Keurig Single Cup Coffee Brewers

Posted 1376 day(s) ago by Omega3357 Views 95 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Kids love the white hot chocolate...!!!

Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    how have i not seen this thread? cant stand these machines. watery, bland, stale coffee...sounds good.....
    Both of my machines, the one at the house and the one at the office, make wonderful, flavorful, exceptionally fresh coffee, everytime.

Originally Posted by The Baconator® View Post
    Kids love the white hot chocolate...!!!
    Racist...

Coffee is great - but I kill a pot of 8 O'Clock before I leave for work, way to expensive if you drink a pot full a morning.

Re: Keurig Single Cup Coffee Brewers

Originally Posted by NationalChampsAgain View Post
    Coffee is great - but I kill a pot of 8 O'Clock before I leave for work, way to expensive if you drink a pot full a morning.
    Yea I don't think they're targeting a consumer like you.

Originally Posted by NationalChampsAgain View Post
    I'd shit myself before I left the house if I drank that much coffee.

Who makes/sells a combo pack that has a variety of mainly non-coffee kcups (cappuccino, hot chocolate, etc)?

Originally Posted by ArbySooner View Post
    Who makes/sells a combo pack that has a variety of mainly non-coffee kcups (cappuccino, hot chocolate, etc)?
    If you're an Amazon Prime member I'd look at their subscribe and save stuff.

Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

For the holidays, Bed Bath and Beyond has packs like that...

Go to Keurig.com... they gots it all, and at a pretty good price.

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    If you're an Amazon Prime member I'd look at their subscribe and save stuff.
    Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    For the holidays, Bed Bath and Beyond has packs like that...
    Originally Posted by soonerbornsoonerbret View Post
    Go to Keurig.com... they gots it all, and at a pretty good price.
    Thanks, I'll check it out!

I like the Donut Shop ones.

Now I hear you have to "Jailbreak" your coffe maker....Is this true...???

I am so thankful for you Keurig, Starbucks, Maxwell, Folgers, coffee drinkers. I really am. Im not like other coffee snobs that ridicule your terrible coffee drinking habits. I am a truly thankful coffee snob that understands, coffee snobs should be a rare breed. Someone needs to consume that low grade Robusta from Vietnam, so I can afford my Ethipoian Yirg, or my Kenya Konga.

So keep drinking what you drink and forget about the snobs that look down on your excellent coffee choices.

how have i not seen this thread? cant stand these machines. watery, bland, stale coffee...sounds good.....
    Dude keep your mouth shut. Whats the matter with you?

Dont listen to this guy. Keurig makes excellent coffee. Try the House Blend. Reaaaaasly good.
    The following users like this post: sooner518

Is Yuban any good......???

Originally Posted by KyleOU View Post
    Dude keep your mouth shut. Whats the matter with you?

Dont listen to this guy. Keurig makes excellent coffee. Try the House Blend. Reaaaaasly good.
    sorry, youre right. i tried the house blend today and cant believe ive spent the last couple weeks drinking this swill:
    The following users like this post: GoldenEagleSooner

Is this where I should mention: I'm sorta hooked on bulletproof coffee mixed with a stick blender now??

"Keurig Girl" getting attention from carrying coffee machine (Auburn University)

Madison Collins, freshman in biomedical sciences, has earned a nickname around campus. “One night, I knew I was going to be at the library really late, so I was like, ‘Oh, I’ll bring my coffee machine,’” Collins said.

Since then, students have started to refer to her as “Keurig Girl.” “It didn’t really catch on until finals week when I started to bring the Keurig every day,” Collins said.

Collins said the price of other coffee providers and the long lines are less convenient than carrying the Keurig. “I’m just a normal girl who carries around a coffee machine,” Collins said.

Collins said when she returned from winter break her resident assistant put a name tag on her dorm saying “Keurig Girl.” “She’s basically a celebrity,” said Claire Dortch, freshman in elementary education and friend of Collins.

Students who know Collins said the fame came on quickly. “It all just randomly happened,” said Zach Blomeley, junior in accounting. “It was something people found funny so she kept doing it.”

Collins said only her friends knew about the Keurig at first, but word eventually got out, and others started to ask her for coffee. “I get coffee from her all the time,” said Alex Thrasher, sophomore in biomedical sciences.

Collins said she has not charged students for coffee, though it has helped her meet people. She said people walk up to her and ask for coffee when she is in the library, where she spends most of her time.

Collins said she spends enough time there that other students have begun relying on her for late-night caffeine. “One night, I was studying for finals and I couldn’t stay awake, so I texted her and found where she was and got some coffee to help me stay awake,” Blomeley said.

Students use social media to keep up with Keurig girl and find where she is, according to Collins.

