Steaks.

Posted 787 day(s) ago by wendyaveli165843 Views 2544 Replies
Page 3 of 51 1 2 3 4 5 13

Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    A pain in the ass......
    So nothing out of the ordinary for me, then. Got it.

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    What is it called when you like just above medium rare but just below medium? That's what I like.
    Medium-medium rare

Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Medium-medium rare
    I would prolly have said medium rare +
    The following users like this post: Coach

Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    $50
    That's a ****ing steal.
    The following users like this post: SoonerArtillery

I would prolly have said medium rare +
    Anyone eating steak at my house who wants it more than MR gets to plate their own.

Ate at Perry's Steakhouse in Frisco tonight. Pretty tasty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    A pain in the ass......
    yep.
    The following users like this post: McRib

Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    Anyone eating steak at my house who wants it more than MR gets to plate their own.
    I'll remember that when you invite me over.

What is it called when you like just above medium rare but just below medium? That's what I like.
    Perfect.
    3 users like oucub23's post: Clark W. Griswold, McRib, OrionJc

I'll remember that when you invite me over.
    I'll buy the steaks, I'll fix the asparagus, I'll fix the potatoes and salad, I'll fix the banana pudding, I'll buy the booze and make drinks, and I'll cook the steaks........up to medium rare. At that point all steaks are removed unless said guest wants it left on longer, at which point I simply hand the tongs over for self-plating.

I'll buy the steaks, I'll fix the asparagus, I'll fix the potatoes and salad, I'll fix the banana pudding, I'll buy the booze and make drinks, and I'll cook the steaks........up to medium rare. At that point all steaks are removed unless said guest wants it left on longer, at which point I simply hand the tongs over for self-plating.
    Ahem. I'll make the banana pudding.
    The following users like this post: Clark W. Griswold

That's actually perfect. Once you pull the steaks off, if you let them rest they'll continue to cook up to the perfect temp.
    2 users like oucub23's post: McRib, SiggyPoke

Yep that's the way to do it and a perfect supper.

Originally Posted by Fostercluck View Post
    Lenny Henry was a pivotal part of my upbringing. ****ing AWESOME. His early 80's show stopped our household cold no matter what was going on, and was probably the major incentive behind our keeping our tele license current.

WHO SELLS A ****ING LICENSE TO WATCH TELEVISION!?!?!?

And now on topic...
    One of the original "Good Eats" episodes has Alton Brown using a cast iron skillet to cook a steak, and I do this a lot now, but one of the later episodes has him simulating a Salamander broiler by using a charcoal chimney placed over the steak. Haven't tried that but some people say it's really good. The thing is that Salamanders get well over 1000 degrees and thus sear the living **** out of the steak right away, leaving the nice dry aged goodness on the inside.

I'll typically stick a decent steak in a fridge for a couple of days, wrapped in paper towels.. no it's not "blood" as such but I like getting rid of all that ****ing water they sold me, and getting down to where the fat melts more than the water boils. Matter of taste I guess.

None of these methods approach what can be had at a decent high end steak joint because they poach the best meats before they reach retail, and as someone mentioned, the quality of the cut is 80% of the fight. Unless you put ketchup on it in which case go **** yourself.

Originally Posted by krypton View Post
    Lenny Henry was a pivotal part of my upbringing. ****ing AWESOME. His early 80's show stopped our household cold no matter what was going on, and was probably the major incentive behind our keeping our tele license current.

WHO SELLS A ****ING LICENSE TO WATCH TELEVISION!?!?!?
    I really hate the British model of TV and radio. The whole license concept is counter to everything we know in the USA. I go round in circles with my BBC Radio Norfolk friends who just shrug their shoulders because it's the only way of life they know.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    That's actually perfect. Once you pull the steaks off, if you let them rest they'll continue to cook up to the perfect temp.
    Well, I see where you went with that. Technically correct, because I would actually have to take them off a tad BEFORE they became MR. However, with steaks, the time a steak needs to "rest" is really not that great. But I see what you're saying. So, c'mon over!!!
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Ahem. I'll make the banana pudding.
    BS. You may be the queen of bread pudding and all that, but you can't come close when it comes to banana pudding. No way sistuh!!!!

BS. You may be the queen of bread pudding and all that, but you can't come close when it comes to banana pudding. No way sistuh!!!!
    Challenge issued.

