Changing our defense for the ND game

Posted 450 day(s) ago 2588 Views 54 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

NewsOK Changing our defense for the ND game

“There's a good chance,” Stoops said Monday when asked if the Sooners would use a four-man front against Notre Dame. “But I'm not gonna give you any percentages on it.”

Oklahoma has used a four-man front for the great majority of Stoops' time in Norman but through the first three games, the defensive line has been almost exclusively in a three-man front, usually in a 3-3-5 defensive alignment.

Stoops said Torrea Peterson, Jordan Wade and Quincy Russell were the top candidates at defensive tackle to step in next to Jordan Phillips.

http://newsok.com/ou-football-notebo...rticle/3885939

Mind games.

Wasn't the 3-4 used a little bit during the WVU game? I'd expect that if our secondary is able go lockdown mode early in the game, forcing ND to run the ball.

We'll probably need the extra beef to take on their Oline.

I tend to think Mike will dial up the heat a little this week, especially against the run. The only personnel adjustment that I've seen the first couple weeks is replacing Stricker with Alexander.

Originally Posted by MoJoOkie View Post
    We'll probably need the extra beef to take on their Oline.
    Like Alabama did?

Originally Posted by SoonerSapper View Post
    I tend to think Mike will dial up the heat a little this week, especially against the run. The only personnel adjustment that I've seen the first couple weeks is replacing Stricker with Alexander.
    Yeah, I think Mike will likely play it back and forth (between 3 and 4 with their hands on the ground). But I expect some extra heat to come from a lot of different angles.

You know the Stoops Bros. are loving the fact Rees isn't really a run threat.
    4 users like Morningwood's post: BigDoberman, DelMarSooner, MoJoOkie, Stein7495

Yeah, but they have taught him to throw it away instead of the int. 56% completions shouldn't terrify Mike, no run threat to speak of, and basically a short passing philosophy ( 7.9 yd avg). They'll try to get the ball out before the heat can get there. Should be fun.

I believe he said Ward and Onu will be back for this game also. Probably see something similar to what Dallas did to my Rams last week

Originally Posted by Morningwood View Post
    You know all of the OU fans are loving the fact Rees isn't really a run threat.
    FIFY
    2 users like barlowd's post: Morningwood, ouwasp

Originally Posted by soonerUthenMe View Post
    I believe he said Ward and Onu will be back for this game also. Probably see something similar to what Dallas did to my Rams last week
    Hard to believe Ward would be in any kind of game shape.
    The following users like this post: ab5sr

Originally Posted by Morningwood View Post
    You know the Stoops Bros. are loving the fact Rees isn't really a run threat.
    Lets hope he doesn't morph into Johnny Football this weekend.
    The following users like this post: ab5sr

How many threads do we need on this article?

Originally Posted by oudidntknow84 View Post
    How many threads do we need on this article?
    At least two.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Lets hope he doesn't morph into Johnny Football this weekend.
    Rees is more like Johnny ****up than Johnny Football, he can't run and likes to throw it prayers

I hope we get Big 12 officials instead of those idiots that called the Michigan State game last week!!!
    The following users like this post: Dr Sleep

Originally Posted by zevogolf View Post
    I hope we get Big 12 officials instead of those idiots that called the Michigan State game last week!!!
    Yeah, it be great we got the crew that officiated the TCU/Tech game.

I dont care. AS LONG AS WE WIN!

They have stemmed into a "4 man" front with Striker as a "Spinner." I would expect more of the same with a little more of our "3-4" look and run blitzes from our four linebackers look. Maybe not? Just as long as we can stop the run we will be fine.
    The following users like this post: Dr Sleep

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Yeah, it be great we got the crew that officiated the TCU/Tech game.
    Who would they be rooting for though, OU or ND? I've always wanted to see OU awarded a TD by not crossing the goal line like Texas Tech in 2005. That was not awesome.

If our DBs are back 100% healthy and don't have any trouble with the ND WRs, I could see this being a 4-3 game plan for the vast majority of the time out there. The 4-3 usually worked good under Stoops against "pro-style" offenses. I just hope we shut down the run. I think if we do that, then OUr D has done its part to win.
    On offense: Heupel learning how to call a smart game is kinda iffy. Hope to see us be overall the more dominant team physically.

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    Who would they be rooting for though, OU or ND? I've always wanted to see OU awarded a TD by not crossing the goal line like Texas Tech in 2005. That was not awesome.
    went right by ya didn't it

the officials are going to be from the Big12, visiting team brings their officials in non-conference for the most part,unless you're from the Pac, and they paid to have their officials with them at "every" road game.

Originally Posted by greenfacedman View Post
    went right by ya didn't it
    Yup! But I still want to see OU awarded a TD by not crossing the goal line like Texas Tech in 2005.

It doesn't look to me like ND's run game is anywhere near what it was last year. 3.86 average (or some such) and about 2.50 against Purdue and Michigan St. MS looked to have some pretty meaty boys on the DL, but Purdue?

It doesn't look to me like ND's run game is anywhere near what it was last year. 3.86 average (or some such) and about 2.50 against Purdue and Michigan St. MS looked to have some pretty meaty boys on the DL, but Purdue?
    Their backs are significant step down from Wood and Riddick and the dual threat capability of Golson has been removed. They're very much a different offense this season in terms of identity for better or for worse.

Their backs are significant step down from Wood and Riddick and the dual threat capability of Golson has been removed. They're very much a different offense this season in terms of identity for better or for worse.
    Understood, but everyone seems to be concentrating on their run game, and I don't think it's that good. If they can't run on us (they averaged 5.37 against Temple), I don't see their offense doing much at all. And if Rees get pressure, he has a propensity to throwing ints.