Collins said she lends mugs to students who do not have their own with them. They usually wash them out and return them once they’re done.

Dortch said on some nights, Collins is “handing out coffee and mugs to people left and right.” “I think it’s hilarious and great,” said Erin Rooney, freshman in pharmacy.

Blomeley, Collins’ friend of five years, said he did not think people treated her differently after she became known. “People think it’s funny, and she’s always been fun and funny,” Blomeley said.

Blomeley said his and Collins’ friends joke about how Collins became famous just by carrying her coffee machine with her to avoid high coffee prices.

“I didn’t intend for any of this to happen,” Collins said.

would smash

sorry, youre right. i tried the house blend today and cant believe ive spent the last couple weeks drinking this swill:
    Dump that garbage in the trash. Lol

How you brew? Hario? chemex? Kalita or good ol
    French press?

Dump that garbage in the trash. Lol

How you brew? Hario? chemex? Kalita or good ol
    French press?
    last few months ive been using a porcelain Hario knockoff. my wife bought it for me at the place where i get my beans (its right across the street from her work, so she buys all my beans. heh) i also have an Aeropress but ive used it so much over the last 3 years that the rubber doesnt seal very well, so i havent used it since i got the pour-over

last few months ive been using a porcelain Hario knockoff. my wife bought it for me at the place where i get my beans (its right across the street from her work, so she buys all my beans. heh) i also have an Aeropress but ive used it so much over the last 3 years that the rubber doesnt seal very well, so i havent used it since i got the pour-over
    Yirga on Aeropress tastes like heaven.

Not too fond of Hario. Weak body.

i need to get my aeropress rubber replaced. that said, ive been drinking aeropress for 3 years so its been kind of a nice change switching to the pourover.

Oh for goodness sake. It doesn't matter to me how much money I ever have. Two things I'm not going to waste a lot of money on: 1) something I drive; or 2) something I piss out (except good vodka)(and good beer sometimes). Keurig is the best since Mr. Coffee came around.
    The following users like this post: Sieve

Originally Posted by SoonerAtty View Post
    Oh for goodness sake. It doesn't matter to me how much money I ever have. Two things I'm not going to waste a lot of money on: 1) something I drive; or 2) something I piss out (except good vodka)(and good beer sometimes). Keurig is the best since Mr. Coffee came around.
    Yup. Solid reasoning. Try the House Blend. It's really good. Strong coffee but mild body.

A Brewing Problem

Sylvan knew the pods would sell. As he explains the appeal now, "It's like a cigarette for coffee, a single-serve delivery mechanism for an addictive substance." But he had no idea at the time how ubiquitous the product would become. And like printer cartridges or razor blades, the Keurig business model was predicated on another type of dependance.

The machines are not too expensive as appliances go. You can get one for $63; a bargain for a taste of the good stuff. But once you have one, it has you, too. The cups contain a mere 11 grams of ground coffee, vacuum-sealed in nitrogen to prevent oxidation. K-Cups are extremely profitable, selling standard coffee grounds for around $40 per pound. But what are you going to do, not buy the refills for your machine?

Originally Posted by VUGear View Post
    selling standard coffee grounds for around $40 per pound
    This is what I always tell people who scoff at the prices of "good" coffee. Keurig gouges you for terrible product in the name of convenience.
    2 users like GoldenEagleSooner's post: Aurora, ThievingMagpie

Originally Posted by GoldenEagleSooner View Post
    This is what I always tell people who scoff at the prices of "good" coffee. Keurig gouges you for terrible product in the name of convenience.
    It's not a terrible product. It's a very good product. Is it the best product? No. But it is a very good product.

The convenience cannot be overstated. Nothing to clean up, such as spilled grounds, and there's no wasted coffee. There are, no doubt, cheaper alternatives, but you can get a great deal on k-cups from Keurig.com for about $.45 per cup, including shipping and tax, if you are a member and get some promo codes. Additionally, I don't have to go through an entire 12 ounce bag of the same coffee for fear that if I don't drink it all within a week it will spoil. I can mix and match coffee on any particular day, and there's never any waste.

I should've clarified: when I said terrible product, I meant the quality of the coffee itself.

I totally understand the merit that the convenience brings, but the coffee that is used inside these little convenient packs is absolute shite. Keurig is the boxed wine of the coffee world.

I should've clarified: when I said terrible product, I meant the quality of the coffee itself.

I totally understand the merit that the convenience brings, but the coffee that is used inside these little convenient packs is absolute shite. Keurig is the boxed wine of the coffee world.
    I disagree with that. I think some of the coffee used is quite good. I'm not saying it's an A+ by any means, but there are some pretty good coffee choices available. I get it; the Keurig machine will never win over the coffee snobs. That's fine. I'm a scotch snob so I understand the "coffee culture." But for someone like me the Keurig is about as good as it gets (all things considered).