Once challenge is accepted, I will form a panel of judges. Consisting entirely of me.
    2 users like oucub23's post: McRib, SiggyPoke

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    Challenge issued.

Once challenge is accepted, I will form a panel of judges. Consisting entirely of me.
    Bring it, ladies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pudding Rassling!!!

Taking an employee to Bobs Steak and Chops to night.

This thread went really Weird.
    2 users like Slytherin's post: McRib, SiggyPoke

Originally Posted by ThievingMagpie View Post
    Pudding Rassling!!!
    I just had this image of John Candy in Stripes
    3 users like Crazyivan's post: Clark W. Griswold, SiggyPoke, ThievingMagpie

Originally Posted by wendyaveli View Post
    I agree!

The gas isn't that bad... Was different the first time he cooked it for me, but I'm used to it now. I need to learn how to cook one.

this is the method i use...
    lump charcoal.....and a couple of chunks of hickory

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

Originally Posted by wendyaveli View Post
    We went either for Valentines Day last year or randomly last summer. We will see how it goes.

I would never take you there for valentines. It's horrible! I like a crusted steak but they ruin theirs!

Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    You cannot beat a steak cooked over wood coals. However, who has the time for that anymore? Next option is charcoal - but not the chemical laden Kingsford shit. The 100% wood charcoal. Third option, and the one I (and I assume most people) use is the gas grill. Good, but not nearly as good as a wood-cooked steak.
    Not a fan of wood cooked steak. Too much smoke flavor to me, and I hate smoked meats (traumatic fire experience as a kid). I can't stand charcoal! I can pick out charcoal cooked meat any day and its disgusting to me! Ill take gas any day of the week! Gas doesn't impart it's own flavor on the meat like the others, and I like my meat to stand on its own merits!

1. Gas grilled
    2. Pan seared
    3. Broiled
    Wood cooked
    Charcoal

Originally Posted by ChpThril View Post
    Not a fan of wood cooked steak. Too much smoke flavor to me, and I hate smoked meats (traumatic fire experience as a kid). I can't stand charcoal! I can pick out charcoal cooked meat any day and its disgusting to me! Ill take gas any day of the week! Gas doesn't impart it's own flavor on the meat like the others, and I like my meat to stand on its own merits!

1. Gas grilled
    2. Pan seared
    3. Broiled
    Wood cooked
    Charcoal
    You poor ****.
    6 users like Slytherin's post: Bob, Breadburner, ChpThril, FutureInactiveAccount, ngintunr, Wailer

You poor ****.
    See I would say you're the one imparting flavors onto your meat instead of letting it stand on its own! There's a reason the top steak restaurants use 1,2, & 3! Well... Mostly 2 &3

See I would say you're the one imparting flavors onto your meat instead of letting it stand on its own! There's a reason the top steak restaurants use 1,2, & 3! Well... Mostly 2 &3
    I'm thinking you've just never had a decently cooked over wood steak. I've had steaks that taste exactly like you describe - from people who don't know that you have to let the wood completely burn and begin to ash before you ever think about putting meat on it. I've had steaks over Kingsford that tasted like chemicals. I've had steaks that tasted like lighter fuel because people put them on too soon.

I also smoke with pecan and pear only. I used to use hickory, but it's just too strong. I don't like most BBQ joint meat because they use hickory and they just pound it with heavy smoke the whole cooking process.

I don't let the smoke roll hour after hour. I let the pecan chips kind of die out, then add a few for light smoke, then let them die again. I do that for a couple hours, then no more smoke. Only low heat to finish.

God didn't make propane grills for cooking. Some lazy ****er did. God made trees for that shit.

I'm thinking you've just never had a decently cooked over wood steak. I've had steaks that taste exactly like you describe - from people who don't know that you have to let the wood completely burn and begin to ash before you ever think about putting meat on it. I've had steaks over Kingsford that tasted like chemicals. I've had steaks that tasted like lighter fuel because people put them on too soon.

I also smoke with pecan and pear only. I used to use hickory, but it's just too strong. I don't like most BBQ joint meat because they use hickory and they just pound it with heavy smoke the whole cooking process.

I don't let the smoke roll hour after hour. I let the pecan chips kind of die out, then add a few for light smoke, then let them die again. I do that for a couple hours, then no more smoke. Only low heat to finish.

