Severe Weather Vol 2-Featuring SATP

Posted 1217 day(s) ago by KCRuf/Nek958884 Views 14598 Replies
Results 12,301 to 12,350 of 14599

It's supposed to get down into the low 50s tonight. I had to break out a zip fleece, but don't worry, I'm still rockin' shorts and Sanuks.
    3 users like bushmaster06's post: Bob, brokebacksooner, Clark W. Griswold

My daughter drove up to Stillwater today to drop some stuff off at her dorm. Sounds like the roads were pretty good.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Part of my job is to write technical specs and requirements for our IT partners that are not native English speakers (Filipinos, Indians, Chinese).

I get the feeling there is a joke going above my head here, but I can't decipher it.
    There's no joke - you write in linear, simple sentences, like you're telling someone how to fix a toilet or bake a casserole.
    4 users like McRib's post: ChocoLab, Clark W. Griswold, DirtyBob, Stinger_1066

You'll probably see several people using images like this for this weekend. Just know that A) It's 6-7 days out B) This will change because it all depends on the low pressure system

The following users like this post: SoonerVikeThunder

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    There's no joke - you write in linear, simple sentences, like you're telling someone how to fix a toilet or bake a casserole.
    quit analyzing people.
    The following users like this post: McRib

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    quit analyzing people.
    That's not an analysis, it's an observation. An analysis would be how it's related to his ****.
    2 users like McRib's post: brokebacksooner, DirtyBob

That's not an analysis, it's an observation. An analysis would be how it's related to his ****.
    silly girl. every guy knows when a female talks to hi it is always about his ****.

It's part of my job. I have to explain in writing to people how to do their jobs, or how to fix things that are broken, or provide specifications for new software that needs to be written.

A lot of the people I communicate with are not native English speakers. I have to be concise and precise.

I've found that wordy paragraphs don't work. Typically I write single sentences, skip a line, and write another. Makes it easier to read and absorb.
    The following users like this post: brokebacksooner

It's part of my job. I have to explain in writing to people how to do their jobs, or how to fix things that are broken, or provide specifications for new software that needs to be written.

A lot of the people I communicate with are not native English speakers. I have to be concise and precise.

I've found that wordy paragraphs don't work. Typically I write single sentences, skip a line, and write another. Makes it easier to read and absorb.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. I write like I'm the 5th Beatle.

Basic business communication. Short and to the point. Only the needed info., Nothing else.

A guy starts up a new business. A fish market. Places a big sign over the shop. "Fresh Fish Here"

A customer walks up and tells the owner his sign is too long. "You don't need Here in the sign. People already are here!"

So the owner changes the sign. "Fresh Fish"

Another customer walks up and says your sign is too long. "You don't need "Fresh" in the sign. People can see the fish are fresh"

So the owner shortens the sign to "Fish".

A customer walks up and tells the owner the sign is too long. "You don't need fish on the sign. People can smell them from two blocks away!"

Courtesy of Cameron Business Communication Prof Dobbs.

QS9000 requires perfectly worded systems and procedures. "Shall" carries tremendous weight.,

Except when you add a thousand periods after each line like 87

It really wasn't a jab, just an observation. Maybe I need to write like that when giving instructions to my staff.

So about this weekend weather. Best not lose power and cause me to miss the Boys/Packers game

Srsly

hoping for a foot of show....
    sure could use the moisture...
    3 users like 87sooner's post: FackYouMS, gratefulRed, soonerpie

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    hoping for a foot of show....
    sure could use the moisture...
    Won't happen. Cold air is shallow.

Best question at this point is where the freezing line sets up. GFS all over the place with the freezing line, Euro has shifted a lot as well. The other question is freezing rain or sleet?

Originally Posted by chsguy2013 View Post

Best question at this point is where the freezing line sets up. GFS all over the place with the freezing line, Euro has shifted a lot as well. The other question is freezing rain or sleet?
    I'm assuming you're a weather dude?

Originally Posted by DirtyBob View Post
    He dropped out
    5 users like hawkdriver's post: brokebacksooner, CZECHVAR, DirtyBob, ImTheDude, Strangers

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    It's supposed to get down into the low 50s tonight. I had to break out a zip fleece, but don't worry, I'm still rockin' shorts and Sanuks.
    Got down to 38 in Tampa last night.
    The following users like this post: SoonerBull

Originally Posted by DirtyBob View Post
    Don't listen to this moron. He misses a wide majority of predictions.

Originally Posted by Sarasota Sooner View Post
    **** that. I'm not moving to Florida to deal with that.
    Changing my mind. Puerto Rico it is!

Lol
    High of22 today?

**** that shit

**** that shit
    This is actually pretty mild so far. First real snow was yesterday, got around a foot, and only two days of negatives. Hoping we didn't just get a late start though. It was snowing in May last year, with some really low temps occasionally (low teens and single digits) up until the end of April.

Poor Floridians

So Channel 5 last night said rain on Friday but that the freezing line wouldn't move into OKC until about 7:00 PM. Then it would hang around through Saturday into Sunday. If that's the case then maybe we all at least make it home from work Friday before it gets nasty out.

Yeah it did! Colder than a well digger's a$$ in china!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by SoonerSean03 View Post
    So Channel 5 last night said rain on Friday but that the freezing line wouldn't move into OKC until about 7:00 PM. Then it would hang around through Saturday into Sunday. If that's the case then maybe we all at least make it home from work Friday before it gets nasty out.
    I was just about to ax. I'm no weather alarmist (just the opposite, in fact), but I'm think I better order some extra groceries just in case. Ice don't play.

