'17 DT Marvin Wilson - Offer - Signed with FSU

Posted 759 day(s) ago 244183 Views 1112 Replies
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11

Recruitment '17 DT Marvin Wilson - Offer - Signed with FSU

http://247sports.com/Player/Marvin-Wilson-39194
    https://sports.yahoo.com/oklahoma/fo...-Wilson-163956
    http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2914209/marvin-wilson

The 2017 DT is one of, if not the most sought after defensive lineman in the country. With offers from just about everyone in the country, Sooners DL coach Diron Reynolds has plenty of competition for the star defender from Bellaire, Texas.

I had the chance to catch up with Wilson to see where the Sooners stand right now for him. One thing I came with from that conversation was that Wilson is definitely open to a lot schools at the moment, which makes sense considering he’s just a junior and still fairly early in the recruiting process. But during the course of our chat, Wilson did allow that OU is one of his top schools right now.

Wilson went on to say he plans on visiting OU in the future, but that visit may not occur until after this season. Wilson also said that he and Reynolds speak several times a week. In fact, Wilson said he is really close with Reynolds and loves his laid back approach to recruiting him. Wilson said the other schools at the top of his list is LSU, Texas, A&M, Baylor and Michigan. – (Brandon)
    https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ou-...nolds-tim-kish
    Last edited by p23570; November 27th, 2015 at 04:22 AM.

Beast. This is the type of dude that makes an entire class if you land him.
    The following users like this post: soonerUthenMe

His thoughts on the OU Baylor game, "It was men amongst boys."

Very similar to Ed Oliver

Reel him in Calvin, thats your first order of business as DL coach
    3 users like soonerUthenMe's post: HCF01, northspeter, OU812

He's wearing an A&M jersey in a tweet from Feb 21.

Bump cause I've never bumped before...

Would love to get this kid. OU hasn't had a defensive tackle this talented since current Tampa Bay Buc All-Pro Gerald McCoy.

Any chance we can get him to campus for spring practice? We could take up a collection for "expenses".

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    Any chance we can get him to campus for spring practice? We could take up a collection for "expenses".
    LINK

Was told DB Kary Vincent (@__KCINCO) and DT Marvin Wilson (@RDMW6) plan to visit #OU on 4/9.

wish granted!!! we need to pack the house!!!

Huge that he's coming in for the Spring game.

Six to midnight. BRONER!!!!!!
    The following users like this post: RockE

The tweet has since been deleted

Hm..... i still see it..... wonder whats up with that

Yeah, deleted it.

He spends as much time on the LSU campus as Will Sunderland did here at OU during his recruitment. My guess is that Wilson is just using visits to keep the heat off his Agent and LSU
    The following users like this post: ChpThril

Get excited every time I see this thread in the queue on the front page
    2 users like barlowd's post: BoomSoon2016, DirtyBob

sigh.... Got our hopes up

Star 2017 DT, Marvin Wilson (@RDMW6) & star 2017 OT, Walker Little (@walkerlittle45) will visit #OleMiss on April 9th. @allolemiss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by soonerUthenMe View Post
    He spends as much time on the LSU campus as Will Sunderland did here at OU during his recruitment. My guess is that Wilson is just using visits to keep the heat off his Agent and LSU
    Yep, I've been saying for a while, he's all LSU. We'll see though

Originally Posted by ChpThril View Post
    Yep, I've been saying for a while, he's all LSU. We'll see though
    You're probably right as Wilson's family has LSU connections but you would think that the number of DT's that signed last year alone would cool his interest.

Originally Posted by HCF01 View Post
    You're probably right as Wilson's family has LSU connections but you would think that the number of DT's that signed last year alone would cool his interest.

He's good enough that that's not going to affect his playing time and he knows it.
    The following users like this post: soonerlarry

The best don't have to worry about last year's recruits. He'll play as much as he wants wherever.

Per TFB:

"The other day I spoke to one of the coaches on staff at Episcopal where 2017 prospects DT Marvin Wilson and OT Walker Little play. And while an exact date has not been set up, the coach confirmed that Wilson, and likely Walker as well, are expected to visit Oklahoma sometime in the near future. I was told it’s just a matter of scheduling the right weekend.

Wilson has visits to Texas A&M and Ole Miss already lined up, but this coach mentioned the staff & Wilson are in regular communication with new OU defensive line coach, Calvin Thibodeaux. Interestingly enough, the position coach at Episcopal told me that he and Thibodeaux actually attended the same middle school together.

Also a note of interest. Like most commits from a particular school, SoonerSquad17 has their own group text message where they all communicate with one another. And I suspect to no one’s surprise, Marvin Wilson is included among those on said group text."
    2 users like HCF01's post: DirtySouth_Sooner, OU812

Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Very similar to Ed Oliver
    Not really. Marvin is taller and has nearly 40lbs on Ed.

That aside, dude is a game-changing DT at either a 3 or 4 technique. Dude ran a 5.17 forty and a 4.78 shuttle at 329lbs. That's scary. Dominated everyone at the Opening this weekend. He said OU is moving up his list, and said something interesting that I'm not sure how to interpret. He said the SoonerSquad17 does a better job recruiting him than our coaches. That can be seen as good or bad, but I'm not sure which way to take it.

If you get a chance, listen to his interview. The kid talks 100mph and is a very motivated individual. You can tell his mind works extremely fast. I like that. http://www.scout.com/college/footbal...son-decide-nsd

EDIT: Sorry. Forgot to mention that he plans a top 10 this summer. Top 5 before his senior season. Will announce on NSD.
    4 users like melbitoast's post: ChipperJones10, ChocoLab, HCF01, OU812

Last edited by melbitoast; April 4th, 2016 at 08:57 AM.