God didn't make propane grills for cooking. Some lazy ****er did. God made trees for that shit.
    LoL out of the hundreds they can't all be done wrong. But again.... My pallet and nose are highly sensitive! I can pick out flavors in beers and scotch's that most people never knew were there. What can I say... I'm a prissy ****

LoL out of the hundreds they can't all be done wrong. But again.... My pallet and nose are highly sensitive! I can pick out flavors in beers and scotch's that most people never knew were there. What can I say... I'm a prissy ****
    Poor Wendy.
    The following users like this post: ChpThril

How do you get the wood going for grilling? I'm assuming you use pecan wood from your place and aren't buying wood somewhere?

Order your Ribeyes Medium (or Medium-Plus depending on the steakhouse). A hot but still red center is the optimal way to cook a Ribeye due to the amount of fat in the steak and the inability of cold fat to impart flavors to the rest of the beef.

Filets are good for everything from cold and maroon center to hot and red center, Strips are good from warm and red to hot and red.

Which raises another point. Quit ordering things on the Rare to Well scale and start telling your servers/chefs how you want your steak to be (Cold to the touch and purple to hot to the touch, hot pink color to completely brown). Medium Rare can be anything from cool to the touch with a dark red color to hot red center, depending on who you're ordering from (including those cooking out)

Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller View Post
    How do you get the wood going for grilling? I'm assuming you use pecan wood from your place and aren't buying wood somewhere?
    charcoal

Well sometimes. I buy the 100% real wood charcoal and fill up my chimney starter with it. I get some charcoal hot, then put small pieces of pecan on it until they're burning good, then add larger pieces. It's a time-consuming process to get a great fire for grilling steaks. I only do it for really special occasions when we have really special meat.

Wood charcoal (not Kingsford) is what we usually use, and if it's just me and the wife and we're in a hurry, we use the gas grill. A couple weeks ago we had a couple Iowa ribeyes out and it was about 8pm when I got home. No charcoal, so I go light the gas grill...no gas. So we cooked them in a pan on the stove with a bit of olive oil. They were OK, but they can't come close to a wood-cooked steak.

Yes, we have several lifetimes worth of pecan on the place. Come get you some.

I would never take you there for valentines. It's horrible! I like a crusted steak but they ruin theirs!
    My bad bro! I can't remember everything lol

The following users like this post: ChpThril

charcoal

Well sometimes. I buy the 100% real wood charcoal and fill up my chimney starter with it. I get some charcoal hot, then put small pieces of pecan on it until they're burning good, then add larger pieces. It's a time-consuming process to get a great fire for grilling steaks. I only do it for really special occasions when we have really special meat.

Wood charcoal (not Kingsford) is what we usually use, and if it's just me and the wife and we're in a hurry, we use the gas grill. A couple weeks ago we had a couple Iowa ribeyes out and it was about 8pm when I got home. No charcoal, so I go light the gas grill...no gas. So we cooked them in a pan on the stove with a bit of olive oil. They were OK, but they can't come close to a wood-cooked steak.

Yes, we have several lifetimes worth of pecan on the place. Come get you some.
    Pecan is my absolute favorite wood to smoke(chicken)/grill(steaks) with. I bring back several lbs. of it when I am in SE Texas (Personal preference on taste and moisture in the wood). I know what Chp was talking about, He probably had some idiot cook/smoke a steak to death with only hickory or mesquite and got a mouthful of smoke. (We've all been there)

Charcoal is hard to do right in OK due to the wind blowing around all your ashes onto your food. In windy OK Gas>Charcoal. But if it is not windy Gas< Charcoal.

But I agree with Sly (wtf did I just say ) you need someone to comfort you and cook you a decent wood fire steak.

I've had steaks that tasted like lighter fuel because people put them on too soon.
    Ugh. I watched the guy light the fire with an unreasonable amount of lighter fluid, ran in, got the steaks and then threw them on he said "This is how I sear 'em" I didn't say anything because there is nothing more annoying than being "That guy" but...end result.....
    The following users like this post: ThievingMagpie

Originally Posted by FutureInactiveAccount View Post
    Pecan is my absolute favorite wood to smoke(chicken)/grill(steaks) with. I bring back several lbs. of it when I am in SE Texas (Personal preference on taste and moisture in the wood). I know what Chp was talking about, He probably had some idiot cook/smoke a steak to death with only hickory or mesquite and got a mouthful of smoke. (We've all been there)

Charcoal is hard to do right in OK due to the wind blowing around all your ashes onto your food. In windy OK Gas>Charcoal. But if it is not windy Gas< Charcoal.

