Steaks.

Posted 1046 day(s) ago by wendyaveli285455 Views 2929 Replies
Results 2,901 to 2,930 of 2930
Page 59 of 59 9 49 57 58 59
    Originally Posted by ChpThril View Post
    Tried it... not bad. I prefer Montreal though
    I use the Weber when I am out of Miiller's.

It is spelled correctly out of Llano and you can order on line.

I am charcoal grilling a couple of thick ribeyes tonight. Why the hell not? It's 65 degrees outside and I'm wearing shorts and sandals on December 4th.

Thank gawd for Global Warming!
    5 users like Stinger_1066's post: JBret, MikeLucky, oucub23, TheBoots, ThievingMagpie

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    I just got an immersion circulator. Anyone have a good sous vide steak recipe?
    Any tips for a guy thinking about getting one?

I just got an immersion circulator. Anyone have a good sous vide steak recipe?
    2 hours at 135.

Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller View Post
    Any tips for a guy thinking about getting one?
    I bought this one (https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinar.../dp/B00UKPBXM4). Currently on sale for $99. It is well reviewed and I have liked it so far. I saw a bar using one to keep pre-mixed hot toddies hot in a water bath.

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    2 hours at 135.
    I used 130 when I cooked it on saturday and I ended up having to sear it a little longer than I wanted to get it to temp. It still turned out delicious. I used a dry aged rib eye, seared in a cast iron and finished it by butter basting with fresh herbs and garlic.

What method do you use to sear? Torch? I will have to try 135 for 2 hours, next time.

I bought this one (https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinar.../dp/B00UKPBXM4). Currently on sale for $99. It is well reviewed and I have liked it so far. I saw a bar using one to keep pre-mixed hot toddies hot in a water bath.

I used 130 when I cooked it on saturday and I ended up having to sear it a little longer than I wanted to get it to temp. It still turned out delicious. I used a dry aged rib eye, seared in a cast iron and finished it by butter basting with fresh herbs and garlic.

What method do you use to sear? Torch? I will have to try 135 for 2 hours, next time.
    either a pan or the flat top.

I'm hearing sous vide is great for restaurants, but not so much for home cooking . Jury is still way out.

Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    I'm hearing sous vide is great for restaurants, but not so much for home cooking . Jury is still way out.
    Why would it not be good for home cooking?

Have you tried one that was cooked at home that way?

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Why would it not be good for home cooking?

Have you tried one that was cooked at home that way?
    No, I have not. And now that I think about it, the criticisms I was reading, were in a BBQ forum. Its not a good method for BBQ.

I have only had it for a couple of weeks, but it seems well suited for cooking at home. I don't intend to use it for BBQing. Frankly, I am not sure how you would. Are they saying they cook it in the sous vide and then finish it on the grill or in a smoker?

I have only had it for a couple of weeks, but it seems well suited for cooking at home. I don't intend to use it for BBQing. Frankly, I am not sure how you would. Are they saying they cook it in the sous vide and then finish it on the grill or in a smoker?
    Yes. Meathead at Amazing Ribs is all over it ............ but others not so sure. And Amazing Ribs sells a lot of stuff, they're on the commercial side.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...oker-sous-vide

My wife bought me this one. Does it have WiFi? The one she got me does. So I can make a packet before I head to the courthouse and start it when I’m about to head home.

I’m going do ribeyes first.

Gonna season with garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Put two big tabs of butter on each side and in between the steaks so that when it melts the steaks will be bathed in butter. Then I’m gonna sear on a screaming hot cast iron pan.

Serving with asparagus and risotto.

I’ve got a pork loin I wanna try with it. I also wanna make a small roast for beef on weck.

This might be my favorite gift I’ve ever been given. If you are a foody a sous vide is a must.
    The following users like this post: DIB

People who cook in restaurants tend to know how to cook. A lot of people who only cook at home think they're a lot better than they really are and when someone doesn't come out well it's something else's fault, whether they blame ingredients, equipment, or methods.

A restaurant at work does ribs and pastrami sous vide, but they smoke the meat for a few hours before bagging it and putting it in the bath.

One thing sous vide requires is good planning.

