Best BBQ you've ever had?

Posted 1449 day(s) ago by OUdrewDU49945 Views 403 Replies
Results 351 to 400 of 404
Page 8 of 9 6 7 8 9
  1. #351
    Ok, been to Stanley's in Tyler, TX twice now. This last time I had the Mother Clucker, a sandwich with smoked chicken thighs with bacon, cheddar, guac and a fried egg on a jalapeno cheese sourdough bun.


    It might be the best sandwich on the face of the earth.


    2 users like the-rover's post: Greek Sooner, hOUrricane


  2. #352
    I may have to try to replicate that Mother Clucker at home. Sounds tasty!

  3. #353
    Saw Famous Dave's mentioned somewhere earlier.

    Giving the Orange County location a try today.

  4. #354
    Originally Posted by JBret View Post
    Saw Famous Dave's mentioned somewhere earlier.

    Giving the Orange County location a try today.
    I actually ate at Famous Dave's in El Paso a couple of weeks ago.

    I also just now saw the comments about the gas station burritos. I guess those are a uniquely Oklahoma thing because I haven't seen them anywhere else I've lived in the last 22 years. Back in the 80s one of my friends' mom worked at a convenience store that sold them, and every Friday night she would bag up all of those that hadn't sold and give them to us. We'd eat a few, but most got thrown at passing cars. Good times.
    2 users like Mississippi Sooner's post: mgsooner, ThievingMagpie


  5. #355
    mgsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    12,710
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tallsa

    Originally Posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
    I actually ate at Famous Dave's in El Paso a couple of weeks ago.

    I also just now saw the comments about the gas station burritos. I guess those are a uniquely Oklahoma thing because I haven't seen them anywhere else I've lived in the last 22 years. Back in the 80s one of my friends' mom worked at a convenience store that sold them, and every Friday night she would bag up all of those that hadn't sold and give them to us. We'd eat a few, but most got thrown at passing cars. Good times.
    Boy, if I had a dollar for every gas station burrito I've thrown at a passing car over the years...
    2 users like mgsooner's post: Mississippi Sooner, Petro-Sooner


  6. #356
    OKC food truck in Houston with Operation BBQ Relief

    theflyingpigbbqA whole lotta pork loin, chicken and pit cleaning. It all makes it happen @opbbqrelief @CallAFoodTruck #BestBBQOKC #BestFoodTruckOKC #EatMorePork #BBQNation




    The following users like this post: McRib


  7. #357
    Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    Boy, if I had a dollar for every gas station burrito I've thrown at a passing car over the years...
    2 users like JBret's post: Clark W. Griswold, mgsooner


  8. #358
    Originally Posted by the-rover View Post
    Ok, been to Stanley's in Tyler, TX twice now. This last time I had the Mother Clucker, a sandwich with smoked chicken thighs with bacon, cheddar, guac and a fried egg on a jalapeno cheese sourdough bun.


    It might be the best sandwich on the face of the earth.

    Jalapeño cheese bread makes any sandwich better.
    The following users like this post: Clark W. Griswold


  9. #359
    metes's Avatar
    Posts
    7,485
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma City

    The Camelback in Duncan is outstanding. Get the brisket early or it gets a bit dry but that's only if it has a chance to get to the warming trays.

  10. #360
    Going to be in Ft Worth tomorrow.
    According to Yelp, Heim Barbecue is the shizznit.

    Anyone been?

  11. #361
    Heim is good. They have bacon burnt ends that everyone rave about. Let us know what you think.

  12. #362
    Morningwood's Avatar
    Posts
    5,839
    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    No pics, but Saturday I smoked the best ribs i've ever done. St. Louis racks, dry-brined the night before, memphis-style rub, 6 hours @ 225. I'm officially done with the 3-2-1 business
    2 users like Morningwood's post: 1stTimeCaller, ThievingMagpie


  13. #363
    Originally Posted by Morningwood View Post
    No pics, but Saturday I smoked the best ribs i've ever done. St. Louis racks, dry-brined the night before, memphis-style rub, 6 hours @ 225. I'm officially done with the 3-2-1 business
    Wrapping, spritzing, etc. is way overrated. Leave that smoker door closed for the first four hours and let them things cook. After that start checking for doneness. If anything hit them with a glaze before serving if that's your style. Everyone wants to cook "competition style" and it's way too busy.
    The following users like this post: Morningwood


  14. #364
    I know BBQ is crazy subjective, but the best sandwich I have had is the Q Ban from Backdoor, dipped in their Expresso BBQ sauce. It is amazing.