Originally Posted by SoonerDevil View Post
    I disagree with that. I think some of the coffee used is quite good. I'm not saying it's an A+ by any means, but there are some pretty good coffee choices available. I get it; the Keurig machine will never win over the coffee snobs. That's fine. I'm a scotch snob so I understand the "coffee culture." But for someone like me the Keurig is about as good as it gets (all things considered).
    And some boxed wine is "quite good."

But my point is that to justify a $40 per pound price point it needs to be an A++++ coffee not "quite good." Again it all comes down to paying for convenience, and apparently the majority is happy to do that.

Am I the only one who breaks the little cups down, cleans them out, and recycles them?

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Am I the only one who breaks the little cups down, cleans them out, and recycles them?
    Yes

And some boxed wine is "quite good."

But my point is that to justify a $40 per pound price point it needs to be an A++++ coffee not "quite good." Again it all comes down to paying for convenience, and apparently the majority is happy to do that.
    It's not close to $40 per pound.

One pound of coffee is 16 ounces, or 454 grams. One K-Cup is 11 grams. About 41 K-Cups are needed to have one pound of coffee. I pay about $.45 per K-Cup, or $18.45 per pound of coffee. A one pound bag of coffee, using the same brand as what is in the K-Cup, is about $10 or $11. We've got a delta of about $8.

You must be buying in bulk, or a bargain brand then. The Starbucks k-cups are about $12 for 16 cups which comes out to about $31 per pound, versus a pound of that same coffee for $9.

So yeah, it seems it likely comes out for under $40, unlike the article above mentioned but it's still quite a premium.

It's a similar argument to the one I have at the store, as to why it's dumb to buy the little individual bags of chips instead of getting a big one and bagging them yourself. To each his own I guess.

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    Yes
    =(

You must be buying in bulk, or a bargain brand then. The Starbucks k-cups are about $12 for 16 cups which comes out to about $31 per pound, versus a pound of that same coffee for $9.

So yeah, it seems it likely comes out for under $40, unlike the article above mentioned but it's still quite a premium.

It's a similar argument to the one I have at the store, as to why it's dumb to buy the little individual bags of chips instead of getting a big one and bagging them yourself. To each his own I guess.
    I just went to www.keurig.com and I put a 24 count box of Starbucks blonde roast in my shopping cart. List price is $20.99. Member price is $17.84 (becoming a member is absolutely free). I have a promo code for 25% off, and that includes free shipping. With all discounts applied, my total is $13.38 for 24 k cups, or $.5575 per cup. That's $22.85 a pound. Expensive, yes, but still not even close to the $40 that the article mentions.
    The following users like this post: Aurora

I'm sorry I wasn't aware you were an extreme couponer. I take back everything I've said. I've seen enough.
    The following users like this post: 1stTimeCaller

I'm sorry I wasn't aware you were an extreme couponer. I take back everything I've said. I've seen enough.
    Ha! I've never been called an extreme couponer. If typing in "THANKS25" at the checkout on keurig.com for a 25% discount makes me an extreme couponer, then so be it.

****, we're Americans, it's what we do....over pay for convenience on a daily basis. I'll gladly pay .40 for a convenient cup of coffee.

Yirga on Aeropress tastes like heaven.

Not too fond of Hario. Weak body.
    I only drink Yirga handpicked by Ethiopian orphans. Then hand roasted (half city or city only); one bean at a time; ground by hand with a burr grinder, french press grind. Then served in a glass.
    3 users like brokebacksooner's post: Aurora, DIB, ThievingMagpie

Originally Posted by brokebacksooner View Post
    I only drink Yirga handpicked by Ethiopian orphans. Then hand roasted (half city or city only); one bean at a time; ground by hand with a burr grinder, french press grind. Then served in a glass.
    My process is the same, except the Ethiopian orphans are only allowed the harvest one bean before they are conscripted into a local warlords army, with one exception. The orphan that harvest the most exquisite bean, gets to come back tomorrow. Berhanu is the current 5 day champion.

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    My process is the same, except the Ethiopian orphans are only allowed the harvest one bean before they are conscripted into a local warlords army, with one exception. The orphan that harvest the most exquisite bean, gets to come back tomorrow. Berhanu is the current 5 day champion.
    But **** is that coffee good.
    3 users like soonerbornsoonerbrett's post: brokebacksooner, DIB, ThievingMagpie

My coffee warlords make the orphans swallow the beans whole, and monkeys follow them around and pick them out of their shit....best coffee evar!
    2 users like SoonerArtillery's post: brokebacksooner, DIB