Severe Weather Vol 2-Featuring SATP

Posted 1428 day(s) ago by KCRuf/Nek1439948 Views 16327 Replies
Results 11,901 to 11,950 of 16328
    I left Norman at 4:00. Apparently the world went to shit shortly thereafter. Norman PD is no longer responding to non-injury accidents.

Up here in Edmond it's drizzling pretty good but weather app says temps should go up a degree almost every hour from here out.

Originally Posted by SoonerVikeThunder View Post
    So, are we gonna get any appreciable snow Sat?

What does Doppler Dog have to say?
    Doopler dog says light flurries Sat afternoon. Little to no accumulation. She is not concerned.
    The following users like this post: SoonerVikeThunder

Ugh.
    Schools are being closed tomorrow due to the cold.
    Gonna be a harsh one.
    High of 18 with 40 mph winds.

Originally Posted by DirtyBob View Post
    Ugh.
    Schools are being closed tomorrow due to the cold.
    Gonna be a harsh one.
    High of 18 with 40 mph winds.
    crazy it's gonna be in the 60's here tomorrow

With increasing southerly winds and with a little luck our Temperatures should start warming up over the next 2 to 3 hours in the OKC metro
    …. hopefully this should allow roads conditions to improve some.

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    crazy it's gonna be in the 60's here tomorrow
    Yeah. I'm freakin done with New England winters man

Originally Posted by Sooner Jake View Post
    There were wrecks everywhere on the overpasses just now. Traffic sucked until Moore
    Heavy drizzle and 30-31* = bad drive home (as I sit in 0mph traffic).
    The following users like this post: SoonerVikeThunder

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    It sucks.

Be safe rib
    The following users like this post: McRib

The Google Maps view of OKC looked awful 30 minutes ago. Highways were red and there were 25 wreck icons.

We crossed a bridge over 35 and cars were sliding every direction. Watched a semi jackknife like in slow motion. Couldn't have been more than a slight glazing.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Out of pure luck I had an appt at 3pm so left downtown at 2:30 with no issues. After appt went to bar since this is rare I normally stay til 6:30 ish. So it was my lucky day I gotta socialize vs sit in traffic.
    2 users like SoonerVikeThunder's post: McRib, ouwasp

Channel 4 says there have been over 100 accidents since 5:00. Guess this one caught everyone by surprise. Too busy talking about the temp change on Saturday.

Originally Posted by SoonerSean03 View Post
    Channel 4 says there have been over 100 accidents since 5:00. Guess this one caught everyone by surprise. Too busy talking about the temp change on Saturday.
    And one death at 240 & Penn. Terrible.

I just left my office… Walked out the door through the breezeway, paused when I realized it was raining, took three steps onto the sidewalk and busted me ass. Sidewalk was completely iced over. Now I get to drive home in wet jeans.
    Can an 18 inch fall actually bust something?

Yeah. I'm freakin done with New England winters man
    It's supposed to dip all the way down to 79 here tomorrow.

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    It's supposed to dip all the way down to 79 here tomorrow.
    That sounds rough!
    -20 with wind chill right now apparently

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Can an 18 inch fall actually bust something?
    Shaddup you
    3 users like McRib's post: Bob, OklahomaDave, oucub23

My daughter comes home from Canada for Christmas vacation tomorrow. Looks like she'll be bringing their weather with her.

Can I laugh about "busted me ass" yet or is it still too soon?
    You drove home wet and Irish.

That sounds rough!
    -20 with wind chill right now apparently
    when i was going to school in providence it hit -30 with the wind chill once. i never want to be that cold again.
    The following users like this post: DirtyBob

Originally Posted by Fugue View Post

You can.

Also, I found out this morning that I broke my Fitbit when I fell, it's too late for anyone to get me a new one for my birthday, and I can't find the first world problems thread. Waaah.

Wouldn't it be arse?
    2 users like oucub23's post: Fugue, McRib

You can.