  15. #365
    I've been smokin some badass baby backs, juicy tender , full of flavor. They've been so good, I may never go back to spare ribs.

  16. #366
    Originally Posted by JBret View Post
    Going to be in Ft Worth tomorrow.
    According to Yelp, Heim Barbecue is the shizznit.

    Anyone been?


    I can vouch for the pulled pork and sliced brisket... tremendously done.

    The sides were less than stellar but still well worth a visit if you're in the hood.

  17. #367
    I've read his book and I like this fella, and I've been doin cue longer than he has, pretty amazing what he's done in what I would call, a short time.

    After The Fire: A Look Inside Franklin Barbecue
    The following users like this post: Petro-Sooner


  18. #368

  19. #369
    Kroger chuck flat iron steak.



    Miiller's (Llano) Gourmet Steak Seasoning.

    20 minutes down, untreated on bottom rack at high

    30 minutes up, treated with the Miiller's ( liberally, to be scraped off before serving)

    Pull, place 1/4 tab butter over meat and place in microwave

    Rest for 10 minutes

    Eat

    * For those interested, my brother just won some Georgia cook off deal for his ribs and brisket. The video is ridiculous, but the days of knocking back a few while cooking is long gone. This is precision stuff. His cooking trailer is worth more than my house at this point, but whatever...as long as he lets me eat

  20. #370
    I ate at City Market in Luling TX today. If your ever in the area give it a try. Very nostalgic.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: Petro-Sooner


  21. #371
    Originally Posted by dirtstar View Post
    Quality of the food for free: B-
    Quality of the food for menu prices: C-

  22. #372
    Honcho's in Tulsa...Been gone a long time...

  23. #373
    Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    I've been smokin some badass baby backs, juicy tender , full of flavor. They've been so good, I may never go back to spare ribs.
    I quit spare ribs about 10 years ago. Too much fat. I hardly do brisket anymore because of the same reason. I spend 2 hours trimming my brisket before smoking. Meh.

    I buy my baby backs at Sam's in the big case. Usually have 9 full racks for somewhere around $100 or so. My bigger WSM can handle the entire case at one smoking. Plus some room in between for some country styles and jalapeno sausages.

  24. #374
    Here's a great business venture , I'm sure it would be trouble free way to live on the lake and make lotsa money

    https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...324600975.html
    1974 32 ft riverqueen houseboat/concession boat - $15000

    This house boat was rebuilt in 2014 to be a Oklahoma licensed BBQ Food boat. It was in dripping springs marina (grand lake) the summers of 2015 and 16 and did very well. It was fully licensed, fully insured with a complete marine survey and new triple axle trailer
    Commercial fridge, commercial steamers, microwave. Honda generator, on demand hot water, freezer...It has a Single ford 302 V-8 motor and I/O out drive .
    The boat was pulled from the lake in winter of 2016. I am helping the owner sell this boat. $15,000
    Possible trade for pull behind travel trailer or 5th wheel over 30 feet plus cash


    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie


  25. #375
    Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Here's a great business venture , I'm sure it would be trouble free way to live on the lake and make lotsa money

    https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...324600975.html





    Smells fishy

    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie


  26. #376
    This house boat was rebuilt in 2014 to be a Oklahoma licensed BBQ Food boat. It was in dripping springs marina (grand lake) the summers of 2015 and 16 and did very well. It was fully licensed, fully insured with a complete marine survey and new triple axle trailer
    Commercial fridge, commercial steamers, microwave. Honda generator, on demand hot water, freezer...It has a Single ford 302 V-8 motor and I/O out drive .
    Gee. Everything a BBQ restaurant needs. Except a BBQ pit or smoker.
    The following users like this post: Petro-Sooner


  27. #377
    Originally Posted by ThievingMagpie View Post
    Gee. Everything a BBQ restaurant needs. Except a BBQ pit or smoker.
    IDK what that is on the bow, looks like a big gasser grill. But for sure, the cue would have to be smoked on the bank , somewhere. The only way this would work, is in conjunction with a BBQ restaurant. Take the smoked meat out on the boat and just re-heat it.

