Steaks.

Posted 1025 day(s) ago by wendyaveli274901 Views 2894 Replies
Page 2 of 58 1 2 3 4 12 52
    Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    Commercially available pork does not have trichinosis.
    Whyzzat?

Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    Are you taping them together and ****ing them......???
    I'll be sure to pass that tip onto my Aggie friends
    The following users like this post: Breadburner

Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    What would you order?
    Other than an overhaul of the OSSAA?

Man, what a great choice of menu items. I envy you a treat like that.

If forced to choose, maybe the soft-shell crab, shrimp & leek bisque, filet with roquefort. Maybe try to wrangle a green salad out of them instead of having to choose between it and the bisque.

Ask me tomorrow, my choices might be completely different.

Silverwheels is probably well-acquainted with the staff and quality of offerings there, so he'd be a great person to consult.

Originally Posted by TheBoots View Post
    I'll be sure to pass that tip onto my Aggie friends
    You can do it with Gophers in a pinch......

Originally Posted by wendyaveli View Post
    How do you like it cooked? (Oven, pan, smoker, gas grill).

My dad has always cooked ours on his smoker.. So delicious... Chp uses a propane grill... Very delicious as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You cannot beat a steak cooked over wood coals. However, who has the time for that anymore? Next option is charcoal - but not the chemical laden Kingsford shit. The 100% wood charcoal. Third option, and the one I (and I assume most people) use is the gas grill. Good, but not nearly as good as a wood-cooked steak.

Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    You cannot beat a steak cooked over wood coals. However, who has the time for that anymore? Next option is charcoal - but not the chemical laden Kingsford shit. The 100% wood charcoal. Third option, and the one I (and I assume most people) use is the gas grill. Good, but not nearly as good as a wood-cooked steak.
    I agree!

The gas isn't that bad... Was different the first time he cooked it for me, but I'm used to it now. I need to learn how to cook one.

Originally Posted by SoonerNow View Post
    Whyzzat?
    Pigs are raised differently than they used to be. Much cleaner now.
    The following users like this post: bushmaster06

Originally Posted by silverwheels View Post
    Depends. We used to slop slaughter hogs with all the leftovers from the mess hall. That included meat and all sorts of other rancid, spoily shit. There might be different "rules or laws" in effect now though. I don't really know for sure. However, I still cook my pork thoroughly.

Originally Posted by silverwheels View Post
    Still the little ****s could eat a trichinosis infected mouse or rat etc. that sneaks into the pens. Doubtful that all commercially raised pigs are checked for trichinosis.

There's a chance that any farmed meat could be contaminated with something. Just saying trichinosis is a minor threat these days.
    The following users like this post: SoonerNow

Originally Posted by ThievingMagpie View Post
    Other than an overhaul of the OSSAA?

Man, what a great choice of menu items. I envy you a treat like that.

If forced to choose, maybe the soft-shell crab, shrimp & leek bisque, filet with roquefort. Maybe try to wrangle a green salad out of them instead of having to choose between it and the bisque.

Ask me tomorrow, my choices might be completely different.

Silverwheels is probably well-acquainted with the staff and quality of offerings there, so he'd be a great person to consult.
    What's your beef with the OSSAA? You can pm me your answer. I agree changes need to be made.

If I had to choose today I'd go with the leek and shrimp bisque and the ribeye with a side of asparagus. Not sure what I'd get for the first course. Like you on the 14th I might decide differently.

Maybe I'm missing something. Isn't OSSAA some softball organization?

No

No
    No what? Expound. Sheez.

Oklahoma Sooners Softball Athletic Association

Originally Posted by SoonerNow View Post
    Whyzzat?
    Trichinosis was caused by pig farmers feeding their pigs food scraps, a practice that's been banned by the USDA.

I hate to burst your bubble, but as quickly as it takes to cook a steak, what grill heat source you use is pretty insignificant. IMHO, at least 80% of a "great" steak begins with the quality of steak you have. The remaining % comprises modest seasoning, not overcoming it, and letting it rest for a few minutes.

Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    I hate to burst your bubble, but as quickly as it takes to cook a steak, what grill heat source you use is pretty insignificant. IMHO, at least 80% of a "great" steak begins with the quality of steak you have. The remaining % comprises modest seasoning, not overcoming it, and letting it rest for a few minutes.
    No doubt in my mind I could taste test the difference between propane, oak coals and charcoal. I'd bet propane will finish dead last every time. Just my personal experience. I own 6 grills, all wood burners or charcoal. Every time I've cooked steaks on gas I could tell. Not as good.
    The following users like this post: bushmaster06

What's your beef with the OSSAA? You can pm me your answer. I agree changes need to be made.

If I had to choose today I'd go with the leek and shrimp bisque and the ribeye with a side of asparagus. Not sure what I'd get for the first course. Like you on the 14th I might decide differently.
    Maybe he doesn't like Patti Gasso.

Originally Posted by PokeJ View Post
    Maybe he doesn't like Patti Gasso.
    What does Gasso have to do with the OSSAA?

I no longer cook my steaks over a grill. I Sous Vide them at 134 degrees for an hour or two. Salt, pepper and tablespoon of butter in the bag before I seal it. Then once done, I give it a good sear with a searzall. Comes out a perfect medium rare with a perfect sear every single time.

Originally Posted by kssooner View Post
    I no longer cook my steaks over a grill. I Sous Vide them at 134 degrees for an hour or two. Salt, pepper and tablespoon of butter in the bag before I seal it. Then once done, I give it a good sear with a searzall. Comes out a perfect medium rare with a perfect sear every single time.
    Meh. I can make a perfect medium rare every time using a grill, and I get the added flavor and texture from the grill. It also doesn't take 2 hours.
    The following users like this post: Coach

Originally Posted by HellVol View Post
    That's like dumb asses that order Prime Rib well done. Its roasted you ding bats! Medium rare or GTFO.
    Prime should be ordered rare. Try it next time--you'll be glad you did.
    3 users like oucub23's post: HellVol, kssooner, SiggyPoke

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    I eat mine rare but anybody that is uneasy about ordering meat rare can go to med rare and still take advantage of the flavor. I don't get people ordering Prime Rib well done.It would be like shoe leather.
    2 users like HellVol's post: oucub23, SiggyPoke

I agree!

The gas isn't that bad... Was different the first time he cooked it for me, but I'm used to it now. I need to learn how to cook one.

I use wood chips in tin foil packets, with some saturated liquids like southern comfort or Dr. Pepper. Not too much smoke, but good flavor
    Last edited by TheBoots; February 2nd, 2015 at 03:55 PM.

ATTN mods: nocal has apparently highjacked ks's LT account.

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    Meh. I can make a perfect medium rare every time using a grill, and I get the added flavor and texture from the grill. It also doesn't take 2 hours.
    I won't knock a grilled steak. I just found this method works better for me and I feel I get a better steak cooking it this way. I like it because I don't have to rush around cooking dinner and worrying about the steak on the grill. I can throw it in the water, get everything prepared and finished and then all I have to worry about is searing the steak. The steak will always be a perfect medium rare even if I get distracted and don't get to it for two or three hours. I can also throw a frozen steak in at lunch and it will be ready to go by dinner time. Just sear it and eat.

I've had it both ways and both are tasty.

That's terrible Coach! We will be at Red Prime next Saturday. It was meh last time. The Ranch is my favorite

Red Prime is ok. Went there for our anniversary in December. Probably won't go back for a while.

Sent from my awesome mobile device

I won't knock a grilled steak. I just found this method works better for me and I feel I get a better steak cooking it this way. I like it because I don't have to rush around cooking dinner and worrying about the steak on the grill. I can throw it in the water, get everything prepared and finished and then all I have to worry about is searing the steak. The steak will always be a perfect medium rare even if I get distracted and don't get to it for two or three hours. I can also throw a frozen steak in at lunch and it will be ready to go by dinner time. Just sear it and eat.
    I sear filets in olive oil with a little butter then put them in the oven for a few minutes--total time is around 15 minutes including sear.
    2 users like oucub23's post: bushmaster06, OUEverest

I sear filets in olive oil with a little butter then put them in the oven for a few minutes--total time is around 15 minutes including sear.
    Yep. Done that as well. Get a pretty good steak. This is what I now use to sear my steaks as well as anything else that needs a sear.

