Apple

Posted 1472 day(s) ago by oucub2359821 Views 890 Replies
Page 17 of 18 7 15 16 17 18

:-/

fyi....
    I bought a used imac several years ago.....it was wiped clean and reset to factory settings...
    over the weekend I decided to update to sierra osx.....
    after updating......the screen went black and then a screen appeared prompting for a 6 digit system unlock pin....
    apparently the previous owner had used a security pin and when sierra did a firmware update...it prompted for that pin...
    I took the imac to the apple store and they could do nothing....so I took it to an apple repair center where they pulled the ram and reinstalled it...
    it cleared the firmware lock pin but my hard drive had been wiped clean....
    quite the pain in the ass...
    had I known about the security pin when I bought it...I would have made sure it was cleared....but It was my first mac product and I didn't know....
    so be forewarned if you ever buy a pre-owned mac...

So this new patent--charging your phone wirelessly when in range of your router. That is a game changer.
    2 users like oucub23's post: SiggyPoke, SoonerVikeThunder

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    So this new patent--charging your phone wirelessly when in range of your router. That is a game changer.
    What is this going to be on? Haven't read anything about this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by Sugasean View Post
    What is this going to be on? Haven't read anything about this

I believe on the iPhone and iPad for now.

I'm guessing that is a long way down the road.

Originally Posted by ResidentEvil View Post
    I'm guessing that is a long way down the road.
    It could be. Apple applies for patents all the time. This one was granted to them.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/05/...-charging.html

1. We still don't have the group texting/texting in general issue resolved with my work phone. I'm super annoyed by it.
    2. I have the same case/different color for both my phones. I can't tell you how many times I grab the wrong one from my purse or off the night stand in the dark - it's almost like the odds of putting in a USB the right way the first time. Have ordered a new/different texture case for my personal phone. Lordt.

I've been thinking that what I really need out of iOS is the ability to allow notifications from certain apps through the do not disturb. Currently they allow repeated phone calls, or calls from favorites through. I need more options.
    The following users like this post: Sugasean

I also wish you could drop people from group text or add people without starting a whole new group text

The following users like this post: cosmoxl

Apple

Originally Posted by Sugasean View Post
    I also wish you could drop people from group text or add people without starting a whole new group text

That is possible, as long as it's iMessage. But we are in an Apple thread so I'm assuming that's what you are referring to.
    The following users like this post: Sugasean

Originally Posted by SixBean View Post
    That is possible, as long as it's iMessage. But we are in an Apple thread so I'm assuming that's what you are referring to.
    Wish you could do it in normal text messages that are groups. That's what I meant. There's always one person in a group that has a droid phone that ruins it for us. Haha

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    1. We still don't have the group texting/texting in general issue resolved with my work phone. I'm super annoyed by it.
    2. I have the same case/different color for both my phones. I can't tell you how many times I grab the wrong one from my purse or off the night stand in the dark - it's almost like the odds of putting in a USB the right way the first time. Have ordered a new/different texture case for my personal phone. Lordt.
    never
    happens
    The following users like this post: McRib

Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
    never
    happens
    3 users like DIB's post: Bubblehead, McRib, Sugasean

The 4 Biggest Things Apple Could Announce Next Week

Reports from Bloomberg suggest iOS 11 will include a refreshed user interface and a new version of Apple Music with a bigger focus on video content. There's a chance Apple may add deeper Apple Pencil integration for the iPad in its next software update as well.

Updates to Apple Pay could be in the works, too. Recode reported that the company had been discussing a Venmo-like money transfer system with partners.

[ ... ]

Apple could announce a smart speaker powered by its Siri virtual assistant at this year's WWDC, Bloomberg reports.

[ ... ]

The company is expected to introduce a MacBook Pro with Intel's newer Kaby Lake generation processor, an upgraded version of the 12-inch MacBook with a faster Intel chip and a MacBook Air with a refreshed processor, according to Bloomberg.

I'm surprised Apple moved to the bezel-less phone design so quickly. In the past it has taken them forever to change designs. Smart move on their part, though. Going forward, anything not bezel-less is gonna look old and outdated since bezel-less phones have come on the market.

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I'm surprised Apple moved to the bezel-less phone design so quickly. In the past it has taken them forever to change designs. Smart move on their part, though. Going forward, anything not bezel-less is gonna look old and outdated since bezel-less phones have come on the market.
    What's this? I didn't see a phone announced yesterday.