    Sellin beer would not hurt business either
    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie


  28. #378
    KeithStone's Avatar
    Posts
    927
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Always smooth

    Originally Posted by ThievingMagpie View Post
    Gee. Everything a BBQ restaurant needs. Except a BBQ pit or smoker.

    It's got a microwave so 87 could give it a go. He's looking to get out of farming anyway. Drag that sum**** down to Florida and it's on!
    3 users like KeithStone's post: Mballard85, Petro-Sooner, PokeJ


  29. #379
    Originally Posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
    Adam's Ribs in Chicago. I'd walk to Chicago on my knees in the snow for a takeout order.
    This episode is on right now on Spike....classic

  30. #380
    Best ribs in Oklahoma are at smokin’ Joes in Davis. Everything else is ass.
    2 users like RDC212's post: sooner59, theend


  31. #381
    Originally Posted by RDC212 View Post
    Best ribs in Oklahoma are at smokin’ Joes in Davis. Everything else is ass.
    Joe has a lot of good menu items.
    The following users like this post: RDC212


  32. #382
    BehindEnemyLines's Avatar
    Posts
    3,996
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Georgetown, TX

    Black's, Lockhart, TX
    2 users like BehindEnemyLines's post: Petro-Sooner, PokeJ


  33. #383
    Originally Posted by sooner59 View Post
    Joe has a lot of good menu items.
    I agree. I was referring to everyone else’s ribs.
    The following users like this post: sooner59


  34. #384
    Originally Posted by sooner59 View Post
    Joe has a lot of good menu items.
    Isn't that the place with the $15 hamburger?

  35. #385
    Originally Posted by OklahomaDave View Post
    Isn't that the place with the $15 hamburger?
    Looking at the menu, the burger is $9.99. So maybe it’s a different place. They do smoked prime rib on Friday and Saturday. I want to try that before long. Never had one smoked before.

  36. #386
    Originally Posted by sooner59 View Post
    Looking at the menu, the burger is $9.99. So maybe it’s a different place. They do smoked prime rib on Friday and Saturday. I want to try that before long. Never had one smoked before.
    Nah, there was a place I went to with some folks one day and didn't know it was a "big meal bbq" place....i wasn't that hungry and got what I thought was just a basic/ regular burger, no fries, and only water to drink, but my check was for ~$20. I made a discrete inquiry assuming it was just a mistake, but I was told "oh, no, that's a speciality sandwich. " A burger?? Yup. So rather than make an issue of it with everyone I just paid otr and considered it a lesson leaned. They didn't want any body ordering anything but bbq, and sure enough, in the menu fine print, burgers were "specialty items" and I just got caught. Only thing I can do is vote with my feet and not go back, but I'm just as sure they don't care.

  37. #387
    Originally Posted by OklahomaDave View Post
    Nah, there was a place I went to with some folks one day and didn't know it was a "big meal bbq" place....i wasn't that hungry and got what I thought was just a basic/ regular burger, no fries, and only water to drink, but my check was for ~$20. I made a discrete inquiry assuming it was just a mistake, but I was told "oh, no, that's a speciality sandwich. " A burger?? Yup. So rather than make an issue of it with everyone I just paid otr and considered it a lesson leaned. They didn't want any body ordering anything but bbq, and sure enough, in the menu fine print, burgers were "specialty items" and I just got caught. Only thing I can do is vote with my feet and not go back, but I'm just as sure they don't care.
    That’s highway robbery.

  38. #388
    Originally Posted by theend View Post
    Don’t get a burger at a bbq place


    Unless it’s the pimento cheese burger from iron starr


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Didn't intend to - that was the whole goof of the day. Didn't realize were even going to the "big BBQ place" until we were more or less there....

  39. #389
    Are there any remnants left , of Bob's BBQ in Ada ?

    About 50 years ago, my Dad loved that place and we would make a 30 minute drive pretty regularly for their ribs. I quit goin in the 70's.

    Plate would 4 to 6 ribs, with beans on one end, slaw on the other , then all that covered with french fries.

    I'd heard , maybe 20 years ago, that possibly some members of Bobs family had revived the place, IIRC.

    Or how bout Bens BBQ in Wewoka ? They had a thick dark sweet smoky sauce.