Also, I found out this morning that I broke my Fitbit when I fell, it's too late for anyone to get me a new one for my birthday, and I can't find the first world problems thread. Waaah.
    If it's less than a year old go online and fill out a little form. They'll send you a new one.
    2 users like oucub23's post: DirtyBob, McRib

If it's less than a year old go online and fill out a little form. They'll send you a new one.
    Really?! Yay!!

Really?! Yay!!
    Yea. I've replaced mine once and my wife has replaced hers twice. Really easy to do.
    The following users like this post: McRib

Running a 5K tomorrow morning in Kingfisher. 10:30 am. Temp is supposed to be 31, but windchill is 19. That is actually better by a few degrees than when I checked yesterday afternoon.

Wouldn't it be arse?
    With some expletives. And I imagine that there may have been some.

https://nextgrandminimum.wordpress.c...ce-age-theory/
    The Next Grand Minimum

The sun is undergoing a state change. It is possible that we may be at the cusp of the next Little Ice Age.

For several centuries the relationship between periods of quiet sun and a prolonged brutal cold climate on Earth (referred to as Little Ice Ages) have been recognized. But the exact mechanisms behind this relationship have remained a mystery. We exist in an age of scientific enlightenment, equipped with modern tools to measure subtle changes with great precision. Therefore it is important to try and come to grips with these natural climatic drivers and mold the evolution of theories that describe the mechanisms behind Little Ice Ages.

The sun changes over time. There are decadal periods when the sun is very active magnetically, producing many sunspots. These periods are referred to as Solar Grand Maxima. And then there are periods when the sun is very weak producing few sunspot. These periods are called Solar Grand Minima.

Solar Grand Minima correspond to dark cold glooming periods called Little Ice Ages.

And there are states in-between. During most of the 20th century, the sun was in a Solar Grand Maxima. But that came to an abrupt end beginning in July 2000. The sun produced 6 massive explosions in rapid succession. Each of these explosions produced solar proton events with a proton flux greater than 10,000 pfu @ >10 MeV. These occurred in July 2000, November 2000, September 2001, two in November 2001, and a final one in October 2003. And there hasn’t been any of this magnitude since.

Then the sun produced one of the weakest solar minimums since the Ap Index was first recorded (beginning in 1932). The current solar cycle (Solar Cycle 24) is very weak. Not quite weak enough to be called a Solar Grand Minima but very close. It is analogous to a period referred to as a ‘Dalton Minimum’.

Full report
    https://nextgrandminimum.files.wordp...age_theory.pdf
    2 users like OU48A's post: NickDangerThirdEye, SoonerVikeThunder

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    The Next Grand Minimum

The sun is undergoing a state change. It is possible that we may be at the cusp of the next Little Ice Age.

For several centuries the relationship between periods of quiet sun and a prolonged brutal cold climate on Earth (referred to as Little Ice Ages) have been recognized. But the exact mechanisms behind this relationship have remained a mystery. We exist in an age of scientific enlightenment, equipped with modern tools to measure subtle changes with great precision. Therefore it is important to try and come to grips with these natural climatic drivers and mold the evolution of theories that describe the mechanisms behind Little Ice Ages.

The sun changes over time. There are decadal periods when the sun is very active magnetically, producing many sunspots. These periods are referred to as Solar Grand Maxima. And then there are periods when the sun is very weak producing few sunspot. These periods are called Solar Grand Minima.

Solar Grand Minima correspond to dark cold glooming periods called Little Ice Ages.

And there are states in-between. During most of the 20th century, the sun was in a Solar Grand Maxima. But that came to an abrupt end beginning in July 2000. The sun produced 6 massive explosions in rapid succession. Each of these explosions produced solar proton events with a proton flux greater than 10,000 pfu @ >10 MeV. These occurred in July 2000, November 2000, September 2001, two in November 2001, and a final one in October 2003. And there hasn’t been any of this magnitude since.

Then the sun produced one of the weakest solar minimums since the Ap Index was first recorded (beginning in 1932). The current solar cycle (Solar Cycle 24) is very weak. Not quite weak enough to be called a Solar Grand Minima but very close. It is analogous to a period referred to as a ‘Dalton Minimum’.