Understood, but everyone seems to be concentrating on their run game, and I don't think it's that good. If they can't run on us (they averaged 5.37 against Temple), I don't see their offense doing much at all. And if Rees get pressure, he has a propensity to throwing ints.
    The biggest factor in the game is the jump ball's he is going to throw to his massive WR's. Colvin and Sanchez have to play the ball really well. They are much more of a passing team than last year, and on 3rd down Rees likes to randomly throw it up to the linebackers playing WR they have.

Originally Posted by playmakr View Post
    The biggest factor in the game is the jump ball's he is going to throw to his massive WR's. Colvin and Sanchez have to play the ball really well. They are much more of a passing team than last year, and on 3rd down Rees likes to randomly throw it up to the linebackers playing WR they have.
    His receivers are 6 feet - 6 feet 2 inches.

Only one player is above 6'4" and he hasnt caught so many passes this year. I don't see this being a huge advantage in terms of height. Sanchez and Colvin are both about 6 feet.

Reporter gets an idea in his head. "Notre Dame doesn't pass as much, hmm I bet they'll switch to a 4 man front"

Reporter asks "Coach, Do you think you'll use a 4 man front?"

Coach says, "I dunno, maybe"

The Reporter put's out his article

Originally Posted by playmakr View Post
    Good point and our corners have to do a better job of going for the ball on these types of throws. Colvin has had a weakness in the past where he always stays close to the receiver in coverage but he doesn't go for the ball and focuses on the tackle.

There are two really corrupt crews in the Big 12, one out of Austin and one out of Lubbock.
    2 users like zevogolf's post: Dr Sleep, soonerUthenMe

Originally Posted by srweinbe View Post

Only one player is above 6'4" and he hasnt caught so many passes this year. I don't see this being a huge advantage in terms of height. Sanchez and Colvin are both about 6 feet.
    If I remember right Colvin did not play the ball very well in last years game...

Originally Posted by srweinbe View Post

Who said anything about height?

If I remember right Colvin did not play the ball very well in last years game...
    Correct. He was in position on multiple jump ball type of passes that the more physical WR's ripped out of the air. Hopefully his added size shows itself. Certainly the scouts are watching.

Just win the ****ing game! 1-9 is unacceptable! And, yet Stoops gets an extension on his contract. Hey Boren how about an incentive and give it to Stoops after an ND and another UT win? #rant

Originally Posted by SoonerSteve1 View Post
    Just win the ****ing game! 1-9 is unacceptable! And, yet Stoops gets an extension on his contract. Hey Boren how about an incentive and give it to Stoops after an ND and another UT win? #rant
    Bob's bonuses, as with any coach, are progressive.

You guys think Obo and Ward could actually come in and make a difference? I can't see Ward doing anything.. But Obo had some momentum coming out of spring and I would love to see him come in and compete.

Thoughts?

Striker stayed on the field when Alexander came on. We pulled our nickel
    Originally Posted by SoonerSapper View Post
    The following users like this post: madillsoonerfan5353

Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    Striker stayed on the field when Alexander came on. We pulled our nickel
    ^^^^This! Our new "3-4" base package.

I think he said Ward was cleared to practice. If he is able to jump the d ends in front of him then we are sorely lacking in talent. I think the other guy cleared would be Onuoha. After shoulder surgery he has to be pretty weak with his upper body. Obo didn't get here until summer so maybe you meant coming out of fall practice. I'm not sure why Obo hasn't made the field. Rumors of a concussion before the first game. I'm thinking that Striker is the reason he hasn't seen the field (or at least hoping it's that and not lingering concussion symptoms)
    Originally Posted by Tubadubajuba View Post
    You guys think Obo and Ward could actually come in and make a difference? I can't see Ward doing anything.. But Obo had some momentum coming out of spring and I would love to see him come in and compete.

Thoughts?
    The following users like this post: 65Mustang

Originally Posted by Tubadubajuba View Post

Thoughts?
    Not Ward. Won't see him until Tejas or KU I'd guess. Even by then, we have some good DEs right now that are playing pretty well...if they get mauled or don't put a pass rush vs. ND then sure both DE positions are up for grabs.

Ahh. My bad.. I'm an idiot. Thanks for clearing that up for me! I guess I heard/thought wrong.

Originally Posted by SoonerSteve1 View Post
    In Bob's defense, I think OU played them once or twice before 1999.

Fvckin it live via tapatalk
    2 users like Turk's post: SoonerBeerSnob, Soonerlife

Originally Posted by OU Sam View Post
    Good point and our corners have to do a better job of going for the ball on these types of throws. Colvin has had a weakness in the past where he always stays close to the receiver in coverage but he doesn't go for the ball and focuses on the tackle.
    I think it's crazy to play the ball on those sideline lobs. Let the receiver catch it and knock him out of bounds before he has a chance to get a foot down. If the QB puts on the outside shoulder it's almost impossible to get to the ball anyway.

Originally Posted by 49cent View Post
    If our DBs are back 100% healthy and don't have any trouble with the ND WRs, I could see this being a 4-3 game plan for the vast majority of the time out there. The 4-3 usually worked good under Stoops against "pro-style" offenses. I just hope we shut down the run. I think if we do that, then OUr D has done its part to win.
    On offense: Heupel learning how to call a smart game is kinda iffy. Hope to see us be overall the more dominant team physically.
    This is our first real test they always have good athletes. ND is not as good as last season but they will still be our first real test. We haven't played anyone so far but we should have a good idea what kind of team we have by Saturday night.

4 man front vs ND?

Just heard Bob say on Espin that they still run the 4 man front, just used the 3/4 vs the spread the last 3 games. Thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free