Originally Posted by melbitoast View Post
    Not really. Marvin is taller and has nearly 40lbs on Ed.

That aside, dude is a game-changing DT at either a 3 or 4 technique. Dude ran a 5.17 forty and a 4.78 shuttle at 329lbs. That's scary. Dominated everyone at the Opening this weekend. He said OU is moving up his list, and said something interesting that I'm not sure how to interpret. He said the SoonerSquad17 does a better job recruiting him than our coaches. That can be seen as good or bad, but I'm not sure which way to take it.

If you get a chance, listen to his interview. The kid talks 100mph and is a very motivated individual. You can tell his mind works extremely fast. I like that. http://www.scout.com/college/footbal...son-decide-nsd
    Wilson could play the 1, 3, or 4 and be equally successful. He's just that good. I'm not certain but I think he's being pursued as a NT in our defense.

Wilson could play the 1, 3, or 4 and be equally successful. He's just that good. I'm not certain but I think he's being pursued as a NT in our defense.
    Brain fart. I meant as a 1 as well. He's definitely in the mold of massive NT that typically ends up becoming the next 1st round pick from Bama. ****s. LOL
    The following users like this post: HCF01

Bama out now that their DL coach resigned b/c of recruiting violations

The following users like this post: p23570

Yeah, we'll see about that, but I hope it's true.

He sound be the#1 target

update this morning is that he is coming to OU for a visit!
    3 users like nolesooner's post: DirtyBob, DirtySouth_Sooner, freedombird

Originally Posted by nolesooner View Post
    **** yes.
    2 users like DirtyBob's post: freedombird, nolesooner

Originally Posted by nolesooner View Post
    June 4th.
    3 users like mborba22's post: freedombird, nolesooner, oupunk

Is he still going to make the trip tomorrow?

Sent from my 7040T using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by oupunk View Post

If he can get out of H town

Yes

Trivia God
    There is no off position on the Genius Switch.

Taking the SAT this morning and won't be into town until this evening.

Sunday it will be Marvin All Day Long.

And, yes, even though this is posted on Rivals that isn't my source about it.

8 users like StoopsIsLoose's post: Deepfried, HCF01, IKE93, Leroy Jenkins, p23570, soonerlarry, theSeanDon, Uncle Mo

That's what's up
    2 users like barlowd's post: HCF01, StoopsIsLoose

Wine and dine this kid you ****ers.

5 users like GoonerSooner's post: barlowd, HCF01, IKE93, SplitTD, Vodnik

Marvin doesn't appear to be starvin.
    You're welcome Barlowd.
    2 users like DirtyBob's post: barlowd, Strangers

now i'm just confused. there's some on tfb board saying that this guy's visit to norman lasted about as long as it took him to take that video posted above and now he is headed to stoolwater. for all the sunshine pumpers talking about how getting him to visit was huge, wonder how they feel now knowing he cut his visit short to go visit

We have zero chance of landing Wilson, but you get 5 stars on campus taking pictures and videos in your jersey then other players start taking notice and start looking at your school

Originally Posted by TheBorenSupremacy View Post
    We have zero chance of landing Wilson, but you get 5 stars on campus taking pictures and videos in your jersey then other players start taking notice and start looking at your school
    Oh I completely agree, he ain't coming here. I just thought it was funny a lot of people on tfb boards were saying how huge it was to get him here and it was the coaches chance to roll out the red carpet and then it turns out he is in and out of Norman and headed to Stillwater. It did sound like coaches know he isn't coming here so they are focusing on guys they actually have a shot with and not wasting time on a pipe dream

Originally Posted by max fischer View Post
    Oh I completely agree, he ain't coming here. I just thought it was funny a lot of people on tfb boards were saying how huge it was to get him here and it was the coaches chance to roll out the red carpet and then it turns out he is in and out of Norman and headed to Stillwater. It did sound like coaches know he isn't coming here so they are focusing on guys they actually have a shot with and not wasting time on a pipe dream
    I hope, and believe, the coaches are doing all they can "roll out the red carpet" to land the recruits they want regardless if that recruit is interested or not.

OU is not going win a nc going after recruits that have a interest in ou on their own. Good recruiters create the interest in their targets.

Originally Posted by max fischer View Post
    now i'm just confused. there's some on tfb board saying that this guy's visit to norman lasted about as long as it took him to take that video posted above and now he is headed to stoolwater. for all the sunshine pumpers talking about how getting him to visit was huge, wonder how they feel now knowing he cut his visit short to go visit
    Do we actually kbow that he cut his visit short?

Do we know if it was a planned short trip?

BOOMER!
    The following users like this post: theSeanDon

Originally Posted by IKE93 View Post
    Do we actually kbow that he cut his visit short?

Do we know if it was a planned short trip?

BOOMER!
    Honestly I have no clue. The brainiacs have been posting and tweeting for the past week that he was making this trip and they've made such a big deal of it it seemed like he would be in Norman at least a full day. If you read the comments section on tfb site there are several guys talking about how he was in and out of Norman and going to Stillwater which seemed to come as a surprise to several posters on there.

I hope, and believe, the coaches are doing all they can "roll out the red carpet" to land the recruits they want regardless if that recruit is interested or not.

OU is not going win a nc going after recruits that have a interest in ou on their own. Good recruiters create the interest in their targets.

Yeah, I didn't word my post right. I'm sure they did roll out the red carpet for the guy which I hope they would. I think it's important to keep the lines open with other guys that may not be as sexy of a name in the recruiting world but have mutual interest. Some of the coaches who are no longer here would fall in love with so and so 5 star who they had no chance with and put all their eggs in that basket and when they'd sign elsewhere, the coach would end up scrambling to fill a spot with a project player. The coaches we have on staff now do a way better job of balancing that.
    The following users like this post: oupunk