I like the "text-disabled" feature coming in IOS 11. I have been trying very hard to ignore texts while driving, a habit I got into when texting first became a thing.

Seriously?

Wonder how much of a pay that will be if you have it turned on by default for all of your devices . . . hmmm.

Did you ultimately go back to an iPhone after your Android experiment?

I'm currently debating that myself after my last 6-7 years of being on an Android.

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Seriously?

Wonder how much of a pay that will be if you have it turned on by default for all of your devices . . . hmmm.

Did you ultimately go back to an iPhone after your Android experiment?

I'm currently debating that myself after my last 6-7 years of being on an Android.
    I did. Battery life seems better and my family is all on apple, so integration with them was far easier. Really liked the note, but there's not enough difference anymore to matter.

I did. Battery life seems better and my family is all on apple, so integration with them was far easier. Really liked the note, but there's not enough difference anymore to matter.
    I'm pretty much of the same opinion . . . my S7 Edge just seems to be dragging lately. Might wipe and reload it to give it a few more weeks, but can't really decide just yet.

I think if I make the switch I'm leaning towards and iPhone 7 plus, but just don't know how I feel about the lack of an aux jack . . .

I'm pretty much of the same opinion . . . my S7 Edge just seems to be dragging lately. Might wipe and reload it to give it a few more weeks, but can't really decide just yet.

I think if I make the switch I'm leaning towards and iPhone 7 plus, but just don't know how I feel about the lack of an aux jack . . .
    I'm using the 6+ still. Will wait for the 8 or X or whatever it'll be called.
    The following users like this post: Bob

Originally Posted by cosmoxl View Post
    They didn't, but they will have one with the next iPhone.

I'm loving my iPhone 7 Plus. It's been solid overall.

Originally Posted by SiggyPoke View Post
    They didn't, but they will have one with the next iPhone.
    Everything is speculation at this point.

Originally Posted by SixBean View Post
    Everything is speculation at this point.
    I'm not so sure. I know people who know people.

15 iPhone 8 Features "Confirmed" by Massive Leak

from what I understand the iphone 8 won't be my next phone anyway. it'll be priced like it's made of gold. looking forward to the 7s, which is the generation my wife and I usually get. Right now we're using 6s

Leaked recording: Inside Apple’s global war on leakers

According to the hour-long presentation, Apple’s Global Security team employs an undisclosed number of investigators around the world to prevent information from reaching competitors, counterfeiters, and the press, as well as hunt down the source when leaks do occur. Some of these investigators have previously worked at U.S. intelligence agencies like the National Security Agency (NSA), law enforcement agencies like the FBI and the U.S. Secret Service, and in the U.S. military.

[ ... ]

“This has become a big deal for Tim,” Greg Joswiak, Apple’s Vice President of iPod, iPhone and iOS product marketing, says in one of the videos. “Matter of fact, it should be important to literally everybody at Apple that we can't tolerate this any longer.” Later, Joswiak adds that “I have faith deep in my soul that if we hire smart people they’re gonna think about this, they’re gonna understand this, and ultimately they’re gonna do the right thing, and that’s to keep their mouth shut.”

To make sure of it, Apple has built an infrastructure and a team “to come after these leakers,” Joswiak says, and “they're being quite effective.”

[ ... ]

However, Rice says, Apple has cracked down on leaks from its factories so successfully that more breaches are now happening on Apple’s campuses in California than its factories abroad. “Last year was the first year that Apple [campuses] leaked more than the supply chain,” Rice tells the room. “More stuff came out of Apple [campuses] last year than all of our supply chain combined.”

[ ... ]

Apple’s Chinese workers have plenty of incentive to leak or smuggle parts. “A lot, like 99.9 percent, of these folks are good people who are coming to a place that has a job, they're gonna make money, and they're gonna go back and start a business in their province or they're gonna do something else with it, support their family,” Rice says. “But there’s a whole slew of folks that can be tempted because what happens if I offer you, say, three months’ salary?’ In some cases we’ve seen up to a year’s worth of salary being rewarded for stealing product out of the factory.” Apple workers on the production line make approximately $350 a month, not including overtime, according to a 2016 report from China Labor Watch.

[ ... ]

Workers will stash parts in bathrooms, clench them between their toes, throw them over fences, and flush them down the toilet for retrieval in the sewer, Rice says. “We had 8,000 enclosures stolen a long time ago by women putting it in the underwire of their bra,” he says. “They're going to great lengths to steal this stuff. But it's not just enclosures. It's also anything that reveals product prior to announce.”