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    A restaurant at work does ribs and pastrami sous vide, but they smoke the meat for a few hours before bagging it and putting it in the bath.

One thing sous vide requires is good planning.
    What would happen if you put some ribeyes in the sous vide bath at 8am and then took them out at5pm to sear them?
    The following users like this post: NickDangerThirdEye

Theoretically the soys vide holds the steak at the temperature you set it at. You take it out, throw it on the grill and searcit.

Not sure I’d want meat that sat at 125 degrees for 9 hours.

Damn sure I don’t want to take 9 hours to cook a steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3 users like oucub23's post: bushmaster06, Mjcpr, NickDangerThirdEye

What would happen if you put some ribeyes in the sous vide bath at 8am and then took them out at5pm to sear them?
    Originally Posted by NickDangerThirdEye View Post
    Theoretically the soys vide holds the steak at the temperature you set it at. You take it out, throw it on the grill and searcit.

Not sure I’d want meat that sat at 125 degrees for 9 hours.
    I wouldn't do it. The texture would be way too soft/mushy for me. That's one of the reasons I said it requires good planning.
    2 users like bushmaster06's post: 1stTimeCaller, NickDangerThirdEye

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Damn sure I don’t want to take 9 hours to cook a steak.

Two hours unless it's really thick. What really sucked was the 48 hour short ribs I made, but didn't get to try because I was off the day they were ready. Or the other time I made 48 hour short ribs and some **** turned the combi oven off in the middle of the night.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Just grill your damn steaks, hippie.

Steven Raichlen is far from my fav TV BBQ show host, but he doesn't do sous vide, he still believes in " low and slow " , but he says the best thing to do is what works for you, if you like it , do it. And usually, if there's any new or exotic way to do BBQ, Raichlen is all in. But he does have a lot of smoker manufacturers sponsoring his show, FWIW.

Steaks.

Steven Raichlen is far from my fav TV BBQ show host, but he doesn't do sous vide, he still believes in " low and slow " , but he says the best thing to do is what works for you, if you like it , do it. And usually, if there's any new or exotic way to do BBQ, Raichlen is all in. But he does have a lot of smoker manufacturers sponsoring his show, FWIW.
    He’s a tiny little ****er! I helped with one of his classes before where he did a steak salad and showed the reverse sear method. He cooked one steak, I cooked the 30 for the class to enjoy!

Last edited by SixBean; December 7th, 2017 at 12:11 PM.

Originally Posted by SixBean View Post
    He’s a tiny little ****er! I helped with one of his classes before where he did a steak salad and showed the reverse sear method. He cooked one steak, I could 30 for the class to enjoy!

He did a Facebook Live on his personal smokers and grills, this past weekend.... was entertaining

You'd have some seriously ****ed up meat?

sous vide. Y'all are gayer than ****.
    The following users like this post: Breadburner

Cooked on a charcoal grill, flames as high as I could get 'em. 3 minutes a side.
    9 users like ThreeHatBilly's post: beech, Clark W. Griswold, Hermit, Lake_Bum, MikeLucky, Mixer!, PokeJ, Stinger_1066, wendyaveli

Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    You'd have some seriously ****ed up meat?

sous vide. Y'all are gayer than ****.
    Nah, it's just another tool in the box for me.

Originally Posted by ThreeHatBilly View Post

Cooked on a charcoal grill, flames as high as I could get 'em. 3 minutes a side.
    Looks deelish, but it appears you created a reverse shrinkage situation, comparing the pre-cook pic with post-cook. Or did the beef take a blue pill?

Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    Looks deelish, but it appears you created a reverse shrinkage situation, comparing the pre-cook pic with post-cook. Or did the beef take a blue pill?
    Everyone knows that at some angles things look freakishly small. At least that's what my wife tells me

The following users like this post: Crazyivan

Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    I think it's the angle. In the first pic, I was trying to show how thick the steak was. The second pic was top-down. Though it did actually flatten out a bit when I put it on the grill.

Originally Posted by ThreeHatBilly View Post
    I think it's the angle. In the first pic, I was trying to show how thick the steak was. The second pic was top-down. Though it did actually flatten out a bit when I put it on the grill.
    Still looks pretty darn tasty, well done!!