. I suppose that will do and I won't have to diddle about with another phone and obtaining SIM cards.

Once again, thanks for the input!

The Tech Guy thinks that while Apple is fine for now, he can see that they've started going in a negative direction as a company. He said Apple is starting to revert back to the days before Jobs' return in the 90's when they had too many choices. Jobs famously came in, streamlined, and cleaned up the product line.

The Tech Guy thinks that while Apple is fine for now, he can see that they've started going in a negative direction as a company. He said Apple is starting to revert back to the days before Jobs' return in the 90's when they had too many choices. Jobs famously came in, streamlined, and cleaned up the product line.

Too many phones, too many ipads, I agree with that. I'd rather them just release the X, not an 8 and X. I say that even though I would buy the 8, not the X at this point. I can't even keep up with all the ipads available. But, having a cellular and non-cellular watch makes sense. It also probably makes sense for them to sell older versions of hardware at reduced prices since development and manufacture costs are already recovered assuming hardware supply remains.

2 users like The Duke's post: Section31, traxx

Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    That's a huge chunk of change for the entire Cracker Barrel menu.

I'll just take chicken fried steak, dumplings, and fried okra and keep my 7+.

Dipping my toe back into the android pond again. Got the note 8 and will probably activate it this evening or tomorrow. Now I'm out of my comfort zone as far as smart phones go. Just tired of apple and their constantly blocking my illegal apps like movie box. Dang security. I can watch movies for a few days and then Bam, unauthorized app and have to delete and try to figure out a way to get it back

Originally Posted by Sugasean View Post
    Dipping my toe back into the android pond again. Got the note 8 and will probably activate it this evening or tomorrow. Now I'm out of my comfort zone as far as smart phones go. Just tired of apple and their constantly blocking my illegal apps like movie box. Dang security. I can watch movies for a few days and then Bam, unauthorized app and have to delete and try to figure out a way to get it back

Illegal apps? Have fun with that malware.

Illegal apps? Have fun with that malware.
    Was being facetious with the illegal part. But they aren't official App Store apps

Too many phones, too many ipads, I agree with that. I'd rather them just release the X, not an 8 and X. I say that even though I would buy the 8, not the X at this point. I can't even keep up with all the ipads available. But, having a cellular and non-cellular watch makes sense. It also probably makes sense for them to sell older versions of hardware at reduced prices since development and manufacture costs are already recovered assuming hardware supply remains.
    I think that having the three phone models makes sense with this generation.

With the price point of the X, you almost have to have something cheaper...as you are going to lose market share to competitors if you dont. Also, with the supply problems the X is surely to have; having reasonable cheaper options that folks can order on release date will keep more people in iPhones. Also gives those people an avenue to upgrade in the future (i.e. get an 8+ now and in a year move up to an X when they're more readily available). And if you only go with one version of the 8, which one would it be? Big or small size?

Most years I would agree that three phones is too much. But with this release I would disagree. I can honestly see them just doing two phones next year...the upgrade to the X and a more affordable version for those who dont want to or cant pay the $1k.

Tech leaps yearly are too small to warrant price tags that large.
    3 users like oucub23's post: Bob, cosmoxl, Sugasean

Originally Posted by Sugasean View Post

I've considered going back to an iPhone (haven't had a personal iPhone since the 3 or 3G but have a 5s work phone). Didn't even consider the possibility of unauthorized apps being blocked. Might not bother with it now.
    The following users like this post: Sugasean

Originally Posted by ResidentEvil View Post
    With the price point of the X, you almost have to have something cheaper...as you are going to lose market share to competitors if you dont.
    Somehow CNET has decided that Apple wants to depress demand for iPhone and that it's a good thing. They say that's the reason for the $1K price tag. They said doing that will make the iPhone seem cool and exclusive again.

I just updated my iPad to iOS 11. Seems pretty different from the start.

Watch OS 4 is super nice. I am intrigued by the watch with cellular. Very rarely am I without my phone, so I am not sure how much I'd use it. I guess it would be nice if I didn't have to take my phone running, however Apple needs some better API's for app developers on the watch to get audio as good as Apple Music is. Spotify and Overcast are my two most used apps, and the last watch app for Overcast was a bit garbage.
    Which device is better for shitting on churches? Asking for a friend.
    Last edited by htownSOONER; September 20th, 2017 at 10:29 AM.

So just looked over a spec sheet on CNET. The only difference in the 7+ and 8+ is memory options, a minimal chip upgrade, and wireless charging? That’s it?

Yup

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: oucub23

So just looked over a spec sheet on CNET. The only difference in the 7+ and 8+ is memory options, a minimal chip upgrade, and wireless charging? That’s it?
    Glass back and apparently a slight improvement to the color saturation to photos and an improved flash.

Last edited by SiggyPoke; Yesterday at 12:41 PM.

Apple

Glass back and apparently a slight improvement to the color saturation to photos and an improved flash.
    Oddly, the 7+ is lighter.

Oddly, the 7+ is lighter.
    I'm sure that's due to the glass back. The 7 Plus is aluminum.

Apple is the Glock of the tech world. They released things that changed the industry but they're now struggling to keep up with competition and looking dated.

The only thing iPhones have going for them is the processor. The iPhone 7's A10 is faster than the Snapdragon currently in the Note 8 and it just came out. Apple makes a really good processor but it's also made to run a certain OS in certain hardware as well.

The OLED screen in the X is made by Samsung. The same Samsung that has bigger screens with better specs in their latest Galaxy and Note phones.

Wireless charging? That has been out for years.

Water resistant? The newest Note and Galaxy have a higher rating and are water proof.

Expandable memory? Nope. You're stuck with what Apple gives you and can't get more.

No AUX/audio cord plug-in for when you want to hit the road. Can't listen and charge your phone at the same time.

So what exactly is the newest iPhone offering? If you can upgrade or looking for a new phone then I can see somebody getting one but it's not an easy choice. What does it have though to make people want to jump ship to them?

..-. .- -.-. - ... --- ...- . .-. ..-. . . .-.. .. -. --. ...

I dont think that Apple's goal has been "out spec the competition" since other companies started making touch screen smart phones. Where they "distance" themselves from the competition is the OS.

I've ran both Apple and Android phones. IMO, the Android didn't do anything that I wanted to do better than the Apple.

To each their own though.

• Water resistant
    I've never seen the big deal about this. Every time I read a phone review the phone doesn't have water resistance, it's a big knock against it. Personally, I've never found myself in a situation where I'm thinking, "Man, I really wish my phone were water resistant."

• Expandable memory
    That's a deal breaker for me on a phone. I can easily slide in a 128GB or 256GB card for a fraction of the cost that Apple wants to charge for storage on their phones.

• OLED screen
    Why is this a big deal? I've got AMOLED on my sub $200 phone that I've had for about a year and a half.

The best thing about it is the bezeless screen. Premium iPhone features tend to trickle down to the less expensive phones so I'm hoping that's the next trend that the cheap phones jump on. I like the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 but that's still more than I wanna spend.