[ ... ]

Rice says that Apple’s focus on secrecy has not translated to a culture of fear. “I think what is unique at Apple is that we don’t have a Big Brother culture,” Rice says. “There’s nobody on my team reading emails, sitting behind you on the bus, we don’t do that.”

But the presentation makes working for Apple sound like working for the CIA. (At one point, Rice even refers to “blowing cover.”)

[ ... ]

“Active solicitation” is just one part of secrecy at Apple, Rice says; there is also the risk of passively mentioning something. Apple employees are expected to be discreet in their own office. The hallway and the Apple lobby are referred to as “red zones,” which “aren’t places to talk,” Rice says.

[ ... ]

Other tech companies have begun to follow Apple’s lead on instilling a culture of secrecy. According to a 2016 report from Business Insider, Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel has a portrait of Steve Jobs hanging in his office, and the company has cultivated an obsession with leaks similar to Apple’s. Facebook is currently hiring a “Global Threat Investigations Manager,” and Google is facing a lawsuit in San Francisco alleging that the company operates an internal “spying program.”

Report: iPhone 8 to come in four color choices including new ‘mirror-like’ model

https://9to5mac.com/2017/07/08/iphon...-color-option/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=4WHMgBs_C3s

The new iPhone is gonna be $1K.
    Apple reportedly planning $999 price for new iPhone

This seemed a little ridiculous:
    there’s been some assumption that Apple will want to depress sales a bit so that it can better manage supply

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    The new iPhone is gonna be $1K.
    Apple reportedly planning $999 price for new iPhone

This seemed a little ridiculous:
    That will be the price for the 8, but they will also have the 7S and 7S Plus for the expected price. I read the 8 will have a 22k gold case.

Looking forward to a 7s here.

is the over excitement about new iphones over now? not as much chatter about it.

Originally Posted by RedStripe View Post
    is the over excitement about new iphones over now? not as much chatter about it.
    they are such a part of our life now it's just normal I suppose

Just watched the announcements live. I see nothing I have to have, though we might get the iphone 8. I was hoping the apple tv 4k would be better for enthusiasts but it doesn't seem they're supporting things like Atmos and refresh rate changing. Surely they would have mentioned Atmos if it were supported. The face recognition of iphone X looks like it doesn't work (failed on the announcer) and I'm thinking it could be even easier for overreaching authorities to forcibly unlock the phone than touchid.

I'm extremely excited about the release. My 6+ is fritzing out a a bit--at times, the touch stops working and i have to lock it and unlock it to get it going again. That's annoying, at best--the 8 or X or whatever it's called launching means that I can get it, or the 7+ will be cheaper.

Will likely upgrade everything to the newest versions, but not in the immediate 'go wait in line' future.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Will likely upgrade everything to the newest versions, but not in the immediate 'go wait in line' future.
    You'll pay a grand for the X?

What's another couple of bucks after buying the 7+ ? I paid about that for my iPad Pro and it doesn't call anyone, although it does ring... I'm so confused.
    2 users like Bob Loblaw's post: oucub23, SiggyPoke

Nope. I can't see myself doing that.

Nope. I can't see myself doing that.
    Neither can I. Yet.

$1,149 if you want the 256gb.
    2 users like SixBean's post: SiggyPoke, Sugasean

the price for the iphone X isn't even based on inflation. $999 now is still about $932 in October 2012. That's just crazy.

I'm still using a 5s! At first glance I'm looking at the 8 with the smaller screen. $850 for 256gb. What a deal! *shrugs*

the price for the iphone X isn't even based on inflation. $999 now is still about $932 in October 2012. That's just crazy.
    The price is inflated. It doesn't cost 2x as much to put a phone in an iPad.

The price is inflated. It doesn't cost 2x as much to put a phone in an iPad.
    yep

...and yet, every 20-30 something you know will be financing the heck outta those "cutting edge" devices.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

I'll be getting an iPhone X for work. Very excited to develop on it.

Who's actually gonna buy the 8? Everyone is gonna want the X. If you buy an 8 it's not gonna look that different from a 6 or 7. The whole point of having a new iPhone is so that everyone knows it's new and that you're cool.
    3 users like traxx's post: oucub23, RedStripe, Section31