I was just about to ax. I'm no weather alarmist (just the opposite, in fact), but I'm think I better order some extra groceries just in case. Ice don't play.

FYI, Walmart has online grocery ordering with free same day pickup now........

Originally Posted by waynepayne View Post
    Oh sweet! They have been getting things pulled really early the last coupla weeks.
    The following users like this post: waynepayne

Too obvious. I am experiencing a heady blend of shame and pride.

Models have been all over the place with the freezing line. They also struggle with when the system will leave, GFS pushing it out Sunday and Euro holding on to it through Monday Morning. Both models put most of OK above freezing Sunday afternoon.

As the NWS Norman and Tulsa have said, this will be a complicated forecast just because it will all depend on a few degrees. Worst case scenario is someone see more than .5 inch of freezing rain, maybe even an inch.

Of course there's also the issue of flooding rain for those who stay above freezing. Some places could see 4 inches this weekend.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

****ing ice storms. Anything but an ice storm. I'd rather have a foot of snow than that shit.
    7 users like Mjcpr's post: chsguy2013, Fugue, kingswitz, McRib, oucub23, SoonerVikeThunder, Wailer

Shhh, too many people are discovering this and the wait times are getting longer.

Oh sweet! They have been getting things pulled really early the last coupla weeks.
    Like coffee cakes.

Would just be nice if we could get through Friday without icy roads. Everyone seems to have a different thought. I've seen freezing rain Friday morning (disaster!!!!) to later in the day or evening when most people might be off the roads.

We have about 30 family members headed to OKC this Thursday/Friday for my wife's grandfather's 100th birthday party. I feel a cluster**** in the making with the pending weather forecast.

So does freezing rain automatically mean ice storm with all of the tree destruction and power outages and all that....or is still possible we don't get that whole mess?

Originally Posted by kingswitz View Post
    We have about 30 family members headed to OKC this Thursday/Friday for my wife's grandfather's 100th birthday party. I feel a cluster**** in the making with the pending weather forecast.
    Stock up on a shit ton of booze. Brinks truck sized!!
    The following users like this post: kingswitz

Originally Posted by Mjcpr View Post
    So does freezing rain automatically mean ice storm with all of the tree destruction and power outages and all that....or is still possible we don't get that whole mess?
    Parts of OK will likely see it, but where exactly is unknown. The freezing line is the key. But yes, if you get freezing rain, it could be a significant event, power outages, etc.

I'll just take what the NWS Norman has said

Confidence is high that a storm system will arrive Friday and into the weekend
    Confidence is high that parts of Ok will see winter weather
    Confidence is high that most of OK won't see much snow because the main precip will be sleet/freezing rain
    Confidence is low on where exactly the freezing line will be
    Confidence is low on when the system will move out
    Confidence is low on when the cold air arrives (Late Friday? Early Friday? etc.)
    Confidence is high that we could see flooding in areas that get just rain

2 users like chsguy2013's post: OU48A, SoonerVikeThunder

Originally Posted by SoonerVikeThunder View Post
    Stock up on a shit ton of booze. Brinks truck sized!!
    I'm way ahead of you.
    2 users like kingswitz's post: ChocoLab, SoonerVikeThunder

We have about 10 folks from the wife's side of the family coming in from Texas on Saturday. They're driving so they should have advance warning and can cancel. I'd sure hate for them to get stuck here.

We have about 10 folks from the wife's side of the family coming in from Texas on Saturday. They're driving so they should have advance warning and can cancel. I'd sure hate for them to get stuck here.
    This is my biggest fear! A lot of family stuck at my home for a few days.

4 users like kingswitz's post: bushmaster06, DirtyBob, gratefulRed, SoonerVikeThunder

Y'all quit shopping at Walmart. They put too many mom and pops under.
    2 users like Sarasota Sooner's post: Dia stema, SoonerVikeThunder

This is my biggest fear! A lot of family stuck at my home for a few days.

ITT we discover that kingswitz hates his family...

Driving to KC for a soccer tourney Friday, this ought to be fun.

Originally Posted by cfin5256 View Post
    ITT we discover that kingswitz hates his family...

Hate is such a strong word.

It's my wife's family and let's just say the weekend with them would be fulfilling. Anything over that and I will be sleeping on 's couch.
    2 users like kingswitz's post: cfin5256, DirtyBob

Good news for OKC/Tulsa, models are trending warmer and putting the freezing line farther NW. It still drops the freezing line through Norman and OKC for a period of time, but pushes it back to the NW, so it would mainly be a cold rain event. NW of OKC though would see the major ice. This of course will change again, but good to see the freezing line trend farther NW.

Also, good graphic via the NWS for the difference between Snow, sleet and Freezing rain

Originally Posted by ImTheDude View Post
    Driving to KC for a soccer tourney Friday, this ought to be fun.
    Yikes. Yeah, that will be an interesting drive.

Hate is such a strong word.

It's my wife's family and let's just say the weekend with them would be fulfilling. Anything over that and I will be sleeping on 's couch.
    Only so many brownie points you can earn?
    The following users like this post: SoonerSean03

Only so many brownie points you can earn?
    Married thirty years. What are these brownie points you speak of?

don't let grandpa participate in the cluster****....before he consults with his doctor. Sex can be dangerous for the ol' timers.