But I agree with Sly (wtf did I just say ) you need someone to comfort you and cook you a decent wood fire steak.

Ugh. I watched the guy light the fire with an unreasonable amount of lighter fluid, ran in, got the steaks and then threw them on he said "This is how I sear 'em" I didn't say anything because there is nothing more annoying than being "That guy" but...end result.....
    I cut my pecan for cooking while I'm cutting firewood. When I have some limbs maybe the size of a chick's wrist in thickness I start cutting little disks maybe 3/4" thick just like you'd cut up celery. I keep them in big buckets on the back porch by the smokers and grills. Also, when I'm splitting pecan (pecan kind of shreds rather than split clean like oak) I throw them in other buckets.

If it's hot/dry or the wood has been sitting for months, I throw a bunch in a bucket of water for about an hour before smoking. Nothing like pecan...
    The following users like this post: Bob

Can we all agree that filet's are almost tasteless (w/o the bacon) and overrated!
    6 users like ChpThril's post: bushmaster06, Clark W. Griswold, Coach, OUEverest, SiggyPoke, Teo9969

Can we all agree that filet's are almost tasteless (w/o the bacon) and overrated!
    The only cut of steak I'll touch is medium rare rib-eye.
    2 users like SiggyPoke's post: ChpThril, Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by SiggyPoke View Post
    The only cut of steak I'll touch is medium rare rib-eye.
    I'm a ribeye guy myself. But NY strips are growing on me
    2 users like ChpThril's post: SiggyPoke, SoonerArtillery

1. Gas grilled
    2. Pan seared
    3. Broiled
    Wood cooked
    Charcoal
    Considered Sous Vide? I know we had a thread about it on here somewhere. I am really considering picking one of those machines up. Everything I have read about them reminds me a lot of how you like your steaks. I don't hate you for your tastes, to each his own.

I do like a little smoke flavor. I picked up a couple of very nice KC strips today that I am going to cold smoke, and then reverse pan sear.

Depends where you get them. Or on where the restaurant gets them. I've had more consistently good steaks when I've ordered filets than with any other cut.

Dinner turned out nice. 2 hours of cold smoke on the steaks then a quick sear.

4 users like SoonerArtillery's post: Clark W. Griswold, MikeLucky, Slytherin, SoCaliSooner

Originally Posted by SoonerArtillery View Post
    Dinner turned out nice. 2 hours of cold smoke on the steaks then a quick sear.

Amazeballs

Originally Posted by SoonerArtillery View Post
    Considered Sous Vide? I know we had a thread about it on here somewhere. I am really considering picking one of those machines up. Everything I have read about them reminds me a lot of how you like your steaks. I don't hate you for your tastes, to each his own.

I do like a little smoke flavor. I picked up a couple of very nice KC strips today that I am going to cold smoke, and then reverse pan sear.
    I just can't bring myself to cook a steak for 2 hours lol when I can be done in 6 mins... 3 mins a side

I just can't bring myself to cook a steak for 2 hours lol when I can be done in 6 mins... 3 mins a side
    Yeah, the steak he cooked looks ****ing tremendous. But if I'm going to fire up a smoker and waste a few hours I'm gonna have about 40 pounds of ribs, some sausages, a chicken or three, and maybe a few fatties. I'm not making that kind of mess for a couple steaks. Then again, I have a job or 3...

I'm a ribeye guy myself. But NY strips are growing on me
    Strips are my favorite. Great flavor, just tender enough, but enough texture to let you know you're eating real food, withot the hunk of fat in the middle like ribeyes.
    2 users like bushmaster06's post: Aurora, Sieve

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    Strips are my favorite. Great flavor, just tender enough, but enough texture to let you know you're eating real food, withot the hunk of fat in the middle like ribeyes.
    I cant like this statement enough!
    The following users like this post: Aurora

Originally Posted by bushmaster06 View Post
    That gristle is what I like about the ribeyes.

No. We can't.
    3 users like FutureInactiveAccount's post: 87sooner, oucub23, ThievingMagpie