Full report
    So is it going to be cold or are we going to die or what?
    The following users like this post: Fugue

Originally Posted by Mjcpr View Post
    So is it going to be cold or are we going to die or what?
    That was all clearly spelled out.
    2 users like Fugue's post: Mjcpr, StroudSooner

That was all clearly spelled out.
    I'm asking for the dumb people.
    The following users like this post: lauderdaleOU

I'm asking for the dumb people.
    True, you probably don't know your elbow from your 'Dalton Minimum'.
    The following users like this post: Mjcpr

True, you probably don't know your elbow from your 'Dalton Minimum'.
    Never heard of him.
    2 users like Mjcpr's post: Fugue, ouwasp

Never heard of him.
    Well, he was awesome in Road House, I'll tell ya that!!!!
    3 users like Clark W. Griswold's post: Fugue, lauderdaleOU, Mjcpr

Originally Posted by Clark W. Griswold View Post
    Well, he was awesome in Road House, I'll tell ya that!!!!
    Wait, is this the OU savior from McAlester that already has a multi-head household right out of high school?
    2 users like Mjcpr's post: Clark W. Griswold, Fugue

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    The Next Grand Minimum

Full report
    Maybe some of the WX types on here can comment, but I went to a seminar about the weather at the NSSFC in Norman a few years ago, and one of the muckety-mucks there spoke and told us how sun spot activity has absolutely nothing to do with our weather, but did tell us how climate change is being caused by man.

I wanted to walk out but had to stay to get my CE credit.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Originally Posted by NickDangerThirdEye View Post
    Maybe some of the WX types on here can comment, but I went to a seminar about the weather at the NSSFC in Norman a few years ago, and one of the muckety-mucks there spoke and told us how sun spot activity has absolutely nothing to do with our weather, but did tell us how climate change is being caused by man.

I wanted to walk out but had to stay to get my CE credit.
    I always ask those types, which there are plenty of in Norman who think they know everything about WX……If it wasn’t variances in the sun then what caused the several massive glacier events that made their way as far south as the Lawrence Kansas area with some events lasting for centuries….?

I’m still waiting on a good answer.

Yea. I've replaced mine once and my wife has replaced hers twice. Really easy to do.
    I tweeted this before I talked to you (I'm a whiner, don't judge). Thought it was nice if them to reach out, i was just going to work on it this weekend. They are setting up a case or something on my behalf and emailing me.
    Last edited by McRib; December 16th, 2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Oops

I got a new one a few weeks ago just by going on chat and telling them mine stopped syncing. They never even asked for any proof of purchase or anything.

Side note, and this one hasn't synced since a couple of days ago. Tired of resetting it, deleting it from my bluetooth, re-installing, etc. I think next time I'll get a Garmin.

NWS norman estimated totals = not much

Originally Posted by chsguy2013 View Post

There's no way the snow stops right on those county lines.
    The following users like this post: FutureInactiveAccount

It is currently 77 in Lawton. This time tomorrow the forecast shows 24 with a wind chill of zero.
    The following users like this post: Sooner Showtime

Originally Posted by chsguy2013 View Post

If they go up even a small bit combined with huge winds then its blizzard time.

The following users like this post: Final.Answer?

Going to Arkansas today for the Veterans's Christmas ceremony and wreathing at my dad's cemetery. It should be fine to be back by 3 right?

Going to Arkansas today for the Veterans's Christmas ceremony and wreathing at my dad's cemetery. It should be fine to be back by 3 right?
    Very Cool they/you do that. Its gotta be tough you have my respects.

Its gonna be below freezing coming back so just depends any precip that fell (it will freeze) or is falling (as snow). If just snow not a big deal if roads were wet then froze be watchful of ice. In any case be safe.

The snow should hold off for the most part until later in the day though there could be areas of drizzle (driving down I-40 could help such that the temps might be just above freezing for at least part of the journey).

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    when i was going to school in providence it hit -30 with the wind chill once. i never want to be that cold again.
    Sitting in the negative teens with wind chill now, expected to get 3-5 inches of snow today.

It's going to be 58 tomorrow