  40. #390
    KCRuf/Nek's Avatar
    Posts
    55,842
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Prairie Village, Ks.

    A couple weeks ago I used my cheat day to go to LC's in KCMO. It had been a while and I'd forgotten how good it is. I got burnt ends and fries for about $11. Very good food and very filling.

    https://www.lcsbarbq.com/

  41. #391
    Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    A couple weeks ago I used my cheat day to go to LC's in KCMO. It had been a while and I'd forgotten how good it is. I got burnt ends and fries for about $11. Very good food and very filling.

    https://www.lcsbarbq.com/
    Favorite part of brisket was the ends, we just never referred to them as burnt ends 'til I went to KC.

    I still think that the Oklahoma Joe's at the gas station was the best. Good stuff at the cook off too
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek


  42. #392
    KCRuf/Nek's Avatar
    Posts
    55,842
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Prairie Village, Ks.

    Originally Posted by TheBoots View Post
    Favorite part of brisket was the ends, we just never referred to them as burnt ends 'til I went to KC.

    I still think that the Oklahoma Joe's at the gas station was the best. Good stuff at the cook off too
    I watched this a while back. It's what prompted my trip to LC's. Don't watch on an empty stomach.


  43. #393
    Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Are there any remnants left , of Bob's BBQ in Ada ?

    About 50 years ago, my Dad loved that place and we would make a 30 minute drive pretty regularly for their ribs. I quit goin in the 70's.

    Plate would 4 to 6 ribs, with beans on one end, slaw on the other , then all that covered with french fries.

    I'd heard , maybe 20 years ago, that possibly some members of Bobs family had revived the place, IIRC.

    Or how bout Bens BBQ in Wewoka ? They had a thick dark sweet smoky sauce.

    I don't know about Bob's, but we used to practically live at Ben's in Durant. Old Ben was a good man. Things changed a few years after he died. And now I'm sad.

  44. #394
    I grew up in Ada, so I remember when Bob Leonard was running Bob's. In fact, I played little league baseball with Bob's son, Robbie. The only bad thing I remember about it was that you had to wait in line to get in. It was that popular. I also remember Bob had a sign by the front door that said We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone.

    Mike Babb ran the place after Bob died, but then Mike died way too young. Before I left Oklahoma I know the place was open again, but I never went there. Hell, Robbie could have been running the place for all I know.
    The following users like this post: Hermit


  45. #395
    Yes, there was always a long line at Bobs. And there was a wash basin out front.
    The following users like this post: Mississippi Sooner


  46. #396
    KCRuf/Nek's Avatar
    Posts
    55,842
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Prairie Village, Ks.

    Originally Posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
    I grew up in Ada, so I remember when Bob Leonard was running Bob's. In fact, I played little league baseball with Bob's son, Robbie. The only bad thing I remember about it was that you had to wait in line to get in. It was that popular. I also remember Bob had a sign by the front door that said We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone.

    Mike Babb ran the place after Bob died, but then Mike died way too young. Before I left Oklahoma I know the place was open again, but I never went there. Hell, Robbie could have been running the place for all I know.
    From OU?

  47. #397
    Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    From OU?
    I only remember Bubba.

  48. #398
    Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    From OU?
    Yep, that's him. However, after a little research I see that it wasn't Bob's BBQ that Mike was running, but The Huddle restaurant. Don't know how I got confused about that. Well, other than it being 35 years ago. Damn, where did the time go?
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek


  49. #399
    Back in the late 60s Bobs was the best BBQ you could ever eat bar none.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2 users like PokeJ's post: Hermit, Mississippi Sooner


  50. #400
    KCRuf/Nek's Avatar
    Posts
    55,842
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Prairie Village, Ks.

    Originally Posted by Mississippi Sooner View Post
    Yep, that's him. However, after a little research I see that it wasn't Bob's BBQ that Mike was running, but The Huddle restaurant. Don't know how I got confused about that. Well, other than it being 35 years ago. Damn, where did the time go?
    I tell ya'. You old ****s kill me.

    Ex-Sooner Mike Babb, 23, Dies

    http://newsok.com/article/1982435

    Since his graduation from OU, Babb had been in the restaurant business. He was currently manager and part-owner of "The Huddle" restaurant in Ada.
    The following users like this post: Mississippi Sooner