Yep. Done that as well. Get a pretty good steak. This is what I now use to sear my steaks as well as anything else that needs a sear.

I'm not sure I'd like that. The flavored from the gas would not be a taste I'd like.
    The following users like this post: Sieve

I'm not sure I'd like that. The flavored from the gas would not be a taste I'd like.
    I was worried about the same thing. I used a torch before I got this and did have the torch taste as they say. Using this, I have no torch/gas taste at all.

Originally Posted by Sooner Bob View Post
    Red Prime is ok. Went there for our anniversary in December. Probably won't go back for a while.

Sent from my awesome mobile device
    We went either for Valentines Day last year or randomly last summer. We will see how it goes.

We went either for Valentines Day last year or randomly last summer. We will see how it goes.

I remember, I think Chp & talked about the lights/migraines. Hope you love it, it's a fave of mine. (Agree that The Ranch is better, always take my out of state consultants there or to Cattlemen's.)
    The following users like this post: wendyaveli

For those that have $$$$$ steak tastes....SnakeRiverFarms is having a winter clearance. Including the tomahawk steaks...

2 users like SoonerArtillery's post: OUEverest, SiggyPoke

@, TY love!

@SoonerArtillery, I had my first Tomahawk last year? I think, and oh my god it was glorious!

The following users like this post: McRib

Originally Posted by SoonerArtillery View Post
    For those that have $$$$$ steak tastes....SnakeRiverFarms is having a winter clearance. Including the tomahawk steaks...

I think they're from Boise & do a lot of business in the Jackson area, good damn stuff.

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    I think they're from Boise & do a lot of business in the Jackson area, good damn stuff.
    Yes, they are.

Buddy of mine smoked a Snake River brisket a couple of weeks ago....incredible!

2 users like SoonerArtillery's post: McRib, SiggyPoke

I am a connoisseur of beef jerky.
    The best jerky is made from the best cuts of meat.
    I will take my steak well done thank you.

Unlike you people, my life is not affected by how other people choose to eat their food.

If only there was a name for a large group of like minded indivuals who are not tolerant of other who dare to think differently.

ISIS steak ****s

The bigger question is why order a steak? I always end up disappointed.

I've had a strip delivered multiple times in place of a ribeye. One server tried to tell me it was a stripeye. I said I didn't order a stripeye. It's very seldom cooked properly.

We'll see if Mickey Mantles does any better in a few weeks.
    Sounds like something you'd get at the Red Dog.

Originally Posted by ron mexico View Post
    Sounds like something you'd get at the Red Dog.
    You've eaten at the Red Dog?
    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie

Originally Posted by SoonerArtillery View Post

$50

Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    $50
    Normally 70$

Originally Posted by Orange is ugly View Post
    I am a connoisseur of beef jerky.
    The best jerky is made from the best cuts of meat.
    I will take my steak well done thank you.

Unlike you people, my life is not affected by how other people choose to eat their food.

If only there was a name for a large group of like minded indivuals who are not tolerant of other who dare to think differently.

ISIS steak ****s
    Meh. Ruining a steak is not "thinking differently." You can try to couch it that way, but you know it's horseshit. It's usually squeamish girly men who can't stand the sight of a little red who ruin their steaks. People I know who order their steak well done are strange people. I mean really strange people in other areas. Is it a coincidence? I think not.
    The following users like this post: HellVol

Meh. Ruining a steak is not "thinking differently." You can try to couch it that way, but you know it's horseshit. It's usually squeamish girly men who can't stand the sight of a little red who ruin their steaks. People I know who order their steak well done are strange people. I mean really strange people in other areas. Is it a coincidence? I think not.
    Marcus Dupree liked his well done with ketchup when he was at OU.......

And I rest my case.

Yeah and look what happened to him

What is it called when you like just above medium rare but just below medium? That's what I like.

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    What is it called when you like just above medium rare but just below medium? That's what I like.
    A pain in the ass......